• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If it plays out then it will be in this, but if then only in the last few updates.

And if it works oput that way this will be in it too:

0e406bb1.jpg

Bafflegab said:
wow, you have really moved in just over a week! I try to keep up, but apparently you are faster at creating updates, than I can make comments! (Good updates too!)

As a Canadian, I have to say, that I like your version of the flag, but have no objections to the dominion of Canada flag either, and am obviously very proud of our current flag. How is that for non-commital? Add in some apologetic tones, and I'll fit the Canadian stereotype to a 'T'! :D

Jets are definitely the way to go. If you can't beat 'em in manpower, (and you can't) then you'd better beat 'em in tech.

Sorry, I missed your post. I am glad you like the new flag. :D And yes, you are correct in the MP think. I hope that my big edge over the AIs is that I as a human can concentrate on techs that give me an edge in combat instead of researching almost everything like the German and Soviet AIs do.

Positively spiffing planes! How about an RIAF Tornado next? :)

Eams said:
Positively spiffing planes! How about an RIAF Tornado next? :)

Maybe. :D

The B1 btw will be the TTL Avro Lancaster II, the main strategic Bomber of the Allied Powers.

trekaddict said:
The B1 btw will be the TTL Avro Lancaster II, the main strategic Bomber of the Allied Powers.
Will it be the replacement to the TSR-2?

No. The Tornado will replace the TSR with RAF Fighter Command. (No Strike Command will exist in TTL). The Lancaster II will replace the Vulcan from the mid 1980s onwards, because in TTL Britain will not dismantle her strategic bomber force. I can say no more without even more spoilers.

Chapter 30

0c07c1f8.jpg

November 24th, 1938

Berlin, the British Ambassador's Office

“What in the blazes are you talking about?” Flemming quickly recounted what had transpired in front of the Embassy. The Ambassador listened intently and then said: “How can we be sure that this is genuine, because if it is a lot of heads in Whitehall might start smoking soon.” “As I said, Sir, there is no way to be sure, but I will recommend that someone in London will look into this. In any case, I have to excuse myself, Sir, I must go to the Communications Room.” The Ambassador nodded his agreement and Flemming left. Ever since he was made head of Station G (Germany) since the shakeups in century house he had feared that his past sins would come back to haunt him, and now it had happened. He also knew that he would most likely be summoned to report directly to M, and the prospect of seeing his native London again improved his mood to no end.
Upon arriving in the communications room he set these thoughts aside. He had already formulated a message and handed the form to a clerk. “Have this encrypted and sent to London immediately.” “Yes, Sir.” With that he turned and went to his quarters to pack. While he did so Flemming wondered who the mysterious figure had been. It hadn't been Canaris. The Admiral was way too much his Führer's pet dog to do something like that. Other than that he could not think of anyone who might have the guts to approach British Intelligence in that way.

Before going to the mess for some late lunch he went by the communications room. True to his word M had already answered. “Report to London at the earliest possible time. IA flight tomorrow 11 o'clock.” Flemming was a Londoner by birth, and any chance to get back home was worth the effort, even if it mean that he might have to look for a new job soon.

d69d92aa.jpg

Croydon Aerodrome, November 25th 1938

Flemming was stepping out of the Imperial Airways Lockheed he had taken from Berlin to London. Here he was, without orders or any idea where to go. He figured that he should report to M immediately. After reclaiming the few bags that weren't being sent back with the diplomatic post next week he stepped out of the Terminal, feelign a sense of homecoming when the noise from the busy streets of London hit his ears. Similar to Berlin and yet so different. For one thing everyone spoke English, and there weren't any Swastika Flags to be seen. The smells, the people, the traffic, all seemed achingly familiar, and suddenly Flemming found the prospect of not being sent back out again not even half as bad as he had been before. Whatever happened, he would be able to stay in London, or at least in the United Kingdom. While deciding what to do he wandered to a nearby newspaper stand and read the headlines. “PM to board Warspite to Imperial Conference tomorrow” “Churchill confident about success” “Protests in South Africa and India”. Flemming had heard about the Imperial Plan Churchill had put in motion with the help of the King, but his own work had not allowed him the time to read the newspapers the Embassy had flown in from London every day. What he had read had been the German Newspaper, and frankly, he had decided that he got better fairytales from the children of his colleagues... his most likely former colleagues. He started whistling the opening bars of the refrain from 'Rule Britannia'* but was interrupted the voice of a man in a taxicab. “Mr Flemming?” “Who is asking?” “Universal Exports, Sir.” The usage of that nickname only distracted casual observers, but it was not intended to do more. 'Universal Exports' was the disguise of MI6, and Flemming knew that they had sent a car for him after all. “You do realize, Mister, that I arrived here almost thirty minutes ago?” Ian said after entering the car. “That is true, Flemming, but I was held up at the office.” Ian's head moved around so quick that he feared he would break his spine, and true enough in the other seat sat M, the head of MI6. “Uhm, Sir, I...” M made a dismissive gesture and said. “No offense taken, Flemming.” He lit a cigar and continued. “Now, Flemming, what can you tell me about Pinetree and your mysterious contact?” “Not too much on both I'm afraid. I have the files with me.” M nodded. “We will go through them back at the office. Now tell me Flemming,” he said and looked at the other man with an enquiring look on his face. “why do you think this is genuine?” “Well, Sir, firstly the man approached me in a rather conspirational manner, and secondly, what little solid information I could confirm on the spot seems to be genuine.” Ian paused for effect. “No matter if it is genuine, I believe we should look into this.” M agreed and said after a while: “Tell me, Flemming, you do hold a inactive Naval Comission?” “Yes, Sir. I graduated from Dartmouth in '29.” 'Here it comes.' he thought. “Well then, Flemming. You do know that you can't go back to Germany. The know who you are, and frankly the risk of even sending you to Japan or America is simply too great. Until we know how exactly the new channels run in this 'brave new World' we can't take any risks.” “Yes, Sir, but if I may be frank, what does that have to do with my Naval rank?” M grinned and said: “We've been working close with the NID for some time now."

M did not say any more and Ian realized that he would have to wait until they got wherever it was they were they were going. The car wormed itself through the afternoon traffic of Downtown London until it reached a nondescript warehouse at the Docks. After exiting the car and leading Ian into the building M started to speak again. “ You know that it is company policy that burned operatives can't be sent overseas again?” “Yes, Sir.”

M nodded and said: “NID has heard rumours that Jerry is preparing some sort of operation a while back. It turned out to be a wild goose chase, but the rumours persisted. For the last two years NID has had a special task force. The previous administration wanted to disband it a few times, but when I was the deputy head of MI6 I was also responsible for what inter-agency cooperation we had back then, so I managed to keep it alive. Now, things are different of course.” he grinned. “so anyway, here we are, and I want you to head up this. It will be your responsibility to coordinate it all.” Ian was astonished and his next words reflected that. “Me, Sir, why that?” “The information you brought back is the best thing to a lead that we have, and you are the only one who at least knows how the source sounds like. The first step would be to go through our files, maybe you spot him.” Ian knew how unlikely that was, even at the best of times, and he had only had a small glimpse of the sources face. “And anyway, Flemming, to do this you would need to be a Naval Officer, which you are. You held the rank of Lieutenant when you joined SIS I believe?” Ian nodded. “Yes, Sir, I was promoted the day before I left.” I shall talk to Rear Admiral Edwards, the head of NID, perhaps we can arrange another half stripe.” “Thank you Sir.” It amazed Ian that M was so sure that he would accept, but on the other hand he had to know that Ian would never go back to being a file clerk, and that he would rather leave SIS for good. “But Sir, my uniform...” M held up his right hand. “Rest assured that the Rear Admiral will take care of everything before you start to work here. We will meet him in that office up there.”

[Game effects: None, but Winston is about to move to the conference which is btw where we are going to spend the next few updates, and in areas related to that. Flemming is about to join Naval Intelligence.]

*that is honestly what I am doing when I am bored and waiting for something to happen, e.g. at bus stops. Pathetic maybe, but hey, you will understand once I have 3000 posts.

He can't do too much damage from a warehouse at the London Docks.

Also, the next guess-the-picture-competition is on.

a7560d24.jpg

Answers like "A Battleship main battery" will not do.

The last thing Mrs. Thatcher saw before being run over by the HMS Hood?

Eams said:
The last thing Mrs. Thatcher saw before being run over by the HMS Hood?

Unfortunately no. Ms Thatcher died in 1977 when her plane misteriously crashed. The RAF Air Defence Command exercise held in the same area has absolutely nothing to do with it. :p

trekaddict said:
Unfortunately no. Ms Thatcher died in 1977 when her plane misteriously crashed. The RAF Air Defence Command exercise held in the same area has absolutely nothing to do with it. :p
And then John Cleese of the Liberal Democrats ended up winning the 1979 election? :D

Nope. The conservative Candidate still won. Blair will be the first Labour PM since befor WW2. Mind you, I wouldn't vote conservative were I british, but the German reunification kept our own conservatives in power for eight more years, and something similar applies here.

A future wreck, as nations who chose aircraft carriers sink it?

Faeelin said:
A future wreck, as nations who chose aircraft carriers sink it?

Nope. I'll tell you. I want to post another update this night and I need to use that picture. It is the forward main Battery of HMS Warspite.

Chapter 31

a7560d24.jpg

November 25th, 1938

HMNB Portsmouth, just outside HMS Warspite

The car with the Prime Ministers party had already cleared the guards that closed of the pier where the mighty HMS Warspite was anchored and Churchill was still dictating memos and orders to the secretaries and the Staff that would take the car back to No 10. Just because he and Anthony Eden were about to embark on a crusade to save the Empire from the weight of time the country did not stand still. He was sure that Morrison was more than able to run the United Kingdom while he was gone, he had been an admirable Home Secretary during the past weeks. Still, Winston was reluctant to give the helm of the country out of his hands even a second earlier than he had to. Standing orders were that he was to be notified via wireless should anything unexpected pop up so that he could make a decision if needed. When the car shuddered to a halt in front of the Gangway to make room through the sea of reporters from all over Europe Churchill decided that he had to make a short speech to satisfy the vultures. The earlier they got what they wanted the sooner he could get underway. The press had been surprisingly supportive of the Empire Plan, especially so after the King had again voiced his support in a second Imperial decree, but the ultra-conservative and outright right-wing press had been screaming for blood without stopping these last few days. The French had shown the expected arrogant silence and the only major foreign opposition to this plan had come from the Soviet Union, but that did not bother the Prime Minister in the slightest. What bothered him was the dissent from South Africa and the riots that had immediately broken out in India between the supporters of the plan, among them Ghandi whom Churchill knew by reputation from his days at the Colonial Office and those that wanted full Independence. Ghandi had also assisted the authorities in restoring a semblance of order, urging his 'fellow Indians to keep the peace and at least to listen what the British had to say'. After this Churchill had insisted that he was to be invited to the Conference, something that the more pragmatic leaders of the Indian National Congress didn't really like, but Churchill was actually looking forward to meeting him, as was the King who would hold the closing speech for the conference.

Upon exiting the car Churchill was assaulted by a firework of questions that only stopped after they had realized that he was about to speak a few words. Several minutes later Churchill was walking up the gangway, greeted by Warspite's Captain. “Welcome aboard Warspite, Prime Minister. If you would be so kind to follow me?” After the obligatory inspection of the ships company the Prime Minister moved into the unused Flag Cabin. Warspite was still part of the Mediterranean Fleet, but the Fleet Commander was flying his flag from Glorious now. Churchill remembered this with a chill. The current Naval dispositions were risky at best, but until Force A could sail in full strength the few Carriers the Royal Navy possessed were best used in the Med where the fleet would need more Air Cover than in the north sea, despite the existence of a single German Carrier. Churchill had already tried to persuade Backhouse to transfer at least one Carrier back to Home Fleet, but the Admiral could not be deviated from his course. Churchill had already made a mental note to replace him at the earlies possible moment, preferably by someone like Pound, but for now Backhouse's political connections saved him. The Admiral would need to fail, and catastrophically so before Churchill could outright sack him. What could be done now was bypass him as much as possible. Because of this not the First Sea Lord but rather freshly promoted Admiral Cunningham was the RN representative at the conference. Churchill cleared his head. He intended to use these few days to relax, sort of a vacation, the last he would have for a very long time.

A crew-member knocked at his door. “Able Seaman, Goldsteen, Sir. The Captains compliments. He wishes to know if you would like to whitness the Gunnery practice from the Bridge, Sir.” “Tell him that I will be right up.” “Yes, Sir.” On his way to the Bridge Chruchill could remember the days before the Great War when he and Jackie Fisher had pushed the Queen Elizabeth Class through Whitehall, and had almost failed a few times. Now he was here, on one of the most beautiful products of British engineering. The old girl would have to be decommissioned but he would put all his power into preventing her from being stricken and scrapped, because for some reason Warspite was his favourite QE-Class ship. When the PM reached the bridge all the officers present snapped to attention. “At ease, Gentlemen.” Winston ordered.

Later that day he was sitting in his cabin together with Foreign Secretary Eden and Admiral Cunningham. The men were sitting around the table, drinking Brandy and discussing the world outside the Empire. Admiral Cunningham was currently speaking. “We can be lucky that the Rednecks are deploying most of their Naval strength against the Japanese. We are stretched thin as it is.” “Rest assured Admiral that you will lead a complete Force A out of Scapa.” Winston replied. “I do however agree. The neglect the Navy suffered in recent years is inexcusable, financial difficulties or not. British power has always been made possible by the Navy.” Eden chimed in. “If we can make this treaty work then the cost for enlarging the Navy will be considerably spread.” “Still,” Winston continued while sipping from his Brandy and lighting a new cigar. “I fear we shall not get the time we need.” “Are you sure, Sir?” Cunningham asked. Churchill quickly glanced at Eden and nodded. “I fear very much so, Admiral. Europe is brewing, and it is only a matter of time before something cooks over, and even if it does not then either Jerry or Ivan will make it. We might need these carriers sooner than expected.” The conversation revolved around the seemingly imminent Japanese Victory in China and then moved on the the Carriers that were currently under construction at Rosyth. “Frankly Sir, I am bloody damn glad I managed to talk Vickers-Armstrong out of designing them with that blasted thickly armoured flight deck everyone wanted. It would have limited the type and number of the Carrier Air Group way too much.” Eden was very interested in this and asked: “So the carriers are less protected?” “Not at all, Mr. Foreign Secretary. We moved the Armour to below the hangar. This increases the hangar size considerably. The Glorious for example can carry 48 Aircraft of all types, whereas the Illustrious class will be able to carry up to 90, maybe more if we push it.” Eden whistled in admiration. “Gentlemen, I always like to say that more fighters are a better protection then more armour, because it avoids that the ship is hit in the first place.” Churchill laughed and said then to Cunningham: “I wonder how you pushed that past the First Sea Lord.” Cunningham took a deep drag from his cigar and answered with a smug grin on his face: “This may cost me my shoulder boards, but I simply delayed him seeing the plans, and only handed them in after I persuaded the engineers.”

1547b0c1.jpg

The 'Lusty' in 1941​

Cunningham had been among the RN delegation who had reviewed the captured American plans for their Yorktown-Class follow-up, originally called Essex Class that had fallen into Canadian hands in late 1937 and had immediately decided that a similar approach was needed for British Carriers. Upon returning to Britain he had immediately talked with the design team for the new Illustrious Class and had, in complete ignorance of the delays this would cause insisted that the plans would be reworked to include this sort of protection. This meant that the first ship, HMS Illustrious would not enter service until 1940 at best, but Cunningham had argued earlier that evening that better Carriers that could serve and live longer in combat were worth the wait. “Tell me Admiral, how would a Carrier engagement look like?” Again it was the Foreign secretary who asked. Cunningham proceeded to describe a hypothetical one in detail. “The scenario is simple. One force, let's call it 'Red Force' is sortieing from its bases to capture an Island occupied by 'Blue Force'. Through intelligence Blue Force realizes that Red Force is at sea and sends its own Carriers out to intercept. Red Force also gets word that Blue Force is at sea. The Invasion Convoy itself stays behind. Both sides arrive at the Island at about the same time, and send out scouts to locate the enemy. It is however too late to attack today and both Admirals decide to wait. On the next day scouting resumes and Blue Force finds the enemy first. The Scout reports back and the planes are launched at the last known position of the enemy. Around that time Red Force finds the Carriers of Blue force and launches its own CAGs. Both attack forces fly onwards, keeping some fighters back to provide Air cover.” He paused to wet his throat. “The bombers of Blue Force arrive first. The Torpedo-Bombers attack and get three hits on two Carriers, followed by the Dive Bombers. They get more hits, sinking one Carrier outright and setting another one ablaze. Meanwhile Red Force attacks too and only sets fire to one Carrier. Both Air Groups return and rearm. This time Red Force launches first, but fails to locate the Carriers of Blue Force that have meanwhile closed the range. This, paired with the heavy losses they took from the Air Cover that Blue Force kept back prevents them from doing any further damage to Blue Force. Meanwhile Blue Force sinks the remaining Carriers and upon returning the planes of Red Force have to go into the drink.”

Eden was fascinated. “So whoever locates the enemy first has a decisive edge?” “Yes, Sir, pretty much. I however plan to be Blue Force. RDF and our scouts should give us an advantage there. The Rednecks and the Nips are having serious trouble with making their own sets work.”

[Game effect: Transitional piece. In TTL the Illustrious and all following Carriers do not have the armoured flight decks of OTL, but rather decks made with teak like the OTL US carriers and later in the war something else due to merchant shipping constraints. Does anyone have more knowledge than I do on this and can suggest a viable alternative the British could use? And sorry, but I will use this TTL to 'fix' various things that I think went wrong in OTL. :p]

And to celebrate 10000 views I will release a spoiler. As usual highlight to read.

Early in the War the Royal Navy will suffer a series of catastrophic defeats where a very prominent ship will be sunk. NOT THE HOOD. By the end of the War Britain will have a stockpile of five nuclear warheads. Oh and Cunningham will be known as 'Sir Andrew Cunningham VC' after the war.

Last edited:
Great update!

[Game effect: Transitional piece. In TTL the Illustrious and all following Carriers do not have armoured flight decks, but rather decks made from teak and later in the war something else due to merchant shipping constraints. Does anyone have more knowledge than I do on this and can suggest a viable alternative the British could use? And sorry, but I will use this TTL to 'fix' various things that I think went wrong in OTL. ]

I think you are confusing two things here;
1-all major warships (I think.. :rolleyes: ) had steel decks and were mostly made out of that. On top of the steel deck often was teak.
AFAIK only minor craft were made out of wood without steel below it.

2-Certain warships were armoured; although this was part of the ship this hasn't got that much to do with 1.
Battleships are the extreme here, but the British armoured carriers had although much thinner something alike AFAIK.
This made the carriers tougher (arguably; kamikazes did have lesser inmediate effect on British carriers in '45 than on the American ones) but also brought disadvantages.
You named one, the lesser airplanes onboard, but the hangar will probably also be lower and the carrier will have much weight high up (due to the heavier deck).

The British armoured carriers that did get serious hits were often deformed by those anyways. This damage was so severe that IIRC at least one carrier was strucken because of that post-war.

Your argument that the best defense is more planes certainly holds true IMHO.
Although there is something to say the British had different needs then the Americans. The FAA was puny in size and carriers would often be used in the confined waters of the Med, making use of armoured carriers makes some sense I guess.

I could easily be wrong though. Although I'm a member on the Warship1-board like you. :D