• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Okay...seeing as the Gold edition of the game was pretty cheap I have gone all in and bought it for the PC. Updated to patch 2.3.2 installed your mod and then moved my save file from the mac to the PC. I changed the end date in the defines file, played the thing fine and... and it still ends on January 1st 731. Is there some other process or is it simply a case of starting a brand new game? Or is this whole need the patch for everything been misinformation and changing the end date is a myth. Thanks in advance for any input.

The beta patch is 2.3.5 (the thread with it is not stickied). So that might be the problem (it should then end in 727 until the mods defines.txt is edited as the last selectable date becomes the date at which the game end).

Ah.. the wrong patch ploy. Okay I patched that up (I had used the one through the launcher), loaded up my save game and it works beyond the 1st January 731. Fantastic!! Thank you for your help with this, I can now get back to the game and win the war with Egypt, plot the invasion of Britannia and play big shot in the east.

I finally got up and downloaded the mod along with the new patch and started a campaign with Syracusae. In short: Great mod Lofman! This will see a lot of use before I need anything else :)

One thing I have been thinking of, and that might end up in the next version. As you might know it is possible to colonize provinces through decisions (just look at the migration decisions, of course they are connected to events to move over your entire population, but they do show that it is possible), so why not use this to allow expansion for some of those barbarian nations that lack the civilization level to colonize the standard way and that will have a hard time increasing it, like for instance the british tribes. After all if one like the Brigantes have done in my AAR unites the tribes there, it does feel a bit silly to have barbarian provinces that you can't take control over due to low civ levels (and as I am not planning to add any more tribes in Britain they can't be conquered; nor will starting civilization levels be increased there). So why not some decision that allows you to "colonize" the provinces when certain (not yet decided) criteria are met? If it works it could be used in other parts of the map as well (like Germania, and Hispania (if I do that then the civ-levels there will be dropped to ~45 rather then the ~50 it is at the moment)) but I will do it for Britain first.

I think that is a good idea, I've used it in my (unpublished) mod and it seems to usually work well.
Though sometimes it freezes the governor icon (I don't have any idea why) and then you can't appoint a governor before waiting a month or so..

Also one thing to help colonizing would be a decision or law for tribal nations to rise civilization spread (isn't that the one that matters when rising the civ level?) but would cause unrest or something, a bit like westernizing in EU games, maybe it could be done in different phases so you have to meet different requirements when going to "next level" of civilizing... Just an idea, perhaps I'll use it myself :p

i know i said it before, but i gotta concur with Kaamos and give you kudos again. time and time again, as all the "great" developers keep releasing tiring rehashes of old games like "the hollywood is out of ideas" cliche, this paradox's rome game coupled with only this mod has a special place on this old gamer's proverbial hard drive shelf.

Have had and will continue to look at it, can't see anything that would cause it in the mod (briefly thought about laws, but they are cleared with big government type changes like that, and in a civil war you would just get the rebels laws anyway). One possible thing springs to mind, are you using the latest beta patch? It does seem there are some crashbugs (I know for certain of one if trying to start during the First Emperor bookmark, dates before (and it seems after) work fine) in it. If so it might be worth it to try to see if the same thing would happen in vanilla, in which case it should be reported (unless it already has been of course).

Have had and will continue to look at it, can't see anything that would cause it in the mod (briefly thought about laws, but they are cleared with big government type changes like that, and in a civil war you would just get the rebels laws anyway). One possible thing springs to mind, are you using the latest beta patch? It does seem there are some crashbugs (I know for certain of one if trying to start during the First Emperor bookmark, dates before (and it seems after) work fine) in it. If so it might be worth it to try to see if the same thing would happen in vanilla, in which case it should be reported (unless it already has been of course).
Nope. I didn't update the game.

Hmm. Not sure what the cause is, though I did notice that enforcing the Lycurgan laws doesn't require a monarchy which it probably should. That shouldn't cause something like that but will fix it anyway.

--
Can note that another thing for when I get going again is that I am planning to overhaul the military stuff, in short the laws will be inventions or decisions (which they, as I even noted when I added them to begin with, fit better as), have an idea (a rather simple one I should have thought of back then) on how to do it without having excessive numbers of modifiers displayed as well as allowing reforming the military.

Just started playing Rome again for the first time in two years, decided to go with this mod and I must say it's brilliant. Just about everything I could want in a Paradox game set in this era has been made possible here. I look forward to any future developments with great interest.

Kudos.

I hope this mod is alive,because i just got Rome gold and vae victis and want to try it :p

Always nice to hear from people that like this mod. :)

Have been getting some work done lately. Replaced Cyrenaica as the regional country for their region with a generic regional country (like all other regions already have) as they may get annexed which would result in their cores disappearing leaving Cyrene and Barca potentially coreless, which we don't want (and any regional revolts within the parts of the region they don't control would end up directly affecting them which not ideal either). Have done the tribal expansion decisions in Britain, all that is left for them is some tweaking with the requirements and actually writing descriptions, so not much left there. As for the planned overhaul of the warfare stuff, I am interested in feedpack on how you the people that aren't me who play this mod feels it works as it currently is, what works and what doesn't work so well, what is annoying things you could live without and what is actually good and should not be altered too much.

Have added a third province for Iberia, and as a consequence been working a bit on borders in that area. So as the next version will now alter the map, any regions you feel I should tweak?

Great Mod Lofman, thank you for your work, gives much new life to the game without being too huge an overhaul. Well done sir.

On another note, I'm a few decades into a tough but very fun run as Massilia and have a quick question. The culture divide is absolutely devestating my manpower, I'm literally recruiting from two provinces to sustain a Rebublic with upwards of ten, while surrounded by Celts who tend to band together against me. To increase the rate of cultural expansion would I be right in going to Common->Defines and changing the #_CDEF_CULTURE_GAIN_THRESHOLD_ currently at 0.2? If so, could any experienced modder recommend a new value? What does it mean by the threshold? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Edit: To add the question

Last edited:
I'm not sure what that value in defines does, it is the same as in vanilla. You might want to reduce the mean_time_to_happen for event 4002 (in colony.txt, it is the event for cultural conversion), it is 1800 in the mod compared to 800 in vanilla. so the value in the mod could be considered a tad high as it don't really happen that often in vanilla.

A small update as to the next version of this mod. I have done a large part of the planned work with the military stuff, actually I only need to do the actual decisions (and decide the exact requirements which I suspect is what will take the most time) and a closer look as to what old laws could be added as inventions. May want to do some more minor work (have some decisions planned and some things could do with some tweaking) but the next version is not going to take that much longer (it may even be ready this very month :D ).