• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
it may even affect the efficiency of gifts (with Rome i find gifts to Greek minors (same religious group) tend to be very effective though it is possible that the strength of Rome may be part of it).

I think you might be right. Despite my horrible failures of gift-giving to the Syracusans, when I later gave gifts to the Palmyrans, who share my culture and religion, I got relation boosts of +20, +22, and +40. It seems that you get more out of gifts if you have more in common with the faction you're giving them too.

Of course, gameplay-wise, this isn't that helpful. Obviously, one is trying to give gifts to people that normally aren't friendly to you, not people who share your culture and religion and are thus often quite friendly already.

Hi Lofman,

I have installed the Mod in the right ordner. The files are there everything. And my OS ist WinXP. I have Rome installed in H:\Spiele\also Games\Rome...

I hope it helps you.

Trajan

Hi Lofman,

I have installed the Mod in the right ordner. The files are there everything. And my OS ist WinXP. I have Rome installed in H:\Spiele\also Games\Rome...

I hope it helps you.

Trajan

Well then it is atleast not where it is installed. Could replicate the problem by renaming the pirates.txt in common/countries (vanilla file) to something else temporarily (well line given was 425 rather then 424 but otherwise the same error message). So you have not changed the vanilla files (outside the cache folder at least)? And make sure that Vae Victis is properly installed (and that you have the latest patch).

I think you might be right. Despite my horrible failures of gift-giving to the Syracusans, when I later gave gifts to the Palmyrans, who share my culture and religion, I got relation boosts of +20, +22, and +40. It seems that you get more out of gifts if you have more in common with the faction you're giving them too.

Of course, gameplay-wise, this isn't that helpful. Obviously, one is trying to give gifts to people that normally aren't friendly to you, not people who share your culture and religion and are thus often quite friendly already.

Then on the other hand when I recently played Rome I got good result with giving gifts to one of the Gallic minors, well to be really sure one would have to make some actual testing but putting all religions in the same group should still be a decent idea in with regards to the starting relations, as the group is displayed on the religion tab, any idea what to call the big group?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note I am replacing some flags with flags from Epigoni, thought I should ask if there is any flag in this mod someone really likes and do not want replaced, and also is with regards to some flags is there someone willing to make versions of better quality (like the Lucania and the Carpetani ones, the latter I like enough to keep despite not being that good really, the former is in danger of being replaced since while I like it somewhat, the wolf (yes it is a wolf on it) is really, really ugly, would probably keep it if it was of a better quality; at the moment other flags that are not in any real risk of being replaced that I would want better versions of are Croton and Athens).

Noticed a small error in countries.txt, the tag given for the Brutti rebels is BR2, should be BR3 (BR2 is Brigantian rebels), luckily it seems that the only place they are referred to as BR2 is in that file, will be fixed in the next version.

Well then it is atleast not where it is installed. Could replicate the problem by renaming the pirates.txt in common/countries (vanilla file) to something else temporarily (well line given was 425 rather then 424 but otherwise the same error message). So you have not changed the vanilla files (outside the cache folder at least)? And make sure that Vae Victis is properly installed (and that you have the latest patch).

I have changed nothing in the Vanilla files and it should be installed, actually, perfectly. I have the newest patch for Rome.

Thus the first three rows are identical.

If the first three rows are identical, then the game should use the pirates.txt of the vanilla folder (just as rebels.txt and barbarians.txt and all others where the mod does not have its own files but uses what is there in vanilla). Which means I have no idea what would cause it if the mod is properly installed, and the game is of the right version. Vanilla works as it should right?

If the first three rows are identical, then the game should use the pirates.txt of the vanilla folder (just as rebels.txt and barbarians.txt and all others where the mod does not have its own files but uses what is there in vanilla). Which means I have no idea what would cause it if the mod is properly installed, and the game is of the right version. Vanilla works as it should right?

Yes, Vanilla works right. Well if you know no more what it could be. Then it should probably be like that. Nevertheless, thanks for your help.

I love the new changes.. I have a lockup.. it happens on march 7 486. i reloaded from a previous save 6 years earlier.. still froze 6 years later on march 7 486. im running 1.8b is that the correct version?

Sorry for the late reply, but I have at the moment no idea what could be the cause. You could in the mods countries.txt change the tag for the Brutti revolters from BR2 to BR3 though I doubt it will help with that lockup but at least it is fixing the one bug I know of. Do you get the lockup if starting a new game as well?

And yes, 1.8b is the latest version.

Not much has happened, although thought I should note that I have improved (I hope) some of the flags not being replaced by Epigoni ones.

Athens and Croton can be seen here.
20hx4eq.jpg

And Lugii gets a completely new one as their old one was really bad.
otggv9.jpg

If you wonder when the next version will come, well I don't know, at the moment there is too little done to warrant a new version, but eventually one will come.

I mentioned before about perhaps moving all religions into one group to make most countries not hate eachother quite as much at gamestart. I did it and it seems to work, no negative effects as far as I could see, and the lowest starting relation for countries at peace seem to be around -25 making it easier to find trading partners for some countries as no country start hated by nearly everyone. The only question, what should the over-arching group be called (as it is displayed in the religion screen)?

'Religion' sounds logical to me :)

The only problem is that on the religion tab it say Religion, so it seems silly to have it say
RELIGION
Druidism (Religion)
OMENS
etc.
Though it is not like I have a better idea so I will probably go with it (currently the overarching group is named 'Organized' as there is some degree of organization (sort of) for all (or maybe just most) of the religions in the game), however it is possible to alter the interface, and although I am not sure how that works I will try to take a look. If I can I think I will make it so that the group is not displayed since it is kind of redundant when everything is in the same group.

As to other things. Planning to add a few new countries. Sarmatian ones to be exact. The Siraces (would get Siraces and Zinchi, Zinchi just because I want them to have two provinces and are planning to have no barbarian provinces as well as not being sure what to do with that province otherwise) and Aorsi (Aorsi and Alans, should maybe not be there quite at the start but I can go with it) will be in. Still thinking about the Iazyges, for them I am less sure wether putting them where I want them at the start (in Iazyges and Navari) is appropriate, but doing so would open up the possibility to add Olbia, and planning some border changes for the Getae (giving them Piephigi and maybe Tyras, that greek city was unimportant and there was something about some Tyragetae being in the area at some time, an alternative for Tyras would be to let Olbia have the province but I am not keen on the idea) making it possible to have Tomis and Kallatis as some country (they will not be two countries, at the very least not until I actually add Heraclea Pontica and have a bunch of one province minors along that coast) paying tribute to the Getae rather then being directly ruled by them.

Have added Siraces, Aorsi and Iazyges. Also added Cenomani in Cisalpine Gaul (been thinking of doing that ever since I added their province). Getae given Piephigi though their starting population is roughly what it was before as I took population from their previous provinces. Still thinking of adding Olbia, though will leave Tyras as is (Olbia, or whoever conquers it, will probably be the first to extend its rule there in most games).

Does anyone know what is required to add PTI (black one, not the kind that looks like water)? I do want to get rid with those three extra provinces Palmyra is stuck with (making them a one province minor will probably result in the Nabateans conquering them all the time but I can live with that) and maybe use them to add new provinces (not that many I can think of, but Heraclea Pontica and Utica (which would raise the question of what city should be in Africa after Carthage is destroyed by Rome) are possibilities).

And have been thinking of the tribes in the big gray area in Africa (the Nasamones, Marmaridae and Garamantes), not yet decided if I am going to add them or not, but it is not an impossibility. And maybe make an attempt to give the numidians more provinces (to spread out their population and to make it slightly harder for Carthage to conquer them etc.).

Comments are welcome, just so you know ;)

Have added Nasamones and Garamantes, the provinces Libya and Cinithii remain barbarian (Libya would get Marmaridae if I had decided to add them, Cinithii on the other hand I am not sure what to do with). As they no longer borders colonizable provinces Oea and Leptis Magna have had their civilization values increased. Other things I have done to Carthage is adding a Libyphoenician culture (given to Sabratha, Oea and Leptis Magna), while some other provinces have been given Phoenician culture. The result is that Carthage, while still being number two in manpower in 474, no longer has almost as much manpower as Rome.

As going the PTI route would require messing with a .dds file as far as I can tell, I left the provinces (Dumatha and the two other ones) in but looked closer at them and decided to hand them to Nabatea (making Palmyra a one province minor, they may get Arabia back though as Nabatea does seem awfully fond of annexing them), could be an independent Qedar but at the moment giving it to Nabatea seems the best bet.

As for new provinces, planning to add Utica and Heraclea but not quite sure what more might be worth it. Any suggestions of other provinces you feel should be added?

Was northern Arabia really centralized enough that all the provinces shown in EU:Rome could be labelled as under Palmyran or Nabataean control? In any case, I agree with weakening Palmyra--it didn't start to become a legitimate power until around 100 AD or so. I'm not even sure what the trade situation was for Palmyra around 270 BC, though I doubt it was anything significant.

As far as I can tell Palmyra was independent and involved in some trade but not much more. The Nabateans were already active in their area (although the Nabatean kingdom seem to have come later), and since I have not seen enough to justify an independent Qedar (the Qedarites had Dumatha and a few other places and used to be more important, but their importance was long before the period of the game) and since leaving the provinces open for colonization would just lead to the Seleucids colonizing them (which is something that really annoys me whenever I see it happen) there is really no other acceptable option then to give the Nabateans nearly all of it.

Have now added Utica (may change the border between Utica and Carthage slightly, too much of a straight line at the moment)
117614p.jpg

and Heraclea Pontica (the blob on the flag is supposed to be Heracles)
2yo37h2.jpg

As what more is planned before the new version? First some work on the missions, giving atleast Carthage and Rome some new ones (for Carthage to give further incentive to conquer Sicily, for Rome some more intermediate missions before that 'Destroy Carthage' (or something, don't remember the name exactly) one such as taking Sicily). Carthage now only has Carthaginian culture in Carthage, most other provinces are Phoenician or Libyphoenician; they still have the highest income at start but now have less manpower. Rome have a core at Brutti at start to give them further incentive to expand into the toe, and hopefully make war between Rome and the now slightly weaker Carthage more likely.

The Second thing is countries around Illyria. Have thought about it earlier, but now I think I actually will add them. So Illyria will be Illyria/Ardiaei (what it already is more or less). Dalmatae will be independent as it should be (although they should become independent from the Ardiaei in 180, have not seen anything about from when they should be part of their kingdom, so will probably end up independent all the time, though I may let them pay tribute from the rise of the Ardiaei kingdom to 180). May add Liburni (not that sure of them, but will probably add them). Will add Dardani and Paeonia. The only question is, what to do about the Taulanti province? While Pyrrhus should appearantly have the Greek cities on the coast (at least at the start), what about the inland? Was the Taulanti still independent (shortly before they where ruled by king Glaukias and seem to be relatively important), or did someone else dominate the area (in that case, who? Epirus? Ardiaei? Dardani?)?

The changes look great.

Not sure about Taulanti, though could you split the province, giving Epirus the coast and creating a new independent inland Taulanti?