• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update 40

Update 40

Colonial Strategy

Colonial strategy has been somewhat muddled in recent years; being asked to clarify it has been helpful in focusing my thoughts and plans.

Original colonial plans focused on Brazil and the American coast. This has broadened into some attempts at strategic expansion and the development of Australia and South Africa. The need to ‘culture flip’ and build up captured colonies has been a major distraction.

I’ve also built colonies up to about level 8 – this is probably a mistake.

The new plan is to clear the American interior of hostiles and then establish level 4 colonies hoping natural growth will develop them into full cities before the end of the game. It isn’t too likely that there will be enough colonists available for significant developments outside the western hemisphere.

One thing I will do is colonise my way to West Africa so that I develop a land connection to those territories. Any chance to move my sliders for more colonists without stab hits will be taken – I can move another 4 points toward Free Trade each worth 0.2 colonists a year.

Tropical provinces are an inefficient use of colonists because of the low levels of population growth – even under optimal conditions they’ll need to be developed beyond level 4.

I’m thinking of taking Humanist Tolerance to give among other things a slight boost to population growth – while this is likely to be marginal it will probably save a few colonists in the end game.

Diplomatic update

Classified! :p

Statistics – 01/01/1600

BadBoy 331.53
War Exhaustion 3.42
Inflation 2.8%
Manpower 238k of 238k max
Reinforcement need 0
Census Tax 1971.5
Monthly income 881.5​

Last edited:
All it would take ot ruin his day would be a lengthy war with someone. Ming perhaps.

Or not even with just someone, a series of wars with various peoples. He is right to be wary of WE.

I've just saw the maps. That's a big Castilian Empire, congrats on such a good job!

robou said:
That is pretty humungous! Is there anyone you can't take now?

Let's go for Ming :D

Feedback time

Enewald Civil Wars in EU3 are easy, now a proper EU2 BB driven Civil War when you get caught in an event driven stability crash - that's a proper Civil War!

stnylan Absolutely right, WE is the likeliest problem - not one enemy but the combination of many wars never allowing enough peace.

Capibara Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the size of the Empire for the time in game - it's taken 147 years to get to this point - not halfway yet.

robou No :D

Capibara Ming, not yet - I need to get over there and at the moment my religion sliders won't cope too well with Eastern faith provinces (currently the Eastern faiths are despised). Previous estimates suggested 1680 as the start of the warrs with Ming - I'm no longer sure.

I haven't played on at all from 01/01/1600 so an update will probably have to wait until the weekend.

Feedback time

Duke of Wellington There is definitely a colonisation strategy,the problem lies in the execution! I tend to forget what I'm trying to do especially when buried in micromanaging multiple wars. Colonists often end up being sent to places that don't need them as natural growth was supposed to be the answer.

I think it's a hangover from my EU2 days. For those readers who don't know, in EU2 it was increasingly difficult to add new colonies over your monarch's Admin rating so building colonies up quickly was important.

aldriq I know it's a bit on the low side, but I'm confident that I can change that ;)

Once you go over the BB threshold the need to manage BB goes out the window. BB management means things like force vasselising minors rather than annexations or only DOWing other religion nations when you have CB even with DV as an NI.

For example the year I annexed five Christian OPM's would have been five vasselisations leading to five diploannexations further down the line. The BB saving is considerable.

Update 41

Update 41

03/02/1600 Meissen converts

13/04/1600 The Teutonic Order’s annexation of the last Maya state throws a 7 year 3* Theologian on to the job market – that’ll fill the gap in my court roster very nicely.

01/06/1600 Conversion of Franken fails

07/10/1600 Conversion of Bulgaria fails

01/06/1601 Conversion of Huamanga fails

04/06/1601 Neumark converts

27/09/1601 Franche-Comte converts

01/12/1601 Land 20

Gustavian Infantry

EU3_169.jpg

War exhaustion has fallen to 1.43 after 2¾ years of peace and a new troop type has been deployed (There will be another 4 months of peace to regain morale).

It’s time to review the diplomatic situation…

EU3_170.jpg

The Teutonic Order has an Orthodox religion ally/vassal, Yaroslavl. DOWing Yaroslavl while causing spelling difficulties won’t incur any stability cost. I expect the TO to honour the call to arms. The peace settlement should include forcing the TO to drop their vassalisation otherwise Yaroslavl will be diploannexed quite quickly.

Notice that Novgorod has taken a real beating in the last couple of years, with Lithuania gaining the most in what has been a complex and confusing set of crossed alliances.

The other target is somewhat predictably the Mamluks, who’ve built up a couple of 20+ regiment strong armies in Egypt. This time I do want Judea as well as a chunk of Ethiopia.

08/02/1602 Edirne converts

01/04/1602 Castile declares WAR on Yaroslavl

01/04/1602 Castile declares WAR on the Mamluks

02/04/1602 The Teutonic Order declares WAR on Castile in support of Yaroslavl

02/04/1602 Muscovy declares WAR on Castile in support of Yaroslavl

02/04/1602 Swahili declares WAR on Castile in support of the Mamluks

02/04/1602 Kanem Bornu declares WAR on Castile in support of the Mamluks

War exhaustion is 1.18

29/05/1602 Hainault converts

By the start of June 1602 the Teutonic Order has already been defeated; the only known troops a handful of routed cavalry barely able to stay ahead of Castilian pursuit in Mexico. The Order’s European holdings already under siege in the south while Castilian forces push up the Baltic coast.

Mamluk resistance is significantly greater, huge battles rage in both Cairo and Alexandria as 13000 strong Castilian armies clash with Mamluk armies twice that size in both provinces. Victory here should leave the Mamluks unable to resist much further.

01/10/1602 Franken converts

09/10/1602 Scotland declares WAR on Castile

09/10/1602 France declares WAR on Castile in support of Scotland. The strategy of keeping Scotland alive is paying massive dividends.

11/11/1602 Scotland accepts peace – paying 50 ducats

31/12/1602 Muscovy offers White Peace – accepted I can’t get to them and this makes a significant change to the balance of the war against the Teutonic Order.

Peace with the Teutonic Order - 01/01/1603

EU3_171.jpg

This is a 98 point peace, including 78 points of Mesoamerican provinces.

06/01/1603 White Peace with Swahili

I can’t easily reach these guys. Mamluk fleets in the Red Sea/Indian Ocean number over a hundred ships. OK this is likely to be a vast pack of galleys but it will probably sink everything I put in those waters. The plan is a huge naval modernisation programme when I get the necessary techs and to use all the old ships to soak up damage while I sink the Asian majors’ fleets.

30/01/1603 Luxembourg converts

25/02/1603 White Peace with Kanem Bornu

21/09/1603 Conversion of Nazca fails

French cities are slowly falling without any real resistance – as soon as there is a breach I assault and then move on. Support levels in French provinces are generally good enough to let my forces recover while starting new sieges.

Campaigning against the Mamluks is less successful. Attrition and endless mercenaries have worn my troops in Ethiopia right down, Syria is close to falling.

02/10/1603 Conversion of Mainz fails

29/01/1604 Conversion of Metz fails

Peace with France – 03/04/1604

EU3_172.jpg

Give the value of French heartland provinces it will be three at a time from here on in. I’ve given up on France converting so I’m just grabbing border provinces – this lot are all Protestant. France is very close to speedbump status.

Peace with the Mamluks – 04/04/1604

EU3_173.jpg

This wasn’t what I had in mind when I invaded, my goal was 5 or 6 more low value provinces in Ethiopia. I couldn’t hold a province down there once I’d taken it as attrition was eating my forces alive. This was a 96 point peace deal. It may be possible to reduce the Mamluks to minor power status and move eastwards before they are annexed.

War exhaustion is 2.04

01/05/1604 Naval 20

The Conquest of Jerusalem

EU3_174.jpg

An extra missionary a year! I now have the resources to send that many missionaries and won’t run out of targets any time soon. Elsewhere the new colonial policy is being put into action some 10 new level 1 colonies have been developed with a dozen or more scheduled for the end of the decade. No existing colony over 300 inhabitants has been sent more settlers apart from the recently seized TO colony of Mosquito – and that was to culture flip it.

Beating back the Teutons in what should be your colonies... good! Taken Alexandria and Judea... good! need i say more than good?

Feedback time

comagoosie Three provinces to go in Mesoamerica, they'll be taken in the next war with the TO.

There is an extra missionary for Mecca but that's Persian territory - I'd like to establish a stronger position in Europe first.

Enewald The TO is down but not out, there's another three or four wars needed.

robou Cheers! Some decent progress is now being made.

Update 42

Update 42

05/10/1604 conversion of Hinterpommern fails

11/03/1605 – Japan declares WAR on Castile

Hello, WTF?

EU3_175.jpg

I’ve been DOW’d by countries I haven’t found before, I’ve been DOW’d by countries on my borders that are in TI but I’ve never been DOW’d by a SCREEN FULL OF TERRA INCOGNITA!

In the words of Donald Rumsfeld, we’re looking at unknown unknowns here! War exhaustion is 1.25.

12/03/1605 Ming joins Japan in a WAR against Castile – marvellous; I’ll probably have to wait 36 months for an inactivity White Peace.

Note the date!

EU3_176.jpg

01/05/1605 Castile declares WAR on Loango

02/05/1605 Kongo declares WAR on Castile in support of Loango

22/05/1605 Conversion of Arequipa fails

Loango accepts annexation - 03/06/1605

05/06/1605 Conversion of Banat fails

Japan actually takes the war seriously!

EU3_177.jpg

Kongo accepts annexation - 03/09/1605

The new African possessions

EU3_178.jpg

I’ve immediately started building level 1 forts to help with the inevitable conversions.

04/10/1605 Castile declares WAR on Burgundy

08/10/1605 Volhynia converts

Burgundy accepts annexation - 27/12/1605

Admit it you’re smiling! (OK, not you merrick :p )

EU3_179.jpg

08/01/1606 Castile declares WAR on Mali

09/01/1606 Songhai declares WAR on Castile in support of Mali

Why you’re probably thinking? Well that’s simple I’m running up war exhaustion being stuck in this rather silly war against Ming and Japan and I don’t want to start a war against Persia yet. Lithuania’s refusal to attack me is unnerving; I’m worried about being attacked when my troops are badly out of position and deeply engaged with Persia’s forces. My current thinking is to simplify the situation in Europe and some of the peripheral areas, hence the annexation of Burgundy and the start of the conquest of West Africa.

West Africa on the eve of war

EU3_180.jpg

02/02/1606 Mainz converts

01/05/1606 Production 20

The war against Mali and Songhai is going quite well. It’s not actually possible to hold territory yet; the unfortified provinces are reclaimed as soon as my troops move on but enemy casualties are huge.

13/06/1606 Nile converts

23/08/1606 White Peace with Songhai – there’s plenty of time and this makes the war against Mali a lot easier.

27/08/1606 Lyonnaias converts

20/09/1606 Paris converts to Protestantism – what does this mean for France?

04/11/1606 Peace with Mali – the western half of the country is ripped away. Two colonies were seized, Konian (formerly Burgundian) and Brakna (formerly Danish).

Post War West Africa

EU3_181.jpg

05/11/1606 Ming accepts White Peace

Castile is at peace once more; war exhaustion is 1.99. So there we have it the first war with Ming – did it match expectations? :rofl:

The WE looks to be under control for now.

An extra missionary is always nice :)

you may not know them... but they clearly know you. Don't you just hate that, especially at social occasions :(