• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wow, thats some game. maybe a candidate for your next aar? (though of course it seems like AAO is nowhere near finished, nor would i wish it to be)

i'm thinking president landon was slightly stupid in not accepting Bill's peace offers.

Chapter 129

Niagara_Falls_Horseshoe20Falls1.jpg

4th August 1940

Goat Island, Niagra Falls, UAPR

The Island was technically on the American side of the border, but both sides had accepted it as neutral ground. What was about to take place in the tents and the huts that had hastily been built was nothing less than groundbreaking. The Union of American People's Republics and the Allied powers, here represented by the British Empire and the Dominion of Canada, where about to re-open diplomatic relations beyond occasional talks. Or at least these where the orders that the Foreign Secretary had brought from London. On the Island one could see the flags of the UAPR, the United Kingdom, or rather the British Empire, and the new Canadian Ensign with the golden Maple Leaf flutter in the moderate wind, whilst in the hasty wooden buildings below them the Diplomats sat and talked. The Empire was represented by Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden who had rushed over on the last flying boat from the UK, the Dominion of Canada was represented by William Lyon Mackenzie King, who was there in his dual Secretaries of State for External Affairs and Prime Minister of Canada. At the other end of the ornate wooden table sat Samuel Bartholomew Darcy, People's Secretary for Foreign Affairs, representing the interests of the UAPR. Discussion was heated. The main point the UAPR raised over and over again was the status of the United States Government in Exile, but as stubbornly as the Darcy brought the matter up, as stubborn was the British and Canadian refusal to even acknowledge the issue. King and Churchill had talked about this during the preparations of this conference, and had decided not to give the exiles up. The UAPR needed this treaty more than the Allies, considering how they were still rebuilding their country with a ever more aggressive and vocal Japan in the Pacific. The latter also meant that there were British interests at stake, but the British were, thanks to the ANZACs and the Indian Army in a much better position in regards to Japan and their Chinese lakeys. Then again, the UAPR diplomats were communists, and Eden knew that communists, and while general agreements had been reached, this was the one point where there were still things that needed to be resolved. The PM had been clear. The USGE was not to be given up under any circumstances. Not only would this go against the principles the Empire was fighting for in Europe, but the PM also had been fond of the United States, not only due to his American ancestry.

“Mister Eden,” Darcy opened the next round, “this 'Government' is made up of traitors to the American People, we must insist that they and all their properties!” Eden looked at King and simply replied how he had always replied during the last three days. “Mr. Secretary, we cannot and will not expatriate any who request asylum within the Dominion of Canada, as long as they do not break any laws Canada will not act against them.” For a second Darcy seemed like he was about to say something, but it seemed as if he had all but given up on this, at least that was what Eden was thinking. He was about to be proven wrong. This was understandable though. The Foreign Office had little experience in dealing with the Communists wherever they might be located. The French had been the ones that had represented Entente, or rather Allied interests versus the Soviet Union in the inter-war period while Whitehall, and by extent the entire country, had concentrated on other matters. “Mr. Eden, we cannot accept that. Comrade Browder insists on them being handed over to the UAPR.” He said no more, but the threat hang in the air. Eden looked at King and signalled him to answer that. While the British Empire was not really threatened by the UAPR, the threat for Canada was real. Even if the American People's Army consisted of militias for the most part, enough of them would still sweep aside the Royal Canadian Army before any reinforcements could arrive from Europe. Also, if he as the representative of the Mother Country answered here, the UAPR might actually start to believe the rhetoric that was coming out of their Secretariat for Public Education and see Canada as a mere puppet of London, put in place to placate the natives and Colonists. He had an opportunity here, one to establish Canada as a respected and worthy partner that would be seen as a sovereign nation that it was by the UAPR. This would force the UAPR to take Canadian interests into consideration when formulating policy vis-a-vis the Allies, which would in turn make his own work so much easier, as it would also allow the Canadians to make more direct deals and contacts with the Americans. King just raised his eyebrows to communicate he had understood and said to Darcy: “As my trusted colleague from London has already said, the American Exiles did not break any laws. They did not publicly agitate against Canada, they did not threaten the constitution and institutions of Canada and nor did they break any other laws, so if you don't want us to break them ourselves, I suggest we leave this behind and move on to other matters.”

Darcy fumed. He had clear instructions from Washington to get the Canadians and British to hand over the Exiles, every last one of them, but it seemed that the British had coached their lapdogs on what to say. He also had instructions that this was not to be reached at all costs. If the Canadians refused, then he was to haggle as long as he deemed save without endangering the Treaty. Browder was more than anxious to get the treaty signed, and so, with a heavy heart and a silent angry vow to reach his goal some time in the future, he moved on to the second point. “And what about their legal status as diplomats? The United States of America no longer exist, surely there is no need to maintain relations with a Government that does not have a country to represent?” King smiled thinly. The red on the other side of the table had made a fatal mistake. “True enough, but then again, the war between the UAPR and the USA has been and always will be an internal American matter, and if someone asks for political asylum, we do not ask if their country even exists, just like you do.” Darcy went white when he realized what had happened. King was of course talking about the so-called Government of the People's Republic of Quebec, a committee of the local Communist Party that formed a Government back in 1937, only to be chased out of Quebec not by the Canadian authorities but rather by the 'oppressed masses' that happened to be staunchly catholic and anti-communist. They had fled to the UAPR and had been recognized as the legal Government of Quebec, and still claimed to be as much. Today they were more of a public embarrassment for the American Politburo, who could not let go of them for political reasons and still needed to come to terms with Canada and the British Empire at the same time. As a result of this Washington liked to pretend they did not exist when dealing with their neighbours to the north, but here these very neighbours had brought them up again and had simply outmanoeuvred him. 'Damn those Imperialists' he thought. Just because the UAPR was a young nation, the old reactionary powers dared to push her around like the playthings that were the subjects in their colonies. Still, there would be a time to show them that the UAPR was a great nation, but not today. After two more hours of back and forth, he suggested a break and to continue the talks in the evening. The Allied representatives, after consulting wrist and pocket watches agreed and so the diplomats filed out of the room into the open and fresh air of the island. The barracks where the actual talks were held were arrayed around a small square that had been covered with some sort of fine gravel. In the dead centre of the complex, three flagpoles stood, with the flags of the UAPR, the British Empire and the new Red Ensign of Canada hoisted.

Eden and King stepped out side by side. King glanced upwards to the new flag that still seemed strange to him. Turning around to Eden, who was busy lighting a cigarette, he said: “Do you think it is wise to refuse?” “Professionally? No. In the long term our dealings with the UAPR would probably be easier, and that would mean less stuff to do for the both of us. Personally?” He paused and inhaled the tobacco smoke. “Personally, I say we keep the Yanks under our.. or I shall I say your umbrella for as long as possible, and be it only to get one up on these blasted reds.” King laughed. “Besides, the CSIS would want my head if I were to deprive them of their best source of Agents and information, and to be honest, I quite like Mr. Garner.” Eden looked into the distance before swirling around. “By the way, have you noticed how Darcy also inadvertently solved one of our other problems?” “You mean how he publicly admitted that the US no longer exist, that the UAPR is not just a re-branding of the old show and that they can now no longer complain about us recognizing the USGE? Indeed, I did notice.” More than the actual location of the Exiled President and his entourage the Canadian and British recognition of the same had been a major point of content between the UAPR and the Allies. With this slipup the UAPR had informally given the British and Canadians a free hand in how to deal with the Exiles. Eden nodded towards King and went to the boat that would take him to the Canadian shore to cable the news and current terms to London. The Americans had made communications available, but Eden didn't have to be MI6 to know that these lines were monitored. An hour later the reply from London was in. It was all but one word: “Sign. Churchill.” Eden Grinned and calmly walked back towards the Jetty where the RCN patrol boat was waiting to take him back to the Island. Once there, he strode back towards the hut where Darcy and King where already waiting for him. Pleasantries and diplomatic talk where exchanged before, much to Darcy's surprise, Eden announced that the British Empire was willing to sign the treaty as it stood now, given that 'any and all' agreements reached since the conference had begun where abided by by all signatory nations.

Three hours later the Ministers and assorted worker-bee diplomats were assembled on the square. An APA band was just playing the last bars of the ACP party song that also doubled as the American Anthem. Eden chuckled when the American band was obviously struggling with “God save the King”, but strangely enough, they did not have any troubles with the Candian Anthem. Beside him King was singing with all fervour that could be expected.

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,

And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf, our emblem dear,
The Maple Leaf forever!
God save our Queen, and Heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf forever!

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane,
Our brave fathers, side by side,
For freedom, homes, and loved ones dear,
Firmly stood and nobly died;
And those dear rights which they maintained,
We swear to yield them never!
Our watchword evermore shall be,
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf forever!
The Maple Leaf forever!

Our fair Dominion now extends
From Cape Race to Nootka Sound;
May peace forever be our lot,
And plenteous store abound:
And may those ties of love be ours
Which discord cannot sever,
And flourish green o'er freedom's home
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf forever!
The Maple Leaf forever!

On merry England's far famed land
May kind heaven sweetly smile,
God bless old Scotland evermore
and Ireland's Em'rald Isle!
And swell the song both loud and long
Till rocks and forest quiver!
God save our King and Heaven bless
The Maple Leaf forever!

The Maple Leaf forever!
The Maple Leaf forever!​

[Notes: So there.]

GO Britian and Canada! For the Emperor!
Wait wrong universe..... For the Empire! And for Freedom! And for Tea!
Nice update, that telegram feels like Churchill's style to me.

Some Red diplomat did not his homework in the proper way... :D

Unless the Germans turn there backs on the Soviets, I guess that this means that reds will be fighting reds. :)

I'm quite happy that you made Canada adopt the 1945 design of the Canadian flag! :D
Oh, I'll ignore that I saw an independent Quebec on the last page :mad:

Lord Strange Indeed, that's why I did it. For Tea!

Kurt_Steiner True enough. Note that I roleplayed a lot here, but I think that if you have to start up an entire Foreign Office from nada, your diplomats are bound to make such mistakes in the beginning.

humancalculator I should have made that more clear, it's a non-agression and trade pact, no alliance. See it like between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union in OTL, without the material aid.

Griffin.Gen As much as I like the current Canadian Flag, the 1945 design makes more sense in TTL. That independant Quebec is the result of a German invasion of Canada. What do they know ab... oh wait....:eek:o

:D

humancalculator I should have made that more clear, it's a non-agression and trade pact, no alliance. See it like between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union in OTL, without the material aid.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Kurt_Steiner True enough. Note that I roleplayed a lot here, but I think that if you have to start up an entire Foreign Office from nada, your diplomats are bound to make such mistakes in the beginning.

You cannot expect a bunch of amateurs to outfight one of the most ancient and experimented diplomatic service of the world...:D

Good to see Eden doing and strutting his stuff. :)

humancalculator You're welcome.

Kurt_Steiner They won't stay dumb forever.

Sir Humphrey He is the Foreign Secretary after all.

Our favorite spy duo undercover in enemy territory? This bears watching!

I can understand why the UK would want to sign a non-aggression pact, but I'm still disappointed. I was hoping on Britain assisting in the ousting of the communist government and restoring freedom to the US. Oh well, maybe later.

I can understand why the UK would want to sign a non-aggression pact, but I'm still disappointed. I was hoping on Britain assisting in the ousting of the communist government and restoring freedom to the US. Oh well, maybe later.

i would imagine that it would be very difficult in game terms, and hard to explain in narrative terms, if britain willingly entered into another war with a (fairly) major power whilst still at war with both germany and the soviet union.

Hardraade&BritishImperial That's pretty much it. I simply little troops to spare, certainly not enough to defend Canada with any chance of victory.

Chapter 130

Hamburg_hbf11.jpg

5th August 1940

The overnight train from Rostock to Hamburg was, as was usual in Germany, right on time. Most of the passengers, including one of the two British Agents disguised as Irish diplomats, were asleep. The other one, Ian in this case, had the watch, and was attempting to deduce the grain of truth in the German Newspaper he had bought, because compared to this, even Beaverbrook's post C-notice papers back in Britain seemed to leak secrets every three minutes. According to the newspaper, the British Isles were little more than a burning hulk, most of the Royal Navy had been sunk and the Allied Armies in France were little more than child eating and pillaging barbarians. From what little truth the paper contained, he could deduce that the BEF and the frogs were still giving the Axies a very bad time. When they had left Britain, there had been a lull in the figthing, as both sides geared up for the inevitable second allied attempt to break the encirclement of the pocket that in itself had repulsed several Axis attempts to reduce it any further, using tactics and doctrine from the last war. He soon tired of the newspaper and decided, after a quick glance on his wristwatch, that it was Felix' turn now. He bent over to the other side of the compartment and kicked his friend to the leg. “Charles, wake up.” he said, using their cover identities. Felix jumped up in his seat and looked around, before scowling at Ian. “You could have woken me with a bit more...” “Sensitivity?” Ian said in a tone that did clearly convey that this was not the time for their usual banter. Not that he faulted Felix, but he was not about to take chances. He did however allow himself to grin, and leaned back in his own seat, just as the train was pulling into yet another one of it's many stops. It was a little, nondescript town, about five miles northeast of Hamburg, where the train was expected to arrive at about 1 o'clock tonight. From there, the two would instantly go to the location that had been specified in their orders, where they would be contacted in a certain pre-arranged way by the person they where there to meet. Ian was not too happy about the arrangements, and had a queasy feeling ever since setting foot on German soil, but there was nothing he could do but follow them and hope all went well. With that in mind, he pulled his hat over his eyes and did not awake again until the train pulled into the Wilhelmine metal structure of the Hauprbahnhof Hamburg.

When it stopped at track seven, Ian and Felix collected their sparse luggage from the compartments above their heads and headed out, following the rest of the mass onto the platform. Here security was considerably higher, which was understandable in a way, considering that this was Germany's biggest trading port and a huge chunk of their trade with the Scandinavian countries still came through here, despite the best efforts of the Home Fleet. Also several important Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine bases were near Hamburg, including a certain manor house that he did not know about. This increased security manifested itself in several more of the green clad policemen patrolling not only the train station, but also the streets, that much both saw as they stepped outside. It all combined made Ian fall back on some of the more basic instincts he had had during his German tour with MI6, and he instinctively looked not only for potential shadows, something that he did with the greatest skill, care and rather automatically, but he also looked at the faces of the people going about their business. From what little he could see due to the blackout here, just like everywhere in Germany he supposed, the faces showed a strange mixture of glee and worry. Glee that their armies were more or less on the path to victory, and worry that the pocket might turn the war into another round of trench warfare, something that reportedly even Hitler feared to the death. The streets were also relatively devoid of men, but that was again something to be expected of a country at war. All in all however, from what he saw here, Germany still had ample reserves of manpower to call upon, because not all of these men could possibly be having reserved occupations. Felix was also staring around, but in his case he made it look like it was part of the disguise, which it was in a way. Once again they walked, although only a short distance, this time to a nearby tram station that would take them to the part of the city where they would meet their contact. When they were seated, they were instantly pecked as foreigners, and he doubted that anyone here would be able to discern the Irish accent both sported when they were in public from the King's English and decided to stay quiet. The tram rolled through the city on it's pre-destined path, taking them into the quarter with the famous warehouses, literally called “Speicherstadt” where the spices and other goods from the overseas trade were stored, awaiting transport farther into Germany. The tram stopped there, and several more policemen entered, stating they were looking for deserters and controlled everyone's papers yet again. Once again their papers passed. By the time they reached their destination, the sun was going up on the horizon, and doused the blacked out city in light. A small boy was sitting in the seat opposite to Ian, and was looking out of the window with sleepy eyes, accompanied by his mother that shyly smiled at the two men. Suddently the boy straightened up and yelled: “There mother, can you see? Die Hindenburg, da, da!” Ian looked out, and sure enough, the giant cigar shape of the biggest airship in the world hung in the air. He smiled at himself and continued to survey the streets for nothing in particular.

Felix smiled at the little boy with one eye and went back to sleep for the rest of their journey. Once they reached their station, they climbed out of the latest carriage and walked the short way to their destination. They came up the 'leg' of two roads that crossed with a T intersection. The quarter was one of the business quarters of the city, and the houses along the road reflected it. Most had two or three stories, and were in relatively good shape for the area they were in. Most of the ground floors were filled with some sort of shop which were closed at this time of the day, but some were open. These were either bakeries or pubs, with the latter probably having a rather shady reputation. Their destination was one of the sort that rented out rooms to returning sailors and any female company they might have, but they were both grown men and had seen their share of things that would make pious people curl up in horror, so there was no problem there for them. Reaching the intersection, they turned left, passing a lorry that had it's canvas down. They crossed the street and walked up to the establishments where they were to wait until their contact contacted them. When they asked for a room, Ian spoke flawless German with a slight frankish accent that was closest to the Swiss German he had learned in years gone by, whilst Felix said nothing at all. When asked for identification, both produced another set of Ids, this time less well faked papers that told readers that they were low-level engineers working for Daimler-Benz that were up here to work in one of the dispersal plants that were springing up all over Germany. Then they waited. And waited. And waited.

It was not until about eleven o'clock that the pre-arranged sign was given. Three knocks, answered by two knocks in turn answered by five more in a certain pattern. Ian stood up and walked to the door. When he opened it, outside was not what he expected. Quite the opposite in fact, and he noticed it when a fist slammed into his stomach and threw him back into the room. Five men ran into it and arrested both British Agents on the spot. Out of uniform, in enemy territory and hundreds of miles away from help, their fate was all but sealed. But instead of being shot, they were knocked over the head, bound and had their unconscious bodies tossed into the lorry they had passed on their way there, to be carried off to god knew where. The men that had arrested them so quickly and with German efficiency, were part of the RSHA or Reichssicherheitshauptampt, which was in turn part of the Gestapo. Although their mission order had come at the behest of their hated rival, the Abwehr, they had been tasked with it. Heydrich, head of the RSHA and second man in the SS after Reichsführer Himmler, was trying to encroach on the competences and duties of the Abwehr ever since he had created his post, but so far Canaris and Oster had managed to deflect all these attempts. The fact that Ian and Felix were now in the hands of the Gestapo was part of another such power struggle, and it seemed as if they would become the latest in a long series of faceless, nameless victims. One thing however was working to their advantage. They had been searched, but what would later become Q-Branch in a certain series of novels and films, had issued them two rather special toys. Both of them were wearing heavy shoes, and when they had been searched, no one had thought of looking for a small compartment in their shoes, and had not thought of the fact that Ian had always had a reputation of having a thick skull. He was the first to wake up, and instantly was checking how he was tied up, whilst not making too much noise. He thanked his lucky stars that his hands had been tied to his ankles in order to make him and Felix fit into the narrow bed of the lorry. He looked around out of the corners of his eyes and noticed that they were alone in the back, with the driver and probably...no, most likely a guard in the cabin and at least one car following them to cover all eventualities. He felt for his shoes and found the heel, twisting it in a certain way. Out came a small knife, no longer than two inches. He held it between his palm and foot and started to saw away at the ropes that tied his hands together.

Just as he was halfway through the first rope, Felix began to move again. He did not have to ask how his old friend felt, and Felix had enough sense left not to talk out loud, so he rested his head back against the canvas of the lorry and tried to gather his thoughts and catalogue his body, checking for any missing parts. By the time Ian had freed his hands, Felix was fully awake and awaiting Ian to set him free, clearly not bothering with taking the risk of alerting their captors that they were about to be rudely surprised. Soon, they were both free, and Ian started to go through the contents of the flatbed. Nothing much turned up besides several tools that were too light to be used as a weapon, some more of the rope that had been used to tie them and...a compass? “So, what do we do now?” Felix whispered. Ian did not answer. He signalled Felix to try and find out how many cars followed them, whilst he inspected the rear wall of the cabin. He grinned when he saw that it was made out of cheap-feeling wood, and that the screws holding it in place were rusty and looked like they could be removed easily. The engine roared and coughed loudly, and he was confident that if he was careful, the men in front would not hear him working. But before he could do anything, Felix crawled back to him and whispered: “Five goons in a black merc and we have left the city. I saw a sign, said Flensburg, it seems we are going into that direction.” Ian nodded and continued to silently and carefully work on the screws, which was easier said than done, because his head felt like the lorry had run over it. Soon he had two screws loose with two more remaining, but the lorry stopped before he could move any more. The man prepared to be found out any second, but nothing happened, and when Ian peeked trough a hole in the rear canvas, he saw that they were standing in a barn of some kind, and were guarded by a man who was dressed in a dark leather coat, wearing both a matching head and the matching MP40. Ian decided to take his chances while he still could. The man was standing to the left side of the rear part of the lorry, and Ian silently and slowly moved his body behind him. With one fast and agile movement, he rammed his small knife into the mans throat and held his mouth shut. With a circular motion, he cut the man's throat as deep as the knife would go. Blood sprayed from the wound as the german fell to the ground like a puppet whose strings had been cut. Ian grabbed the MP40 before it could fall to the ground and make a noise.

Signalling Felix to follow him, he jumped down, covering the door of the barn. Felix searched the body and produced a luger, which he used to arm himself. “So, what do we do now?” he asked again. Ian ducked and walked to a nearby window. Outside he could see the black car standing near a farmhouse and a road about a mile in the distance. There was a guard in front of the car, so there was no chance of stealing it. Meanwhile Felix had discovered a door at the back of the barn, and so it was decided to evacuate the premises through there. Ian and Felix left through the door, just as two more Gestapo agents came out of the door of the farmhouse, and by the moment the alarm was raised, the two had only covered a few dozen yards. Giving up on even trying not to be seen, they rose and ran, even as the bullets tarted to fly past them. Up in the distance was a small stonewall, and they managed to reach it, jumped over it and returned fire. Ian fired a quick burst before he noticed that Felix did not fire his luger. He looked over and was horrified to see his friend bleeding from a wound where a parabellum bullet had struck home, and another hole in his left leg.. Ian moved to help his friend, but Felix just said: “Go, I will cover you!” through clenched teeth. Ian shot another two bursts over the edge of the wall, before saying to Felix that he would not leave him behind. “No, Ian. I would just hold you up. Someone has to tell London what has happened.” Fighting against the knot in his stomach and the lump in his throat, Ian realized the Felix was right. He took the pistol and left Felix the MP40 along with a spare magazine. The last he heard was a “Take care of my sister.”

Felix wasted no time watching Ian's retreating back. Determined not to be taken alive, he intended to save the last bullet for himself. He struggled into a semi upright position and fired and fired and fired until the magazine was empty. He tried to re-load. But his arm failed him, and with a sigh, he fell back to the ground. He saw men surrounding him, and then the last thing he saw was the barrel of a gun. A day later the British contact on the other side of the Danish border saw a ragged, bleeding and tired figure walking through his door that was seething with rage and incredibly sad. The figure was then moved to London, where Ian both briefed M and a grieving Leiter family.

[Notes: * hides * As much as I liked Felix, it would have been unrealistic to keep all characters alive until the end. He will be avenged. *goes into hiding in a top secret bunker with provisions for ten years*]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! FELIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Revenge must be taken, Bosch must me bashed, Ian must single-handedly take down the entire German Reich.... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Good Bye Felix, we will always miss you. :(

you evil bastard. still, he died a hero's death and his name will live on always. and it would have been stupid, if nice, if all the main characters somehow came through their adventures unscathed.

*Sniff* He will be missed.

Revenge must be taken, Bosch must me bashed, Ian must single-handedly take down the entire German Reich....

*Raises glass* Hear Hear!