• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This looks like 55 Days at Peking but without Charlton Heston or David Niven.

BTW: is Niven, one of my fav cinema stars, still with the Commandos?

Do I predict a film called "Race to Singapore" being produced?

Raaritsgozilla For real? Not that I don't believe you, but in the first volume of Milligans autobiography (which is incredibly funny) you hear a lot about 'the band'.

Kurt_Steiner Actually, the film is likely to have more David Niven in it. I like him too, him and Leslie Phillips are the best Fogs of all them out there.

Niven is making films as per OTL.

Lord Strange See above comment and my affinity for war films. :D

Agent Larkin
The same Christopher Lee who is also Ian Fleming's cousin? Well, he is actually working in Intelligence, but Ian hasn't met him. Yet.

When that happens, I want to hear him telling some story about stabbing a guy and how it sounded.

On the topic of OTL famous people, will J.R.R. Tolkien still get to write his fantasy epic?

I'm thinking about writing a "Where are they now in 2011 piece" that will distribute via PM. Tolkien is already on the shortlist, any more suggestions via PM are welcome.

*Thumbs up*

Me likes it.

George Orwell (bet he's having a very interesting war?)

George Orwell (bet he's having a very interesting war?)

Now he was actually the catalyst for the idea. One day I was just wondering how the alt-1984 would look like....

Agreed, but from what I've read this early in the war the Japanese usually only did that when the Officer Commanding felt cornered or was exceptionally stupid. Here the 42nd Army is graced with a commanding Officer who not only has a brain but is still willing to use it. This will change though if/when they feel their feet getting wet at the Western Coast of the Island. Where the Germans would have evaced their troops to Sumatra (see Sicily to Italy after Husky) the Japanese will fight it out.

most of what's written about jappanese army is from the american pov where they found the jappanese on islands with literally nowhere to retreat to. imagine this has biased opinions on the jappanese.

Raaritsgozilla For real? Not that I don't believe you, but in the first volume of Milligans autobiography (which is incredibly funny) you hear a lot about 'the band'.

As far as I know, it was at some point. Nana has an autographed instrument of some sort she showed me as a kid.

Er.. on the topic of famous people Tolkien was served in the trenches in WW1. I'm sure I've seen something where he explicitly denied his works were about WW2.

Personally I read LOTR as a lament for the innocence lost by the total war nature of WW1 and also about the profound social change that war caused. Of course I see Sam as the hero, when all the Officers and Aristocrats failed it was 'Tomy Atkins' who won the war.

No matter what he said, I can't see any author who lived through the war not being influenced by it.

Well, the influence of WW1 in LOTR is obvious, but one cannot deny the similarities between Sauron and Hitler, and the Allies have an unmistakibable influence on Gondor et al.

So the Rohim (sp) are the equivalent of the 7th Armoured then? I like!

Hardly - Rohan are the Yanks, turned up late ;)