• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just caught up and that is some truly impressive progress!

Liked the comment about being DOWed by the TI. Probably a smart move on the AI's part - anything you can see you can probably kill.

One thing about colonial strategies - colonies apparently count as provinces for stability calulations, so map-painting with low-level colonies is a great way of sending you stability costs to the moon. Of course, yours are most likely on Mars now anyway....

Feedback time

comagoosie AI Japan, mental, what else can I say! I guess they found me through spread of discoveries and got bored, after all my BB is reasonably high :)

The actual attack on Sulu did surprise me, there's a screenie in the next update that is quite interesting in this context.

stnylan WE is still under control, periods of peace might be boring but are essential.

It is nice to have an improved missionary position.

robou Frankly, I deserve to be famous, in my humble opinion I rock.

As for social occasions the trick is to avoid having to use someone's name. I recommend 'mate' for blokes and if you've got the necessary social skills 'hun' works well with women in the UK at the moment.

Capibara You can communicate with the AI - wow!

'Capibara, AI Whisperer' :rofl:

Vann the Red Cheers, it's always easy, see it, kill it. Inside every guy typing at a keyboard is an inner Terminator or Burgundian!

Enewald You may be speaking too soon, there are ominous signs...

Congrats on the post total!

merrick Thank you! Actually Japan is safe for quite a while - neither my supply lines nor my religion sliders will easily cope with Shinto provinces right now.

My stab costs are quite high, 310k to regain +3. I understand the effect colonies have, the BB multiplier is also a factor :D

You'll notice I haven't done anything that reduces stab in decades.

Last edited:
Update 43

Update 43

16/12/1606 Suakin converts

Worrying reports from Naval Intelligence

EU3_182.jpg

That’s Ming Marines in position offshore from my small colony on Diego Garcia.

Start of the year – I realise that this game is probably nothing like the average game – I don’t build improvements anymore. Well some forts go up to improve missionary chances but that’s it, nothing else has been built in decades – I don’t need the money.

03/01/1607 Denmark declares WAR on Castile

03/01/1607 Finland declares WAR on Castile in support of Denmark

03/01/1607 Lithuania declares WAR on Castile in support of Denmark

The Eastern Front

EU3_183.jpg

This shot nearly makes the AI look threatening, gotta love that Red/Green thing in Diplomatic Map mode!

Danish America

EU3_184.jpg

All three provinces are colonies.

26/02/1607 Conversion of Vermandois fails

28/05/1607 Othe converts

17/10/1607 Scotland declares WAR on Castile

18/10/1607 France declares WAR on Castile in support of Scotland

19/11/1607 Scotland accepts White Peace

29/11/1607 Trier converts

22/12/1607 Conversion of Nazca fails

01/02/1608 Trade 20

05/03/1608 Banat converts

Peace with Finland – 19/04/1608

EU3_185.jpg

05/06/1608 Conversion of Hinterpommern fails

Peace with Denmark - 14/06/1608

EU3_186.jpg

07/09/1608 Conversion of Cyrenaica fails

01/12/1608 Gov’t 20

12/03/1609 Asyut converts

04/04/1609 Yucatan converts

30/05/1609 Conversion of Vermandois fails

Peace with Lithuania - 15/10/1609

EU3_187.jpg

This is a 98 point peace that strengthens my newly developing position in North Western Russia and adds Kiev, a 56 point city.

Peace with France - 31/10/1609

EU3_188.jpg

This is a 92 point peace deal, once again chewing my way into the French heartland.

Despite the length of these wars there isn't a great deal to say. France doesn't manage to put more than a handful of regiments in the field. I only used one 13k field army against France, wandering around killing stray French regiments while four mercenary groups carried out the sieges.

Lithuania while having big armies (about 150k troops) has very poor unit types - Eastern Militia and Men at Arms. Casualties are very high for Lithuanian armies, the lack of a fire phase a real problem.

The tactic of seiging until a breach occurs and then assaulting continues. Assaults without a breach have too high a likelihood of failing and putting a field army out of commission for over a year as troop levels rebuild.

13/11/1609 Huamanga converts

01/12/1609 War exhaustion is 3.17

Scandinavia

EU3_189.jpg

The Persian/Mamluk war continues…

EU3_190.jpg

eek, you just conqureed my home province!

Well, I shall hope that you protect it well. :p

Another eastern front war, haha, they never end. :rofl:

Yikes... i saw a Rebel ;) Good progress as always, and now not even the Lithuanians scare you. I still think that when you get there, China will be a tough old nut to crack.

That was a quick handling of the wars in Europe, time to take care of Ming

Not too many more wars with France now.

Feedback time

comagoosie Things are going well, I'd just like some better missionary advisors.

Tech progress below - note I'm ahead of time for tech across the board, I even out-tech Gotland!

EU3_191.jpg

This is 1.3 so I don't have the military comparison screens but if you've got details you want let me know.

Carinthium It's a good idea but I have two concerns. One, I want to reduce my war exhaustion, taking down to Persia is likely to be time consuming on the first war. Two, would DOWing Persia lead to an immediate Persian/Mamluk peace deal and what would happen in that deal?

I don't know the answers I haven't played past 01/01/1610.

Enewald Hello my subject :rofl:

The Eastern front will end, at the Pacific!

robou Rebels are uncommon - I've worked hard to stay stable and balance tolerance. The rebels in the French peace screenshot are the result of a failed conversion. Normally I station an army in the province when the conversion is due but the war meant the troops were busy.

Capibara Ming will have to wait a while longer, my sliders won't tolerate them. The original expectation of 1680 to 1700 for the first war is possibly pessimistic :D

I still need to get into striking range, I'm half a continent away right now.

stnylan I've just counted the provinces and guessed at the possible peace deals, France is five wars.

comagoosie To be honest, I think that the military comparison screen is basically cheating, as is the War Capacity stuff. If you haven't worked out how tough your opponent is you get what you deserve!

PrawnStar said:
comagoosie To be honest, I think that the military comparison screen is basically cheating, as is the War Capacity stuff. If you haven't worked out how tough your opponent is you get what you deserve!

I agree, I think it should be an option in the espionage menu, and depending on how good or lucky your spies are you'd get partial -or false- information.

Update 44

Update 44

09/02/1610 Cayor converts

26/02/1610 Metz converts

25/03/1610 Japan declares WAR on Castile

26/03/1610 Ming declares WAR on Castile in support of Japan

01/05/1610 Land 21

01/06/1610 Conversion of Bourgogne fails

That’s a lot of ships!

EU3_192.jpg

That newly uncovered Ming fleet is 131 ships strong. That’s why I’m not hunting them down. The plan is to wait until I get ‘Threedeckers’ and then use all the old ships as a screen. There’s no way you can beat that many ships without losses in your own fleet so I’d rather lose Cogs and Caravels.

03/09/1610 Castile declares WAR on Yaroslavl

The objective here is to draw the Teutonic Order into a war without taking a stab hit.

04/09/1610 Muscovy declares WAR on Castile in support of Yaroslavl

04/09/1610 Teutonic Order declares WAR on Castile in support of Yaroslavl

ALWAYS check the diplomatic situation! Muscovy is alliance leader.

14/09/1610 Ibrim converts

20/11/1610 Mamluk/Persian war has ended; this is the new situation.

The Holy Land

EU3_193.jpg

If this was the end of the update I’d pose the question what happens next? :D

01/12/1610 Castile declares WAR on the Mamluks

02/12/1610 Kanem Bornu declares WAR on Castile in support of the Mamluks

06/12/1610 Krakow converts

09/01/1611 Mali declares WAR on Castile

10/01/1611 Songhai declares WAR on Castile in support of Mali

10/03/1611 Conversion of Libya fails

Peace with the Mamluks - 13/03/1611

EU3_194.jpg

Otherwise known as kick’em when they’re down – it works. This is a 96 point peace deal in 3½ months.

Peace with Mali - 23/03/1611

EU3_195.jpg

Timbuktu is too high a value to take in this war so there will be two more wars to defeat Mali, war continues against Songhai.

05/04/1611 White Peace with Yaroslavl

Peace with Songhai - 10/06/1611

EU3_196.jpg

Songhai is now an OPM, I wonder what will happen in a few years time?

12/06/1611 Norway declares WAR on Castile

17/08/1611 Zacatecas converts

Peace with the Teutonic Order - 22/09/1611

EU3_197.jpg

All of Mesoamerica is now Castilian as well as the last Reformed province.

01/10/1611 Production 21

02/10/1611 Muscovy accepts White Peace

I don’t want to fight Muscovy until I can reach them. I’d prefer them to stay as strong as possible to discourage Lithuania from gobbling up more provinces.

Naval Intelligence – 28/10/1611

EU3_198.jpg

That’s St Helena and those are Persian ships.

Early December proves amusing on the diplomatic front. As well as the standard alliance offer from Gotland, Persia warn me and France wants a royal marriage!

11/12/1611 Alexandria converts

23/12/1611 Nazca converts

24/12/1611 Ming accepts White Peace

24/02/1612 Perigord converts

Peace with Norway - 07/04/1612

EU3_199.jpg

Peace!

War exhaustion is 3.83 - Anyone care to guess what my BB is right now?

Haha, you just keep expanding do you? Sooner or later there will be no stopping you. I just hope rebels from IN don't come to haunt you :D

And I did see some "Castile declares war on x" so it isn't just BB wars. ;)