• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
gaiasabre11 I thought about something like this, but it would have been over the top, and against the game too, as I don't have Spits operating over the continent. One or two more updates and we will return to the war.

Lord Strange Indeed on both counts. :D

gaiasabre11 I thought about something like this, but it would have been over the top, and against the game too, as I don't have Spits operating over the continent. One or two more updates and we will return to the war.

Well, then I am expecting to see some Dewoitine D.520s along side the Spit. ;) Although I do admit their numbres are very limited.

Would Hawker Typhoons suffice? (LvL IV Interceptors)

Would Hawker Typhoons suffice? (LvL IV Interceptors)

If I get to choose I'll actually choose to have a Mirage. ;) (LvL MM Interceptor :D)

If I get to choose I'll actually choose to have a Mirage. ;) (LvL MM Interceptor :D)

1940 vintage only. IIRC the French are at about the sam tech level as I am.

Raaritsgozilla I am a firm Spitfire man.

Also, update coming in today!

Chapter 109

berghof1.jpg

16th May 1940

The Berghof, Southern Bavaria

The Berghof was the Führer's mountain retreat. Here he held state for his inner circle, here he entertained especially important industrialists or foreign guests. The man sitting opposite Hitler at the long table made from the best German Oak was no exception, in fact he was so important that he literally had brought a battalion of security with him. Josef Stalin was indeed important enough to warrant security of this type. Although the relationship between the two despots had gone from outright hostility to something that could be described as cold tolerance of the other while it suited their needs. For the moment and until the Allies were defeated, it did, hence the irregularly arranged summits in either the Soviet Union or Germany. This was the third such summit, allowing both of them to exert more control over the Armies attacking the low countries. However they had been discussing grave news from the Netherlands. “So your intelligence was accurate.” Stalin said and wished for the umpteenth time that Hitler was no anti-smoker. Hitler nodded and wished Stalin was not a smoker. “Indeed. Our British Source has proven fruitful if somewhat short notice on this matter. It is unfortunate though that we failed to capture or kill the Queen. Extracting her from England might be much more difficult, given our relative lack of assets on that blasted Island.” Stalin nodded and said something the translator did not reproduce in German and that was too low for Hitler's translator to be heard. “The second attack would have succeeded had it not been for the unfortunate intervention by these British Fighters.” Stalin said. Only hours ago the BBC had loudly hailed the daring escape of the Queen, detailing the attack on the plane, and the failure of the fighters to return quickly told the authorities what had happened. “And Case Red?” Stalin asked. “The plan is set. Before you arrived the Staff assured me that the Dutch will collapse within a few days.” “And the British? What about them?” Hitler cleared his throat and said: “We have good information from the same source, and from others in France. It seems as if the British have deployed seven to ten Divisions or so through Le Havre and Dunkerque, with about another ten or so following.” Stalin was not convinced that he was being told everything, but while the Germans had at least that one source in the United Kingdom that they told the Soviets about, the Soviet Union had none at all, since Philby and the rest of his group had been arrested.

“So Adolf, the British will deploy twenty-ish Divisions to France, against what, almost two-hundred of ours?” “Yes. Case Red will destroy most of them, even when they join the Belgians before we attack.” Over the next hours the two dictators went over the planning for Case Red again, talking about it all over and over again. Stalin soon retreated to the chambers he had been allocated, but Hitler stayed behind. From a hidden door Admiral Canaris emerged. “Mein Führer, do you think it is wise to give so much about Englandspiel to the Soviets?” “Our own assets to act on the information provided by Englandspiel are limited until we have defeated France, and besides, this way we can control the amount of the information we get from it that is forwarded to the Russians. Better this way than having them use their own assets.” Hitler said dismissively. He reached to the table and took a long sip from the glass of juice. “Besides, this way we also prevent them from finding out just how the information reaches us from England until such time we want them to know.” Canaris did not reply at once, as he was not of the same opinion. “You are of course right, mein Führer. As soon as the Battle of France is over, Englandspiel will be of even greater value, given the limited access we have to information from other sources.” “And knowing what the Engländer are up to will help us planning our next moves. We still have a few axes to grind in Europe before we can shift east.” Canaris asked then with a slightly surprised voice: “So Operation Marita is approved then?” “Yes. Even without the Italians this will give us access to the Mediterranean Sea, and will make it easier to keep the British busy in the area. Admiral, instruct our people on the Balkans to prepare.” “Yes, mein Führer.”

Somewhere in southern Belgium.

Stafford Battlegroup had been pulled out of the line two days ago, in urgent need for rest, refit and reinforcements. The group had been down to about 70% nominal strength, and that was counting the wounded, walking and otherwise. But luckily General Hobart had not only brought the rest of the 7th Armoured Division with him, but also reinforcements and so the group, integrated back into it's respective units, was again on full strength. The 7th was currently marching north, back into Belgium, in order to take up positions along the Dyle line, where the 1st and 2nd Armoured Divisions already were in the line. The 7th would be followed by the 6th Armoured Division. This last group would also include the Infantry component of I (UK) Armoured Corps, namely 1st and 2nd Indian Divisions, which were the first fully motorized Infantry Divisions raised in the United Kingdom. Niemczyk was once again riding 'Battleaxe' north, cursing whoever had instisted that the group frits move south to join up with the Divisions. Three air attacks, two lost vehicles and three dead later, they had joined up with the Division, only to hear that it would be at least another day before all of the equipment was unloaded. This meant that they would have a day off, and Niemczyk had to catch up on missed sleep, after he had gone to the beach for a few minutes to have a look at the freighters coming into the small port of Dunkerque. Although in the port itself only Infantry was unloaded, there was a virtual stream of freighters coming and going, all part of Operation Dynamo, or the transfer of the BEF to France. Six Infantry Divisions were already in the line, relieving a huge chunk of the Belgian Army which was now forming a mobile reserve that the Belgians would use would a breakthrough occur. The command structure in Belgium was somewhat weird. The Belgians, and to an extent the Dutch, had readily agreed to put their Armies under the temporary command of the Imperial General Staff, and by extension the BEF staff setting up in Brussels. The French on the other hand had steadfastly refused to even discuss the situation of the French units in Belgium and had even demanded that all foreign troops on French soil were to be placed under the direct control of the French Army. Churchill had telephoned the French President, but to no avail. In the end he had said that there was nothing as terrible as fighting a war with allies except to fight one without them, and that if the French did not complain about anything the British did or wanted then he would be really worried. Unknown to him this was to have serious consequences later on in the war.

In the end it had been agreed to at least co-ordinate on a tactical level, if not strategy. It was far from a perfect system, but there was no time to talk it all out. The 7th Armoured Division was nearing the front that had been eerily quite for the last few days, which told the now somewhat experienced troops of the 2nd Royal Hussars that something was up. Luckily they were moving at night, so at least they were relatively save from the roving ground attack planes that were fast getting a fearsome reputation among the allied troops. Stafford and Niemczyk had had a long talk with Hobart upon setting off, discussing tactics, equipment and most of all the not-so-loyal opposition. As it turned out, the Crusader Mk.IIIc was, whilst generally superior to most tanks, a far from perfect machine. But alas, there was nothing they could do, so it was decided to get sleep. They all had the feeling that they were going to need it. Niemczyk climbed back down and closed the hatch. As the commander, it was his prerogative to delegate work to his subordinates, and by god he would do so. He needed more sleep.

[Note: I can imagine that Hitler almost puked when he had to say Comrade Stalin for the first time. :D Also, I decided to skip over the part of the translator. IIRC neither Hitler nor Stalin spoke the others language, but I am too lazy to repeat everything they say for the translation. So imagine it is translated in between.]

I miss the old good Matilda in the Arras fields... :D

Actually, the Mathildas are in France, as I have them attached to my Armoured Divisions. I will feature them later on.

Hmmm Operation Marita sounds very interesting, I'm looking forward to some hot Balkan action. :D

El Pip Indeed. How much can be done while there is still fighting in France is another matter.

all I don't feel too well today, so no update. But, the next one is in the works, and I shall resume work on it as soon as I feel better.

its quite fitting, having a summit on a summit.

stalin and hitler meeting together, what a clash of collective evil plans and egos. god knows what terrible schemes they are dreaming up.

its quite fitting, having a summit on a summit.

stalin and hitler meeting together, what a clash of collective evil plans and egos. god knows what terrible schemes they are dreaming up.

More on that later on. For now they need each other to accomplish what common goals they have.

The 24h bug is gone and work on the next update shall resume shortly.

Another delay I am afraid. I got my hands on the Sharpe series in E-Book form. :(

Another delay I am afraid. I got my hands on the Sharpe series in E-Book form. :(

Ah, completely different from the books but still good fun! "Chosen men!"

Ah, completely different from the books but still good fun! "Chosen men!"

I was talking about the books. A mate has an incredible stsah of e books, the sharpe series included, along with the james bond novels.