• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ultimately conquest is the only way to go - and it also nice as a Catholic nation to wipe out Protestantism :)

wow you have conquered a couple of provinces there. When you are reading update by update, it dosen't seem to much, but then you put it like that and eyes explode :D

Feedback time

Carinthium Feel free to comment, questions and criticism are welcome, I'll get better at this whole AAR business that way. Also, my gameplay isn't necessarily the best so asking me to explain or rethink what I'm doing is a good thing.

Duke of Wellington Thanks for dropping by, current BB while rather low will improve. I quite agree no one should support colour thieves, would you like me to give Scotland an extra kick for you? ;)

Enewald
not that many provinces left to be converted...
Not quite true, there are a lot of unconquered targets!

comagoosie Slowly? I'm downhearted :(

stnylan Agreed, conquest is the only way to ensure the 'right' outcome. Heretics, of course, must be eliminated, it's for their own salvation after all.

robou I was very surprised by just how big Castile has got. Colonisation is pretty much 'invisible' expansion and diploannexation is low drama compared with the wars needed to gain 30+ provinces at a time.

The next update is likely to be tomorrow, I've played a little further but haven't reached a sensible stopping point or wrote up the action so far. I doubt I'm giving too much away to hint that there may well be more fighting soon ;)

Update 27

Update 27

06/11/1565 Caqueta converts

01/03/1566 Trade 5

01/04/1566 Makassar declares WAR

War Exhaustion had fell to 1.97 and reinforcement need to 13,581. Manpower has recovered to 118k.

02/04/1566 Brunei joins the WAR alongside Makassar

This is a war to get out of as soon as possible, I have two ships and two regiments of Infantry in the Far East. In April 1566 a naval battle occurs off the coast of Buru, a Castilian Caravel and Flyte against a Makassan Caravel and 2 Barques. Castile wins a very narrow victory; two barques are sunk while my Flyte survives – at 1%!

04/05/1566 Venice declares WAR

05/05/1566 Burgundy declares WAR in support of its alliance with Venice.

War in Europe

EU3_106.jpg

The war will be fought in Europe, I’m not aware of any Burgundian colonies (they tried and failed on the coast south of Mali) and Venice has four scattered provinces, two on the Canadian coast (including one of the world’s three Reformed provinces), one in Patagonia and Bermuda. Venice is the alliance leader.

20/05/1566 Albania converts

The first great battle of the war is lost in August 1566 a 13000 strong army loses 4500 men in a failed attack on Genoa; the 20000 defenders lose over 11000. Elsewhere Burgundian forces mill around in small numbers, a dozen regiments die through the summer while a couple of fortresses fall to assault, caught unprepared by Venice’s action.

01/11/1566 Government 15

12/11/1566 Conversion of Bulgaria fails

06/12/1566 Brunei offers White Peace – accepted

Felipe 1

EU3_107.jpg

Felipe 1 A/D/M 4/8/5 – 50 years ago this King would have been superb, but now it’s the four for admin that matters (Conversions).

05/05/1567 Erfurt converts

The war dragged on all through the summer and autumn, more and more of Venetian Italy fell under Castilian rule while two large Venetian armies camped in the Alps. Burgundian and Venetian shipping was slowly destroyed, strong forces of Castilian galleys operating out of Tangiers intercepted blockading patrols wearing down the opposing forces. Burgundian troops rallied in the Low countries, but Burgundy proper and the German lands lay under the sword of Castile.

More WAR

EU3_108.jpg

28/10/1567 Scotland declares WAR

29/10/1567 France declares WAR in support of Scotland

I do not have forces in position or even available in any numbers…

The colonial war will have to be defensive; the French have a forty strong fleet in the Caribbean and another thirty ships off Newfoundland. After the naval disaster of the last war my small, rebuilt, Caribbean fleet will hide in port.

In the British Isles my only troops are in Ireland, I need to sneak my transport squadron in Lisbon into British waters without getting walloped by France. The Mediterranean looks much better, there are very few enemy ships there and I have a strong (49 ship) fleet normally based out of Tangiers.

The land war doesn’t look too good, I have very few uncommitted forces in Western Europe, victory against Burgundy or Venice to free up troops looks to be a necessity. I expect more DOWs.

10/11/1567 Conversion of Podolia fails

French forces don’t appear too numerous only 39 regiments visible in Europe; Scottish troops have attacked Hispaniola. They’ve been beaten off but they have the upper hand in this area as they have naval supremacy – I fear I may lose colonies.

01/03/1568 Cores are gained on the former Austrian lands. The precise financial effects are difficult to determine in the midst of war. A quick review shows census tax jumps from ~800 to ~1100 over the next couple of years.

The war remains confused in mainland Europe but Scottish forces are no match for Castile’s troops – Lothian has already fallen and around half all Scottish regiments have been destroyed.

Peace with Venice and Burgundy

EU3_109.jpg

100 point deal with Burgundy, 98 point with Venice.

A solid block of predominantly Catholic territory in Northern Germany with a North Sea port. This actually makes Burgundy somewhat more Protestant overall – perhaps they’ll change state religion! I also seized the newly established Burgundian colony on Tasmania. Burgundy promptly settles the two provinces in Florida; this is good it will save me colonists :D

The Venetian deal doesn’t link Italy to the rest of my holdings – which was one possible objective. But, it does hand over 4 universities and one of the very few settled but non Castilian provinces in the Americas. I also seized the Reformed religion Venetian colony on the coast of Hudson Bay; it's much easier to bring salvation to a colony. A lot of troops are now free for the war against France.

The long expected loss of Andalusian as an accepted culture is not a surprise, at least the conversions were done before the ‘non accepted’ penalty could apply.

18/05/1568 Alabama converts

01/09/1568 Production 15

War Score against France is now 27% - consisting of +25 battles and a couple of Scottish provinces. The war so far has consisted almost entirely of battles aimed at destroying French units and manpower – there are relatively few sieges in place and some of those are simply under strength armies resting in high support (and generally valuable) provinces.

France is increasingly Protestant, although some of the border provinces in the South remain Catholic – I’m very tempted by a peace deal which takes Catholic lands and gives France a better chance of converting.

01/11/1568 Canelos converts

Peace with Scotland - 12/12/1568

EU3_110.jpg

There are three or four Scottish colonies, in Greenland and the Caribbean that I can’t reach due to French naval power.

26/04/1569 Inca Empire declares WAR

This isn’t too bad, while I’m getting the upper hand against France I’m still months from a desirable peace deal – right now I’m busy smashing armies around Paris.

15/10/15669 Peace with Inca – they pay 1000 ducats and lost 4 more provinces. Inca have a lot of troops and I have barely 9000 in South America so a couple more provinces and a huge payday is a result. The money from ransacking Cuzco is funding the Castilian war effort on a huge scale - without it inflation would be about half a point higher.

21/10/1569 Sulu converts

05/11/1569 Banat fails to convert

Peace with France

EU3_111.jpg

More leet paint skillz! Castile has zits, sorry, war gains are indicated by red spots.

This is a 98 point peace after a 59% War Score. French armies have been almost entirely mercenary for several months. Toulouse and Rouergue are both Catholic, further North is Protestant; hopefully this will contain the spread of Protestantism to a limited extent. Auvergne improves our strategic position while Champagne moves the frontline a province nearer to Paris for the next war, both are Protestant.

01/01/1570 Stats

BadBoy 136.92
War Exhaustion 3.69
Inflation 5.7%
Manpower 146k of 153k max
Reinforcement need 26,373

I find that towards the end of big wars manpower and reinforcement needs start to recover as there are fewer battles and siege forces slowly regain strength.

Last edited:
Doing quite nicely. Western Europe should be wrapped up fairly quickly if this keeps up.

Feedback time

robou Do I have to? Lithuania is vast and has those lovely Eastern tech group Cavalry - I'd really like to have some better infantry and a decent tech advantage before taking them on. Right now I'd prefer to focus on beating up the Western Europeans first - my current thinking is destroy France, Burgundy, Venice and the Ottos before moving against Lithuania, Mamluks and Persia.

comagoosie Individual wars are winnable, its the dogpiling that can be the problem. We're not far enough into the whole BB war phase to really feel the strains of too much time at war - then again Rensslaer posted that screenie with 29RR so maybe I worry too much.

stnylan Thank you, that's the plan, to not have too many enemies at any one time.

Courtesy of a bout of insomnia update to follow.

Update 28

Update 28

13/05/1570 Osnabruck converts

15/05/1570 Ottoman Empire declares WAR

16/05/1570 Wallachia declares WAR in support of the Ottos

War exhaustion has fallen to 3.36

16/05/1570 Castile declares WAR on Lorraine

17/05/1570 Poland joins Lorraine at WAR with Castile

Since my war exhaustion isn’t going to get any better for some months I might as well attack a couple of Protestant minors. Lorraine is an OPM; Poland has several provinces that are still Catholic.

01/07/1570 Land 15

12/10/1570 The new Burgundian colony on Trinidad converts to Reformed. I don’t read event files as that can be a bit gamey but I’m wondering if this is anything to do with me reducing the number of Reformed provinces to two. Whatever it is it’s annoying.

10/11/1570 Podolia converts

24/11/1570 Lorraine is annexed

By spring 1571 most of Poland is under Castilian control but the Polish army has gathered 16 regiments strong in a last province – my attacking armies finally ran out of morale and will need to regather strength over the summer. Pressure slowly builds against the Ottomans but no real progress yet.

08/05/1571 Conversion of Janina fails

04/11/1571 Conversion of Ulster fails – this may well be a blessing in disguise if it stops the Reformation event firing again – Catholic Scandinavia looks a strong candidate for a new spawn point.

01/02/1572 Makassar declares WAR

02/02/1572 Brunei joins Makassar at WAR with Castile

26/04/1572 Conversion of Auvergne fails

Spring 1572 The last Polish castle is close to falling but the Polish king (6/6/2/0) is keeping his army intact – 13 Regiments of Cavalry! The Ottomans only have one major army left and that is very ragged after a series of bruising battles in Greece and Albania – another Killer King. War score is mounting, the aim is simply to secure a couple more provinces to maximise the peace outcome.

01/05/1572 Naval 15

01/05/1572 Lithuania declared WAR

01/05/1572 Bavaria joins Lithuania at WAR with Castile

02/05/1572 Denmark joins Lithuania at WAR with Castile

This is very bad news, the AI is generally very happy to go and liberate provinces you’ve captured from another country, especially on shared borders – if I’m not quick Lithuania might eliminate my hold on Poland!

Peace with the Ottomans

EU3_112.jpg

This is 84 points from 89% war score – a reasonable result and I need those troops elsewhere.

01/08/1572 Burgundy converts to Protestant. Interesting news, in future I’ll be able to DOW at will, although right now that seems some distance away. There is a downside, protestant colonies. Lithuania has started liberating Polish provinces but I’ve destroyed the last Polish troops so victory should not be too far away.

07/08/1572 Peace with Bavaria – 50 ducats, I still can’t reach their other province, can’t force it’s release and consider military access a bit gamey when I’m essentially at war with everyone.

03/10/1572 Brunei accepts a White Peace, taking Makassar out of the war as well. Makassar has annexed Bali and has some 10000 in its capital province, no cheap wins possible.

01/11/1572 Trade 6 – I’m level 15 across all the other techs and level 16 is 13 years ahead of time so I’ll play catch up on my trade tech for a while.

08/11/1572 I’m having great difficulty keeping Lublin in my hands, Lithuania has just attacked with 60 regiments not far from full strength. The province gives me 100% victory over Poland but I can’t send another diplomat for 13 days. My 26 Regiments may not hold.

16/11/1572 Conversion of Tuskegee fails

Peace with Poland

EU3_113.jpg

Notice the utterly vast Lithuanian horde trashing my army in Lublin – That’s one for attrition to deal with. Of the five provinces gained three were Catholic surrounded by Protestants – hopefully I’ve saved myself some future conversions.

26/12/1572 Lithuania accepts a White Peace

For those of you wondering why, there are two reasons, I’m not ready and Lithuania is busy converting much of Russia to the Catholic Church. War Exhaustion has climbed to 4.51 and my armies on that frontier are very battered. Even the briefest skirmishes with 60 regiment stacks cost a lot of men. I’m back at Peace, hoping to reduce my War Exhaustion a bit before the next round of fighting.

I did manage to grab a Danish colony and let the natives burn another one north of Brazil.

Last edited:
Impressive war performance there, especially when fighting France and Burgundy at the same time. I don't think I could have matched it.

Strategically, perhaps I could recommend taking time to colonise those regions as yet uncolonised? Doing so is an easy way to make more lands Catholic.

Impressive progress - dare I suggest that the AI no longer has a the capability to stop you, or will the time factor force you to move East before you've dealt with France and Burgundy.

Yes, let the Lithuanians do the converting for you :)

Feedback time

robou I did think that the 'Lithuanian Question' would be answered fairly well in that update - they're another France with brutal travel times and attrition :(

comagoosie The AI can't realistically hurt me now unless I lose control of things - hence my fixation on war exhaustion.

Carinthium Thank you! The trick is to beat the enemy armies, seiges can always be done later. Colonisation is progressing, I've captured quite a few colonies as well. Unfortunately AI spies have been busy, but remember "don't get mad, get even" :D

I don't actually have any spies I just tend to steal other people's colonies in wars - if I get the chance Saxony will get beaten like a ginger stepchild.

merrick Thanks again. Time is pressing but I'm not looking to move East quite yet - probably 1600ish. I doubt I can take out France and Burgundy by then but Burgundy made a mistake going Protestant and they will pay. As long as I only leave one major (France) behind me when I hit Lithuania and Persia I should be OK.

stnylan Absolutely, the 15 or so conversions Lithuania has done are fantastic news for me, I'd rather leave them in peace to keep going but...

Update 29

Update 29

01/04/1573 Trade 7

03/05/1573 Luneberg converts

01/11/1573 Conversion of Lothringen fails

01/01/1574 A whole year of peace but a lot of spy attacks, pirates and native uprisings. I may have to start clearing all natives even in places in Cahokia – 1000 zero aggression natives who should be near perfect for assimilation.

There have been a horde of new advisors, none much use to me but I finally swap my current 2* Theologian for a new 2* Theologian. Among the advisors who’ve been ignored are a 5* Land Tech guy and a 4* Compete Chance guy.

01/03/1574 Trade 8 – I may go for Gov’t 17 despite the ahead of time penalties to get that third missionary.

26/04/1574 Inca Empire declares WAR

War Exhaustion is still 3.30 – I want to end this war quickly.

26/04/1574 Castile declares WAR on Dauphine

Dauphine is a one province protestant minor that rebelled in isolated French territory. France has had no peace since the last war with Castile ended as various isolated provinces have revolted and declared independence.

30/04/1574 Conversion of Cuenca fails

01/07/1574 Gov’t 16

03/08/1574 Dauphine accepts annexation

16/11/1574 Pennyrile converts

08/12/1574 Inca Empire accepts peace, paying 1000 ducats. I grabbed another 5 provinces during the fighting.

War exhaustion has crept up to 3.51. I can’t help thinking I made a mess of this war but I wanted the big payday.

08/01/1575 Mecklenburg declares WAR

09/01/1575 Oldenburg joins Mecklenburg at WAR with Castile

I had to pause and have a good look around the map at this point. Mecklenburg were active in the early colonial rush then were hammered by Burgundy and Saxony in Germany and France both overseas and at home. They appear to have stopped colonising, probably a slider thing as Meck is virtually always wealthy enough.

17/01/1575 Castile declares WAR on Burgundy

18/01/1575 Poland joins Burgundy in a WAR against Castile

While I’m at war I might as well smite down a few more heretics.

03/03/1575 Norway declares WAR

WTF?

03/03/1575 Wurzburg declares WAR in support of Norway

More WTF?

29/03/1575 Poland accepts Peace – They yield Lublin and a pile of claims. This leaves Poland a two province minor with one of those provinces being Sunni Crimea, which borders Uber-Persia so we’ll give that a miss for now.

07/05/1575 Oltenia converts

29/05/1575 Oldenburg accepts annexation

03/07/1575 Wurzburg accepts annexation

06/10/1575 Norway accepts White Peace, I stole their colony on Jamaica

08/11/1575 Morea converts

17/11/1575 Makassar declares war on Burgundy – I wonder why, I’ve not seen Burgundy sending colonists in that direction.

Peace with Mecklenburg

EU3_114.jpg

Meck is now an OPM, still Catholic but the province population is Protestant.

25/04/1576 Auvergne converts

01/08/1576 Gov’t 17 A fifth National Idea, Divine Supremacy for the extra missionary every year. Tech emphasis switches back to Trade.

Peace with Burgundy

EU3_115.jpg

I also seized two colonies, in the provinces that make up Florida.

Stats – 01/09/1576

BadBoy 177.25
War Exhaustion 4.24
Inflation 5.1%
Manpower 162k of 166k max
Reinforcement need 16.329
Census Tax 1202.02
Monthly income 575.9

Political Map of Europe 01/09/1576

EU3_116.jpg

Religious Map of Europe 01/09/1576

EU3_117.jpg

Anything you want to know, just say so.

Last edited:
Thats all looking pretty good, though a land route through Italy would be a good idea.

PrawnStar said:
Anything you want to know, just say so.

When do you reach Japan? :D