• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
to be fair, it is amazing but you cant be worse than us.

BritishImperial said:
you guys have a cricket team?

scottish notes are an invitation to forgers everywhere to go nuts.

from my (limited - mostly cab driver) experience of meeting americans they dont even know that the Uk or britain or whatever exists, let alone what countries make it up. several people said 'are you from london' and talked about 'london money'. the impression i got was they thought that theres a little island somewhere east called london. it consists of about 20 people. all of them have very bad teeth, and drink tea with the queen every day.

of course, i only have very limited experience and so of course most americans are not as stupid as i have just made out. thats just the people i met on holiday.

Well if you guys would STOP billing us for that Tea we dumped, then WE'LL stop sending our idiots over there for holiday... :D

:D

thats what i like about these forums really. you have people from all around the world and all of them with at least a basic knowledge of where countries are and what happened in the past. i remember a girl at my school a couple of years ago asking who won WW1. i nearly cried.

BritishImperial said:
:D

thats what i like about these forums really. you have people from all around the world and all of them with at least a basic knowledge of where countries are and what happened in the past. i remember a girl at my school a couple of years ago asking who won WW1. i nearly cried.

Agreed. It refreshing not having to explain every five minutes that the Germany is a real democracy now. :mad:

Yeah. In my History class I'm something of a know-it-all...just because I read a lot and have a good memory...O.O

Due to extreme boredom and having already finished my article for the AARlander I have decided to start the next chapter already.

Note ahead: I had incredible fun with this one, hence the speed at bringing it up.

Chapter 43

53093125_MG_5176.jpg

January 6th, 1939

Somewhere in northern Wales

The plane had landed on a small RAF Airfield south of Wrexham three hours ago. Now they were sitting in the back seat of a car speeding towards Anglesey, disguised as civil servants checking up on the progress, at least to the ordinary scientists. Only the head of the Project would know who they were and why they were there. Leiter, still in the dark about the nature of Tube Alloys, was mystified about the almost clandestine nature of their travel. They had started in the dead of night, dressed in RAF Uniforms that they had promptly lost upon arrival, only to be replaced by extremely boring suits that minor civil servants would be wearing, including the obligatory bowler hats, umbrellas and suitcases. Leiter, still the American despite all the years spent in the United Kingdom, was slightly uneasy in these clothes, much to Fleming's silent amusement. They weren't talking much, Fleming because there wasn't anything new he could tell Leiter, at least for now, and Leiter simply because he knew that Fleming wouldn't tell him anything beyond what he already knew. Leiter was feeling strangely at home here in Wales, as the countryside reminded him a bit of his native state of Colorado, and he made a note that he would most certainly live here one day, considering that this would be about as close to home as he would ever get. He missed Colorado Springs desperately, but he was also glad that he had been posted in London when the old US had finally collapsed. It had also been sheer luck that his parents, along with his younger sister had made it out in time. When he had written to his family three months ago to arrange their relocation to Britain, his father, a retired Cavalry Colonel, had told him the whole story. Apparently the Colonel had, when the Communist Militias had started to get dangerous in the area, packed the whole family, the Family photo-albums, his old Cavalry Uniform and all movable valuables into his new car, one of the last produced Chrysler Airflow, and had driven from Colorado Springs right up to the Canadian border, where he had immediately asked for and been granted Asylum. Unlike many of the other refugees he had not expected to be able to return anytime soon and had started to set up shop in Toronto, where he now owned a bakery that was reportedly fairing rather well.

Then, three months ago, he had written Felix that he was in the process of selling the shop and wanted his help to move to the United Kingdom where he wanted start all over again. Leiter was overjoyed, the prospect of seeing his Parents and his sister much more often was something to forward to, but he had 'somehow' forgotten to mention that he had joined the Royal Navy, and his father, a fiercely patriotic man might not like it. Well educated and having inherited a considerable sum of money from his own father, the old Leiter had served in the U.S. Cavalry from the age of sixteen, and had always taken pride in his service. He had always been somewhat suspicious about the British, a trait that ran in the family ever since the war of 1812, and who knew how he would react when his son greeted him while wearing a RN Uniform, whatever the rank. Still, his displeasure would be muted by the fact that he would know that his only son would not only have managed to build a respectable existence out of nothing, and had already rejoined his service of choice. Leiter still shuddered when he thought how his father had reacted when he had discovered the letter of acceptance from Annapolis in the mail. He had calmed down after a while, but was still joking that the 'bad influence' from his uncle had driven him to deviate from the family tradition that went back to the War of independence. Back when he had still been a lowly ensign working in the RN Signals Intelligence department he heard the news of the last Vice President's death in San Francisco during the last days of the fighting, and had instantly been worried about the fate of his immediate family. He could still remember his relief when a letter from his mother had reached him through the refugee service of the International Red Cross, back in 1937. He had immediately written back and had said that yes, he was well, and from then on the flow of letters across the Atlantic was steady in both directions. He was desperate to see them all again, especially his twin sister, and couldn't wait for them to arrive on the next voyage of the Queen Mary back from Halifax. There were so many stories to trade, from his fathers insistence that he would always fly the Stars and Stripes from his house, to his mothers work with the Royal Canadian Refugee committee, or that his Sister was still working in the family bakery. He couldn't wait to see them all again...

On the other side of the car Fleming guessed what his friend was thinking about, and decided to stay silent for the remaining drive to Anglesea. When they however finally reached the Ferry he startled Leiter from his pondering, as they both needed to show their papers. The Ferry voyage was silent again, except for the last few minutes where Leiter spoke up for the first time since they had left the airfield. “And you're sure you can't tell me what this whole project is all about?” Fleming shook his head. “Terribly sorry, chap, but I can't. However I was told that the head of the whole thing would brief us both in detail once we are there.” They left the ferry and the car picked up speed again, sometimes coming dangerously close to sliding of the roads that were slippery with the thick ice that was covering every surface. Still, after another hour, they reached a massive, fenced in compound, guarded not only by the Royal Military Police but also troops from the RAF Regiment, usually intended to defend RAF Airfields. They passed the fence after their car had been thoroughly inspected, and passed a small walkway where armed guards were patrolling with dogs, and another fence that looked suspiciously electrified. The road then wound up a a small hill, again fenced in on both sides. After a few minutes they reached yet another guard post, this time manned by MI5 personnel. Here everything took even longer and both men became slightly impatient. After a while they were let through, only to be challenged at yet another post a few hundred yards down the road. After that they reached what looked like a set of Army barracks, nestled to the side of a cliff that went almost straight up. In the centre of the compound a square with a huge Clock tower in the centre could be seen, with the huts and barracks arrayed around them to form a chess-board like network of small, paved paths. On one side of the square stood a single administrative building built out of the Stones native to the area, where Fleming presumed the administration of the project to be. If there really was a traitor here he would be in there. At the side of the area it was clear that there was still massive expansion going on, with all work halted during the winter, and to Fleming it was clear that the powers that be were taking Tube Alloys most serious. The whole area was surrounded by woods that looked like they hadn't seen any human presence since the dawn of the Universe, all in all it would have looked like a perfectly normal British Army had there not been another set of guards with dogs patrolling the perimeter. The car moved to one of the stone building and stopped there. Fleming saw what he presumed to be a scientist coming out, desperately trying to shield himself against the snow. He approached the car and said: “Gentlemen, I guess you are here to talk to the chief? Follow me please, he is waiting for you inside.” The two NID officers followed him into the warm building where their papers were checked again.

The scientist lead them up several staircases, past rooms that seemed to contain labs, offices and definitely a whole boatload of boffins, all doing things that went miles beyond Fleming's education.
Finally, on the top floor they reached a door where – they again had to show their identification and authorization papers. The Scientist turned around and said: “In there, Gentlemen, is the brain of Tube Alloys. I will not follow you in as I have pressing work waiting for me. He will wait for you, second to last door on the right. Fleming and Leiter stepped through the door. The floor in here was several notches more luxurious. Fleming felt thrown back into the rooms of the debating club at Eaton, with the wood panelling on the walls and the wooden, yet perfectly polished floor. When they had reached the second to last door on the right he knocked tentatively, and a voice with a European accent answered: “Come in.” When they stepped inside Fleming almost lost his lower jaw. It couldn't be. It simply couldn't be him. He had read the obituary in the paper two years ago, and yet here he was, alive and well...

[Now, who might that mysterious boffin be? :D And sorry for the character development, but considering that Leiter will be a major character I felt like giving him a bit more of a profile. Maybe I'll go into his background some more in the future. Also in TTL the US won't be as 'tainted' as they are in OTL. ;) ]

Last edited:
is it mr einstein? sorry if thats stupid but i'm pretty tired.

I've just finally caught up with this AAR, quite smashing, if I say so myself.

I'm not sure who this mysterious person is, I really don't know much about anybody involved with nuclear weapons development other than Einstein and Heisenberg.

Too big to be a secret super tea pot, so it has to be something else...

BritishImperial said:
is it mr einstein?
I wouldn't be able to think of someone more fitting, though trekaddict might have thought of someone else (hope not, Einstein will do, I think).

It is Einstein. As to why his death was faked, well, that's something you will get to hear in due time.

Just a thing ahead: I absolutely and perfectly hate Nuclear Weapons. Period.

As much as I like using them in the game, in this AAR, if I manage to develop them in time I will only use them if I absolutely have to.

EDIT: I seriously recommend watching Trinity and Beyond - The Atomic Bomb Movie. Absolutely and perfectly terrifying. :eek:

Last edited:
trekaddict said:
Just a thing ahead: I absolutely and perfectly hate Nuclear Weapons. Period.

As much as I like using them in the game, in this AAR, if I manage to develop them in time I will only use them if I absolutely have to.

EDIT: I seriously recommend watching Trinity and Beyond - The Atomic Bomb Movie. Absolutely and perfectly terrifying. :eek:
In all of the years playing HOI1&2, I've used a nuke but once. It was just to see what happens when you do use it. (Must admit that in my LAN game with my brother, I'm researching nukes like mad. He's playing USA and me Germany (my favourite nation). I've got more experiance than him in the game, but he's got... well, THE USA!) :D

i think only someone with serious moral issues can actually say they like the use of nukes in real life. i like them ingame though i've only ever got as far as using them about twice. their only use in the real world is as a deterrant, and i do think they do that job excellently. as close as they have come to obliterating us, they probably did prevent another major war.

That they did.

I use them ingame quite often I must admit, but almost always in a tactical role, and only if I have no other choice, and the same policy will be in place for this AAR.

Also some piece of advice, from something I am currently experiencing. Never, EVER leave a whole flank of your Barbarossa to Paratrooper Units alone. This Soviet Counteroffensive is bloody hard to beat off... :eek: :eek:o

trekaddict said:
Also some piece of advice, from something I am currently experiencing. Never, EVER leave a whole flank of your Barbarossa to Paratrooper Units alone. This Soviet Counteroffensive is bloody hard to beat off... :eek: :eek:o
Thank you for that sage advice, although I must confess it wasn't something I was thinking of trying. :p

Anyway, interesting update, looking forward to find out why Einstein's death was faked. Perhaps because others are working on Nukes? Or because Britain doesn't want anyone to know that they are?

Whatever may I suggest keeping Big E away from any actresses until his work is done, without Miss Monroe to sate his appetites I dread to think what he would do!

El Pip said:
Thank you for that sage advice, although I must confess it wasn't something I was thinking of trying. :p

Anyway, interesting update, looking forward to find out why Einstein's death was faked. Perhaps because others are working on Nukes? Or because Britain doesn't want anyone to know that they are?

Whatever may I suggest keeping Big E away from any actresses until his work is done, without Miss Monroe to sate his appetites I dread to think what he would do!

The Paratrooper flank was caused by a massed Airborne Landing in Estonia in a bid to create a massive pocket and to take Leningrad early on, and both plans succeeded.

As to why his death was faked... more on that later, the next update sets up the scene for the Spy hunt. As for Mis Monroe, well... Hollywood is slightly different from what we know in OTL and Northwestern Wales isn't exactly Party Town. :D

El Pip said:

As Marilyn is only 12 years old at this time it's irrelevant anyway. Marlene Dietrich; on the other hand, would quite probably be living in Britain in this time line... Even if Britain doesn't quite know what to do with her..... :D

Last edited: