• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
He knows! He's onto us! Quick, hide!

Oh, please, don't go ASB...

Trekaddict

Interesting update on the advantages of a good intelligence campaign. Plus if it allows the finding of a lot of loot and returning to the rightful owners, or their next of kin its definitely worthwhile. Not sure what's in the two boxes the guys are looking for, or why they seem so certain its not in the huge stash their find. Doubt its nuclear based given what they already know about the German programme.

Was the reference to the South Essex a tip of the hat to another military series of a somewhat earlier period?;)

Steve

A regiment from just two centuries ago, methinks. I do wonder what Sargeant Harper would say about it.

Agent Larkin As much as I am looking forward to Iron Sky, no. Sorry.

ViperhawkZ For the moment we are safe. He has no proof!

Kurt_Steiner I won't, fear not.

stevep The British are starting to look at what do do with Germany after the war and before they decide anything they need to know who to talk to, and they figure that those on the Nazi Blacklists are a good bet.

The first three Battalions of the South Essex Light Infantry Regiment under freshly promoted Colonel William Lawford are currently acclimatizing in southern Italy from a lengthy stay at the North-West Frontier. The 4th was removed from India far earlier and has been semi-officially allocated to Paperclip.

Now, out of universe: AAO is NOT set in the Sharpe-verse but I figure that if the South Essex were to survive the draw-down after the war (likely IMO considering their patronage) and the subsequent Army reforms and mergers it's history makes it more than likely they'd be formed into a Light Infantry Regiment, with an ongoing alliance with the 95th and it's descendants.

I used them before and decided that with the NWF a career dead-end I only introduced to have a place to let Monty rot I had to place them where the action is.

Kurt_Steiner Depends. If he had any descendants they'd likely serve in the Irish Expeditionary Force.

Last edited:
Agent Larkin

ViperhawkZ For the moment we are safe. He has no proof!

Damn, you mean I shouldn't have given him a link to the AAR?:eek::laugh:

stevep ...

Now, out of universe: AAO is NOT set in the Sharpe-verse but I figure that if the South Essex were to survive the draw-down after the war (likely IMO considering their patronage) and the subsequent Army reforms and mergers it's history makes it more than likely they'd be formed into a Light Infantry Regiment, with an ongoing alliance with the 95th and it's descendants.

That's the one I'm thinking of, although far too long since I read the books.

Kurt_Steiner Depends. If he had any descendants they'd likely serve in the Irish Expeditionary Force.

Kurt

Given he was a soldier and quite an imposing figure of a man he probably has descendants serving in quite a number of armies in the current conflict.;)

Guys - as of Monday I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks but will catch up with events when I get back.

Steve

Or they may fight in the British army as General Alexander did.

stevep Sharpe and Harper are the two main characters of the series and putting them in here would take things a bit too far. As for the Sergeant's descendants, well, considering that he was an Irish nationalist even when that wasn't really that popular even in Ireland I would have to put him in the Thunderbolt Division if I were to use him.

Kurt_Steiner See above. The biggest change here is that the Irish vets of the British Army won't be as publicly shunned as they are OTL. :mad:

Yeah. Don't take this personal, but when I started thinking about the ideological and religious brain twisters caused by an Irish entry into WW2 under a British-led alliance are fun enough to almost make be like Popcorn.

Also, a suspicious number of Irish Army recruits either brought British-Army issue kit and/or shooting skills when showing up...

Ireland in a British lead Alliance wouldn't be such a headache if it wasn't Dev in charge. Seriously that man has caused more trouble in Irish history then British some times. Civil War, Trade War, All of his stupid mistakes during the Emergency I mean the man was just a walking trouble magnet sometimes but due to the fact that he was a Commander in 1916 nobody in the Republic would stand against him. Sometimes I really wish Connelly had lived cause then Irish history would have been different.

Yeah I don't know where they could have gotten that...... I mean it's not like Irish people have ever successfully looted whole British Arsenals when no-one was looking without any casualties.....

De Valera here is politically isolated. As much as he seems to have hated the British OTL here the Soviets and Germans bombing and mining Irish cities and waters to force Ireland into an openly pro-axis neutrality left him little choice as he would have been thrown out on his ear within seconds.

And actually, it's the chaps with the shooting skills Special Branch and Five used to worry about... The others were given honourable discharges by the Ministry of Defence...

There is that possibility, yes.

Though I must say I reserve actually deciding anything on that until I actually have to, one way or another. I know next to nothing about that part of Irish history and I'd need to look into it some more first.

stevep Sharpe and Harper are the two main characters of the series and putting them in here would take things a bit too far. As for the Sergeant's descendants, well, considering that he was an Irish nationalist even when that wasn't really that popular even in Ireland I would have to put him in the Thunderbolt Division if I were to use him.

Kurt_Steiner See above. The biggest change here is that the Irish vets of the British Army won't be as publicly shunned as they are OTL. :mad:

trekaddict

I wasn't implying you would. AOH may produce a few historical improbabilities but a couple of 150+ year old veterans would be going somewhat too far.;)

Very good point about the treatment of Irish troops who fought alongside Britain. Which raises the question. What happens to those Irish citizens who joined the British army prior to Ireland joining the conflict. Would they stay, be transferred to give an experienced backbone to the Irish units, be given a choice or what?

Hopefully also the shameful treatment of the Indian army veterans will not occur this time around.:mad:

Steve

When I saw mention of the South Essex I wondered if they'd be armed with stilettos (White)...

Disappointed to hear it's a Sharpe reference now I'm stuck with an image of Sean Bean shagging posh birds above his pay grade :(

They were given a choice, and far more than the MoD would have liked joined the Irish Army.

As for the Indian Army: Oooh no. Quite the opposite in fact. With conscription in force in India both the Indian Dominion and British Imperial Governments would not survive long if they weren't honouring those that serve.