• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crash every time I try to load the mod. Seems to be happening when the flags are being loaded. Runtime error text: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. " :(

You have Rome patched to 1.3 right? Have no idea why that would happen... any modifications not using a mod-folder? What OS are you using (using XP myself, and it is possible there is some minor error that isn't seen as a problem there, but some other OS do)? Other mods work OK?

Not at the moment. Mostly because I don't buy things online (and IIRC Vae Victis is only available that way).
Do you download things online? because I will buy it for you.

You have Rome patched to 1.3 right? Have no idea why that would happen... any modifications not using a mod-folder? What OS are you using (using XP myself, and it is possible there is some minor error that isn't seen as a problem there, but some other OS do)? Other mods work OK?

Patched to 1.3, it was the only modification at the time (unzip to the mod folder, right?), using XP. After trying this one I installed another mod and it works fine. Must be a compatibility issue with something I have installed? Too bad--this one really seems like a neat mod. I'll give it a shot on my laptop if I have the chance--maybe I won't run into that problem on that machine.

(Edit) I did notice that the zip file is named lofmodv11.zip and the folder that unzips is named lofmodv12 Not sure if that creates a problem where the mod file tries to reference a non-existing directory or something like that (not so great at modifying EU-R myself).

Last edited:
I now think I know the problem, when making the zip I screwed up (or as I try to fix it, appearantly Windows causes it out of spite/inability to act in a sensible manner). The lofmod folder is the one that should be in the mod folder, for some reason Windows decided to add a redundant folder named after the folder the zip-file was in...

Will upload a new version that should be easier (and contain a file describing how to install run the mod) to actually get working (but that doesn't contain any new content). Should note it is uploaded now.

Last edited:
I now think I know the problem, when making the zip I screwed up (or as I try to fix it, appearantly Windows causes it out of spite/inability to act in a sensible manner). The lofmod folder is the one that should be in the mod folder, for some reason Windows decided to add a redundant folder named after the folder the zip-file was in...

Will upload a new version that should be easier (and contain a file describing how to install run the mod) to actually get working (but that doesn't contain any new content). Should note it is uploaded now.

Many thanks. It seems to be working fine now and it looks great. Thank you for your excellent work :D

Many thanks. It seems to be working fine now and it looks great. Thank you for your excellent work :D

Hope you'll enjoy it.

Do you download things online? because I will buy it for you.

Only patches mods etc. Thanks for the offer but no thanks ;).

But to get this working for VV (provided it doesn't already) wouldn't be too difficult for anyone with some modding skills. New text shouldn't be a problem, since I assume all new VV-text is in new textfiles. The history files shouldn't be a problem I think (doubt Paradox added any information that has to be in every history-file). This mods events could easily be disabled just in case, and after that the main things that as I assume would be in the common folder. countries.txt if VV adds any new countries, however all countries I added are in one place and it would be trivial to replace the country.txt with VV-one and add this mods countries (in this case it is probably a good idea to check that there are no duplicate tags). triggered_modifiers.txt is similar, all things added by this mod are in this case at the end, I suspect that file is changed in VV, so it would probably be a good idea even if it works. The main problem area would probably be cultures.txt, luckily at minimum all one have to do is make sure to add belgian and cappadocian, the new culture groups (libyan & diadochi: probably the most likely culprits for any problems) luckily only uses old cultures and are not necessary to get things going (although nice to have and like events something to restore after fixing any possible problems, wouldn't have added them otherwise, they are referred to by mediterranean_warf & numidian_warf in triggered_modifiers.txt, but that would be trivial to remove/comment out).

Would probably be less optimistic on the ease to get this to work in VV if I had done the government-changes I planned to do; in short rather then have tribes going straight to republics, there would be two intermediate governments, better then X Tribe but not quite as good as the real stuff, namely Tribal Republic & Tribal Monarchy - some tribes would start as these (and some monarchies would get demoted), and basically X Tribe ->(depending on type of tribe/leader traits etc.)->Tribal Y. Tribal Monarchy would then obviously make it possible to become another type of monarchy under the right circumstances, and Tribal Republic would be able to become any other type of republic, under the right circumstances.

Going to have the Edetani in the Saguntum province rather then the current guys in future versions. Partly because it seems like it might be a better choice historically speaking, partly because Edetani is a better name ;). This will however just be a change of name, so anyone that wishes to do so already can easily change it in peters.csv (if you aren't certain you can do it without a problem (like whatever program you use does funny things when you save the file making the game unable to recognize it or something) it might be worth considering making sure you have a backup of the file first).

However that isn't really the main reason for this post. I'm interested in some feedback; mainly about the following two things:
The Bosporan Kingdom; do you think they get divided by their tribal neighbours to often compared to the times they actually manage to prosper (for a given value of prosper).
Rome and Gaul; do you think Rome gobbles up the Gallic minors too quickly, and if so, do you have any ideas on how to slow the Romans down?

Personally I can see two ways, either strengthen the Gallic Tribes further (which might have to be done to a ridiculous extreme to have any effect though). Or do something about the fact Rome doesn't need CBs against them. While the no CB if 20 civ less then you can't AFAIK be modded, Rome could be made less civilized (70 just like Carthage, rather then the 90 I think they have).

This looks good, and I've always wished that the Rome map was actually full of 0PM, all vicious little tribes with big armies, as that would fit into historical descriptions of the way the ancient world worked. But then I suppose that is what the whole Barbarian uprising stuff is designed to represent...

Yeah it's a shame.
I'd love to see lots of 1 Province Minors pop up in the Mod Collection.
I plan to do a Rome AAR once i finish my Seleucid Game to test out the Collection. It would have been great to re-enact the Gallic wars and the conquest of Iberia facing several tiny nations.

These small fellows should not be made overpowered as you seem inclined to do as that would perhaps shift the balance too much.
But perhaps certain events or forced alliances could be pushed through?
Probably hard even impossible to do. But alliances should really be more prominent in EU:R. Ironically I find that one of the big shortcomings.
The little ones need to be able to ally against the big bogeyman.

The conquest of Gaul should also be worthwhile yet at the same time require a certain 'investment' on the part of a big player. Same with Spain.

Sadly there is a problem that the alliances are too static, if country x and y allies with each other they stay allied. And if x gets z to pay tribute, soon x and z are allies. That is really annoying. One wonders how many problems would disappear if alliances were more fluid. Too bad there isn't anything one can really do about it.

Also no CB needed for 20 less civ. That one is really annoying. It results in tribal nations getting gobbled up too quickly (and in my AAR was what I think made the Romans overextend themselves and get smashed into oblivion since their reputation was so bad everyone wanted to get at them, not to mention the damage caused by invading barbarian hordes). Will later see how Romans at 70 civ will work out. Hopefully slow down Roman rate of expansion, since though I'm not terribly fond of them it is better they expand slowly and consolidate what they get rather then expand like madmen and fall apart in the face of foreign invasions.

Will rebalance the warfare modifiers (the barbarian ones will probably become less overpowered), and have an idea to increase heavy infantry cost (to 2.5 or 3), so that Romans would now get a warfare modifier just like everyone else (allowing them to use the old cost of 2).

Also planning to slightly strengthen the Germanic tribes, including adding one or two tribes (something in Ampsivarii, and possibly also the Batavians). Also planning to add the Remi, they do seem to deserve being included. The Boii will also be made stronger (since their Suebi neighbours will get strengthened). Don't want to add too many tribes, though I think that more tribes would result in slightly weaker ones overall, due to no colonization (population do rise fast when <10, so colonization quickly increase total population). Maybe also going to decrease civilization spread, some other mods have done that I believe so it should be possible.

Hmmm as for alliances. I've had it happen that it is broken. But yeah overall it's quite static. Almost secondary.
Those who'd most benefit from it don't use them to group together. Instead the small fries sit around waiting to be gobbled up and the big ones have the boring and annoying prospect of taking stability hits to take out one province a time in the game.

Regardless i like your idea of making more barbaric nations. It fills the map and allows a larger part of the map to become 'active'.

This looks great. Very impressive. I think I'm with the majority of folks that almost DEMAND you get VV. :) In all seriousness, VV is easily had through gamersgate and I've never had issues with their store or connection. I only purchase games online now since I can download them anytime I want instead of having to lug around those un-ecological boxes/cds.