• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
sg-1902b.jpg

March 11, 1067
I traveled east to Langness, the land we have not been to since we arrived here. It is beautiful and unspoiled, inhabited by only a handful of people. Not exactly a rich holding, but certainly somewhere I would want to visit again after the household is settled. I stay the night at a small church dedicated to Saint Michael.

March 12, 1067
Today I met most of the population of Langness, I assume. They all gathered at Saint Michael, as it is apparently also the name of the gathering of houses around the church. They are shepherds and fishermen, and I take notes to see how many taxes we could levy here. Most people pay the church, and the church paid the king, so all we can expect is some wool and fish.​

March 13, 1067
A shepherd named Colum takes me on a hike along the cliffs. Unfortunately, we had to turn back when the rain started. I meet his wife and children and join him I for a very simple meal of mutton and bread. It once shows that humility is in fact a virtue.

March 15, 1067
Ides of March. On my way back to Saint Mary, I was attacked by three armed robbers. Luckily I was on horseback and they were on foot, but they scared the hell out of me, and probably broke my leg. No more travel for me in a long while, I’m afraid.​

March 18, 1067
To break the boredom, Elfwynn brought me some books from the abbey. She is quite a nice lady once you get to know her, although I sometimes feel uneasy when she looks at me. As if she wants something from me. She sleeps in another room, of course, but I think the women might become lonely eventually. It’s a surprise that the men in the garrison haven’t been around yet. Certainly our veteran huskarls are disciplined, but these Manx rookies are not quite.

March 19, 1067
When I asked Hunwald about it, he told me the garrison is frequently visited by local girls. He asked me if I wanted female company as well, but I politely dismissed the offer and the idea.​

March 21, 1067
King Dairmait of Laigin is no more. Our liege and patron died in his sleep at the ripe age of 72. Who will succeed him, and will they allow us to life the lives we are making for ourselves, on the land of the late king? Will king Murdaich allow us to stay?

KingEnna.jpg

March 22, 1067
It turns out Dairmait’s second son Enna, not Murdaich, will be the new king of Laigin and thus our new king. Murdaich must be furious! I met with Mayl and Hunwald, and discussed what this will mean for us, and for Harold. Should the two brothers go to war over their father’s throne, Sir Fitheal might be forced to take his liege’s side, and we might face him (and Mayl) in battle. This is the last thing we want. Mayl and I will visit his father tomorrow, despite my injuries, and see what we can do about this Enna I have never heard about before.​

March 26, 1067
Mayl brought my diary to me, to which I am thankful. Clearly our friendship was more than a ruse. Although he is still my prison guard, and I am still locked away under his father’s orders. He claims not to know what happens in Saint Mary. Had Sir Fitheal invaded it and did Hunwald’s guard put up a fight? I must not think that way.

March 28, 1067
Apart from the mute monk who takes care of my wounds and ills, Mayl is my only company in this prison. I wish he would talk more. He just stares at me. I can see sorrow in his eyes. I know he cannot betray his father, I never asked him to. He told me his father doesn’t want this either. I can only pray and hope Fitheal will come to his senses. And the two brother kings of course.​

March 29, 1067
Mayl brought me news from the outside world. He told me that the Tynwald is mustering the Norse to take up their weapons, and that they might use the situation to force the Irish off the island. Sir Fitheal only has about a hundred men under his command, and another five hundred who could be armed.

April 5, 1067
There had indeed been battle! Mayl returned to me after five lonely days, and told me that a combined force of the Tynwald and Hunwald’s militia fought off an invasion force send to Purt Chairn by king Murdaich! Although twice the size, the army from Dubh Linn was no match for the Norse (and Manx) charges, and they were all killed or captured before they could retreat to their boats. What’s more, Mayl tells me that his father has been discussing my release, in return for some prisoners taken, with Hunwald. He believes that he might denounce his loyalty to Murdaich and keep the prisoners in order to wage a bargain with king Enna. Apparently this battle made Sir Fitheal change his mind… but why only now?​

April 7, 1067
I have returned to Saint Mary in relatively good health, though I might not be able to run ever again. It is strange how so many can change in two weeks time. Maybe it’s just my age catching up with me. Hunwald is a hero on the island now, and now that he fought alongside the Norse, the chieftains have proven to be much friendlier to our cause as well. They have offered their support for our cause, and have more or less forced Sir Fitheal to renounce his loyalty to king Murdaich.

April 10, 1067
An envoy from king Enna arrived in Castletown, and officially claimed Mann as part of the kingdom of Laigin, but kept all past agreements and settlements. This includes our holding on Rosien and Langness! What will this new king bring us? Will the Tynwald accept him? Will his brother invade Mann again? Will they ever settle their claim and end their war? I do not know. But we are safe now, for the moment. It is time to prosper.​

A nervous time, but one that seems to have come right at the end.

Safe for now...
and I wonder how long it is going to take before this aar is finished.

A update about three months, 4 updates for a year, and 400 years left. :D

I wonder why my accounts name sounds so saxonish. :p

This ended the first chapter. Next chapter has been written already, and will involve a collection of letters written from and to a certain person. It will cover the so-called Harrying of the North, and will also be used to wrap up a few things to bring things in line with the actual game (e.g. having character arrive at the courts they start in the game).

stnylan - I never worried too much about it. Then again, I knew how it would end :p

Enewald - It mostly depends on how fast things are going. This chapter covered five months in six updates. Next one will cover about a year, and will be about four updates I think. The third one is in the making, but will probably cover about 10 years (and six or seven updates, I think, it will be short stories), so it all depends on the pace of the story, the events, and of course the format I'm writing it in. If I can keep it up, I'd love to go on in EUII or III and maybe even Vicky and HoI. Who knows. But that's in the far far far future, and probably just in my head :D

And Enewald sounds pretty Saxon. I need to remember that one ;)

Actually Enewald comes from the saxon name Aginwald, 'he who rules with the sword'... and the from the name Aginwald came the name Enewald, and my rl name is from the name Enewald.

Aginwald - Enewald - Eino. :p

but I am not saxon irl. ;)

But I hope this aar shall continue for long.

bayeuxtapestry-740262.jpg

Chapter II
The correspondences of lady Aeldgyth of Mercia
February 2, 1062 – May 19, 1069
Aeldgyth of Mercia (b. 1033) was the daughter of Aelfgar of Mercia and the sister to the earls Edwin of Mercia and Morcar of Northumbria. She was married with no less then two kings; the Welsh king Gruffydd ap Llywelyn from 1051 to his death in 1064, and then the English king Harold II (though then only Earl of Wessex) from 1064 to 1066.
------------------------------------------
The King stopped at nothing to hunt his enemies. He cut down many people and destroyed homes and land. Nowhere else had he shown such cruelty.

To his shame he made no effort to control his fury and he punished the innocent with the guilty. He ordered that crops and herds, tools and food should be burned to ashes. More than 100,000 people perished of hunger.

I have often praised William in this book, but I can say nothing good about this brutal slaughter. God will punish him.

Orderic Vitalis, Historia Ecclestiastica, part iv
Written around 1123, but based off Gesta Guillemi II, which was finished in 1077
------------------------------------------

Saint Michael’s Chapel, Mann. February 2, 1068

My dearest Aeldgyth,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. It has been so long since your last letter, and even much longer since we met face to face. Little news about England reached Mann, is it true that no news is good news? I have taken my refuge in a small chapel village in Langness, away from the tiring business of Castletown or Saint Mary, and also far from the peering eyes of the Tynwald and the worried eyes of Elfwynn and Caelin, who arrived on Mann this winter. I hope you don’t mind I kept them in charge of your son, Aeldgyth, but raising a child is no full-time job for a tired old man like me. Don’t worry; I shall lecture him for more than he bargained for in the future. Now his main concerns are how to talk, walk and keep his disposals to himself. How is Ulf progressing? It would be interesting to see how they would grow up, being a twin, but yet apart. Talking of which, why did you take him from Veisafjord? And with force? Is it really that safe in Mercia?

I patiently away your reply.

Sincerely, Aethelbert

---

Legacaestir, Mercia. February 11, 1068

To my dear old friend and advisor, Aethelbert,

I can assure you that Ulf and I are completely safe. He is not progressing very well, however, he is still very sickly, but we have the best care here in the castle. I too hope that they might once meet again as well, although I doubt they would recognize each other, or even have much in common. As for England, things are worse. As you know about the betrayal of my brothers, which I did not know until I reached Hereford, you also know that they are now vassals of that dreadful bastard William. Morcar wants to break his deal with him, but Edwin believes there is not enough time, and they have missed their chance to strike William, whose power is growing every day. I have never seen both of them so angry at each other! I know they love each other dearly, as I love them with all my heart, but we should be together if we are to make a change against William. I wish you were here, Aethelbert, I surely could use your wisdom.

Aeldgyth

Post Scriptum: You know who arrived in Legacaestir three nights ago, with his tail between his legs? That dreaded young traitor Edgar Ætheling! Either he fled William’s court because he finally saw the light and sought to redeem his sins, or he came here as a spy. In any case, I will have nothing to do with that worm.

---

Saint Michael’s Chapel, Mann. February 19, 1068

Onto lady Aeldglyth

I am truly sorry for not telling you about your brothers at Birkimsted. You must understand that the circumstances were different. For us anyway. As for your brothers, I cannot begin to describe my displeasure towards their betrayal and their abandonment of the cause of their kin. The argument that they should attack now that William is gaining more in power is thus a bad one. They allowed it to happen! Striking now must be fooling. It’s much harder to weed a flowering garden than to weed one that is dying in autumn. Morcar will only be caught in the crossfire of emerging forces, as happened in situations past. He must understand that!

Take care,

Aethelbert

---

Legacaestir, Mercia. March 4, 1068

Onto my dear friend Aethelbert

The time has come. Morcar has broken. William’s marshal William Bruce took the Northumbrian capital of York by force, tore down it’s walls and chased my brother north. The Earl of the Welch March, Aedric Aelfricson, choose sides with Morcar and left Edwin and me in a very narrow position. Soon we will be besieged from two sides, I am sure. When William Bruce is done with Morcar and the Aelfricson, we will be next. The last bastion of Saxon earls will fall, Aethelbert! What can we do? What can I do? Surely the Normans will not stop, for this is the opportunity they have been waiting for to subdue the north. Edwin has said nothing that could help, he only urged me to leave Legacaestir as soon as possible, as the burh is surrounded by the Aelfricson’s March. And once more, that bloody Ætheling kid is of no use. Oh Aethelbert, I wish you were here. Or how I wish I could travel to Mann.

Aeldgyth

<No letters from Mann were found while Aeldgyth resided in Mamecaestir (Manchester). It’s believed that they were burned in the destruction of the town in late September. The frequency of letters from Aeldgyth also decreased, because the letters would have to travel through contested lands. It may also be that some never reached Mann, and were intercepted by the Normans>

Last edited:
saxons have lost everything to the normans now... but one day another saxon kingdom shall rise, I hope...

Chapter One? :D

I hope Ulf survives...

Perhaps some of these defeated Saxons will come to Mann, a nice little loyal army to have around.

The refuge of Mann is now all the more important.

Estonianzulu - Oh, they will. Huskarls are heavy infantry, in fact, with scalemail and big war axes and all... They should make filet americain out of those bloody Norman knights and Irish kiltwearing javelinmen quite easily. Technically... :p

stnylan - Yes, and sadly it will become even more important in times to come, as William wipes up the remaining Saxon earldoms (there still are a couple). I guess things will have to get worse before it can get better

normans.jpg

Norman knights raid Scrobbesburh

Mamecaestir, Mercia. March 30, 1068

My dear Aethelbert, I have arrived safely at a homestead just outside the town of Mamecaestir. Ulf is in good health. Edgar Ætheling decided to stay in Legacaestir and round up as many thegns and able peasants as possible, and then march to Scrobbesburh to aid Aedric Aelfricson. I cannot tell if that is a good thing necessarily, but at least that fool is doing something!

Aeldgyth

---

Mamecaestir, Mercia. May 16, 1068

Dear Aethelbert,

News arrived from by brother Morcar, who has taken his army and reached the city of York, his by right but currently under the rule of King William’s marshal, William Bruce. Morcar writes he shall take down the city’s palisade walls and chase the Normans back where they came from. Brave words, I admit. Ever since the war began, the Normans have been on the offence, pushing our Saxon brethren into the corners. It seems Edwin was right (he tells me he was every time we meet) and the prospect of war gets the best out of these invaders. As if they strife through internal competition. But we Saxons aren’t soft ether! For ninety years have we been fighting Danes and Norsemen who have been invading us, and hundreds of years before that, and we have of course fought the Scottish and Welsh on countless occasions. But will it be enough? The Normans have an unfair advantage in land, men and weapons, and a leadership to match it.

Aeldgyth

---

Legacaestir, Mercia. June 21, 1068

My dearest Aethelbert,

Yesterday, after I returned to Legacaestir, word reached me that the Normans have the city of Scrobbesburh under siege, and kept Edgar Ætheling from reaching the city. The worst is yet to come, my dear friend. The Norman army is led by none other but Stigand of Canterbury, the old archbishop! Has it come to this? Traitor fighting traitor? Is that what we have become, a people of traitors!? This will not stand. I dispatched an order for Stigand’s head to Scrobbesburh yesterday, and promised anyone of Saxon birth a handsome bounty for the head. I had enough of this. Maybe I can bring Morcar, Edwin, Edgar and the Aelfricson back together, so we can make a stand!

Aeldgyth

---

Saint Michael’s Chapel, Mann. June 30, 1068

My dear Queen Aeldgyth, guardian of the Saxons,

With the consent of the underking of Mann, I have dispatched a fleet of three longboats to Legacaestir to evacuate any Saxon who wishes a sanctuary on Mann. I hope you take this chance as well, although I feel you might be better needed in Mercia. In any case, don’t forget that your cause, and the cause of the Saxons, will never be forgotten. We shall not go down without a fight! It’s war that is in our blood, and even though we may be scattered and betrayed by the ones we once thought as friends, we remain a people of warriors. But also, never forget that the one thing that goes above all valour, and that is mercy.

Aethelbert

---

Legacaestir, Mercia. July 7, 1068

Stigand lies dead on the battlefield, killed by an arrow through the eye. I presented his tongue to Edgar Ætheling as a relic from his former mentor, and have kept the dried head as a kind of defiance to all traitors. It seems treason and desertion is yet crippling our ranks. After Stigand’s death, Scrobbesburh fell and both Edgar Ætheling and the earl of the Welsh March, Aedric Aelfricson, are in Legacaestir. They will prepare for a last stand. I will send Aedric’s wife and his infant son Eanbert to Mann, as well as as many Saxon refugees that will fit on a longboat. You should have learned about that when this letter reaches you, of course. Please take good care of Eanbert and Sophia, I fear they might have suffered for too long. I will stay here. This country needs me, and so does Edgar Ætheling, it seems.

Aeldgyth

X889_727_CWUKStigand1.jpg

Archbishop Stigand of Canterbury

The Saxon world has well and truly collapsed when it comes to traitors scrabbling with each other.

The Anglosaxons are facing quite a challenge. It will be interesting to see when, if at all, they will be able to rise to the throne of England again.

burningvillage.jpg

Mamecaestir is burning

Saint Michael’s Chapel, Mann. July 13, 1068

Dear Aeldgyth,

The girl Sophia and her son Eanbert have arrived at Saint Mary’s, as with the other Saxons who mostly will stay in Castletown. One of them, a man my age named Siward Butler visited me at Saint Michael’s. I believe he was Aedric Aelfricson’s master-of-arms. I send him to Hunwald, after he suggested he might help in Harold’s martial education. Though there is no doubt he can train a man, Harold is not a man for many years, and this man Butler isn’t getting younger himself. So maybe he is in better shape to help our huscarls.
On an unrelated note, I started hiking across Langness and if my constitution holds I wish to travel Mann. The many plants and herbs on this island have always fascinated me, and now that my duties are past on to the next generation I will have enough time to spend on my own interests.

Sincerely, Aethelbert

---

Mamecaestir, Mercia. August 19, 1068

Unto my dear Aethelbert,

With the fall of the Welsh March earlier this month, it seems out changes are now finally turned. Legaceastir was by William’s lieutenant Ranulf Flambard the day before yesterday. And with it my link to Mann and the outside world, it seems. After the continuous defeats at the hands of the Normans, Aedric Aelfricson and Edgar the Ætheling, have also retreated to Mercia with only a handful of men left. Their morale is low. Aedric simply wishes to sail to Mann to join his court-in-exile and his wife and son as soon as the winds permit. I cannot blame him. As for Edgar, he has been talking with Edwin a lot. It seems he wishes to return to William again. Apparently his heroic streak didn’t last very long, but also in his case I cannot really blame him anymore. After the fall of Scrobbesburh we only knew defeat. Even Morcar has abandoned the siege of York, and has headed north to Dunholm to prepare himself for a large Norman army that’s supposedly led by William himself! As for Ulf and myself, I want to leave Mercia too, and get away from it all. My oldest son, Maredudd (rightful ruler of the Welsh) has already fled to Denmark to join my cousin’s court. Maybe I should join him.

Aeldgyth

---

Mamecaestir, Mercia. September 14, 1068

Dear Aethelbert,

William the Bastard brought his whole army of seven thousand men up north. He defeated Morcar along the Skerne River and reached and besieged the town of Dunholm, site of the abbey of Saint Cuthbert. My brother has retreated to Cunecaester. All I know now that he is alive, but in what state and for how long? Here in Mercia horrible stories go around about Normans raping, pillaging and burning entire villages and town in the conquered lands. Other stories tell of local lords (Danes, mostly) who do the Norman’s works for them and destroy their villages and farmsteads in order to deny the invaders their booty.

Aeldgyth

---

Deoraby, Mercia. September 30, 1068

My dearest Aethelbert,

I am afraid. Three days ago retainers from my brother Edwin came and burned down Mamecaestir, the entire town! We could barely be escorted out of the chaos but most of my possessions, letters and money are gone. Edwin’s men brought me to the court of Edwin’s son – my cousin – Estmond, who is the earl of Deoraby. From there I shall travel to the coast under the cover of darkness, and arrange a crossing to my cousin’s court in Denmark. Here in Deoraby the reports are even more sketchy. Deoraby is surrounded by Norman lands by nearly all sides. However, stories arrived about the destruction of Cunecaester and the abbey of Dunholm, and many people here have fled from York. It seems like everybody is loosing their mind…

Aldgyth

Snuggie - The reclaiming of the English throne is my primary goal, so it should happen eventually. In a year or 150 or so. If I survive, and I stay Saxon, and England isn't molestered by Arabs and French and Scots...

Seems like a goal as good as any. :D

It seems that William, truly, is a bastard. Not only in name, but also in deed.