• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I think you're accepting too many white peaces, you're taking some of my other advice so I won't complain yet.

Anyway, why not try some more wars against primitives? There are quite a lot of African, Indonesian, North American etc minors who will have fallen behind in the tech race by now.

Managing the wars quite effectively thus far.

Feedback time

Fulcrumvale That's so true, so do the sensible thing and kill everything! The War Capacity stuff in NA puts me off, it looks too close to 'cheating by design'.

Enewald War Score - well it's hard to write code that copes with every possibility and you need twisted souls like me to flush it out in testing and rewrite the logic - I've spent the last three years working as a software tester, rethinking stuff that isn't wrong as such, just a bit odd.

France? Good guess but you'll have to wait and see :)

Carinthium What no menntion of the Ottomans, go and see a doctor right now ;) The White Peaces against people I can't hurt are simply so that as soon as I can get Peace with real enemies my WE is falling. Controlling BB wars is about controlling your enemies so there are regular periods of Peace to reduce WE and rebuild Manpower. Isolated provinces or ones that create boundaries with new neighbours aren't a good idea - they drag you into low value wars that simply prevent peace.

I'm not too bothered about Pagans and non Catholic minors - they'll all die fast when I get around to them - the main part of a No Turbo WC is to keep chewing up majors working steadily from one end of Eurasia to the other :cool:

Vann the Red Thank you, I hope to be able to say 'You ain't seen nothing yet!'

stnylan So far but it's early days - it's the point a few years in when everyone is at war and you've no money and no troops when it gets messy. I aim to avoid that happening if I can.

comagoosie An AI that good is called SkyNet!

robou The conversions were sweet - the 'Eradicate the Heretics' Event is worth a 15% bonus and I have a court full of Theologians.

Good guesses, but you'll have to wait a little while...

An update is in the works, I'm trying to play through to Peace, which is proving elusive...

Once again thanks to everyone who reads and even more so to those few, those happy few, who comment!

Update 25

Update 25

Colour thieves!

EU3_102.jpg

20/10/1562 France joins Scotland at WAR with Castile. That’s more like it!

OK, France, 100k+ troops, a huge fleet, is lucky (obviously), great generals, wealthy with high potential manpower. They also have interior lines and with Scotland this war will be fought in several colonial theatres.

I hope to seize the lone French colony in Brazil and their two provinces in South Africa as well as Guantamano. One problem with the Cuban colonies they have troops and ships in theatre I don’t. War aims in Europe are probably about trying to link up the Pyrenees with the Alps, for better troop movement and tax take when I core on the old Austrian lands.

Against Scotland I’m interested in Canadian colonies and some of mainland Scotland, if they are going to DOW and bring in France they can stay around quite a while.

That said I have around 100k uncommitted troops available near the new front lines.

01/12/1562

France has seized Cuba but a relief force has just landed. South Africa is a few days from falling and the French regiment in Brazil is down to under 100 troops.

Scottish forces invade Northern England and French troops besiege several provinces in Germany and the Alps. 5 armies of 13 regiments march across the Pyrenees to set about taking southern France and distracting French reinforcements.

The Ottomans refuse a 96% peace deal at 82% War Score – I should really try finishing off some of those armies.

30/12/1562 Elsass converts

02/04/1562 Peace with the Ottomans, 96 War Score deal at 93 War Score – I could do with getting those troops back to Germany

Gains against the Ottomans

EU3_103.jpg

New territories have a red blob. Please admire my Leet Paint skillz, I should explain that among other things I have previously worked for a Graphics Design Studio for three years.

16/05/1562 Conversion of Alabama fails

01/08/1563 Naval 14 – With ahead of time penalties (2 years) applying to everything but Trade, I carry out my first Trade tech research.

Slow progress in the war – my navy in the Caribbean was caught and mauled by a much stronger French fleet – there will be no attacks on the French and Scottish colonies in the smaller islands.

All of Scottish Canada barring the most distant colonies beyond the Reformed Venetian province has fallen. A conquistador slowly works through the hostile Canadian interior, there is no possibility of naval actions in this theatre given the large French fleet nearby.

German provinces slowly fall to French sieges; Southern France is besieged by Castilians. This type of exchange greatly favours my much larger empire.

Scottish forces have been badly thrashed and pushed into the Highlands – Peace will be harsh - hopefully.

07/11/1563 Quijos converts

26/12/1563 Peace with Scotland. I gain Labrador, Abitbi, Moose Cree and Ayrshire along with 50 ducats. Scotland also lost the colonies of Attawapishat, Chipewyan and Woods Cree.

War aims achieved, Scotland is driven from mainland Canada and one of the important mainland provinces. I was very short of troops in Scotland after a couple of failed assaults, with rebels spawning across England I was losing provinces as fast as I could gain them. This could have been better but I didn't have the troops available.

A Regency Council!

EU3_104.jpg

A/D/M 3/6/7 Oh dear, no DOWs for me for a while and that admin score is unfortunate.

A couple of interesting things are visible:

Central Germany, Forces returning from the East are finishing off the last few French regiments from a 90 strong force that has been destroyed by assaults, attrition and sequential attacks by the rested and rebuilt armies from the Ottoman campaign. When you have a lot of territory letting big enemy stacks wonder around for a couple of years wearing down the AI’s manpower pool is an easy way of winning the war.

Southern France is slowly falling to sieges – Level 2 forts are very costly for assaults at my tech level, manpower is not good enough for that approach.

01/02/1564 Tyrone declares WAR

01/02/1564 Cologne declares WAR

Both are OPMs, I imagine you can guess how this will end.

21/04/1564 Inca Empire declares WAR. Kerching! :cool:

16/05/1564 Conversion of Pennyrile fails

01/06/1564 Trade 4

21/06/1564 Denmark declares WAR

22/06/1564 Lithuania and Finland declare WAR in support of Denmark

23/06/1564 Sulu declares WAR

24/06/1564 Rajputana declares WAR in support of Sulu

01/08/1564 Summary - Wars against:

France
Tyrone
Cologne
Inca Empire
Rajputana* and Sulu
Lithuania*, Denmark and Finland

The war against France is now being fought on French soil but the cost is high. Endless battles rage in central France as the French pour new mercenary units into a meatgrinder in Auvergne. I’ve cycled three armies of 13k each through, all are barely half strength. Another army has wiped out scattered French units in the eastern provinces; Paris will be besieged within days. War Score is heading towards 40%.

Tyrone, troops are landing at this moment while Tyrone’s army besieges Meath. Annexation is the aim.

Cologne, after a failed assault troops regain strength, annexation is again the aim as the province is Catholic.

Inca Empire, I’ve seized a couple more provinces but I don’t have enough troops to fight this war so a run for Cuzco and a payday is the strategy.

Rajputana, I plan to White Peace these guys, ideally after annexing Sulu. I really don’t want Indian provinces right now.

Lithuanian alliance again White Peace, far too big to beat quickly and I’d like to recover some manpower and WE in a year or so.

13/08/1564 Inca Empire accepts Peace for 675 ducats – a 27% War Score after I seize 27 point Cuzco. Two provinces were seized in the fighting. This should fund the war effort for the rest of the year and may even pay to rebuild some of the fleet.

24/01/1565 Cologne falls

25/01/1565 Cologne is annexed

08/03/1565 Denmark offers White Peace – Accepted I want to finish all my wars by the autumn

13/03/1565 Sulu is annexed

14/03/1565 Rajputana accepts White Peace

16/04/1565 Finland accepts White Peace

France accepts Peace

EU3_105.jpg

A Land connection is established across Southern France to the Austrian provinces. Erfurt contains a University and connects another 4 isolated provinces. This was a 92 point peace deal with a 46% War Score – France was very short of troops and 9 provinces including Paris were under siege. I caught and destroyed over 135 French regiments, hopefully they are rather short of manpower now.

There are however one serious lesson to learn from this war – I’m not competitive at Sea. My Mediterranean Galley based fleet lost around ¼ of its strength clearing out French (and Danish) ships. The Spain based Big Ship/Transport Fleet is down to ½ strength having just been rebuilt after the Ottos chewed it up. The Big Ship/Transport Fleet in the Caribbean got caught by the French main fleet – I was able to retreat 3 ships out of 18.

One of the armies in France will be diverted to Ireland – I want to kill Tyrone quickly and the force in theatre is a wreck – failed assaults have reduced a 3/10 army to 3000/0 troops.

17/05/1565 Tyrone falls but they’ve captured Meath and the enemy troops are a lot stronger than what is left of my army

24/05/1565 Conversion of Tuskegee fails

02/06/1565 Lithuania accepts White Peace

They had taken 4 border provinces without any resistance – for 1.5% War Score. The manpower loses from overstacked sieges will have hurt them. Now all I have to do is push Tyrone out of Meath, storm the city and annex.

08/07/1565 Caracara converts

09/07/1565 Tyrone is annexed

Peace!

Stats, because everyone likes stats:

BadBoy 118.08
War Exhaustion 2.59
Inflation 5.6%
Manpower 106k of 139k max
Reinforcement need 52,131

Last edited:
BB wars are fascinating from a reader’s point of view. Keep at ‘em.

Ah! Finally the French King decided the best way of getting rid of his regiments! Fantastic Stuff! ;)

Feedback time

comagoosie It's more of a phase than a mini war after all with my BB it's not going to stop anytime soon. Ming, probably about 1680 unless I get there faster :D

Fulcrumvale Thanks! I'm not entirely sure how to portray the wars, I can't see how screenie after screenie of the battle screen would offer much of interest - we all know what that looks like.

Enewald World Conquest or near miss is a necessary precondition of spreading the Catholic faith - it's not going to get into the middle east or further afield any other way.

Carinthium The original goal, as per 1st post, was:

The objective is to spread the Catholic faith. I doubt I will manage to make half the world Catholic but that might just be achievable…
That hasn't changed, but without extensive conquests it's not achievable. The only definite way to ensure the true faith triumphs is to conquer a province and convert it. Once you start conquering that much the effects of BB kick in.

Please note I am sending 5 colonists and 2 missionaries a year and that those numbers will increase when the opportunity arises. Every conversion attempt has been recorded. I'll post an update on the religious makeup of Castile and how Castile has changed the world since 1453

robou Yes, I was pleased with those battles that wiped out the 90 or so regiments in Germany. I'm still waiting for the Burgundy/Venice aliance to DOW.

Update on religious change next - hopefully today/tomorrow. I need to play on - I'm only 6 months on from this point. That's not a tease, it was 12.45 last night and I had a 6.30 start with three meetings today.

That was a true BB war. Well done on keeping control and not being dragged down the WE/revolt death spiral. And yes, being competitive at sea is important - the AI likes its ships, can't lose them to attrition (unlike armies - sounds like the combat AI could still use a little work) and a major naval defeat is much more expensive than a corresponding military defeat.

I'd imagine your dearest hope right now is to be left alone for a few years to let the WE cool off. Best of luck!

More Feedback!

asd21593 Cheers, there should be a lot more Castile to come!

merrick Yes I want peace for a couple of years to remove WE but 2.59 isn't that much...

Successful BB wars are all about control of time spent fighting - an extra two years at war to acquire a couple of provnces is a bad idea in my book. Short intense bouts of fighting with cool off periods is much better.

Naval stuff is not my strong point - frankly I'm hopeless - I usually end up parking a large fleet at some point on my coast the AI wants to blockade and sinking the blockade units before retreating to port at the end of the month to repair. It's a defensive and reactive strategy, I don't like it but I sink too many ships by forgetting about attrition.

Update 26

Update 26

Spreading the Faith - Executive Summary

Castile 30th May 1453:

13 Catholic provinces

Castile 1st January 1566:

6 Sunni provinces
3 Shamanist provinces
1 Reformed province
6 Protestant provinces
4 Orthodox provinces
8 Animist provinces
&
234 Catholic provinces​

Conversions have proven very successful 59 out of 95 have succeeded. Now I’ve stopped worrying about BB my preferred advisors are Theologians to the exclusion of all others.

The highlights of the conversion policy are:

1. The complete conversion of the formerly Sunni provinces of Granada, Morocco, Algiers and Tunisia

2. The conversion of the North American shamanist pagans – there are only three provinces left of the five tribes

All non Catholic Christian and Pagan provinces are priority targets.

Last edited: