• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A note ahead: I suck at writing speeches, I hop no one mids that I am borrowing the work of others for this. Also please forgive me any errors in the parliamentary procedures I surely made.

Chapter 16

October 4, 1938

The House of Commons, London

The Speaker of the House called the Members of Parliament to order. “The honourable Neville Chamberlain has the floor.” Chamberlain took up position in front of the other MP's and started to speak in a unusually sure and thick voice. “The last weeks have seen dangerous developments on the continent. You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win peace may fail. Yet I cannot believe that there is anything more, or anything different, that I could have done, and that would have been more successful. Up to the very last it will be the will of this administration to arrange a peaceful and honourable settlement between Germany and her neighbours. But certain political figures here at home in the United Kingdom will not have it; they have evidently made up their minds to lead Britain onto a course to a new War whatever happens. And although they say now that they want peace as much as I and my ministers do this not a true statement. The other factions not only here in the house but also in my own Party seek to push Britain into a war for which she is not ready and that no one wants. At this point Chamberlain was interrupted by a score of “Hear Hears” from all around the chamber, not only backbenchers from the Conservative Party but also many from the opposition were obviously not exactly of the same opinion. Chamberlain did not deviate from his speech, refusing to let this behaviour destroy his plan and confidence.

He concluded: “How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel which has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war.” The members of the house conversed in hush voices. They had expected a pacifist and yet defiant speech like this, but had not expected Chamberlain to belittle the European troubles like this, and with this Chamberlain had already lost even more votes. While many of the Members were against involvement in a new war most were gravely concerned about what went on in Europe in these troubled times. When the Speaker called them to order everyone hotly awaited the next one to take the floor. It was widely expected that Winston Churchill would be the next one to speak but before the speaker could talk David Lloyd George interrupted. Unknowing that this would be his last public appearance Britains Prime Minister during the great War said: “It is not a question of who is for war or not. It is a far bigger issue. Europe has appealed for our help. The nation is prepared for every help ans sacrifices it can give so long as it has leadership. I say solemnly that the Prime Minister should give an example of sacrifice because there is nothing which can contribute more to a honourable solution of this affair than that he should sacrifice the seals of office.” This time Chamberlain was stunned. He had expected resistance and trouble from the hawkish Members, but the thought that someone other than Churchill might openly call for his resignation had never even crossed his mind.

The next man on the floor was indeed Churchill. He too had only prepared a short speech, as he like Chamberlain wanted to get the entire debate over with as soon as possible.
“Never believe any war will be smooth and easy or that anyone who embarks on that strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events incompetent or arrogant commanders, untrustworthy allies, hostile neutrals, malignant fortune, ugly surprise, awful miscalculations. Always remember, however sure you are that you could easily win, that there would not be a war if the other man did not think he also had a chance. It is therefore obvious that I do not desire war. Quite the contrary. I would gladly give my office and my life if this sacrifice would make sure that war never again touched our shores. War is evil, war is the foulest of all Human sins. I do however believe that if one wants peace one must be prepared for War. I do believe that a nation like ours which holds its principles and policies so high like we do must from time to time take a stand against tyranny and oppression in order to show itself worthy of these ideals.*Many years ago Britain fought the Great War alongside our gallant French allies to uphold these principles and now many of us are prepared to forget these just because there is a remote chance that war will once more break out. I fear that our current leadership is amongst these. I ask the members of Parliament to decide what to do to rectify this situation.”

Churchill took his seat again and was prepared to give the word to Attlee, the leader of the opposition when Leo Amery, a prominent Conservative backbencher interrupted the process once again. He turned to the Government bench and said: “We all know what needs to be done about it. Prime Minister: You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!” When the speaker of the House called Attlee the called upon simply stated that the opposition felt that the Prime Minister no longer had the confidence of the house and that the Labour Opposition wished to call for a vote of censure on the Government. Chamberlain was caught off-guard. He had not expected for this to take place before the second day of the debate and now it was here already. A vote was called and when the results were announced the house was vibrant. Chamberlain no longer had the majority necessary to form an Administration.

Later that day the King sent for a new Prime Minister. Even later that day a signal was sent by the Board of the Admiralty to all ships and stations. It contained only three words: “Winston is back.”

[Game effects: Neville is out, Winston is in. Now Britain can start arming herself for the inevitable storm. The end is a bit forced but it was 2:48 AM when I wrote this.]

Last edited:
seems about right to me, from the little i've seen of parliament on TV. though its a bit more abusive these days :D lets hope Winnie can bring Britain up to scratch in time.

A good update, I didn't mind the drawing together of all the famous speeches of the time (Norway debate, Chuchills biography and Poland probably). Seemed appropriate to me. :)

BritishImperial I believe he will.

El Pip Yup, I was scavenging these speeches. All hail Wikiquotes!

And notice that Winston took the liberty of using a modified quote of a certain upstart colonial. Cudos for whoever spots it.

Enewald said:
nooo, chamberlain has lost!

The same useless war coming once again...

I beg your pardon? *waves german constitution*

This war is far from useless. It was the definitive Battle between good ( me ) and evil (them). :D

I known it is still some time before I have the 3000 posts I need, but then I want this to be my custom avatar. It sums me up perfectly.

thats pretty nice. i didnt know you had to get to 3000. how does one get a custom rank - i've noticed people with about 300 posts having a custom one.

BritishImperial said:
thats pretty nice. i didnt know you had to get to 3000. how does one get a custom rank - i've noticed people with about 300 posts having a custom one.

Dunno. I'd like to know that myself.

trekaddict said:
I known it is still some time before I have the 3000 posts I need, but then I want this to be my custom avatar. It sums me up perfectly.

I don't suppose you can make a half Chinese, half German one of those for me, can you? :D

You get a custom avatar after 550 days of memberhood or after spamming 3000 posts before that time is over. :p

Like me. :D

I need to think of a custom avatar, I am too lazy to invent one. :wacko:

Faeelin said:
I don't suppose you can make a half Chinese, half German one of those for me, can you? :D

It has been PM'ed to you.

trekaddict said:

That is a spiffing flag.

danielshannon said:
Finally Britain has the leadership it needs in these troubled times.
So when are you going to have it out with the forces of the nazicomms?

I can't tell, sorry. What I can say however that the next updates will set the stage, and then there is a sort of a bump. I am not sure yoet how to tackle that one, but rest assured War is drawing closer.

@all: If you have the time visit The Great Crusade - a scenario for MOD NN. The link can be found in my signature.

Chapter 17

October 4, 1938, after the audience with the King

The Prime Ministers Office

The ex-Prime Minister stood in his former Office and faced the new Prime Minister. Much to his own amazement Chamberlain felt no contempt towards Churchill, but could not help to wonder what perils this man would unleash upon Britain. Chamberlain shook his head. This was no longer his to wonder about, and rather the duty of Churchill. Speaking of which...
“Say, Mr. Churchill, what are do you intend to do now that you have successfully bumped me down the ladder?” Churchill did show if he even registered this understated insult and rather chose to answer the question. “That I can tell you. Trying to prevent a war, and if it cannot be avoided fight it out to victory.” “How do you expect to do that? An Armaments Race until the Germans are broke? That would never work, not now, not in fifty-one years.” Churchill laughed and said: “Not at all, Neville. I believe that Britain must act from a position of strength. If Hitler is to be stopped then he must fear what we will do to him in case he does not as we wish, and that cannot be done with three Infantry Divisions and a few old Battleships from the last war.” Chamberlain could see the almost said look on Churchill's face after these last few words. The neglect the Navy had suffered in the years since 1919 was heavy on the heart of the former first Lord of the Admiralty, and Chamberlain strongly suspected that this was the first thing that would change under the new Administration. He knew that Churchill had met with high-ranking Officers, most prominently Admiral Cunningham of Force A fame, and would probably triple the efforts to get the new Illustrious Carriers and the Battle-Class Destroyers into production. It amazed Chamberlain that a man could leave the Gun-School this fast, but again it was not his to argue. If this was indeed Churchill's intended policy, which it actually was unbeknownst to Chamberlain, then it would face serious opposition from conservative Admirals, among them the First Sea Lord, Roger Backhouse who was also CinC of Home Fleet.

Both men continued to exchange pleasantries for a few more minutes before Chamberlain left the office, never to return. Churchill had offered Chamberlain his old post as Chancellor of the Exchequer which he had held twice before, but Chamberlain had denied. He wanted to spent his last years in 'blissful ignorance' and enjoy his fishing.* When he was gone Churchill sat down in the Chair for the first time, somehow feeling that he would spent many hours in it for many years, as if walking with destiny. He was conflicted. On one hand he wanted to get to work immediately, on the other hand he wanted to enjoy the moment. The decision was made for him when his secretary entered the room after silently knocking. She worked for him for several years now and could freely enter his office after announcing her intention unless ordered otherwise, and made again use of this. “Prime Minister, this has just been sent via runner from the Admiralty.” She handed him a folded message form. Churchill opened it and immediately his usual boyish grin sprang to his face. He wordlessly handed the form back to his secretary and after she had read the words “Winston is back.” simply yelled enthusiastically: “He bloody well is!” He laughed heartily.

Getting serious again he said: “Sophie, be a dear and phone both Mr. Eden and Mr. Morrison that I wish to see them as soon as possible. And tell the rest of the shadows that the first cabinet meeting will be tomorrow right after Tea Time.” “Yes, Sir.”

While he waited for his two ministers Churchill's mind went back to the days of the Great War when he had been First Lord of the Admiralty until he had ordered the disastrous Gallipoli attack. Many had accused him of being a dangerous gambler, and this had cost him post and pay. Churchill had spent most of the last night pondering this and was now determined not to let small minded military Officers stop him again. Gallipoli would have been successful had it been properly executed and pressed home. He was convinced that war was inevitable, and this time History would be kind to him as he intended to write it. Churchill spent the next hour with drafting the speech he would hold tomorrow over the BBC as he addressed the Nation as their new Prime Minister and when Eden and Morrisson arrived he was almost satisfied with what he had done. It needed to be polished, but in the end it would be if not his best then a very good one. He was interrupted by a knock on the door and the voice of his secretary: “Sir, Mr. Eden and Mr. Morrisson are here.” “Show them in then.”

Churchill rose from his chair and stood to greet his Foreign and Home Secretaries as they entered the Prime Ministers office. When they were seated Churchill sat back down again and opened the conversation. “Gentlemen, I think you both know why I have called you here today. We face two major problems that we need to take on if we want security in the future. Both of these touch the Foreign and the Home Office, and that is why you are both here. First the more immediate one. The Alliance between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia.” The reaction of the men in the office could not have been more different. While Eden reached for his papers with a look of contempt on his face that was cleary directed against whoever ahad thought that idea up, while Morrisson saw the whole thing with a mixture of surprise and disbelief. “What does the Foreign Office have on it?” “Well, Sir,” Eden said “I haven't had time to actually go through the files, as I ahevn't even moved into my office yet, but I asked my people to get me the files on 'Red Storm'.” After a few perplexed looks he explained. “That is the name some chap in the archive gave the whole thing. Apparently it just stuck.” Churchill grew impatient. “Yes, Yes, continue!” “All we have is mainly diplomatic intelligence gathered by Station R, and I might add that I have skimmed over it on the way over here, and I think that , given the information the SIS has given us is correct that they will sign a preliminary friendship treaty in a few weeks at most. I haven't jet spoken ” Churchill nodded and remembered the German press announcement of a few days ago, stating that Stalin was to make a State visit in Berlin to discuss matters of 'mutual importance'. That really smelled like they would be signing some sort of treaty, but there simply were too many obstacles to formalize an alliance any time soon. “Sir, I would like to have more time to coordinate what we have with what SIS has attained recently. I would talk to Sir Sinclar over at Century House and he would brief you tomorrow.” Churchill nodded his approval. All he had intended to do today was to give Eden his marching orders. Eden was a professional, and if he said he needed more information then it would most likely be true.

The Prime Minister then turned to address Morrisson who had been quiet for the whole length of the exchange. “Now why you are here is more of a long-term issue. Firstly, I have decided that the Colonial Office will be folded into the Home Office.” he raised his hand to stop Morrisson from speaking up. “However, I know that usually this should be done with the Foreign Office and all, but hear me out.” Churchill lit a cigar and took a few deep puffs before continuing, a sure sign that what he was about to say was difficult for him to disclose, and even more so for him who had been head of the Colonial Office for several years. “Let us not talk in circles here. Simply put the British Empire is becoming too expensive to run as it is now. Our resources are stretched thinly across the globe and the military can no longer guarantee the security of our possessions. If we are dragged into another World War then we might just loose it all.” Morrisson was still wondering what this had to do with the Home Office, but he realized how hard it had to be on an old Imperialist like Churchill to admit that his beloved Empire was hanging in the ropes and might yet break apart. When Churchill was still not speaking Morrisson decided that he was the one who had to restart the conversation. “Sir, I still cannot understand what this has to do with the Home Office. Clearly, this is something for the Treasury and the Foreign..” Churchill interrupted him with a raised hand and a sad look on his face. “However, I have spent my ample free time in the last year to formulate what could be seen as a plan to avoid total collapse. Simply put we would give the colonies either Home Rule as full nations of the United Kingdom, with a status similar to that of Scotland and Wales or 'Dominion within the Empire' with everything short of full independence. In this case we would retain control over defence and foreign policy, but everything else would be in local hands.” he paused and inwardly smlied at the stunned faces of his two ministers. “I do know of course that this is not easy to make work. I expect the most resistance in British India and in South Africa, but for different reasons. You, Mr. Morrisson are charged with organizing a conference where I intend to reveal this plan to our colonies and Dominions. We should act on this as soon as this thing with Jerry and Ivan has either blown over or is giving us a set of facts we can work with.” Churchill stood up and walked around the office with his arms crossed behind his back. “Gentlemen, there are many both within this administration and outside of it who will call this a crazy folly, but I need your support. It is essential to make it work. I am not interested in what you think personally of it, but what I am interested in is: are you willing to support me on this?” “Yes, Sir.” “Yes, Sir!” Churchill grinned and said. “Good, then let's get to work. There is much to do.” When the ministers had left Churchill lifted the speaker of one of the Telephones on his desk and said. “Admiralty, urgent.”

I don't know if he really liked to fish, but I can somehow see him doing it.

[Game Effects: none yet, the signing of the Alliance is very near. I originally meant to write some more of the conference between the Germans and the Soviets, but then the plot bunny bit me in the lower leg like a dog the mail man. Isn't the first and won't be the last time. It is also much longer than intended, but I finally figured out how the Empire plan could be made work. I also hereby swear in the name of Nelson's tomb that should I ever have the money I will buy Paradox Interactive a decent server for their Forum. :mad: ]

Last edited: