• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fat lot of good the alliance did then.

Still. this should be manageable providing on one decides to take advantage of your distraction.

Danish war of Unification, December 4th 1844 - December 13th 1846

gallery_denmark-flag.gif

Amalienborg, December 5th 1844

"So, generals, we are now officially at war with Norway and Sweden,
do you have any particular strategy in mind, General Christian?"
"Yes, your majesty, yesterday me, General Eskil and Rudolf came up with the following tactic:

warplan.jpg

"As you can see, sire, the first thing we will do is load 2 divisions onto the transport flotilla, then invade southern Norway.
We will also send along the Royal Danish fleet, to make sure the transport ships will not get destroyed by any hostile Swedish fleet, and to potentially attack the Norwegian one,
as their navy does not contain any major warships. Then we will comission a third division to be sent to Norway, to attack the area of Bergen."

"I see.. what about the Swedes, will they retaliate? And what about their navy?"

"They will probably focus on crossing the Kattegat strait, but as long as our navy will be present, they won't have a chance.
And if they do decide to decide to chase our troops out of Norway. It will take a while before they arrive, as the roads are in very bad shape due to the winter.
As for their navy, yes, it is dangerous but we should be able to defeat it and deny them acces to the North sea."
"Good, carry those plans out, and we will see how it all goes"
"Yes, your majesty!"

And so, the war started!

Troops were loaded into ships, the warfleet sailed into kattegat strait onto Oslo. And the first assault was made on Norway

firstattack.jpg

Early in the war, Norway did not offer much resistance. Neither did Sweden.
And so, a few months later a second assault was launched upon Norway. 1 division marched into Bergen.
While stavanger was almost captured, good news came that had a very big impact on the War.
Russia joined our cause as they proposed to us a fully Military alliance, of which was hoped to be worth more than the one of France.
Also to be noted, a first rate ship-of-the-line had been constructed and added to the Royal Navy.

ALLIANCErussia.jpg
march61845-1.jpg

Things from here on went very well, the Swedo-Norwegian fleet had no chance against the one from both Denmark AND Russia.
This became apparent out of the Battle of Kattegat, where a joint fleet of 12 Danish ships and 3 Russian ones
crushed their Swedish Opponents by sheer strenght. By now, the first plan had pretty much been completed, and a second final plan was introduced.

battleofkattegatmarch1845.jpg
secondattackphasemarch1845-1.jpg

"Generals, i'm proud of you! The War has gone well until now. How will you continue?"
"Very simple, your majesty, after an assault has been placed on Visby, we will attack at another position in Norway, just above Bergen, to encircle the Norwegians.
We don't have to worry to much about the Swedes, they are busy fighting our allies up north. The Norwegian fleet has been annihilated, and the Swedish one is down to it's knees,
so we don't have to worry about the seas anymore!"

As the Copenhagen garrison left for Norway, there was no line of defence for Continental Denmark, therefore a fleet of 3 ships was placed at the strait for the time being.

Nymphen1815-3656-1980-n.jpg
finallyresistancejuly1845.jpg

A frigate roaming the Kattegat strait------------------------------Norwegian troops finally realizing the danger of their situation

A good start to the war- very useful to have the Russians and their fleet on your side. Just make sure not to underestimate the Swedes, they can surprise you.

The First War of Danish Unification, December 5th 1844 - December 13th 1846
Part 2
gallery_denmark-flag.gif

Norwegian troops finally began to flock in as the south western shore of Norway was now under complete Danish control,
however, as Danish moved onwards to Christiana, the Norwegian capital, things started out bad.
The first division sent was almost defeated if a second one hadn't been sent in, as we had a big disadvantage because of the river seperating the two provinces.
Also, the division in stavangard, just being reinforced due to very low strength, got under attack by a norwegian infantry division and almost lost because of the low moral.
A defeat however was prevented by sending a newly recruited division from Denmark, just on time.

battleofchristiania.jpg
1846april2.jpg

A second battle of Christiana also found place, this one however was an easy victory for the Danes, as they were dug in.
However, after capture of Lillehamer, Swedish divisions started pouring in into the northern conquered Norwegian province of Trondheim which was currently being defended by a 4500 man strong division,
maybe not enough to fight off the 10.000 strong Swedish one.
They gave a tough fight, but as the strength of the Danish division reached 3000, it was decided to send in a second Danish division to turn the tide of the battle.

battleoftrondheim.jpg

The Battle of Trondheim

After lillehamer had been taken in. His Majesty King frederick the 6th was adviced to force a peace treaty on Norway, as it stood on it's last legs, and the Danish economy was suffering heavily.
A peace treaty was proposed and accepted by the Norwegians.
Another important factor for offering the treaty was the threat of the Russians.
They might have made a peace offer in the future with which Denmark wouldn't agree, and thus losing hard fought territory.

As a stretched part of Norway was now Danish, the big area was now very fragile against the Swedes, who had used their time to train many new divisions,
and their army count had gone up to 12 (excluding their army at the strait)

december131846ddd.jpg

The gathered Danish troop were able to fight off an invading unit of 3 Swedish divisions, but manpower was running really to about 2.
A rebellion turned up in Stavanger in the south and not so much later also in central Norway in Roros. The treasury was constantly floating around 500 pounds and rebellion rates were high in continental Denmark.
Along with the danger of a massive Swedish counterattack right into Danish Norway (even though they were defending their border with Russia, many troops were underway from Stockholm)
it was to be decided to offer a peace treaty between Denmark and Sweden with visby going to Denmark. They declined.

8 days another envoy was sent with the a peace offer. It seemed that the Swedish king had thought since the previous offer and decided to agree.
Even though Russia was still at War with Sweden, Peace returned to Denmark and the reconstruction of the economy was a main point,
as the armies and importing certain equipment to train them had been very, very expensive.

Results of the War for Denmark

Russia (still fighting) and Denmark versus.
Norway and Sweden (still fighting)

navalstatisticssweden.jpg

Norwegian fleet gone, 5 swedish ships sunk by Denmark
1 Danish Frigate sunk

Territory gained: Visby, Christiansand, Bergen, Stavanger, Roros , Trondheim, Lillemhammer, Bodo (bought from Russia for 1500 pounds and 2 techs)

Last edited:
Excellent, a well played war! And Russia's alliance was lucky.

Fiftypence said:
A good result. Hopefully you'll be able to finish off Norway and get Skane next time around.
Getting the rest of Norway wont be such a big deal, it's only that since this first war sweden has been stacking huge amounts of armies (which i doubt they can even afford, but ok) at their borders with russia and at the strait, but hopefully i can get a landing at karlskrona the next time

likk9922 said:
Excellent, a well played war! And Russia's alliance was lucky.
thank you, and yes, i WAS lucky with Russia ;)
Ahure Mazda said:
A Danish AAR? Now they're defeating Sweden! :eek:

Dont be fooled, i still have a superior navy, but during the war sweden has built up a massive army, the next war wont be as easy

Genopbygning af Danmark - Reconstruction of Denmark, 1846 - 1851​

gallery_denmark-flag.gif

After the first Unification war was over and had left the King and the Kingdom of Denmark a victory.
Russia fought on in Swedish terrirory until late 1847 when they accepted a peace treaty with Sweden with parts of Northern Sweden added to the Russian Empire.
However, as the Swedish navy was almost completely gone, their army was big and in topshape.
A future war with them would not be easy, and reliance on an ally would probably be needed again.

The following years would be used to increase the army to 8 divisions, increase the navy to 19 warships, 3 transports. And get the economy rolling again.

However, in early 1847 two big events ocurred.

First of all, His Majesty King frederick the 6th Died. During the First unification war, he got ill while visiting the Danish troops in Norway.
His illness escalated, and on april the 5th , 1847, died. His successor was Frederick the 7th.

250px-Friedrichviidenmark.jpg

Soon, His majesty King Frederick the 7th demanded a meeting with his new advisor to discuss the issues of Denmark.

Amalienborg 1848

"Oh, a pleasure to meet you, your majesty, let me introduce myself, my name is Chri" "Silence! For your notice, i am not as a fool as my father was, knowing nothing of politics..
I for one will not ruin the economy of this Kingdom! I shall actually make this nation great!"
"As you say so, My lord. As i was saying, I am your advisor Christoffer, i am here to advice you, which you clearly *cough* don't need on important matters.
For example; an important message has arrived out from Germany.."

"Say nothing, they don't like our reforms or assimilating the German population of South Denmark into Danish citizens?
This is my country, not the Kaiser's. Ignore the Prussian shouts, and proceed with the assimilation.."

slesvigisours.jpg

"Now, for the other issues. It is a royal order for the island of Visby and Danish Norway to be laid with railroads, further, i want to expand both the Army and the Navy, increase Army expendure.
Encourage the building of new industry and.."

"Wait, wait sire, all of that will be very costful, we have just gotten out of a war, is it really wise to invest that much money so soon!?"
"You are to do what you're being told! Encourage private enterprises to invest in our Northern territories and build new factories in our Homeland.
We wont be in an alliance with Russia for far more longer , and we've got to have a good standing navy AND army to protect our country. And that's a royal order!

"Y-yes, your majesty *sigh*"

The New king looked like he could get things done, atleast, that was what the population hoped

However, it seemed the new king COULD get things done. His new policy of temporarily lowering import tariffs did work.
Constructing railroads was now much more cheaper for companies. And as the products of Norway kept a Lumber factory going, area's with lots of woods were laid full of tracks, to increase efficiency.
All newly aqquired territories' infrastructure were quickly improved and economy was already improving alot by 1849

Even with a new fully equiped division at home and a colonial division in Norway, and two new warships,
money was still being added everyday to the treasury.
And with new railroad techniques being discovered, profits raised even more, to a good 8 pound positive even when rich taxes were at a minimum.

economy.jpg

Brief Colonial War - Denmark versus China/Ryukyu - 1850-1851

Also, his majesty decided not to only invest in his own country, but also invest in gaining new colonies.
As China was humiliated by the UK, not much prestige was lost upon declaring war and the first target was annexation for Ryukyu.

takingofryukujan1849.jpg
July71849colonyryoko.jpg

Despite the advantage for Ryukyun troops, the rather modern and in more strength able Danish army was able to defeat them. And soon be in control of the area.
Denmark now had it's first colony in the pacific. But this was not enough for the King, he wanted more.
Taiwan was quickly hereafter invaded by Danish troops, and despite rebel and Chinese empire troops being present, this could not stop Denmark for being victorious.

Taiwan also was quickly seized by the Danes, and we got a quick peace with China, on the conditions of Taiwan being handed over to Denmark.

february1850taiwancaptured.jpg

..To be continued (duh :p )

Definitely need to expand Danish power. At some point you will need to deal with Prussia. A Russian alliance being very useful in that regard.

Ahura Mazda said:
That was a smart move, will you take other colonies?

Yep, there's still plenty of land left to *civilise*

stnylan said:
Definitely need to expand Danish power. At some point you will need to deal with Prussia. A Russian alliance being very useful in that regard.

Im definitely aware of the schleswig war, and ofcourse im preparing for it

The alliance with Russia will certainly be helpful, nice done against China

China: the land of people. :p

Nice little boost there.

Getting Stærkere - Getting Stronger, Denmark 1851-1856

gallery_denmark-flag.gif

It was a sunny day in Copenhagen, and the sun did not set in Denmark, atleast for now..
Extra iron railways were laid in Norway, and aside from a couple of Danish overseas colonies, every part of the country had the latest infrastructure, and was therefor more productive.

Because of the good curent economy (with full taxes and tariffs 24 pounds a day), it could be afforded to order many new ships.
It was also to be decided to train a new infantry division with guards brigade to reinforce the Danish defensive forces in Norway.

march1853navalcomparison.jpg

The navy as of march 1853, 2 frigates and 2 M-o-W were at that time under construction

Also, because a couple of factories weren't profitable enough, in this case a glass factory and canned food factory, they were pulled down to make place for three new more productive ones.
A regular clothes factory, to provide the wealthy Danish citizens with clothery.
A steel factory, to increase income and provide Denmark with a good necissary for Colonial projects.
And a Chemical plant to support it.

factoryregularclothes.jpg
june1852factory.jpg
chemicalfactoryjuly1858.jpg

Also, a new colony was added to the Kingdom. The French colony of Madagascar Boina was offered on with 5000 pounds and a technology.
The offer was accepted and the colony transferred to its legal owner. The treasury was alot emptier then it was, but it was worth it, meant the King.
As Madagascar could potentially well be an area of colonial expansion in the future.
It seemed the French needed the money for the just started Crimean war.

colonyboughtfrancejan1854.jpg

Two weeks passed as France decided to offer us the chance to grab some Russian territory in Norway.
They offered a military alliance, and no harm to our relations with Russia were done that manner.
As over a 100 (!) French and British ships sailed into the Baltic sea. Russian patrols in Norway were marching south to protect the Border with the Ottomans.
It was decided to declare war and march to victory, as everybody else in Europe was doing it anyway, why not us?

dec1853.jpg

Alas, as troops were almost nearing Russian grounds, a peace treaty was already signed before the Danish Fleet and Army could get in any action at all.
Nothing was lost, but nothing was won either. Or maybe. We did have now an Alliance with France.
It could come out in handy, but the King wasn't so sure as they betrayed us earlier in 1844.
Anyway, it turned out not necissary as the years went by and no help from the French was needed in any situation.

Not much later afterwards more news on more Global scale came.
The Taiping kingdom had declared war upon China and a hefty and especially long battle followed as the years passed by.
More bad news for them arrived when massive rebellions everywhere in the Chinese empire found place as they hadn't had enough on their hands with the Taiping.

jul1854china-1.jpg

As the peace treaty was already over by the beginning of 1856, His Majesty King Frederick The 7th decided to declare war on China once again to gain an extra colony in Asia.
The plan was to quickly assault China with a couple of fully equipped brigades.
As Danish ships could not see Chinese Imperial divisions defending it, as it seemed they were to busy with the massive rebellions and the revolting Taipei Kingdom. A perfect moment…

Amalienborg , January 1856

“Christoffer, come here!” “Yes, your majesty? What is it?”
“I have foreign and domestical reports that China is in chaos, and can not use any more enemies right now. What do you propose?"
“I don’t know sire, we already took Taiwan 6 years ago, I assume the peace treaty still lasts until this day..?”
“Wrong. The peace treaty has ended 2 weeks ago, which means we can go to war with them once again and add some extra land to our kingdom, basically, extend Danish colonial rule in Asia!”
“That is indeed a possibility , your majesty, China has it’s handful with the Imperial kingdom of Taipei and plentiful of rebellions. Where do you suggest we might attack?"
“To the southeast, near Taiwan. 2 extra native colonial divisions are already, and the two guardian divisions of Taiwan are planned to take place in the attack.
The navy will come in action aswell, so our navy will be sent aswell"

secondchinese-danishwar1855jan.jpg

And thus, war was declared on China. It was thought this would be an easy war. However, rebels fighting for their country of China might think otherwise..

to be continued with a short update on the colonial war...

Second Dano-Chinese Colonial War, Denmark 1856 - 1858

gallery_denmark-flag.gif

Transport ship "På søen", East-Chinese Sea, January 1856

*Wave strike* "Aaah, look at me, i'm soaked again, damn these waves. I hate this place, why did we leave formosa anyway? It was so beautiful out there.."
"Stop whining, you're a soldier, you're trained to be tough. Besides, did you actually think being a colonial trooper would mean being on vacation?"
"Well, not actually, that.. but, i liked sitting on the beach. Besides, i joined the colonial army just so i could get out of Denmark. Not so i could roam the Chinese mountains full of snow
"Can't you do anything but complain? If the King commands us to participate in the attack on China, by the name of the lord we will do so!"
"*Sigh* not your King's story again, you know, i'm really getting tired of y.."

shout: "Shore in sight, prepare for landing!"

"Yes, i know you're gettin tired of it, now let's get to work and capture some land for the King"
".... I hate you"

And so the first Danish forces reached out for the Chinese shore, as expected, not much resistance was given in the early beginnings of this war.
The Chinese Imperial troops could not spare much soldiers for the Danish front as they had to much trouble already with
the rogue nation Taipei and rebels who were taking advantage of the situation.
Therefore, ground was soon made on continental China.

invasionochina1856.jpg
chinesebattles1856.jpg

At first, things looked very good. Danish soops were superior in both quality and quantity.
Few Chinese imperial forces were able to make it there to defend their homeland as they were hold back by many factors.
However, as the war progressed, the Generals, led by their initial successes, became too confident.
As the four coastal provinces were already secured, they wanted more. A 2 division assault was made on more inland China, and another division was sent to invade the Island Hainan in the very south.
Therefore, forces became to weadspride, the perfect oportunity for rebels to rise up against their occupiers. From here on, it basically became a whack-a-mole.
Even a few Imperial forces finally made it to the front and the Army in Hainan was forced to quickly seize the island and quickly retreat to the main front, a Danish fleet was put in place at Hainan to make safe that no Imperial forces were to cross the strait.

1857jan.jpg

However, good news came. Great Britain ALSO declared war on China, and as Rebellions were slowly being pushed down by the Danish forces.
And asChinese Imperial troops forced into inland, so that the Danes could secure their already conquered area's, things were going to look better, and it was already half 1857.

Despite that, the king wanted an end of the war as soon as possible, as rebellions were still rising all over danish occupied China. Eventhough China had a new enemy with the Uk. Four
Danish divisions could not conquer alot more than it already did, as Taiping forces were grabbing their share aswell.
Little more than 6 offers of peace had to be sent before the Stubborn Emperor of China agreed to sign a peace. The terms were: The silk rich province of Mei Xian to Denmark.

However, it seemed that Mei Xian was worth the war after all. As itseemed to be a very, VERY profitable colony to Denmark; it produced 2.8 units of Silk, making more over 22 pounds of profit!

1858aprilwarwon.jpg

With this extra colony, the budget increased tremendously, and therefore extra military spendure could be afforded.
New ships were constructed, and an native madagascar unit in training, for future expansion:

income1858may-1.jpg
oct1858madagascardiv.jpg

to be continued.. 1858-1864

Now a colony on Africa, now you just need one in Oceania. Keep defeating the Chinese! ;)