• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 133

Churchilladdressparliament.jpg

15th August 1940

Cabinet Bunker

The Prime Minister was sleeping in the chair behind his desk. He had worked through most of the night, trying to asess both the political situation in France and the rumblings within his own party. Halifax was starting to campaign openly for a honourable peace agreement in case the French did so, whilst at the same time the French were starting to come apart at the seams. The French General staff still obeyed orders to fight on for the time being, but Reynaud was doubtful about how long this would last, and a few unquestionably loyal members of the Army and his party silently started to sound out the situation in North Africa. It was all terribly exhausting and had taken it's toll. He was therfore less than pleased when he was shaken awake by an aide with the message that Italy had declared war on the Allied Powers. Twenty minutes later the war cabinet was assembled. “Gentlemen, as much as I hope that there won't be many more of these meetings, I fear that the war will take much longer now. Morisson,” he said, addressing the Home Secretary, “I want to go on the wireless as soon as possible, make it happen.” “Yes, Sir.” Churchill turned. “Anthony, tell the Italian Ambassador that he has six hours to leave the country. After that, we will remove him.” “Are you sure, Sir?” Eden asked, taken aback at Churchill's mood. “I bloody well am.” Churchill smashed his hand down on the table. “I am sick of tyrants of any sort trying to seize the opportunities they see when they think we aren't looking. I am sick of men like Hitler and Mussolini pushing around nations just because they are stronger. No more.”

Edward R. Murrow was finally comfortable with working in an institution like the BBC. He had left America just in the nick of time, and was working for Radio Free America and was also on the fast track of becoming a major figure within the BBC, being a candidate as BBC's America correspondent. Today he felt once again like the young journalist that had fled America like so many others. The Prime Minister was once again making a speech.

“The dark shadow these days cast is one that threatens to lay itself over all of Europe, over all of the world. One more nation is falling under the dark spell of totalitarian conquest, one more nation that aims to destroy another. Italian aggression once more reaches out, joining it's brethren in Germany and Soviet Russia, once again against a defenceless nation. Albania refused to submit to Rome's will, and now pays the price for their sovereignty. One might ask: 'Is it prudent to fight even if there is no chance for victory?' 'Is it right to be defiant in the face of impossible Odds?' It is the conviction of His Majesties Government that the price is never too high. The right of sovereign nations, their primary and premier duty is it to defend the live and freedom of it's citizens. Therefore, we have taken notice of this latest act of aggression and formally declared war on the Kingdom of Italy. The Kingdom of Albania is welcomed into the arms of those nations that stand up for themselves, that stand up for those that are to weak to do it for themselves. To the dictators, tyrants and oppressors around the world I say this: 'No more. No more shall the British Empire stand idly by while you trample on the rights and the sovereignty of others, be it nation, island or ordinary man on the street. You burned the cities of the defenceless, in our hearts felt the flames. You laid the dead of Europe at our doors and we knew that their dead were our dead ... We did nothing. No more. Wherever you are, wherever you go, we shall not rest until the free peoples of the world regain what is rightfully theirs. To your people I say: Soldiers! Sailors! Men! Women! Stand up for Freedom and Democracy, stand up for what is right and just. Don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you; who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder! Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men---machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are humans! You have a love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate; the unloved and the unnatural. Do not fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke, it’s written “the kingdom of God is within man”, not one man nor a group of men, but in all men. In you! You, the people, have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy, let us use that power.

Let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie. They do not fulfill their promise. They never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise! Let us fight for Freedom wherever it is threatened, fight for it with and without Arms. To the loyal subjects of the British Empire both here in the United Kingdom and in British territories all over the world I say: We shall not be threatened by those that seek to destroy our Empire and our institutions. There are those amongst us that say that once in a time a democracy must adopt some of the trappings of dictatorship. That is most certainly untrue. We proclaim ourselves as indeed we are: The defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world. But we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. Therefore we must stand vigilant, and never abandon those ideals that we hold dear and never surrender ourselves to those that threaten to destroy us.” While Churchill made this speech, Italian troops landed in Albania, utterly destroying the Albanian Militia in the process. In the deserts of North Africa Italy met with rather less success. The Italians had stripped the rear-area Divisions around Tripoli and Bengasi of all and any motorized transports and had thus formed three ad-hoc motorized Divisions. These formed up in perfect parade formation to charge over open ground at the supposedly unprepared soldiers of the British Western Desert Force. However, the British were anything but. In a failure of Italian intelligence that sparks controversy to this day, the Italians had missed the fact that the Western Desert Force had been disestablished and been replaced by the 8th Army, reinforced by a Corps of Infantry that had been quietly shipped in through ports in the Imperial Dominion of Sudan and Western Egypt over a period of nearly two months in order to disguise their presence. It was incredible that the Italians had not caught on. Totally disguising a troop movement of this size was impossible, but someone in the Italian establishment was convinced that most of these troops were going to India. A error in judgement that would cost the Italians dearly, because as they advanced across the flats, they were suddenly engulfed in a hailstorm of Artillery fire.

Totally unprepared for this sort of opposition, the Italian attack faltered before even getting into Rifle range of the British lines, and was pursued back to their own pursued by jeering from the British trenches and even more Artillery fire. Once more the heavy guns had saved the day, because the Italians had attacked a section of the front that was held by about half of 5th Infantry Division, and it would have been difficult for the British troops that were still relatively raw and freshly conscripted. Back in Italy the news of this costly defeat that would set back the Italian plans for at least several weeks was greeted with rage, and Mussolini promptly sacked most of the African frontline Commanders, including those that commanded the doomed defence of Ethopia. More bad news came in from the Alps where even to skeleton French forces there managed to slow the Italian advance to a crawl. All of this gave the peace faction within the French Army another boost, despite the defiance displayed by the soldiers of the pocket. Reynaud was constantly assaulted by please to make peace, but refused to do so, and began to evacuate key industries to Algeria and Britain, in order to be able to continue the fight if, or rather when Metropolitan France fell. On the 18th two things happened, one, a limited counterpush to regain some strategic territory south of Ghent was carried out by a severely depleted BEF, which was to be the last British Offensive during the Battle of France, and a second British attack was launched in Africa. Using an obscure train station called El Alamein as a jump-off point, General Bucknall, GOC 8th Army attacked in the early dawn hours and overran the Italian border defences with an easy that made General Brook yell in delight as it provided a much needed morale boost for folks back home. The Italian forces in the Cyrenaica crumbled under the sheer weight of Operation Battleaxe, despite having numbers on their side. The decisive push was carried out by the 'new' Western Desert Force, which consisted of a scratch Armoured and Motorized Division, both equipped with castoffs that were no longer in service in Europe or the Far East. But even the early Crusader marques were vastly superior to their Italian counterparts and Lt. General de Burgh is said to have given birth to jokes about the gears of Italian tanks at that time. The Italians fought bravely, but their Fiat M11/39 light tanks were so outclassed by even the older Crusaders in 'Middle East Armoured Division', that some commanders refused to send their men into the meatgrinder after a first encounter with their British counterparts. In the light of this it is hardly surprising that what little Armoured strength the Italians had in theatre at the time was soon destroyed. However, Italian reinforcements streamed into Lybia, in spite of the best efforts of the Mediterranean Fleet under Vice Admiral Sommerville. Admiral Chatfield, Commander Naval Forces Middle East, insisted on the Italian Battleline being the primary target, despite urgings from London. Not that it mattered, because by the 26th the month, the 8th Army was knocking on the gates of Tobruk, the biggest Italian defensive stronghold outside of Tripoli and the biggest harbour in Lybia. If it were to fall, then the British would have broken the main line of resistance and would have much easier going to Tripoli, the coveted prize of the Western Desert campaign.

Both sides knew this and rushed troops into the area. The British called up reinforcements from the pool at Tel Aviv, amongst them the 5th Jewish Volunteer Brigade and the 12th Australian Infantry Regiment, so far the only Commonwealth Force in Africa. These two units would prove to be crucial for the Battle of Tobruk. The British slammed into the defences of Tobruk on the 28th and were bloodily repulsed after the Italians threw wave after wave of Blackshirt volunteers at them in savage counterattacks that blunted the British advance at the inner perimeter. Bucknall knew that he lacked the forces to surround Tobruk and settled for a siege, a decision that would eventually cost him command of 8th Army. Meanwhile in France things were going downhill. The Axis Armies pushed ever closer to Paris, reaching the Marne where it was closest to Paris on 3rd September.

It was on this day when Petain started to plan his movements. However the events on the Battlefield threatened to run ahead of him, as the British were pushed out of the last Allied holdings in Belgium, and, in order to avoid having their flank turned and be encircled, were forced to fall back towards the Channel ports.

Unbenannt-2-1.png

The British position was anchored on Dunkirk in the North, Calais in the centre and a short corridor that connected them to the rest of France in the south. The connection to the French was tenuous at best and in the end severed, but the position itself could be held as long as needed while Vice Admiral Ramsey prepared the evacuation of the BEF from the continent. On 11th September it was time, and with a sad heart, against the protests and please from the French Churchill ordered the BEF to be withdrawn from France and to prepare for deployment to North Africa as soon as the equipment that was lost, thankfully little enough, was replaced. Churchill later called this the most shocking and sad moment of the war, as for him it marked the low point of a long and bloody campaign. It also served to ram home the realities of this war with the British population, in the United Kingdom and all over the Empire. In France the British withdrawal threw things into flux. When Paris was declared an open city on the 16th, Paul Reynaud only governed France in name, as Chaos had taken hold and the French Field Armies were dissolving increasingly fast. The Government fled to Bordeaux, from where Reynaud vowed to continue the war, but this promise seemed increasingly hollow. The British were racing their Army to Egypt at reckless speeds, dashing them through the Mediterranean Sea under the cover of what Naval units they could scrounge together and fighting several inconclusive Battles with the Regia Marina in which no side lost any ships. The Italians, aided by Naval Strike Squadrons from the Luftwaffe and Tactical Bombers from the Red Air Force tried their best to interdict the constant stream of convoys, but inflicted only minor damage, thanks to Air Cover both from Malta and the Fleet Carriers that prowled the Ocean. That way I (UK) Tank Corps was in Egypt in full strength by the end of the month, with more units following at increasing speed.

Morale in Britain was high, despite the military defeats. Churchill, ever the brilliant orator made sure that Britain may have lost a Battle but not the war, something that the French failed to understand, because late on 26th September a confrontation took place that would make for legends.
Marshal Petain was visiting Reynaud in the temporary Capital. The two men knew exactly where the other one stood, or why the ancient hero was there at that day, the conversation that followed was merely for the benefit of the uninformed and in a bid to convince the others of his own standpoint. The entire cabinet was assembled, and while Hitler visited Paris together with Stalin, the great standoff that had been in the making since the fateful meeting between Petain and Weygand. “Monsieur, I bring grave news.” Petain opened, “the French Army has been defeated in the field. I bring a request by our senior Commanders. Monsieur le Premier Ministre, Monsieur le Président, we must ask for an honourable Armistice.” Before Reynaud could answer Lebrun jumped up from his chair. “And lick the boots of the Germans? NEVER!” Petain decided to play his trump card, unaware that the Cabinet had already reached a decision on the matter. “Many of the people and their representatives want peace. Who are we to deny the French people what they want?” Reynaud glanced at Lebrun with a look that made Petain suddenly doubt himself. “And what about the British, Marshal?” Petain hated the British, and it was evident with the vile look that crept onto his face. “Despite all their foul speeches and nice words, they will sue for peace at the earliest opportunity. Is their withdrawal of the Forces they had in our country proof enough? They will gladly sell France to the enemy to save their own skin.” “I take it you are in contact with the Germans?” Petain smelled victory and said in an eager reply: “Indeed I am, and I will..” Reynaud smashed his hand on the table and yelled: “YOU WILL DO NOTHING!” Two hand-picked military policemen entered the Office and took up positions at the Marshals side. “Marshal Petain, I am placing you under arrest, under charges of treason, conspiration with the enemies of France and sabotage of the French War Effort. You are to be stripped of your rank and all honours, effective immediately. Take him away.” Reynaud said dismissively, ignoring the screams of protest from the old man. When they were alone again, he said: “May the almighty have mercy on our souls.”

Early on the next morning a speech was transmitted over the strongest remaining transmitters in France.

"Frenchmen, loyal Frenchmen. For many years we have been at the head of the French armies and your Government. Certain elements, alleging the defeat of our armies, have made contact with the enemy in order to stop the fighting. It is true, we were, we are, overwhelmed by the mechanical, ground and air forces of the enemy. Infinitely more than their number, it is the tanks, the airplanes, the tactics of the Axis Forces which are causing us to retreat. It was the tanks, the airplanes, the tactics of the Germans that surprised our leaders to the point of bringing them to where they are today. But has the last word been said? Must hope disappear? Is defeat final? No! Believe me, I who am speaking to you with full knowledge of the facts, and who tell you that nothing is lost for France. The same means that overcame us can bring us victory one day. For France is not alone! She is not alone! She is not alone! She has a vast Empire behind her. She can align with the British Empire that holds the sea and continues the fight.”

"This war is not limited to the unfortunate territory of our country. This war is not over as a result of the Battle of France. This war is a worldwide war. All the mistakes, all the delays, all the suffering, do not alter the fact that there are, in the world, all the means necessary to crush our enemies one day. Vanquished today by mechanical force, in the future we will be able to overcome by a superior mechanical force. The fate of the world depends on it. The French forces in the field have been ordered to resist as long as humanly possible, and to you, my loyal Frenchmen, I say do not despair, for you have not been forgotten.”

Unbenannt-10.png

There was however no disputing one fact: The Allied Powers had been comprehensively beaten in the field. Something needed to be done. France might fight on, but it would be months until they were capable of actually doing so, and for the moment the British stood alone.

[Notes:

1)I don't think that a war of this size could have been done without conscription.
2)As the naval rank system of the game makes no sense story wise, I will roleplay things differently. Chatfield commands the Med Fleet in the game, but in the story he is merely in strategic command of the Naval forces in the Med. HQ at Alexandria. Sommerville commands the actual Fleet. Similar arrangements for the other Fleets.
3)I had originally planned to stretch the move to Egypt out much more, but I simply want to get France behind me and move on to other things. Updates will slow down, as exams are approaching, and I probably wont update at all while they last, while at the same time I want to get started on the immediate post-France period politiking everywhere.
4)Oh dear. I hope no one minds that I misused de Gaulle's speech...

]

Last edited:
Oh, Reynaud has proved to be a character... Poor Petain, send to prison... I'm broken, really.

:D:D:D:D:D

Great update - Halifax's campaign for a peace would be indeed be predicated as an 'honourable settlement', but with France fighting on he may find the tide turns against him.

Given France's vigour, I guess the Churchillian offer of union between the UK and France won't be necessary.

I think you made a good choice to move things on a bit. not that it was getting boring, it had just become a foregone conclusion in france. may this be the last axis victory!

Kurt_Steiner As am I. Because now I have to find someone new to adminster France for the Jerries. No Vichy France as an independant nation in the game though.

Le Jones Pretty much. Halifax might still go for peace, and be it only to end the bloodshed, wich is normally admirable enough, but sometimes the price is just too high. The Union offer won't be needed, but we might see some smaller form of Lend-Lease, given that TTL Britain is economically in a much better position.

BritishImperial All very true. Over the next few updates I will detail future Axis policy some more.

Hardraade Perhaps. I have the benefit of hindsight of course, but even the small forces I managed to evacuate when I military controlled them for a week or so in the aftermath of the event should do some good.

Griffin.Gen
It's more me speaking no French at all. :D

Now, up next is an overview of the Imperial position and situation all over the world before we go into the slimy depths of Whitehall.

Also ARGH, my Steam Account was highjacked.

That happened to me, contact Steam Support, they will help you (I'm saying that by experience).

Ticket was opened within minutes of me noticing.

I just hope for you that you have a proof of purchase of at least one game, I showed my HL2 box.
Hopefully you didn't throw out that stuff.

I still have for HL2, but since my digital Camera is broken, no means to show it.

sorry, are we talking about someone using your account (ie, your credit card) to buy stuff? thats quite scary.

No, it's "just" my Steam Account with which I play various games online. Not really damaging, more an annoyance.

Griffin, I just scanned it...:eek:o

No, it's "just" my Steam Account with which I play various games online. Not really damaging, more an annoyance.

Griffin, I just scanned it...:eek:o
Good, now they have proof of your purchase, they should change the password and send it to you. Then, you should change the password to something different.
Oh yeah, if you didn't do so already: If you have any similar passwords, change them!

Good, now they have proof of your purchase, they should change the password and send it to you. Then, you should change the password to something different.
Oh yeah, if you didn't do so already: If you have any similar passwords, change them!

I opened that account back before CSS was out, and I haven't used the Password for anything else in years.