• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is this going to be updated for the new beta patch?

That would require me to download and I generally don't download beta patches, prefer to wait, though I could certainly make an exception since it does fix the cascading alliances, however I do have an ongoing AAR and might want to keep it going. However it seems the patch is all .exe so that might mean there is nothing I need to do for the mod to work with it (and therefore it ain't going to affect the AAR). So when I think about it I will probably download it during this weekend and if anything needs to be done (doesn't seem like it) I will do it, and then upload a new version anyway (or just the bugfix I have done (a Nabatean & Palmyran law requires having multiple cultures, missed an OR there) since I have not really done much more then that).

Basically the mod might work with it already though I can't say for certain until later when I have downloaded the patch myself.

Seems to work. Seems like there may be a small problems with savegames from 2.32 (if it is some consistent bug that also occurs with games started with the beta patch I will either fix it if it seem to be because of something in the mod, if not see if it is in vanilla as well and in that case report it). Will play some more and if I find anything that needs fixing I will do so. Will also look at balance and try to make sure it is the way I like it, though if you find some country that you think consistently underperforms or overperforms let me know, it may be worth looking into. In the end I will upload something later (as it looks now possibly just a minor upload consisting the two changed files (the previously mentioned missing OR and a small change in titles.txt).

Next version will be a real update and not just a minor bugfix. Some things I have done is changing the tradegood of Trapezus to wood and the part of Mazaca province that sticks out between Tyana and Tavium has been divided between those provinces (so Cappadocia will look better). Also some changes to setup at later starts has been done such that the client kingdom of Pontus will have Trapezus but more importantly, when starting in 702 there will be a united Gaul led by Vercingetorix fighting Rome (not easy, but more playable and much more fun then a bunch of one province minors getting conquered one by one).

Further ideas will be welcome (especially for minor changes to the map, is not planning to add more provinces but if there is a really good reason who can say).

Edit: One thing about the map I am wondering about, the part of Tyana province that stretches to Antioch. Should I leave it as is or give it to Cilicia. Advantage of giving it to Cilicia is that it is a part of Cilicia while Tyana is Cappadocian. Downside is that at certain startdates the Seleucid provinces in Asia Minor will be completely detached from the rest of the empire (as in vanilla) which is why it is there to begin with (as noted earlier in this thread when I added the province).

Last edited:
Have strengthened Egypt by both giving them Pamphylia at start but more importantly, culture in Macedonia is now macedonian so they get the full benefits of their capital province. Also at start Pergamon will be a Seleucid client (nominally part of the Seleucid Empire, the reason why the Seleucids have a core there in vanilla). Another change is that Tylis has been given the provinces of Thrace, hopefully it will make them slightly more of a threat. Some other minor changes here there (as I have a two province Bithynia the little civil war between Nicomedes and Zipoetes II is now represented as an actual civil war should one decide to start at the time it goes on, as well as improving a few borders here and there (mapchanges) and renaming Perga province to Pamphylia (city is still Perga)).

Is fairly certain I will add Amastris, should hopefully help Sinope by it no longer being the only one-province minor along that coast. Also planning to go through the military laws/decision stuff and moving some of it to inventions, some of them would fit better there, but that will not be done until I am done with my AAR (or decides to have two versions of my mod on the computer at the same time) since I know from experience that messing about with inventions (by removing and possibly by adding, and I assume doing so with laws, especially as some countries will have enacted them, will probably have similar effect) will cause severe problems with savegames, my current changes are limited to those that does not break savegames.

Sounds good. With regards to the Tyana question, if you haven't already decided, I think it would probably be better to leave it as it is. I don't know much about that region's history, but I think that that little historical detail is less important than keeping Seleucid territory contiguous.

Yeah, I'm leaving that as is.

Have added Amastris and Lingones. Some other minor changes done and here is one odd observation. A stronger Egypt seem to have more trouble with the Seleucids in the starting war, it is really odd but could be a coincidence (or result of the beta patch, IIRC it was supposed to update the military ai little, could explain why the Seleucids are doing better).

Currently I have done some stuff (enough that together with the time since the last version that it may be time to actually upload it), but have been limited to things that do not break savegames as I have an ongoing AAR, have also refrained from any potential changes that will alter things in that game without breaking the savegame (like for example changing the actual bonuses given by the warfare modifiers). I am thinking about a few changes that could do that, but as they have to wait until the AAR is done (which considering the current rate of updates can take a while), so would you want the new version as soon as possible, or would you prefer to wait until the AAR is done and I start looking into those other changes I have been thinking of (like moving some military laws to inventions, maybe even removing some as well as possibly rebalancing the warfare modifiers)?

Nice to hear. Uploaded 1.10, while it shouldn't break savegames (I think), as it mainly changes setup, you might want to wait until you actually plan to start a new game if you already have any ongoing games (trade mapmode will look a bit odd as some tradegoods was changed, it does not change what it is in the current game but it do change what icon is displayed). Anyway what is new:

- Fixed a decision (the arabian caravans lacked an OR in the potential preventing it from being available)
- Minor changes at later dates for Pontus (when client kingdom of Rome after Pharnaces failed attempt to reconquer it), mainly it gets Trapezus as well
- Manchares (son of Mithradates VI) becomes king of Bosporos as all history files except the important one (the country one) already said he should (vanilla issue)
- Trapezus now produce wood rather then grain
- Lesser Armenia (Armenia & Trapezus provinces) not direct part of SEL when rest of Armenia becomes it
- As a result of above Pontus now gets Trapezus when they should and not when SEL takes the greater part of Armenia (they got since SEL should not, I did not want it to become barbarian, and an Armenia consisting of Trapezus look stupid)
- If starting at Vercingetorix rebellion most of Gaul will be united and at war with Rome rather then a collection of one province minors at war with Rome
- Changed around some tradegoods in Egypt
- Perga province renamed to Pamphylia and given to Egypt in earliest start
- Culture in Alexandria changed to Macedonian to hopefully help Egypt (was too weak relative to SEL & MAC)
- Starting during the Galatian invasion will see Tylis having direct control over Odrysi & Uscudama to make them a greater threat.
- Pergamon starts as a Seleucid vassal (nominally Seleucid though with much autonomy)
- Arverni, Aedui, Bituriges and Sequani now Civic Tribes
- Rome starts with Corfinium
- Added new countries: Lingones and Amastris
- Cantabri now recieve Astures province during the Cantabrian wars (725 AUC. Astures was on their side, but I have not added them as a playable country)
- Upped civilization value slightly in a few barbarian provinces
- Arevaci will also have Belli and Lusones provinces when starting after 504 (Celtiberian Confederacy)

You should only need to extract it into the mod folder of your EU:Rome installation. If you look into that folder you should then see the file lofmod.mod and a folder called lofmod. Then you should be able to just start the game and select the mod in the launcher, though before that you might want to check into your map directory and rename the cache folder to something like vanillacache and create a new folder named cache and in that add another folder named province_textures (important, game will not run otherwise) in the new cache folder, this will generate textures not only for the new provinces but for the altered ones as well, and if you decide you rather play vanilla you could either remove this new cache folder (if the mod wasn't to your liking) or rename it to lofcache or similar and then changing the name of vanillacache back to cache (apart from the actual province textures, this is mainly done to prevent ghost-borders that have no impact on the game (like the textures) but can be quite annoying).

And make sure you have the latest patch (the beta patch is optional, the mod should work for both 2.32 and the beta patch).

It doesn't work, it just says that it doesn't work and that it's some error when I try to put it in the mod file.

I did install the 2.3.2 patch but checked again and it said that it wasn't installed, I tried to download it to install it but then it said that Vae Victis wasn't installed??! So I could not download it, however when I started the game to check vae victis clearly is installed, so I don't really now what is going on...

Odd. You don't happen to have Vista or Windows 7 and the game installed in the Program Files folder? Don't think that should cause the problems specified, but always worth checking (and if it is installed there, reinstalling the game in say a folder named Games might be worth doing anyway).

Odd. You don't happen to have Vista or Windows 7 and the game installed in the Program Files folder? Don't think that should cause the problems specified, but always worth checking (and if it is installed there, reinstalling the game in say a folder named Games might be worth doing anyway).

I have vista, and I have rome in the program files folder, I will try reinstall it in another folder.. :)

I've really enjoyed this mod but I was wondering how to extend the end date. Things are still all there to play and suddenly the game ends because some guy discovers something in Palestine. I have tried changing the end date in the defines.txt but this hasn't made a difference. It ends on 1st January 731 (which isn't even the date in the defines file). Is there something else that needs to be changed or can the end date not be changed once a game has started. I'd appreciate any help with this as I was really enjoying the game. Thank You.

With the latest beta patch that date in defines will define the end date and therefore can be set whenever you want it to end. Without it, well there is not much that can be done.

Darn it.. that pesky beta patch again thwarting my every move! I play on a Mac and as far as I can tell VP have not released the beta patch for the game. Which is a shame as the 300 odd years in the game just doesn't seem long enough to bring the Roman Empire up to it's traditional borders. Especially as we were blighted by three major civil wars because the boys in the senate kept getting uppity. Well I enjoyed the game while it lasted, I guess I'll just have to narrow my ambitions and play as a barbarian tribe.