• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well then Alsace gets to keep the Exocets to herself. :p I'm even thinking of what it will be like if Alsace gets some BrahMos II onboard. Brahmos

I can't comment on that, due to Spoilers.

I can't comment on that, due to Spoilers.

Fair enough, but let me make one last comment on your Lion.

Despite the fact I gave you tons of suggestions for improvements on your Lion, my design for Alsace is still Suuuuupperior to your design for your Lion. I still haven't put my design on to the drawing board yet due to university life consuming all available time I have now, but if you do want to check out my design for the Alsace class PM me, and I'll send you a copy once it's done properly. ;)

Fair enough, but let me make one last comment on your Lion.

Despite the fact I gave you tons of suggestions for improvements on your Lion, my design for Alsace is still Suuuuupperior to your design for your Lion. I still haven't made my design yet due to university life consuming all available time I have now, but if you do want to check out my design for the Alsace class PM me, and I'll send you a copy once it's done properly. ;)

Indeed I do. Whilst yours may be superiour, I made the Lion as it is to counter the American BBs, which are a mix between the South Dakota and Iowa Classes. ( That way, Lion is the largest Battleship afloat. :p ) Also bear in mind that your ships have a different threat potential than mine. I am not as much in need of Range for one, as wherever they could be used, a RN base isnt far, same goes for speed.

Last edited:
Indeed I do. Whilst yours may be superiour, I made the Lion as it is to counter the American BBs, which are a mix between the South Carolina and Iowa Classes. ( That way, Lion is the largest Battleship afloat. :p )

I assume you mean South "Dakota", the two do easily mix up with each other. :p

Something to say before hand. My Alsace is also going to be larger than the Iowas (at around 50,000 tons standard). Smaller than the Montana class but having roughly the same firepower in terms of Broadside weight. :p

Something to say before hand. My Alsace is also going to be larger than the Iowas (at round 50,000 tons standard). Smaller than the Montana but having roughly the same firepower in terms of Broadside weight. :p

See, different threat potential, hence different size. Different legacy too, because size is a compensation for lack of...erm... Nelson? :D

See, different threat potential, hence different size. Different legacy too, because size is a compensation for lack of...erm... Nelson? :D

I say lack of Exocets on board. :p Anyways if you want a French BB comparable to your Lion in size I can bring in the Richelieu.

Last edited:

Something to say before hand. My Alsace is also going to be larger than the Iowas (at around 50,000 tons standard). Smaller than the Montana class but having roughly the same firepower in terms of Broadside weight. :p

Having lived in South CAROLINA, I will point out the obvious that the two states are nothing alike sir.

As to the South Dakotas, I presume that we are talking about the canceled BB-49 class and not the later, smaller BB-57s?

Having lived in South CAROLINA, I will point out the obvious that the two states are nothing alike sir.

As to the South Dakotas, I presume that we are talking about the canceled BB-49 class and not the later, smaller BB-57s?

I only meant that the names of the two BB class get mixed up easily. :p

I'm actually talking about the BB-57s South Dakota Class (1939) which preceded the Iowa class BBs. ;)

I'm actually talking about the BB-57s South Dakota Class (1939) which preceded the Iowa class BBs. ;)

As was I. I see I really have to do that America Storyline I was thinking about.

Too bad... Something very righteous about a battleship with 12x16" guns. :D

Too bad... Something very righteous about a battleship with 12x16" guns. :D

Hehe. Well, 16" is the upper limit for BB guns in TTL, as the KGVs will be the last pre-Lion BBs, ( as you should all know. Read the Intermission #1 damn you! :mad: :p ) and the Yamato, if she will be built, will be seen as an utterly bonkers waste of good steel. Yes I know that the OTL Dakotas had 16", and she will have them in TTL, along with the Union Class, which is the class I am referring to. However, whilst the calibre might be smaller, the British guns are more powerful due to better metallurgics, fire control and propellant technology.

Also: I really start to write this stuff down. I seriously need to do an Intermission on the American Armed Forces.

Last edited:
Hehe. Well, 16" is the upper limit for BB guns in TTL, as the KGVs will be the last pre-Lion BBs, ( as you should all know. Read the Intermission #1 damn you! :mad: :p ) and the Yamato, if she will be built, will be seen as an utterly bonkers waste of good steel. Yes I know that the OTL Dakotas had 16", and she will have them in TTL, along with the Union Class, which is the class I am referring to. However, whilst the calibre might be smaller, the British guns are more powerful due to better metallurgics, fire control and propellant technology.

Also: I really start to write this stuff down. I seriously need to do an Intermission on the American Armed Forces.

Yes, you do need to start make notes or all those stuff you want to write may overwhelm you. ;)

So according to you saying that British gunery are superior to their American counterpart, does it mean that the British guns are more powerful or the Yanks have less powerful guns than in real life? Perhaps even a combination of both factors?

Anyways, my guns for the Alsace will be on par with the Iowas' guns if not more powerful. Plus the Alsace is going to have 12 main guns.

Ah, the Exocet, the only time a Latin American nation successfully flipped off a European power...if only for a month or two. :D

The Falklands would certainly be interesting with a few of those!

On the "wot, not lifeboat" comments, the RN don't use 'em. RN 'Sea Survival', currently taught in Portsmouth, is based around 'once only survival suits' and easily erectable liferafts. If you look at the photos of Coventry in the Falklands they all abandoned ship into them. So Trelkaddict is right not to have lifeboat davits messing up his lovely upperdeck!

I'd be wary of the Merlin. On paper a good aircraft but she is proving a fussy airframe to maintain. Unfortunately in this instance I'd buy something else or stick with the Lynx until a better alternative comes along.

A BB world post HMS Vanguard (if she needs to exist at all) is fascinating - to quote Andrew Mar "to be British was to thrill at the sight of a White Ensign".

gaiasabre11 re notes: Indeed I do. re gunnery: I combination of both I think.

ColossusCrusher Indeed. :D

Le Jones I didn't know about the live boats. :eek:

As in the intermission, Vanguard is designed but not built on the grounds of a) being ugly ( :D ) and b) not needed as the Carrier Force is more important.

As for the Merlin, I just stuck a random chopper from the bits and part list on the back. Didn't really bother to research it.

gaiasabre11 re notes: Indeed I do. re gunnery: I combination of both I think.

Whoa! 5000 posts for you, trek. :D

Anyways I'm thinking of how do I prove that Alsace has better gunnery than your Lion. ;) Perhaps because Alsace fires Shells of Supreme (French) Awesomeness?

Whoa! 5000 posts for you, trek. :D

Anyways I'm thinking of how do I prove that Alsace has better gunnery than your Lion. ;) Perhaps because Alsace fires Shells of Supreme (French) Awesomeness?

I dunno about the armour piercing abilities of smelly cheese..... :D

I dunno about the armour piercing abilities of smelly cheese..... :D

The cheese is reserved for HE shells. A HE French Cheese shell can fill the enemy vessel with an atmosphere of French Awesomeness and cause the crew to lose the willingness to fight on. :p A little more wine also adds to the effect.

The cheese is reserved for HE shells. A HE French Cheese shell can fill the enemy vessel with an atmosphere of French Awesomeness and cause the crew to lose the willingness to fight on.
Ahh so that's why France had the reputation for losing the will to fight so early, the soldiers have cheese during their nine hour lunch breaks!