• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm using EU: In Nomine.

I'm playing as Lithuania. I insulted Poland up to -190, and my king has died three times already. I'm still in a personal union under them. Is this a bug ? (Or could it be because i'm playing with historical leaders ?)
Also, this could be because of -190 relationship, but when Poland was attacked, i was not drawn into war, not even asked to join it. Finally, Poland is now left with only one province left. Is this not a a bug ?

AFAIK, only if you have bad relations when he dies you´d be able to break free.

PS. Sorry, I have read your post second part now.

I played as Sweden yesterday and had my relations at 100 with Denmark when their (our) king died, and the union was dissolved. Norway became independent too. So the below 0 thing doesn't seem to be necessary, although it probably helps.

This is IN, btw.
If prestige of senior partner is negative when the ruler dies then the PU is dissolved too AFAIK.

Oh, well then i will simply choose non historical leaders ;(
Never play with historical leaders, the unmodded game is not meant to be played with this option.

I will try the option to insult them, but anyway, this must be a bug or something, because how come the big power can be subject of a one province minor?.
Please PARADOX programmers, what is the reason for this?.
Personal Unions in game are abstactions. In history a ruler of "one province minor" could in theory become the king of a "big power" because the rule was personal and it could be inherited. PUs in game try to simulate it.

Last edited:
Hello Everybody.
Playing as Austria in IN, I have +56 prestige, I'm the HRE, a lot of land gained in different wars, a 60k army, the biggest at this time (1456) and then my kings dieds and I had to obey a foreign ruler?, I'm the lesser part in a personal union with Achea!!!, a 1 province country, why is that?.
Then the king of Achea died and another one cames, and again I'm stilll governed by them.
How do I end the union?, or I need to wait for what to happen?.

Thank you.

You can dissolve the alliance and DOW them

I will try the option to insult them, but anyway, this must be a bug or something, because how come the big power can be subject of a one province minor?.
Please PARADOX programmers, what is the reason for this?.

Just to reiterate the point: a Personal Union does not represent your nation becoming a vassal or subject of the other nation: it represents the same person being ruler of both. Really it's a kind of "inheritance lite" - your royal marriage and the following inheritance have resulted in the same person gaining the thrones of both countries... but the two haven't really been integrated, and are likely to eventually separate again.

A good example of a personal union where the king of a smaller country became king of a larger country as well is the union of Scotland and England which created the United Kingdom. James IV of Scotland became the ruler of England as well as Scotland, but the two nations would remain distinct states for over 100 years.

well, in my HTTT brandenburg game, i insulted Luxemburg to very bad relations, dissolved the alliance, and declared war on them, which made me independant...
is it wad or is my installation messed up as none of you guys mentioned this as an oportunity:confused:

They didn't mention it because that possibility was added in HTTT, and this thread is from 2008.