+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 328 FirstFirst ... 2 27 52 77 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 127 152 177 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 6541

Thread: Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Come cheer up my lads, 'tis to glory we steer!

Brilliant, stirring stuff.
    The King's First Minister - a UK AAR

Character Writer of the Week 15/12/08
    Character Writer of the Week 10/08/09
    Character Writer of the Week 04/10/09

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

BritishImperial Thank you, thank you. In fact that is how I saw it when I encountered it the first time.

Le Jones Thank you.

If you want more naval action written like that, go here.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 04/27/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

WOOOOOOOOOO! GO the RN! Also this line was excellent
    "Admiralty, London, course: none, speed: continental drift"
    Actualyl if there is continental drift, then we miust have a course, which happens to be eastwards. Yes I am that pedantic.
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Strange View Post
    WOOOOOOOOOO! GO the RN! Also this line was excellent
    "Admiralty, London, course: none, speed: continental drift"
    Actualyl if there is continental drift, then we miust have a course, which happens to be eastwards. Yes I am that pedantic.
    Glad you liked it. I will go back and edit the post of course.
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 04/27/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

The Avatar of Time 4th Dimension's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

You damn barbaric British! You just destroyed valuable museum peaces!!

Four modern ships against a WWI relic. I hope you are proud.
    In my cookie jar
    Krofta Kookie! | PanzAARcookie! | Uniting Russia's Russian double-chip Peter Wrangel's chocolate cookie• | Got 10 in Timelines

To place foot upon tyrany's neck,
    to lead tyrants to knowledge of the right,
    this is the most sacred of man's duties!
    Bishop Danilo - The Mountain Wreath

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post

Firstly, at the beginning it was two vs four, and all of these ships on my side where built during or even before the Great War.

Iron Duke Class & Queen Elizabeth Class

It was two lvl1 BBs against two lvl1 and two lvl2.

Marshal of the Empire BritishImperial's Avatar

i could swear we are drifting west, as i'm pretty sure i've made jokes about moving further away from the french... i'm probably wrong though. i could be very picky and say that technically the Admiralty was moving at 67000 mph. that would make me a bastard though, and i loved that particular line.
    Whistle while you work, Hitler is a berk...

writAAr of the week, 5th May 2008
    Fan of the week, 24th December 2008, 8th March 2009
    Proud owner of a Loyal ReadAAR cookie from Trekaddict in 'Against All Odds'

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post

You mean like Surigao strait where Six US Battleships with heavy screening forces piled on against Fuso and Yamashiro? The winner can't be blamed when a fool throws a nice museum piece against real fighting ships.
    "Politics is warfare conducted by other means." Prince Yukihito.

My aars to date:

Stormy Seas With Only the Devil for Company....An AH US aar Abandoned Technical

Forging Destiny: Sunrise of a new world. On going...

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars

That sir was quite an outstanding update. The format was excellent, the pace good and the result a triumph.

I also have to mention my appreciation of the line;

"Admiralty, London, course: due east, speed: continental drift"

On a vaguely plot like point it appears Backhouse is being a bit too much of a micromanager, is that perhaps foreshadowing the cause of his comeuppance?
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 16th June with hot and spicy dirigible action and all the exploding airships you could ever ask for.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of an AARland Choice Comedy Award. The Slovak, for want of a better word, economy is feeling the strain of total war while being a German puppet. Updated 19th July 2014.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by KiMaSa View Post
    You mean like Surigao strait where Six US Battleships with heavy screening forces piled on against Fuso and Yamashiro? The winner can't be blamed when a fool throws a nice museum piece against real fighting ships.
    Indeed, as a famous midget Corsican (that or John Milton I forget) put it;

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

If the enemy wants to make the mistake of getting their ships sunk in a turkey shoot then you'd be foolish not to take advantage.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 16th June with hot and spicy dirigible action and all the exploding airships you could ever ask for.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of an AARland Choice Comedy Award. The Slovak, for want of a better word, economy is feeling the strain of total war while being a German puppet. Updated 19th July 2014.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Europa Universalis IV

BritishImperial

KiMaSa Indeed. My ships just happened to be in the area when they spotted the Soviet Fleet.

El Pip Thank you, thank you. I will use that format for all future Naval Battles.

I was grinning when I wrote that line.

This is indeed part of the problem that will lead to his eventual replacement, more on that later.

El Pip IIRC both the Midget and Lord Nelson said that.

RPM Imterm Air Guru darthkommandant's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Supreme Ruler: Cold War

Blog Entries
    Excellent update. It must suck to be the soviet navy's main leader right now.
    The EastAARn Front Ger 41 TRP AAR Can I beat the Bear? Maybe not but well find out.
    (&) Scharfschützenabzeichen Awarded by TheHyphenated1 for meritorious conduct in Weltkreigschaft

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by darthkommandant View Post
    Excellent update. It must suck to be the soviet navy's main leader right now.
    You can expect that Comrade Stalin will not be pleased.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    Good.

I though that the Soviets would accidentally open fire on the Germans in fading light or vice versa, but it seems that I was wrong.

Excellent update!
    You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word - Al Capone

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war) - Pvblivs Flavivs Vegetivs Renatvs

Stopping the 40 day plan: A French 1914 AAR Completed
    pAARallel Universes: A Germany 1936 Grand Campaign Abandoned
    • Cookie from DoomBunny for recognizing Dr. Strangelove references

Europa Universalis IV

humancalculator It was a possibility I considered, but it would have taken roleplaying too far, as I couldn't have possibly known it happened without cheating.

all

Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two has won an AARland Choice Award as Overall favourite Narrative ( HOI2 ). I am flattered and enjoy this very much. Thank you all for voting for this humble little AAR and an author who started this because he was bored out of his mind as a small diversion. Again, thank you.

*opens imaginary bottle of champagne*

Marshal of the Empire BritishImperial's Avatar

yey! the best man won
    Whistle while you work, Hitler is a berk...

writAAr of the week, 5th May 2008
    Fan of the week, 24th December 2008, 8th March 2009
    Proud owner of a Loyal ReadAAR cookie from Trekaddict in 'Against All Odds'

Congrats, trek, you deserve it.

I was actually hoping for a few U-Boats to pop up and cause unexpected damage on your fleet. Well, it did not happen.
    When we created Artificial Intelligence, we also created Artificial Stupidity. - Gaia commenting on robots.
    Proud member of shipbucket, and my own gaiabucket

French Mod 1914 Alternate History AAR (1897- ?) Les Flammes des Ténèbres
    Les Flammes des Ténèbres: Saints et Démons - Part I completed

Character WritAAR of the Week: 26/10/08, 10/04/09
    WritAAR of the Week: 04/01/09

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congratulations! For this AAR is worthy and deserveing of much praise. May the Virtual SUn never set upon it.
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post
    Yes, but not quite. "More like China" applies more to the later years, as they are still in the experimental phase of Orthodox communism. There are differences. They aren't putting everything on heavy industry for example, there is still a big 'market' for consumer goods that needs to be supplied.
    Hrm. I just wonder how collectivization would work in America.
    I am therefore officially rooting for a Franco-German strike on Russia, prompting the Soviets to strike back with their hitherto secret nukes. This will serve as a salutary lesson to all involved and leave everyone suitably chastened.-El Pip

Great War: The American Front: Can the United States defeat Britain and its Confederate Lackeys? Or will the CSA defend its freedom against the Yankee Menace?

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Faeelin View Post
    Hrm. I just wonder how collectivization would work in America.
    So do I, that's why I am not going into too much detail on it. I could however think that all land above a certain size is collectivized, the rest left for private farmers.

+ Reply to Thread