• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
stevep I intended to use the name at some point from the moment the war started, but I saved it up for something good. I can't comment on your ideas re the mission except that yes, they will call at Singapore at some point. They aren't send on a suicide mission out of spite, the statement was just that Characters personal opinion.

Re AOD: Time, and lots and lots of practice. In more than one game Royal Marines invaded New York City after Bomber Command used instant sunshine to blast through American defences. :D

Kurt_Steiner Well, I have plans. All I can say.

El Pip TTL that name is far less boastful.

John Smith btw does not have any flying blue Boxes around, although that particular one did lend his name when I needed an obviously fake one. His real name is a fiction of western pop culture all of it's own, sorry. No real person here. ;)

His real name is a fiction of western pop culture all of it's own, sorry. No real person here. ;)
I never said I thought it was a real person did I? I'll drop you a PM with the guess just for my own satisfaction.

I really don't have time to read through these 300 chapters, but from the little I've read I say it looks great :) I was only wondering what year you're in atm and if you could show a map of your empire, or redirect me to a page where you've posted one

Thanks in advance ;)

It's November 1942 (the annual winter time skip is coming up though in two, three chapters at most). The map is easy to imagine. Take any given pre-WW2 map, take continental Europe south of Scandinavia and north of Spain as enemy, with Allied Forces having everything south of Vienna and Slovakia with the minor Axis countries having recently thrown their lot in with the Allies.

Chapter 305

“So it is quite obvious that the Americans have retaken Midway, some weeks earlier than we expected. It did cost them at least two-hundred men though, and several warships. Unfortunately their official releases are even less reliable than ours, Sir. It is very hard to deduct what actually happened.”

The Prime Minister of the principal Allied Power nodded. “Truth is always the first victim in war.”

Churchill was due to embark on a tour of all the Commonwealth-Dominions and was not looking forward to the tour as it was to include a meeting with the Chairman of the American Central Committee off New York City and there were few that hated the communists more than Winston Spencer Churchill.

“What else do we know about their side of the Pacific?”

“Unfortunately there is nothing much to know. Their next step is invariably Wake, and then either towards Iwo Jima or the Mariana Islands. Unlike us they have not many routes towards Japan to choose from.”

Dill hesitated. “Sir, I am still not buying the whole 'independent Nation' thing regarding the Philippines.”

“Neither am I, Marshal.” Churchill replied.

“But St.Claire[1] thinks that it is most likely they can't be bothered doing Island hopping and clearing that particular quagmire for a Nation that was independent before the war and still contains an awful lot of US Loyalists.”

“Of whom some are working with the Japanese.”

Churchill snorted. The so-called 'American Liberation Government' was loud but about as free or significant as the Indian National Government that was operating out of Saigon and generally ignored by it's target audience, after all the 'vile British Empire' was 'perpetuating Colonial exploitation' by extending the vote and granting full internal self-government to all of India.

“I think we can discount them Marshal. Discounting the fact that they cannot be bothered with taking all these Islands, I think that they probably do not want to liberate a country where the local resistance movement is more than likely to attack them right after they stop shooting at the Japanese.”

Dill considered this and a report he had read some months ago. When the US Government had started to re-call it's overseas stations with varying degrees of success the Philippine Department had at first declared for the United States but when the war had turned it was clear that these forces would be stuck there due to sheer distance and slowly but surely the Department had dissolved. Some had managed to reach America and declared for one side or another, some had made it to Australia, but a lot, especially those with their families near them, had folded into the then-newly independent Philippine Army and were now, along with their local comrades, forming the core of the biggest pro-Allied insurrection behind Japanese lines.

“We need to look into aiding them in some form once we have re-taken Java and Sumatra, Marshal. We need to help them however we can.”

Some of the PM's fixed ideas were enough to drive any soldier to drink, some where plain impossible and some had merit. This was definitely one of the latter. If the locals could be aided and armed then they would tie down significant Japanese ground forces that the Allied Armies elsewhere would not have to face. The fact that they were even still around after so long and even had a radio station somewhere in the hills.

“Sir, we need to talk this over with Admiral Cunningham, but we use Submarines for supply runs to Singapore. We could use our longer ranged ones to runs small supply caches. Once contact is established, of course.”

Churchill nodded. “Indeed.”

He stubbed out his cigar. Sir John Dill, Marshal of the Empire and Chief of the Imperial General Staff knew what was coming next, the message concerning it had reached Aldershot before No.10.

“Frankly, Prime Minister, I think the Officer concerned has a very vivid imagination. We should do it.”

Dill might have been a political appointment as much as a military one, but Churchill had come to admit to himself that the CIGS knew what he was talking about.

“The..repercussions that Herr Hitler might unleash could be....”

Dill agreed. “That is true, but we should do it anyhow. From what we hear the situation in Poland can't get much worse and I do not even have to ask to get their agreement. The Dutch and the Belgians on the other hand are a case of their own, though they probably will participate. The Belgians I am more certain about, they fought like the Devil and though the Jackboot is nowhere near as heavy there as it is in Poland what we propose to do cold change that. Hitler isn't known for acting rationally, especially when we kick him in the balls like that.”

Something else Churchill had come to appreciate, Dill was a diplomat who was also capable of a refreshingly frank manner when the situation called for it.

“We need to consider public morale in our own country too, Marshal.” Churchill said and picked up the glass of Brandy he had been nursing for the last hour. He took a sip. “This war has been going on for a long time with no end in sight, and a high-profile operation like that we can mobilize them more for the war effort. Operation Chastise[2] has shown that.”

Dill agreed with that. “Have we spoken to the Poles yet?”

Churchill shook his head. “Not yet, Sir John. There is the matter of Operational Security to consider.”

If the British had learned anything about Intelligence Operations in this war it was that no one was beyond being compromised. The case of the Polish filing clerk who had been recruited by the Germans through the Soviets with promises of good treatment for his family was a lesson for all the Allied leadership.

“What are the forces at our disposal?” Churchill asked.

“Including the Belgian, Dutch and Polish Squadrons the plan calls for six Squadrons, three of ours and one each from the Dutch, Belgian and Polish Air Forces. That makes ninety-six planes with two 500 pound bombs each.”

Dill reached for his briefcase and took out a map of the target area.

“We took these with a high-altitude Wellington a few days ago. As you can see the Hall isn't finished and they have stopped work for the season. They reached approximately 136 feet of height, and according to the Admiral[3] they plan almost twice that. Apparently Hitler was none too pleased about the lack of progress.”

Churchill looked at the plans. “If it were finished these planes could carry nothing that would pierce the roof.”

“Yes, Sir. The Mosquito simply is too small to carry anything big enough. We might have to task Bomber Command on it at a later date.” He cleared his throat and pointed at the remainder of the Nuremberg Party Rally Grounds.

“The Congress hall is not finished. However we know that the Nazis will hold a massive parade, and that Stalin too will likely be present. Attacking it then and there will shatter their own self-image of invincibility more than our ground Armies can.”

“There are risks though, Marshal.” Churchill said. He had weighed them himself and was more interested in hearing if the CIGS was feeling the same. The argument was old and it would be discussed at least a dozen more times before the war was over, but never again would there be an opportunity like this.

“That is true, Sir. But as the saying goes: 'Better deal with the Devil we know.'. After all, whoever would replace Hitler and Stalin might do an even better job at fighting us. As things are we can determine with some accuracy how the Axis will react to anything that happens on the Battlefield.”

While Churchill somewhat doubted the second part he knew that there was some merit to what the Marshal was saying, in fact it would be the main argument when he presented the plan to the war cabinet.

“I did have the impression that Group Captain Gibson's men were becoming slightly bored lately. It will give them something to do at least.”

And thus it all started...

+-+-+-+-+-+-

Comments, questions, rotten tomatoes?

[1] British Ambassador in America.

[2] As OTL, only that it happened in summer 1942.

[3] Canaris.

Here are some examples of the Air Forces involved:

PolishMozzie.jpg

Air Forces of the Polish Republic

BelgianMossie.jpg

Belgian Military Aviation

DutchMozzie.jpg

Royal Netherlands Air Force

Last edited:
Edited. Any comments on the rest of it?

Can't wait to see if this plan works or not. :cool:

Trekaddict

It could work but if you're planning what it sounds like, then in real life it would probably be a bad idea. Simply because we couldn't really get a better German commander [for us] than Adolph. In game terms I'm not sure how the system would react to a successful decapitation strike.

Rather suspect in real life that Stalin would go anywhere near some sort of Nazi gathering like that, especially while at war with Britain under such circumstances. Doubt he would trust the Nazis, either to not do something stupid or to fail to protect the leadership against an attack.

Also, are you talking about a target in Berlin or in Munich. If the latter it might work as the allies have bases in N Italy and the Alps will make radar somewhat uncertain. However if in Berlin I rather doubt that we could reach them before the leaders were hustled to shelter somewhere. Which might be a propaganda coup for those in the know that the Nazis had to quickly shutdown whatever their doing but I doubt we could actually catch the leaders.

If we did, while there might be hopes of it detaching at least part of the German army, especially since the oath would no longer apply as Hitler made sure it was personally directed to him rather than the office. However a lot could be angry at such an attack and the Nazis are virtually certain to take very nasty reprisals to civilian populations or any nationality implicated.:(:(

Steve

Carlstadt Boy That's more than enough. :)

humancalculator Well, the Mossie is still one of the fastest planes on record ITTL at this time, so the chances are good.

stevep Oh, the Allies are specifically NOT going for Hitler, for ´just the reasons you described. I've heard it said that when Churchill was asked after the war why they never went for Hitler he replied that he was the Allies' best secret weapon. While he doesn't have the GRÖFAZ status here (thanks to the Belgian Army and the BEF) he is still his usual charming self.

Regarding Stalin: The Allies merely have some intelligence that he will be there. If this is still accurate by the time of the Parade (30th January 1943, more than two months from the time of that conversation) is something I will keep for myself for now. As for his motivations, Stalin is knee deep in a war against Japan and China and he needs to be on the Germans' good side, so he might figure that to keep the Alliance working he needs to be seen side by side with the Austrian Corporal now and then. Besides, it's the parade that celebrates ten years of Nazi rule, so it's the most high-profile celebration yet. Which of course makes it the perfect target for the RAF. :D

As for the location: It's the annual 30th January parade in Nuremberg. With the different war situation Hitler has ordered a massive parade to be held. There are loads of Axis units in Bavaria anyway, so using some of them for the parade is easy, considering that there is no Eastern Front, and it's also about reassuring the great unwashed who slowly begin to get the feeling that the war isn't going terribly well for them. Which makes it an even better target for the RAF.

There are clouds of Allied Aircraft stationed in Italy, and the first idea of the strike the Axis will get is a 50+ contact coming over the alps. Along with a #"$E"/%!"§-load of other aircraft.

just having hitler rushed off into a bunker and the event rather publically cancelled due to unexpected 500 lb raindrops ought to be sufficiently embarassing to adolf. he didn't deal well with frustration or embarassment so this ought to goad him into further mistakes.

Hitler: I am inweencible!
RAF: I don't think so old chap wot wot!

Ehran Yup. As said, Hitler isn't the target, but his aura and German morale are.

ViperhawkZ Pretty much. :D

Interesting, for a moment I was wondering if Hitler had started his grand rebuilding of Berlin and the target was going to be one of Speer's ludicrously huge domes, however hammering Munich is probably a far more symbolic target than any grandiose (but doomed) construction site elsewhere.

That said I do wonder how many British officers are getting wound up at the amount of foreign kit being handed out to government's in exile. History shows gratitude evaporates very quickly when a war is over so I hope someone in the government is making sure Britain is suitably recompensed for all this effort. ;)

And now something completely different:

Is it me and my liking of that crazy little thing called bawdy or the big dome of the Volkshalle looks like a charming albeit a bit pointy breast?

That's all folks!!!

PS: When I begin to make that crazy suggestions is a clear indication that we need an update.

El Pip The rebuilding was started but didn't get very far. The PoD is too far back to change the ground under our fair and perpetually penniless capital.

It depends on the country with the kit. The Dutch are paying with their Gold reserves and resources from the Dutch East Indies both present and future, the Belgians and the Poles get good prices due to their loyalty and role in the war so far, to be paid after the war (hint: a lot of countries will owe the British a whole lot of money). The Poles will be one of Britain's best friends after the war. All the debt generated by this does benefit from a decent payment plan. Broke and failed countries can't pay of course.

The only country where the British aren't expecting to get much, if any of their investment back in some form is obviously France. :D There they only get kit to keep them going because someone needs to hold the Gerries in the alps.

Kurt_Steiner It does.

Agent Larkin He likely flew and died for one side or another. I plan to leave the ultimate fate of most historical figures up to speculation until I can use it somehow.

It depends on the country with the kit. The Dutch are paying with their Gold reserves and resources from the Dutch East Indies both present and future, the Belgians and the Poles get good prices due to their loyalty and role in the war so far, to be paid after the war (hint: a lot of countries will owe the British a whole lot of money). The Poles will be one of Britain's best friends after the war. All the debt generated by this does benefit from a decent payment plan. Broke and failed countries can't pay of course.

The only country where the British aren't expecting to get much, if any of their investment back in some form is obviously France. :D There they only get kit to keep them going because someone needs to hold the Gerries in the alps.

The Allies with land left to call their own (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Iraq(?), Oman(?), Yemen(?), Nepal(?), Bhutan(?), the Balkan states) are probably not sinking as far into debt because they have their own production facilities - OTL, Canada's military automotive factories - just Canada's - cranked out more trucks than the entire Axis over the course of the war.

Added question: Are there any expeditionary forces (like OTL Brazil's or Mexico's) serving on the Allied side? Any countries from Latin America that have joined the Allies in name only(, like OTL Panama)?