• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sir Humphrey Hehe. I like to write them, but I probably got half of the terminology wrong.

BritishImperial Hehe, neither do I. I always like to insert such little things ( even when, like in this particualr case ) they aren't my invention.

As if I hadn't already enough comittments. But alas, I couldn't resist, so I ask you, and everyone else, to come over to my new blog, on which I will post dayly-ish. Comments are as craved there as they are here.

Sooner or later, the Hood is going to meet the Bismarck and then... :D

...I know, the Hood will sink the Bismarck. :rofl:

Yey for the Hood. Can't wit for the day when it is the Carrier hood of the British Imperial Navy. Lets sink more german transports.

i would comment on your blog but i think from vaguely working out what the german instructions are telling me, i cant unless i sign up. which i will at some point when i can be bothered.

BritishImperial said:
i would comment on your blog but i think from vaguely working out what the german instructions are telling me, i cant unless i sign up. which i will at some point when i can be bothered.

Damned. I knew I had forgottens something. But I'll be content with having anyone read. :)

A most spiffing piece of action, I've no idea if the little details are correct (they seem about right) but they do make the updates nicer to read. :)

The Soviet Pacific Fleet does indeed seem a grim and terrible posting, possibly a slight over reaction but then I suppose it is supposed to serve as an encouragement to others.

Lord Strange Carrier somday perhaps, but it will always be simply the Royal Navy. In TTL present the Royals are seen as a symbol of unity for the Empire, something that every subject has in common.

BritishImperial Instructions have been changed to the Queen's own English.

El Pip Glad you liked it. The SPF is indeed seen as the backwater posting in both Navies, and it is indeed intended to encourage the others. Raeder also did it to save his own skin.

trekaddict said:
Damned. I knew I had forgottens something. But I'll be content with having anyone read. :)

oh i'll definately read it. i read someone else's blog on here for a while, cant for the life of me remember who, but it was really interesting seeing another side of them and their thoughts etc beyond playing hoi2.

I love Naval updates. :D

Despite almost freezing my fingers off until the heating becomes effective I announce the next update for sometime this afternoon.

Chapter 63

rus_combined_attack.jpg

September 13th, 1939

Fortress Warsaw, north-eastern sector ( eleven miles from the Castle )

Warsaw had been almost cut from the rest of Poland almost at the first days of the war, but the attacks on the city itself, be it by the Soviets from the east and south-east or the Germans from the North and West had so far always been repulsed. After they had been forced to cede the Germans their precious corridor work had begun immediately to transform Warsaw into a fortress. In a unexpected case of foresight the Polish Military planners had realized that even if the British were willing to help immediately the French might not, or the other way around, and had therefore decided that Poland would not try to hold and wait. In fact true to the phrase of “Better die on your feet than live on your knees” it was decided that Warsaw was to be used to make a defiant last stand if the Allies would really let Poland hang to dry. For most of the last year the entirety of the Polish Army's corps of Engineers had done nothing but erecting fortifications in and around Warsaw. Evacuation plans were made to remove most of the civilian population that did not fight into the rural areas to the south-east, where the Soviets and Germans would presumably attack last, corner buildings at crossroads were remade into fortification works, untold loads of ammunition and all kinds of supplies were amassed everywhere. The Polish Army on the outside was fighting desperately to keep the corridor open in order to allow the few Civilians that had not volunteered for the Army or Militia to escape south, hoping to have marginally better chances to survive. The defences or Warsaw had four layers: the outer ring, about eleven miles from the Castle, another one at the extreme limits of the city, then Warsaw itself, with its houses, tunnels and the unfinished subway, and lastly the Castle, where the Government and Army would make their final stand, broadcasting the National Anthem until the transmitter was destroyed or the generator was no longer available.

Colonel Bilzec of the 23rd Infantry Division was the commander of the battalion that had been tasked with holding this part of the outer perimeter. He knew that this line was simply a tripwire, designed to alert the defences further inwards of impending German or Soviet attacks, what meant that his men were doomed before anyone else. Still he would fight to the last, defend holy Poland until he drew his last breath, he had sworn himself that when he had received news of the beginning of the war. It was amazing. Within ten days the Polish Army had been utterly routed on all fronts, and the Soviet and German Spearheads were racing through the gaps, and had already captured much of the country, except for Warsaw and a thin corridor to the south, leading towards the Romanian Border. He was hunkered down in a small log bunker, peering through the slits and looking out for the German Infantry that had to be around here somewhere. His forward position, half a mile out had telephoned in a huge column of the same, just before they had been silenced forever. He had given out orders to his men to hold fire as long as possible, in order to draw the Enemy Infantry as close as possible, to have them as deep as possible in the killzone of his position. formed like a crescent so that the few machine guns he had left after he had been forced to give up most of them for the inner defences had the maximum effect. Mortars were sighted onto that area, with plenty of high-explosive shells, and the grenades everyone had would too take their toll on any Axis unit. His position was perfectly camouflaged, right at the edge of a little forest, so that even from directly above anyone would have a hard time spotting the position. In front of him was a vast expanse of open ground, covered with wheat fields, empty, fenced in areas where cattle had been held. Somewhere in front of his position was the point where the Bug and converged in a lake, and farther back was the Soviet Border. His Command Post was slightly elevated, so that he and his staff could see a bit farther than the others. This arrangement, however was not in the mind of an officer who liked to lead his men from the front, not the back, but in this particular case he was needed, needed to survive as long as possible, in order to alert High Command back in Warsaw of the angle of attack. This paid off when in the person of one of his staffers. “Colonel, there, can you see? I believe it's at least a squad, maybe more. Russians I think.” It were Russians, and Bilzec let loose a sigh of relief when he couldn't see any tanks with them. He raised the field telephone that connected him to his forward positions: “All right, men. Let them come within 50 metres as we practised. The Soviets, completely oblivious to the Polish Infantry Battalion to their immediate front headed right into the trap, spaced out in a skirmish line. The Colonel however slightly began to feel nervous when more and more Soviets came into sight, by now it was at least a company. He willed his men strong nerves, because if anyone now lost them now and opened fire before the Soviets had fully walked into the trap then they would just pull back, reform and call in Artillery. But luckily enough the Soviets weren't expecting trouble so it seemed. They were talking and did not really make the impression of a unit advancing into enemy territory. The Polish Battalion was about to show them the errors of their ways, just ten more metres...

Suddenly the world seemed to explode into a storm of explosions and fire. The polish Machine Guns opened fire first, effectively sealing the exit of the killzone with lead and tracer bullets, and were joined by small arms fires and mortars a second later. Bilzec saw the Soviets falling by the dozen and grinned, satisfied with his work. The Company was in utter disarray. Some tried to flee backwards, only to be cut down by Bilzec's best marksman and the machine guns, still hammering away at the mass of brown-clad men. Many were crouched behind what little cover the terrain provided, only to be picked off one by one, either falling prey to the only Sniper in the unit, the mortars that were shooting as fast as their barrels could be reloaded or the hammering guns of the men and his heavy support squad. Then the Soviets started to fight back. Bilzec had to give it to whoever was leading them, he knew his job. Some of the Soviet Infantrymen had found cover behind bushes, rocks and sometimes even the dead bodies of their comrades, and started to return fire at an enemy they could only locate by his muzzle flashes. When the surviving Lieutenant reached for the radio he saw that it was smashed by a mortar fragment, along with it's operator, and Artillery was out of the question without one. Still, the Red Army Infantry returned fire with all their Mosin-Nagant rifles could give, but unfortunately it was not enough. Ten minutes later the last organized resistance collapsed. A squad of polish Infantry squad went out, mercilessly finishing of any Soviet Soldiers that had survived. The bodies were quickly cleared away, and what camouflage that needed to be replaced quickly put back into place, and half an hour later nothing reminded of the fact that a company of Soviet Infantry had died there. So when a flight of German Stukas flew over the position to hit Warsaw's last remaining power station they did not attack or radio it in. By this time the Polish wounded had been tended to and the guns reloaded. They knew that the next attack would not be as easy to repulse. They steeled themselves, knowing that they were most likely doomed, because soon the commander of some Soviet Regiment would notice that one of his companies was missing, and send in a lot more than that single, uncovered Company of Infantry. The next attack would include everything from their fearsome tanks to planes and Artillery, and the Russians were in love with massed artillery barrages. The poles waited for the inevitable, knowing that it could hit them without warning.

[Game Notes: Sorry for the shortness of this chapter, but I didn't feel to good today and the chapter itself didn't exactly pan out as planned. ]

a most noble stand. good to see poland isnt going to go quietly into annexation. and if you are ill that makes the quality worth at least twice as much.

Do Broni! die evil invaders die! I know that defeat is inevitible but I also know they'll make them pay a tall price in blood. Don't piss off the Poles.

BritishImperial Thank you, but it was more a matter of temporary 'depressions' for a lack of a better word ( my english is still pretty basic in that area I'm afraid ), meaning something in RL pulled me down, but I should be allright in a few days or so.

robw963 Defeat is inevitable indeed, but the Polish shall make a defaint stand in and around Warsaw. Think Stalingrad in 1939. :D

So... is Poland doomed?

Damn... I thought that the mighty Hood would come to rescue the brave Polish army...
yyevilgrin0007.gif

Couldn't resist, sorry... ;)

For all her glory and greatness Hood is still a ship and Poland has been landlocked since 38. :D

trekaddict said:
For all her glory and greatness Hood is still a ship and Poland has been landlocked since 38. :D

Excuses, excuses...

As it has already been said, no need to apologize. The update is superb.

And, my dear friend... Whatever has happened in RL, recover soon, please.

My best wishes to you!

Peti, my loyal farting pet, sends his greetings too.

Kurt_Steiner said:
Excuses, excuses...

As it has already been said, no need to apologize. The update is superb.

And, my dear friend... Whatever has happened in RL, recover soon, please.

My best wishes to you!

Peti, my loyal farting pet, sends his greetings too.

Thank you. As for recovery: I'm well on my way, because as always watching a couple of Bond Films cheered me up to no end. :)