+ Reply to Thread
Page 231 of 329 FirstFirst ... 131 156 181 206 221 229 230 231 232 233 241 256 281 306 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 6571

Thread: Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two

trekaddict

Interesting that this time the seeds of the alliance come from small powers looking for security rather than the combined aims of a super-power and a number of medium sized ones.

A couple of points:

a) Small but funny typo. "and the singing ceremony at Ditchley House in Oxfordshire". Does this TL really need a Eurovision Song Contest?

b) My eyes are definitely getting worse. I was wondering why the alliance badge referred to 1913 then I realised one of the I's was a L!

c) On the Polish caution about getting dragged into "any Colonial conflicts that all of the founding members but themselves might eventually have" where is this Irish colonial empire? . I also notice the implicit view that European territories can't be colonies.

Anyway, good update and insight into the post-war world.

Steve

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

Kurt_Steiner Aside from the ground Forces that IOTL went to North Africa they have only a handful of Squadrons overseas.

stevep a) Shall be corrected. I shouldn't be writing with the kind of headache I have right now.

b) I wouldn't be surprised, I used an online translator for that.

c) Will be corrected. Well, territories inside Europe can't be had of course. Remember also that the Author is a Briton from the early 1990s ITTL, and to his mind by 1942 Colonies were something only the other countries had, not the British Empire.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 09/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

Honestly I'm surprised any effort has been made to bring France into an Alliance. The best you can hope for is for them to be net neutral, more likely the French will just be a negative; causing more problems than they solve.

Had it been me I would have kicked the issue into the future and then done a deal in the immediate post-war glow without the French. If nothing else I hope no-one has done anything silly like make the alliance bi-lingual, why waste time learning any more French than 'Do you surrender'?
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

[QUOTE=trekaddict;9268587Belgium was only invented so that Britain and Germany would have somwhere to sort out their differences.
    QUOTE]
    we have enough trouble sorting out our own differences, thank you very much

edit: this just to let you know I'm gaining on you. case Yellow just started and let me say it was the most entertaining phoney war I've ever read about.
    Germany Tutorial, Take Two: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...2#post13243122 or find it in the Major Threads sticky.
    Tutorial AAR in pdf form available on Gamefront, courtesy of Davy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7H...it?usp=sharing
    Honoured by USKnight for the above tutorial here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post14404907
    Current EU IV AAR: La Douce France http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post17163635 Completed!

how did we end up with a different prince of wales? did something happen to the greek royals or is this just a butterfly?

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsheadx View Post
    how did we end up with a different prince of wales? did something happen to the greek royals or is this just a butterfly?
    As I recall it's just a butterfly, with Mounbatten off running the intelligence services TTL he was too busy to start fixing up royal marriages.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - "An an insane project of terrifying detail". The finest slower-than-real-time AAR on the board. Updated 11th September Through adversity, to the sea(plane).

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. Winner of Two AARland Choice Comedy Awards - Round 4 2011 and Q2 2014. Critical Realisitic Security Advice! News! Hangovers! Just another day in Bratislava for T&T. Updated 14th September.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Europa Universalis IV

El Pip Well, the French navy and the French bases are needed in the Atlantic against the U-Boats and someone has to keep Rommel busy in the west while the rest of the Pact gets on with the war.

Also, the Poles fear (without reason ITTL) that they are going to be left to their own devices once the war is over and that's why they pushed for it like this.

misterbean I am aware of that, I was merely quoting the IMO best ever Top Gear Episode. It even has Spitfires in it!

And thanks.

Deathsheadx
    Well, Greece hasn't entered the war and doesn't look like they are going to anytime soon, so yes, it's a butterfly since Princess Elizabeth has never met and will never meet the future Prince Phillip, thus resulting in an alternate Royal Family.
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 09/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by El Pip View Post
    As I recall it's just a butterfly, with Mounbatten off running the intelligence services TTL he was too busy to start fixing up royal marriages.
    You slipped in, and yes. Mountbatten merely runs the Special Operations Executive though.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Nice patch, big sword
    To be shoved up to the hilt in the enemies of the "Pact"
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post

Deathsheadx
    Well, Greece hasn't entered the war and doesn't look like they are going to anytime soon, so yes, it's a butterfly since Princess Elizabeth has never met and will never meet the future Prince Phillip, thus resulting in an alternate Royal Family.
    for some reason this makes me happy.

and now you have me wondering what the royal family in this timeline would be like.

Europa Universalis IV

Well, the next Queen will also have a II behind her name...... I am saying to more than that.

blsteen
    Which is the idea.

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

the most dangerous place to which a young man can be sent.
    I think a second Victorian Era is incoming.

RULE BRITANNIA!
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

For the cities which were formerly great have most of them become insignificant; and such as are at present powerful, were weak in the olden time. I shall therefore discourse equally of both, convinced that human happiness never continues long in one stay.
    Herodotus of Halicarnassus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Strange View Post
    I think a second Victorian Era is incoming.

RULE BRITANNIA!
    OOOOOh yes please! RULE BRITANNIA!

Europa Universalis IV

I wasn't going to reveal that part until a few dozen updates down the line (where The Princess meets her future Husband once I have figured that part out) but yes, there will be a Queen Victoria II.

Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post
    I wasn't going to reveal that part until a few dozen updates down the line (where The Princess meets her future Husband once I have figured that part out) but yes, there will be a Queen Victoria II.
    i'll wait for you to reveal the how, cause i'm really interested in how you get there.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossMarch of the Eagles
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

a dumb question

it may well be, but it has been bugging me. How do you build Ghurka paratroopers in-game? I thought they were mountaineers? or is that just RP?
    Germany Tutorial, Take Two: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...2#post13243122 or find it in the Major Threads sticky.
    Tutorial AAR in pdf form available on Gamefront, courtesy of Davy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7H...it?usp=sharing
    Honoured by USKnight for the above tutorial here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post14404907
    Current EU IV AAR: La Douce France http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post17163635 Completed!

Europa Universalis IV

That's just RP, since the game doesn't go below Division in scale I have a lot of wiggle room with Brigades and Regiments.

damn
    thought I could learn something new

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by misterbean View Post
    damn
    thought I could learn something new
    True. But being able to buld the Sailsbury Highlanders, soon to be also known as "Royal Highland Regiment of Rhodesia" would be awesome indeed. In any case:

Up next: Gurkha Mountaineers vs Waffen SS!

Manners Makyth Man Demi Moderator Lord Strange's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

the most dangerous place to which a young man can be sent.
    My money is on the Gurkhas for some reason....

Wait, I joined in 07 like trek, and yet he has 6000 more posts than me!
    Founder of the Lord Strange School of Thought

If I'm speaking in Gold, it means I'm speaking in my capacity as a Demi-Mod.
    Any other colour, it's your choice whether to pay attention or not

For the cities which were formerly great have most of them become insignificant; and such as are at present powerful, were weak in the olden time. I shall therefore discourse equally of both, convinced that human happiness never continues long in one stay.
    Herodotus of Halicarnassus

+ Reply to Thread