• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mr. Savelek is about to have a rude surprise.

Good update! :D

I love this plot line.

Here's a good Moon landing line:

Is that it?

BritishImperial Felix and Ian have been manipulated, but thanks to the little screw.up with the Papers Felix managed to figure it out.

Griffin.Gen Well, it was more some good-natured joking between old friends.

humancalculator Glad you liked it. :D The plotline will be over very soon though.

ColossusCrusher :rofl:

Enewald Dunno, but it have to be around 14-ish.

Chapter 85

FormerUSEmbassy.jpg

11th October, 1939

Felix and Shannon knocked at the door, but when Shannon asked for the occupant to step out, the only thing they heard was a shuffling of Papers and soon thereafter, a smashing off glass. Felix just muttered “Oh bloody hell, not again!” and opened the door, running after the fleeing spy, through the window and onto the open street on the other side, leaving a dumbfounded Shannon behind. Luckily for him, Savalek was not exactly a sportive man, and so Felix reached him before he had even crossed the road, jumping him, and bringing them both down to the road. He dragged them up and 'guided' his captive back inside the building, with his hands held behind the back, studiously ignoring all the strange looks they were getting. Meanwhile Shannon had gone to the Marines up front, making sure that Felix had easy access to the complex. Shortly after the incident the three were sitting in an interrogation room, with Savalek sitting behind the table, opposite of Shannon and Felix leaning at the wall. Had he been an outsider, Felix would have noticed that this seemed to be the classic “good cop-bad cop” trick, but he was much to enraged at the moment to waste braincells on something like this. Shannon began. “Now, Mr. Savalek, who are you working for?” Although he had almost wet himself when Felix had jumped through the window in pursuit, his training had kicked back in, and so Savalek answered: “What are you talking about, Mr. Shannon? I am working for you!” He stood up and looked at the others in the room with a smug grin, believing that they had no proof at all. This turned out to be a grave mistake, because suddenly, he found himself on the floor, with blood streaming from his nose. Felix stood over him, keeping him down with one foot on Savalek's chest and massaging his right fist. “Now listen, dirtbag, we know who you are. We found your stash that you left behind in Halifax, we know that you changed your identity, and more so, nobody gives a fuck about what we do with you, so you better talk if you want to live.”

Shannon didn't show the shock he felt. Felix had changed, in a good way from the man he had been when they had last talked, but that he could be so mild mannered and so 'dangerous' at the same time amazed him. It seemed that whatever Felix was really doing in London, it was taking it's toll. But anyway, Savalek seemed to take Felix' threats serious and stammered with a low, almost inaudible voice: “I...I....” Felix stepped back and assumed his old spot at the wall as if nothing had happened. Shannon glanced at him and was relieved to see a short smirk. Turning back around he said: “Mr. Savalek, you must know that under the US Emergency Act of 1936 and the Canadian War Emergency Powers act of September this year we can charge and imprison you without a proper hearing, as the proof is overwhelming. We might however be persuaded to talk to the Canadians about a deal of some sort, if, and only if, you work with us here. Isn't that right, Commander Leiter?” “Indeed it is. However, bear in mind that lying would instantly invalidate any agreement we might reach.” With that, Felix left the room in order to telephone Sanders. Technically Felix had no authority to grant any sort of deal, unless he got Sanders to agree to it. But Sanders agreed that the CSIS would co-operate, as long as the prisoner would in the end stay in Canada, in order to root out some more of the Soviet spy rings that still persisted all over the Dominion. Thus satisfied, Felix went back to the room, where Savalek was still sitting at the table, still scared out of his mind and nervously picking apart the cigarette he had been offered by Shannon in the meantime. “Now Mr. Savalek, let's talk...” And Savalek talked all right.

Over the next few days the controllers that had run the networks through the various postal services and several South-American Embassies noticed that more and more of their agents were picked up or disappeared without a trace. They were even more surprised when they themselves were awoken in the dead of night by rude men in red Uniforms. Over time, a picture formed, and a week later Felix sat at Ian's bedside and explained it all. “So Felix, just to make sure I understood, you jumped through the window after that bloke?” Felix laughed and said: “Indeed I did. He must have been sitting on needles all day, because he tried to run when we only knocked at his door, without saying anything.” Felix took a sip from the Coffee he was holding in his hands, having sustained on nothing other for the past three days. “Let me tell you though, when he eventually did talk after I..ehm..persuaded him, it was like one of these trashy Spy novels my sister likes to read.” Ian laughed, and said: “Yes, I know these. Before we left for Canada I promised her that after the war I was going to write her a better one.” Felix grinned, and for a while they just both said nothing. But then, after a while Felix continued. “So anyway, he really did work for Ivan all along, it seems that the chaps in Moscow arranged everything so that it would point to the Spams. We can only guess how far they were going to take this, because that bloke also said something about having been ordered to set up some sort of rendezvous at the coast, so we can only presume that something was supposed to come in from there. We can only presume what it was though. Either he wasn't told or he is a better liar than I expected. For all we know....”

20th October

Lavrenti Beria was not feeling particularly good right now. The Soviet Union had invested considerable resources into Operation Southern Watch, and now he had to go to Stalin and tell him that somehow the Canadians and the British had managed not only to stave it off before it had really begun, but had also penetrated the second part of it and taken down almost all of the remaining Soviet Assets in Canada in the process. Although the failure of the first part of the operation was more down to dumb luck, there had still been a few 'early retirements' within the Baltic Fleet. However, Stalin already knew, at least by the looks of it, and this feeling was proven when said Soviet ruler asked: “So, Comrade Beria, why did the second phase of Southern Watch fail?” “We don't really know, Comrade Stalin. All we know is that the Canadians suddenly started to arrest all our operatives in their country about a week and a half ago, and from what we know this is still ongoing. Apparently it all started when the operative assigned to Southern Watch was arrested. They made him talk, and then the whole system collapsed. As you know, Comrade Stalin, I recommended an overhaul of our foreign stations a few months ago, and here we see the proof for my proposal.” Stalin just grunted and lit his pipe. “The Comissar for Naval Affairs has told me that the Kalinin was sunk by sheer luck, is that true?” “Yes, Comrade. It seems that the ship had the unfortunate bad luck to run into a small imperialist patrol squadron of Denmark. The British claim that he managed to sink a Destroyer and disable a light cruiser before running into a Battleship. The coward surrendered immediately, but at least had the good sense to scuttle his ship before hoisting the white flag. That way the British will never know of her real mission and put her off as a normal commerce raider.” Beria really thought that the British would never find out that the real mission of the Kalinin had been to sink Allied and neutral shipping wherever encountered, while visibly flying a UAPR flag. This had been intended to enrage the British even more, make the outright declaration of war Beria and Stalin had hoped for more likely. He was however realist enough that the chances of the Kalinin to actually make it into the Atlantic unmolested had been slim to begin with.

What Stalin didn't know, and what he would hopefully never find out, was that the axing of the Soviet Network in Canada had also killed of another operational plan. The idea had been to agitate in Quebec and spark a rebellion whose only purpose was supposed to have been to draw even more British resources from Europe, nothing else. However, if Stalin ever found out that a second operation had been butchered by this failure then Beria himself would be 'retired', if not worse.

[Game Notes: A bit rushed, yes, but I think I've drawn this all out long enough.]

And the Royal Navy triumphs again!

Hmmm, luckily you didnt get drawn into a war with America. Still, one day democracy will return to the 13 colonies..... I mean the United states.

Hmmm, luckily you didnt get drawn into a war with America. Still, one day democracy will return to the 13 colonies..... I mean the United states.

:D

Good update!

I do truly hope you will have more plot lines with Ian and Felix...... :)

Cheers for the RN!
Uncle Joe sure won't be happy with Beria if he finds out the second operation in Quebec is dead before it even started. :p

Le Jones Indeed. After all, Britannia rules the waves.

Lord Strange Aye. War with America now would have put me in a sticky situation. Let's just hope that a certain someone is his usual expansionist self and keeps them occupied.

humancalculator They'll appear again, because the SOE didn't just conduct counter-intelligence.

gaiasabre11 Indeed. However, if someone can keep a cockup like that secret it's the chairman of the NKVD.

Enewald Well, no offense to British Columbia or Vancouver, but in Canada the action is in the eastern parts.

Hmmm, is that a massive foreshadowing that oneday war will happen. I wonder who that certain someone could be.......

Hmmm, is that a massive foreshadowing that oneday war will happen. I wonder who that certain someone could be.......

War with America might happen, because I sure as hell won't push for it, I have my hands full in Europe. As for the certain someone... well.... :p

You can't be serious...Chiang Kai-Shek?!?!

Good luck Tojo!

Chapter 86

2946570-warsaw_under_bombs-Warsaw.jpg

7th December, 1939

For the first time in months the guns over the city were silent. No planes in the air, no anti-air fire. No flashes ofartillery behind the horizon, none of the shrieking, freight-train like sound in the air, no constant rattle of gunfire and explosions. The remnants of the city were strewn about like the playthings of a giant child after a day of activities. There was an eerie silence in the air for the first time since the fighting had begun, and the cauldron of men, blood and steel had been so perverse, so utterly brutal on both sides that even the birds and rats, normally the last beings to flee any location had vacated the the ruins, giving way to the beast that is man. The blackened ruins were plastered with the ashes of war, and bullet holes marred the few surfaces that were still in one piece. In the entire city not one house could be found that seemed as if it were even remotely habitable. The streets were choked with rubble and the wreckage of war. From burnt out vehicles of every imaginable make and form to abandoned artillery pieces everything could be found. Over it all lay the sweet stench of rotting flesh, and those still alive did not know what would happen to this city. One thing however was sure, the Battle of Warsaw was over. The German and Soviet invaders had paid a dear price for their victory. Many of the regiments of the initial attack wave had been forced to pull back due to heavy losses and the Poles had fought dearly for every inch of their capital. However house by house, street by street had the much more numerous Soviet and German invaders wrestled for control of the ruins from the defenders, and in the end the last few Polish defenders had been hemmed in in the ruin of the Great Theatre, flying the White-Red flag from the highest point. The battle for the building had lasted two weeks, the 'front' sometimes cutting right through a room, with the Poles holding one side, and the Axis the other, both sides taking cover behind rubble or shattered furniture. Although they knew that they were doomed, seemingly forsaken by their allies and surrounded by the armies of two vastly more powerful nations, they still had fought to the last bullet, to the last hand grenade, to the last improvised weapon they could find. And now, after all this time the last ragged defenders of the theatre had been pushed over the edge. The Germans had sent them an ultimatum that was due to run out in a few seconds, and any time now the artillery would start shelling the city again. However in the depths of the cellar, one of the few levels that were still in Polish hands, the Colonel in command was about to connect two wires. He did so, and send an electrical spark through them, igniting the countless rounds of Artillery shells that had been stockpiled in the rooms around him causing a cataclysmic explosion, sending the building and the men inside it up into the air, lighting the night sky for one last time. Later historians would record that 'plucky little Poland' had never surrendered formally, but for all intents and purposes Poland had ceased to exist as a nation.

Three hours later the BBC employees at the listening posts in Kent and all along the eastern coast of Britain heard the triumphant announcement broadcast over Reichssender Hamburg, hailing the 'brave German and Soviet Troops' that had defeated the Polish invaders of their respective nations. The news was instantly flashed to to London, and from the BBC staff there to the public. When the news filtered through to Fleet Street, the night Staffers called in the bosses, halted the printing and soon the new headlines openly trumpeted the news out, and even the Government-friendly newspapers owned by Beaverbrook and others, had hastily written editorials that pointedly asked why the BEF was still not deployed to France, and why the military had not taken offensive action to aide the Poles save for bombing the German industrial centres. The Imperial General Staff too was burning the midnight oil, and was preparing for the BEF to move out. Orders were drafted and plans polished even more. Gort was still in negotiations with the French over the exact command structure, and cursed the impotent French Government, that promised all the help it could, which was in reality preciously little, as the French had delegated the day-to-day running of the war almost completely to the French General Staff, which was free to act as it pleased. He stomped into the room where the night watch was busy assembling the sparse information that was available. “Gentlemen, what do we know?” “Not all that much, Sir. The Jerries are blaring it out over every radio station they have, and presumably so do the Ivans, but we concentrate on monitoring the German ones during night-time. All we know is, Sir, that the Poles apparently ceased active, organized resistance a couple of hours ago. We can't get in touch with them over any channel, and we don't really have any recce assets that can penetrate that far.” Gort nodded and stepped up to the table, where the one constant of the last months, the small polish flag pinned into Warsaw had already been removed. “And the French? How are they reacting?” Another staffer cleared his throat, and said: “It seems that they are screaming for us to deploy, Sir. Apparently Gamelin expects the Axis to roll over the border any second.” Gort normally tried to stay away from cursing in front of his staff, but this time the lateness of the night and his lack of tea broke his resolve. “Has anyone told this bloody stone-carved fool that it will take them at least a few weeks to deploy even a fraction of their Tank Divisions west? And even then, has that insufferable oaf ever looked out of his bloody castle? It's three feet of snow already!” The Officers and ratings present knew better than to interrupt his rant, and after a few moment he had calmed down enough to do his work again.

However at the same time his counterparts in Berlin, a conglomerate of the Staff of the Soviet Forces in Germany and the OKW, were planning their own moves. Although incredibly inflexible at times, this arrangement had proven to be the best of both worlds during the Polish campaign, as both Staffs occupied the same building in Berlin, so co-ordination was relatively easy. Marshal Hoepner, Chief of Staff for only a month, after Halder had met with an unfortunate accident on the way back from a visit to the front, had been busy together with von Manstein and Zhukov, planning the spring offensive in the west. He was supposed to present the plan to the rest of the assembled Staff Officers, so that they could brief their respective masters and field commanders. However, he still felt that the plan the two Officers had hatched still carried too many risks. Case Yellow, as it became known, relied on the French acting decidedly rigid and immobile in their defence strategy, essentially trying to repeat the strategy of the last war. He had to admit though that the idea about how the stalemate could be avoided had some merit, and if it worked, then the pay-offs would be enormous. If it worked, then France could be knocked out in a matter of months, and then surely the British would seek peace or at least pull out of the war in Europe, allowing the Axis Forces to be concentrated in other theatres, carving up the world as they saw fit. There were numerous plans on the shelves that could be acted upon as needed. There was a short-term plan designed to decline the Royal Navy access to the Baltic Sea, and another one that would involve intervening in Spain, where the Civil War was still raging on, despite, or perhaps because of, the end of the help for the Nationalists and Republicans respectively. Both the Condor Legion and the Soviet contingent had been pulled out once the Alliance had been signed, but much of their material had been left behind, and so the Spanish were still slugging it out with what they had managed to keep running. But that was none of his concern. If they ever had to brush these two factions aside, it would be the responsibility of Armee-Oberkommando Süd-West* and whatever Armygroups could be spared form other duties. But there were also ideas which he felt definitely uncomfortable about, chiefly that idiotic KM idea about Operation Sealion, that would depend on total success in France, and of course, the most closely guarded secret in the German military: Operation Barbarossa. Officially only a contingency plan, Hoepner knew the truth, and only hoped that the Führer would give them enough time to prepare. But first things first, he decided. Case Yellow demanded all of his attention at the moment, as the time allocated for the preparations was precious, and a lot still needed to be done. Luckily the only offensive activity by the allies were frequent night air raids on the vital German industries, but that was the problem of the Luftwaffe, and he had already done all he could in that area.

*Army Command South-West

[Game Notes: It's of course a bit cheap to blame it all on the French, and...no, actually it isn't. The British Army can hardly be held responsible for defence cuts, but the French are still the ones with the large Army and the inflexible Generals.]

Last edited:
So, at least one day the dreadful alliance will fall apart. Also, lets have some silence for the brave poles. Just a short question, will the Dutch and Belgians get a chane to be brave as well?

Hey! Got an idea!

Let's parachute Felix into Berlin, at close range of Adolf!

Then, if he survives (he's a hard sob, but...), let's repeat the trick at Moscow

and...

Problem solved!

Bah, if the Germans invade Russia, theres gonna be chance of another Iron Curtain. You better liberate the Poles and not the Soviets!