• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback time

GooseyPasture The AI won't ally if you already have two allies or the AI country has two allies - I'm not certain about that being true in all cases but it's a good working rule. You may need to engineer a situation where the AI loses its allies.

I think that I mentioned this type of issue during my attempts to ally Aragon.

Carinthium Colonisation has got fairly confused and messy during the BB wars - colonists are still being sent as soon as I get them but there isn't much strategy involved at the moment. Regarding North America, I still have large areas of unclaimed land to expand into without going west.

I will try and do a colonial review after the next update.

I too must admit it hadn't filtered through my brain that the TO had Mesoamerica. It's where it belongs now though :)

France has the potential to be a real irritant if you are restricted to 4 provinces or thereabouts each peace.

Feedback time

Enewald I'm not sure why Burgundy lose but I do know that the French keep surrendering :rofl:

Venice is Catholic so I'm not DOWing it - the stab hit is very difficult to recover from.

comagoosie I should have owned it - easily the biggest mistake so far :eek:o

stnylan No Turbo WC is slow - wait until it's time to take down Ming, that'll be so repetitive it'll make my attempt to diploannex Austria look interesting.

robou It's an everchanging world, who knows what the future might bring for heretics surrounded... oh wait, we can probably guess this one ;)

Wow i've just read this aar all in one go!

Its great. I like this type of aar, because it sticks to the nitty gritty facts rather than a long winded mouthful of words that's difficult to follow. Nice work. :)

Harve Welcome aboard, good to see you enjoying the AAR. I don't have the talent to write high quality fiction - I write updates for computer manuals. That said some of the people on the forum have real talent - check out Prufrock421, Director and the Yogi.

I've aimed at writing something that shows what's happening, what I'm doing and why - this is a complex game and there is always more to learn.

Short update to follow

Update 37

Update 37

The new era of peace gets off to a good start.

29/01/1596 Picardie converts & Huancavelica converts!

01/02/1596 Land 19 Gallop cavalry, nice.

14/08/1596 Conversion of Guachichil fails

28/09/1596 Valenciennes converts

08/02/1597 Silistria converts

01/03/1597 Naval 19

05/06/1597 Zeta converts

07/09/1597 Scotland declares WAR on Castile – war exhaustion has fallen to 3.62

07/09/1597 France declares WAR on Castile in support of Scotland

10/09/1597 Venice declares WAR on Castile

14/09/1597 Castile declares WAR on Poland

15/09/1597 Burgundy declares WAR on Castile in support of Poland

15/09/1597 Saxony declares WAR on Castile in support of Poland

The diplomatic situation

EU3_151.jpg

The political map of Europe should see a certain degree of simplification soon.

War aims are ~100 points of territory from France, Burgundy reduced to an OPM, Scotland left intact since they keep dragging France into wars against me and the annexation of Saxony, Venice and Poland. Always check the diplomatic situation, Poland is the alliance leader.

03/10/1597 Ruppin converts

15/10/1597 Saxony accepts annexation

16/10/1597 Scotland accepts peace paying 50 ducats

09/01/1598 Venice accepts annexation – the Venetian level 1 colony in Connecticut was also seized.

01/02/1598 Production 19

01/06/1598 Conversion of Huamanga fails

02/06/1598 Leipzig converts

23/07/1598 Aztec Empire declares WAR on Castile

24/071598 Maya declares WAR on Castile in support of Aztec Empire

Peace with the Aztecs - 18/09/1598

EU3_152.jpg

01/10/1598 I finally remember to seize St Helena, a French colony.

05/10/1598 Conversion of Banat fails

24/10/1598 Peace with Burgundy, they are reduced to an OPM

25/10/1598 Poland accepts annexation

France resists

EU3_153.jpg

01/01/1599 Trade 19

13/02/1599 Conversion of Nile fails

13/02/1599 Peace with France

The new European order

EU3_154.jpg

Peace with war exhaustion at 4.20

01/03/1599 Gov’t 19

04/06/1599 Breslau converts

05/10/1599 Sirt converts

Last edited:
Its nice to see most of Europe covered with Castillian gold, quite a magnificant sight.
With regards to diplo-annexing, i believe you are right yes. I am indeed going to need some subertage and below the radar working to engineer the situation I want.
Keep up the good work! :)

Still some work to be done out in Central America.

Feedback time

Enewald France is close to speedbump status - Scotland keeps dragging them into wars against me before they have rebuilt their military.

St Helena was the last French colony - I'd forgotten about it :eek:o Outside of mainland France they have one caribbean island.

As for the TO, planning is underway...

GooseyPasture Cheers! With diplomacy a cunning plan can be worth 50 years of war so yes put the game on pause and start looking very carefully at the diplomatic situation of your targets allies ;)

stnylan True :(

robou Scotland serves a purpose, once they don't their life expectancy will be short!

I've now played upto 01/01/1600 - looks like a good point for some overview type stuff so that'll come in the next couple of days. I'll try and do some maps of the empire, a colonial overview, a religious overview and stats.

Comments are always welcome and this is probably a good time to ask questions.

Update 38

Update 38

Around the world in 1600

Western Europe

EU3_155.jpg

Eastern Europe

EU3_156.jpg

Middle East & the Black Sea

EU3_157.jpg

The Red Sea

EU3_158.jpg

West Africa

EU3_159.jpg

Mesoamerica and the Caribbean

EU3_160.jpg

Southern Africa

EU3_161.jpg

Australia

EU3_162.jpg

Southern America

EU3_163.jpg

Update 39

Update 39

Religious update

Castile 30th May 1453:

13 Catholic provinces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Castile 1st January 1566:

6 Sunni provinces
3 Shamanist provinces
1 Reformed province
6 Protestant provinces
4 Orthodox provinces
8 Animist provinces

234 Catholic provinces

Castile 6th January 1587:

7 Sunni provinces
1 Reformed province
10 Protestant provinces
7 Orthodox provinces
15 Animist provinces

332 Catholic provinces

Castile 1st January 1600:

14 Sunni provinces
2 Reformed provinces
16 Protestant provinces
5 Orthodox provinces
19 Animist provinces

368 Catholic provinces

Religious Mode Maps

Europe

EU3_164.jpg

The Reformed faith remains restricted to three provinces; Avignon, Tyrone and Osel.

Protestantism is now in retreat – there aren’t all that many spread vectors left open. Outside of Castile, Protestants only live in France, Burgundy and the Teutonic Order.

The Middle East

EU3_165.jpg

The growth of Persia and Castile is very clear in this shot. Notice how Orthodoxy is in retreat in both the Balkans and the Caucasus.

North America

EU3_166.jpg

All the North America pagans have been converted.

Mesoamerica

EU3_167.jpg

For a Martial Order of the Church the Teutonic Order has been a bit slack …

The Andes

EU3_168.jpg

Conversion efforts are slow in the former Inca lands but progress is being made. Generally a missionary is sent shortly after the last one completes their mission, this allows me to shuffle my only garrison into place before a conversion to prevent problems with rebels.

Your advice has now allowed me to vassalise France so thank you :) that has been one of my main objectives for most of the game!
I dont think ill manage to spread the Spanish blob as far as you have but taking examples from your gameplay has certainly helped me to achive my goals.

Feedback time

comagoosie It's entirely possible that France would DOW me just as happily as Scotland except they're generally still in a truce period when Scotland attack as I peace Scotland out early, particularly easy now they are an OPM.

This is actually a rather useful technique to speed up the destruction of majors - waiting five years between wars is suboptimal so don't do it. If the minor doesn't attack you, attack them - obviously not practical while the minor ally of the major is same religion as yourself.

aldriq Thanks for commenting. There has been competition and the fittest has survived :D

GooseyPasture Excellent, it's really good to hear that you've been able to learn from this AAR. Knowing that makes this feel less of a vanity project and more of a contribution to the community.