• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Araanor

Myrran
68 Badges
May 2, 2002
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Holy crap, I just had 35 dreadful years as the lesser partner in a union with Georgia where I could do nothing. Agh. Euh. Blarg.

Yes, lower relations below 0 and you'll get out when the monarch dies. After all the "ignore"-events, I should've been somewhere around -500. As if it helps if the bastard lives forever. He had awful stats at that and I didn't even have any BB to shave off.

No, what I want is some mechanic to break the union at will. I'm not asking for it to be easy - hit me with -6 stab and rebels or anything - I just want the possibility. Please. In the meanwhile, I'll hiss and and scratch up my furniture every time I get a royal marriage proposal.

Same with Brandeburg at the start in 1399. It's really irritating.

hahaha I think every player fears being a lesser partner!!!

You could cheat and play as the head of the PU and make ur king a general and get him killed in a war! that would be fun!
It's the only way I can think of!

Well there really isn't any realistic way to do such a thing. Think about it, you would need a civil war to realistically break away from a personal union.
You just can't hit a button saying "screw you" and then magically get a new monarch out of nowhere.

Read my sig for the solution.

Your sig helps nothing with Brandenburg at the start of 1399. ;)

I tend to load as Luxembourg and have them start a war with Burgundy and tag BRA back to Brandenburg. Burgundy will eat Luxembourg and you'll be free from the PU. :cool:

NikkTheTrick said:
Read my sig for the solution.

lol, i was just going to say, "there's that one guy that has a signature that might help you" :D

@Brae: well, to be fair, you have to wait for Bohemia to die and Cleves to become emperor before you can do anything anyways. so at least you're sitting out two things at the same time :p

wait... patiently

in my brandenburg game i got a new monarch in 1421! it was worth it anyway, i built up a reasonable standing army and temples everywhere. all the brandenburg frustration blew up in a 3-year war aginst half of the german states the day after we became indipendent. Heinrich III was a 8/5/7 ruler with a passion for slaughter. my first action have been to vassalize luxemburg of course... now taste it greedy western scum! :D

Knight Richard said:
Well there really isn't any realistic way to do such a thing. Think about it, you would need a civil war to realistically break away from a personal union.
You just can't hit a button saying "screw you" and then magically get a new monarch out of nowhere.
Give me a civil war.

Braedonnal said:
Your sig helps nothing with Brandenburg at the start of 1399. ;)
Well, the previous ruler should not have pimped every pretty girl and boy in the family to get relations up. think of Personal Unions ad VD :D

Araanor said:
Give me a civil war.
In theory this is already in the game: if a Pretender Rebel takes control of your country, he will become the new king. If your relations with your partner are low enough, you'll break the union when this happens. To encourage this to happen you can move your aristocracy/plutocracy slider to at least -3 aristocracy and encourage revolt risk in your homeland (keep your armies in wrong-culture provinces where rebels are unlikely to be Pretenders anyways). Once even a single Pretender rebel appears, stand back and let them take over!

Interestingly, it seems that Paradox already planned for this to happen; one of the factors that makes Pretenders much more likely to appear (compared to other rebels) is being the lesser partner in a personal union.

Yeah, Pretender rebels.
I had a succession war where both parties wouldn't invade each other. I let the pretenders take over all the country (took them a while), manouvering my armies out of the way, smiting any other rebels. Eventually the two sides white peaced after 20 odd years - only then could the pretenders take over. Pity you can't negotiate with pretenders with your regency council. (I did have to reload twice when the pretender died of old age waiting for the white peace)