• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really liked the battle description. Interesting AAR! You have some nice gains so far, keep it up. :)

M4 Emperior: I'll probably give myself on the regions I consider than their conquest is 'legitimate' -> Orthodox and/or Ruthanian provinces. I just hope this is not considerated as a cheat.

I'll eventually get a CoT by event a day, but I'll wait the event.

Duke of Wellington: I hope I'll be let alone for a while, the time to rebuild.

Eber: Thank you. :)

Wari Bana: Only the two minors I conquered in the early years.

As far as I remember from my ol' Aberration games as Ukraine, you will start getting cores sometime in the future. Don't exactly know when, though, and I can't check that at the moment. If I were you I would wait a bit with this assigning yourself cores on anything - it's too early for that kind of thing. You'll surely get some land on the Golden Horde - bad times for them should begin shortly.

Emperor_krk said:
As far as I remember from my ol' Aberration games as Ukraine, you will start getting cores sometime in the future. Don't exactly know when, though, and I can't check that at the moment. If I were you I would wait a bit with this assigning yourself cores on anything - it's too early for that kind of thing. You'll surely get some land on the Golden Horde - bad times for them should begin shortly.

I know all that, I had a quick look at Ukraine's event file. However I will never get cores on the lands I have just conquered and I feel I should get them (they were liberated from the Evil Order after all).

Excellent update!

I guess those Teutons weren't that scary.

likk9922 said:
Excellent update!

I guess those Teutons weren't that scary.

Thank you! Im happy to know than peoples likes them, English is not my first language and its hard to me to write an interesting text in it.

And no, they are not scary anymore. But too often they destroyed the small Orthodox states in my other aberration games to not be cautious toward them. However all is not lost for them, let's hope they don't ally with a great power as it would allow them to threaten me again.

II.V A New Leader​

(mini-update)

From 1429 to 1432 Mykhaltso did his best to strengten the links between the Cossack clans as much as possible. Since his victory over the Teutonics, his prestige was enormous and his men were totally loyal to him.

However the Chief Hetman was becoming old, and he knew than his time was over. At the age of 68, wich was old at this time, and in this place, he decided to let elections be organized to find him a sucessor. It was with a great sadness than he abandonned his title of Hetman, but he wanted to allow a new generation take the control of the country. And by resigning from power while he was still healty he could influence the elections to choose a good chief. He gave advices to the new Chief Hetman until he reached the venerable age of 74 and died from natural causes.

In November, his successor was choosen: the charismatic Olhankyi would take the command of the country. Having made his proofs on the battlefield during the war against the Teutonics, he was also an able administrator and a fine diplomat. Without doubts he was the man Ukraine needed.

newmonarchpk9.png

Olhanskyi was a very energic man. He did not wasted a day to find out ways to improve the diplomatic and economical situation of his country. In the 3rd week of his rule, he arranged a state visit to the Volhynian capital of Lodz. There, he was able to convince the local noblity to put their country under the protection of the Republic of Ukraine. Since the victory at Rozhny it was almost already the case but he simply wanted to officialize the thing.

vassaldl9.png

The new Chief-Hetman had no rest. A few weeks after his travel in Lodz the Golden Horde started to opress the Ruthenians within their borders more harshly than ever. In the same time, the various factions of the Horde started to fight each other and an a civil war with no near end in sight began. Olhanskyi knew what would be his next move. Ukraine was ready to expend East.

newclaimsqw0.png

Olhanskyi will surely guide Ukraine to glory. Especially against the mediocre Golden Horde.
I see a fairly large Smolensk to your north, am I correct? They seem to have expanded somewhat by taking lands from the Teutons, just like you did. Have you considered allying them, perhaps? Their army should make a nice addition to yours, and getting them friendly would give you the prospect of vassalizing them in the future...

Emperor_krk said:
Olhanskyi will surely guide Ukraine to glory. Especially against the mediocre Golden Horde.
I see a fairly large Smolensk to your north, am I correct? They seem to have expanded somewhat by taking lands from the Teutons, just like you did. Have you considered allying them, perhaps? Their army should make a nice addition to yours, and getting them friendly would give you the prospect of vassalizing them in the future...

An alliance with them is in the natural orders of the things, but for now I'm with Volhynia and as long as they will be my vassals they'll receive my protection (and this will allow me possible diplo-annexation later).

III - In the East​

For a bit more than a year, Olhanskyi invested his efforts in building a force able to defeat the Golden Horde. An army of more than 52.000 men was build, with almost half of them being cavaliers. This army was truly huge and the still fragile Ukrainian economy could not support it forever. It has to be used.

The events in the East would give the Chief Hetman a perfect reason to go to war (even if against the Horde, no official reason was needed). The city of Kharkov, once an important centre in the Kievan Empire, proclaimed itself free from the Tatars. However the city was not considerated as such by its former lords, and a siege begined.

rebelbo0.png

The invasion was launched in the last days of April. The plan was simple: fight forward the East, liberate the Ruthenians, and force the Golden Horde into submission.

intheeastyx3.png

For 3 years, the war went well as the different Tatar factions were too busy fighting each others, than they could not organize a common defence. Soon Olhanskyi's armies threatened the Tatar capital of Sarai, near the Volga. However, when the city was in sight, news than the ruler of the Horde has been assasinated reached the Ukrainian army. The new rulers of the city, negotiating in the name of the whole Horde, accepted to give Ukraine all the lands it controlled prior to the change of government in exchange of sparing the city of Sarai. The suggestion was accepted by a victorious Olhanskyi than never even dreamed h could get that much lands in a single war.

ghfallenly6.png

The Golden Horde's power has been crushed forever. Even more tragic that the loss of all its territories beyond the Don and that the loss of Crimea was the declaration of independence from the city of Astrakhan. This city, builded strategically where the Volga was reaching the Caspian Sea, was rich from her trade and consisted of the Horde's main source of money. With a third of her lands to Ukraine, its economical center free and its armies in ruins, the Golden Horde was now an incoherant territory where a never ending civil war was destroying everything left.

newbordersmr4.png

Last edited:
Well done. So classically though :p. Now wait out that stupid peace treaty and finish them off. But that's all too easy, find yourself a nice, difficult target.

And just one minor comment on your language that I believe someone else has already made in your other AAR: please, stop misusing the word 'than' - it's not equal in meaning to 'that' :). I know that English isn't your first language (neither is it mine, which inclines my feeling stupid at this moment correcting you, but this is due to what I'm like normally to everyone, correcting their mistakes in spoken Polish... :p), but I'd just like to ask you to try and revise this single word. Although it is a minor flaw (and one of the very few you make), it still is pretty irritating.
I hope I didn't sound rude or something in any way. :eek:o

The Ukraine is now a power to be reckoned with! Great work, and I look forward to the integration of the other Golden Horde lands as well as those of your vassal. ;)

Haha! The Horde is gone! I don't know just where you can expand to from here, so perhaps it's time to accumulate some wealth?

IV - In the East scene 2​

Olhanskyi had an obsession. Since his crushing victory over the Golden Horde he aimed to expend the Ukrainian borders further in the East. To put all the chances on his side, he concluded an alliance with the Russian principality of Ryazan, that was sharing similar goals.

newallydv3.png

A decade after his first campaings in the Horde's territories, Olhanskyi launched a new invasion.

intheeastji5.png

This time the capital of Sarai was not spared. The city was sacked by thousands of angry cossacks, many of them being born under the Tatar opression. However, during that night, Olhankyi disapeared. Maybed killed during the anarchy following the assault on Sarai's walls, his body was never found. One of his General was appointed Chief-Hetman during an emergency council.

newmonarchlf7.png

One of the adventage of Ukraine's election system was than never an incompetant was put in charge of the nation. In countries where the leadership was hereditary, the throne could pass to pure idiots, mentally ill persons, childrens, or lazy rulers not interested in the future of their realm. But the common sence was alway speaking in Ukraine as its Chief-Hetmans alway deserved to rule.

---​

Olelkovych, the new ruler of Ukraine, made peace after two more years of military campaigns in the East. The oriental border of the Ukrainian Republic was now the Volga, and pushed as far as the Caucasus. Georgia was taking adventage ove the decay of the Golden Horde, and now had a border with Ukraine.

peacemx6.png

Back in Kiev, Olelkovych worked on consolidating the country. In 3 decades, Ukraine grew incredibly in size and power, and gained the respect of its neighbors. But even if it dominated vast territories, the country was poor and its population was sparse.

The Chief-Hetman invited the Volhynian nobles in the capital to discuss the integration of their country into the Ukrainian Republic. It was now a matter of time before it would happen, and the nobles accepted in exchange of some privileges.

volhyniazf9.png

You are getting overwhelmingly large already. I hope some nice BB wars kick in so that you don't have as easy a go here - an AAR about pure, unstoppable conquest wouldn't be so fun, would it? ;)
This Ukraine on the map looks as if it was embracing those Russian/Ruthenian principalities to the north - I wonder what will be the direction of the expansion of the new Hetman?