• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dafool

Field Marshal
49 Badges
Apr 13, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Island Bound
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
First off let me say I'm new to posting here and even newer to AAR's, but to my advantage, I've lurked here for a while and I've picked up the idea. I'm not a particularly great player, especially when it comes to my economy, but I have picked up the military part quite well. Anyway, this is my first attempt to write one of these and any and all criticism is welcomed. I'm no history major, but I do know a bit, so if something is slightly off tell me so I can fix it. This AAR is centered around an ahistorical situation, like most, so obviously not everything will be historical. It explores, in EU3 terms, what might happen if Spain was more concerned about continental conquests instead of what's on the other side of the ocean. I plan on leaving colonization of the new world out of my immediate plans and instead, I shall turn Spain's gaze toward Europe and hopefully take my rightful place as the sole power there. So, without further delay:

Escudo_Reyes_Catolicos.png

Date: October 14th, 1399
Settings: All Default

Chapter 1: Creating the Alliance

king1.jpg

King Enrique III of Castille
Adm:6 Dip:5 Mil:5

King Enrique walked into the room. His advisers had much news to discuss with him. The recent events within Europe had led to interesting circumstances. The advisers stated that England teetered on the brink of war with France once more. Enrique looked puzzled. He asked as to what concern these events were to him. An adviser of great age quickly replied that if France was to get the English possessions on the continent, she might turn her sights elsewhere. He quickly added that France had long sought to expand her borders, and that France heading south toward Navarra and Aragón might one day be a possibility. Such a conquest would lead to a new power on the peninsula and that would compromise Castille's dominance greatly. Enrique seemed to catch on at this point. He asked what might be done to prevent such a problem. They explained that by capturing France's lower lands in the event of war, they might be able to permanently push her borders far beyond the Pyrenees, creating a buffer zone between Iberia and France that would deter them greatly. It all sounded good in theory, but everyone in the room knew good and well that even the mighty Castille could not match the raw manpower of France. They quickly laid a large scroll on the table and explained that it contained the plans for making an invasion possible. Many hours later the king and his entourage left the room, with the order that three diplomats were to be sent out.

aar1.jpg

Castille at the moment

The diplomats quickly returned from their respective assignments. They had all succeeded in their missions. An alliance between the major rivals of France was set in stone. Enrique sat with his advisers while studying maps. France stood no chance in the case of war. The king ordered that and additional 5K troops be trained and readied for the inevitable attack, while moving the current army north. It was only a matter of time at this point. Only a matter of time.

aar2.jpg

Our alliances are secure

More to come shortly.

What about your national decisions and missions? Will those be part of the AAR or will it focus completely on Spanish dominance of Europe?

Great Starting Alliances!!!

With enemies all around her, France's very existence is threatened.

:)

Ahh , always happy to see a Spanish AAR XD Good luck !

Chapter 2: Slaying the Beast

The King sat in his quarters enjoying some fine wine, when a loud knock came to his door. He went to it only to find one of his advisers standing there a bit bewildered. The king inquired as to what the problem was. The adviser quickly stated that his allies of England and Aragon have both declared war. "Is it the war?" asked the king. "Well, no your majesty. Aragon has invaded Navarra while England has sent troops to Brittany" said the adviser. "Well, then what is the worry?" asked Enrique. "Well you see, your majesty, both ask for our full cooperation against their enemies." "And?" questioned the king. "And well, these frivolous wars will only upset the people. If one were to gauge their unhappiness on a scale of -3 to 3, they might very well be at -2 if we follow through with this" explained the adviser. "We cannot give up the alliance. The people will cope. Send word of our support" stated the king.

Several months later, the king and his advisers sat in a room discussing the current state of events. Navarra had been turned into Aragon's vassal, while England still had troops positioned in Brittany, were their war had been fruitless. "My king, might I suggest something" said one adviser. "And what is that?" asked the king. "England has her forces, some 10K or so in total, already on the continent" explained the adviser. "And..." said the King. "If we were to declare war on France then all our pieces would be in place for a quick and decisive victory. Burgundy has some 16K troops in their lands, with us and Aragon each adding 12K to the count" said the adviser in an excited tone "and we would have nothing to lose. Our lands would likely not see a single French troop and the people could barely be more upset at the moment." The king pondered it for a second and then said with a sound of authority, "It seems fate has given us an unmistakable opportunity. Send out word the war with France has started."

aar3.jpg

France is screwed

The war, started in October of 1400, went much as planned. France split her armies down the middle. Half went to protect Normandy from English troops while the other half went to counter the Burgundian armies invading the Champagne area. Our army of 12K was split into three parts, two 3K man infantry units and one 6K man calvary unit. Our armies marched alongside the forces of Aragon and proceeded to besiege southern France. Our calvary unit took out the few small armies France had left to protect her underbelly. Our infantry quickly conquered the lands. Aragon provided much needed manpower to our sieges, so that we might speed the invasion even more. Meanwhile in the north, Burgundy and France proceeded to clash with great force as their massive armies fought continually for dominance. In an epic battle that would be remember by many, Burgundy scored a decisive victory over France in battle where France's 18K man army was reduced to a mere 5K, while Burgundy came out with 10K of her 16K man army. England, on France's other side, had invaded France's center and Normandy areas. France shook with fear and quickly started sending out requests for peace as enemies encroached upon her from all angles. By September of 1402, both England and Burgundy had taken peace deals with France. England received Perigord and Burgundy receives Lyonnais.

aar4.jpg

France is a little less scary in stripes

The king's original plan was to take over the whole of France and demand a great swath of lands and a great pile of ducats in return for peace. France's remaining armies were destroyed by our calvary and they had nothing with which to turn the tides. It was only a matter of time before our moment would come. Sadly, in January of 1403, Heretics rose up in out capital. The king, torn between domestic troubles and the rising number of rebels in France, decided it was time to end our glorious war of conquest. The king demanded only a few provinces and some money in return from the French.

aar5.jpg

Our war yielded some gains

Our soldiers came home and quickly extinguished the uprising in Toledo, while France on the other hand was left with no army, no navy, and a pathetic manpower. Her coffers empty and her people angry, France proceeded to crumble. 14K Norman nationalists fought in Normandy, with 7K Toulousian nationalists fought in the south. Even the French turned on themselves, with 7K French peasants rising up in the Champagne region. Truly we had crippled France in a way she would never recover from.

aar6.jpg

France in ashes

France left in ruins by the grand alliance forged by Castille!

Future wars should give Castille more of the valuable french lands...

Good lord, youve brought swift destruction to the French... I almost feel bad for them. With such a powerful alliance, have you any other major targets? A Castillian Jerusalem? A Castillian Mecca? :D

Mike von Bek said:
Good lord, youve brought swift destruction to the French... I almost feel bad for them. With such a powerful alliance, have you any other major targets? A Castillian Jerusalem? A Castillian Mecca? :D

I say a Castillian Constantinople!!! :D

Dafool said:
I might just make it there. I just finished playing through the next two "Chapters" and I can tell you this is going to be a very interesting game.
:D

Chapter 3: Making Our Claims

King Enrique sat on his throne. He and his allies had recently orchestrated a glorious campaign against France and had succeeded beyond doubt. The soldiers returned home and festivals were held. But, Enrique was not celebrating. There was still work to do. The recent invasions of France had forced Castille to expand her military. Enrique saw potential in conquering his neighbors. Aragon was currently out of the question, due to their excellent relationship and alliance. Portugal was also tempting, but they hid behind an English alliance to deter us. While the idea of conquering Portugal and seizing the English holdings in southern France sounded tempting, we simply lacked the capacity to go through with it. But, there was one more option. Granada. They were all that remained of the once strong Moorish invaders. They were weak with only 3K men to protect their nation. Enrique wanted to invade, but the nation was simply not in the shape for another war. Unrest in Castille was still around from the French war. Or so he thought...

aar7.jpg

Extremely convenient​

Uxbridge's skill in diplomacy quickly helped us reestablish control, and shortly thereafter Castille's armies moved south toward Granada. In September of 1404, Castille declared war on her enemies in the south. Through Granada's allies we were also at war with Morocco and Algiers. Our allies stood strong.

aar8.jpg

Like we really need them​

Needless to say, Castille's armies quickly took Granada's lands and peace was quickly established with them, although their allies still waged war against us.

aar9.jpg

Piece of Cake​

We started to use our small navies to transport troops into Morocco. We knew that it would be costly and tough to make any gains, and that a white peace would be acceptable. But our allies were ready to wage a grueling war. England, the current curia controller, called for a crusade against Algiers and all of our allies began bringing in troops. The attrition was horrible and the war seemed unnecessary. After a few month's of the war, it was decided that North Africa would better be conquered at a different date and Castille took the first white peace sent to them. In the mean time, France was falling apart.

aar10.jpg

Toulouse, Normandy, and Guyenne decided France wasn't so great​

So, with the Muslims pushed even farther back and France falling apart, things were good. A few years passed with little happening. News came that the old King of Burgundy was quite ill. King Enrique feared his friend's death might hurt their alliance. After inquiring into who might succeed the old king, he found that there were no heirs on record. Interesting he thought. Immediately Enrique ordered a trip to Burgundy to talk with the old man. They talked much and the king soon found that he had been chosen to take the throne of Burgundy when their king passed. But, he was warned, the Italians had also attempted to gain rights to the succession, but had been denied. Enrique wished his friend the best and headed back to Castille. A few months later the old king of Burgundy died and Enrique was told he would be the new king of Burgundy. But, as predicted, the Italians objected. So started the war of Burgundian Succession...

aar11.jpg

All I can say is sweet!​

Our allies once again joined the war. We faced a coalition of Italian forces comprised of Naples, Milan, and Genoa. Both England and Aragon dropped out after the Italian navies prevented them from landing troops. We marched our forces over the Alps and into Genoa. After a few quick battles with them, Genoa offer white peace which was welcomed so we might focus on Milan. Naples followed suit after I defeated their main army in Milan's lower holdings. After besieging two of their provinces and defeating their rather large army with our forces combined with Burgundy's forces, Milan was in trouble. Shortly thereafter peace was signed in January of 1410.

aar12.jpg

This is going to be fun​

Shortly before that war ended, we received a casus belli on Toulouse, to which England had just excommunicated. Seeing the opportunity as too good, Enrique declared war with no cost to the nation. Toulouse's army of 1K was quickly defeated and the province was under our control within a few months. Peace was quickly signed.

aar13.jpg

I love taking French lands​

So, with our holdings in France expanding, the infidels in the south receding, and Burgundy under Enrique's rule, our kingdom flourished.

aar14.jpg

This is our current situation​

Last edited:
Whatever you do, don't take out a loan or there's an event that will lower your relations with Burgundy. I discovered this in my Denmark game. Keep that relationship out of the negatives, and eventually you'll inherit them, which would be very sweet.

-Pat

Yes, I'm trying hard to keep good relations with them. I think it's currently around 130 or so. If I inherit them any time soon though, I'll be quite the empire for being so early into the game. Anyways, I'll add the next chapter soon. It's a good one too. :D

After you inherit Burgundy, ;) , You should become Holy Roman Emperor!