• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Xesttub said:
However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an option to pause the game when an advisor is added to the pool. Advisors early are so overpowered and the mechanism for recruiting them is frustrating.

The only problem with this is it gives the human player an overwhelming advantage in getting the best advisers. Might hurt gameplay?

Joe

Chances are there will over-all be more advisors, and it doesn't hurt the AI, since you can only have 3.

But now there is great 'diversity' among what advisors to obtain, and you might end up having a very different game, just depending on advisor choices! 'Great men define a nation'.

Balor said:
Advisors are not meant to SHAPE your country, thats what Ideas & Policies are for. Advisors are for short-term benefits that you do not have 100% control over, but still have choice over.

GAMEwise this may make sense, but historically it doesn't. One of the single most important things a leader does is choose those who will help him govern.

I mean who comes up with all of those national ideas... Not to mention the events that could be generated due to scandal or a truly great statesmen. I personally would love the opportunity to have 7 adviser slots to sway my "empire" in a bit to the left or right... You need all the help you can get taking on France or England... More dynamic, more involvement, deeper game...

I am also in agreement with the mechanism issue when advisers become available. However... Being able to pause, or have the game pause is not a good solution IMHO... It allows the human player the advantage that the AI currently enjoys. I feel the best solution is one already stated, the ability to post an opening and bid for the services of an adviser type. I'd actually like to see a mechanic similar to the bribing of the curia, where your adviser may come to you and give 30 days notice because another country has offered him a better pay package. Perhaps there could be free agents that could leave at will, and restricted free agents that would be similar to the "yours to hire for the next year" advisers that currently spawn.

I understand that this is what the policies and national ideas are for... but the game is in the doing, in the playing. Choosing ONE idea every once in a while versus an active choosing/bidding/shaping by way of advisers provides a much deeper experience.

Lastly... I'm having difficulty with the as you take over the whole world you get less advisers idea. Shouldn't you get more? As the number of people you govern becomes greater... don't the odds of discovering a great thinker or military leader or artist get better? You're already limited to the number of advisers you can have... if you're making alot of great advisers, and you have no home for them, wouldn't another country want them? In fact, wouldn't the fact that you are in essence supporting your enemy by giving him good advisers be a balance in the end game, making your world conquest that little bit harder? Sure, you get the pick of the litter... but you only get the three. I would think it would be a kick to have some smaller nation hold out against you because they have three great advisers... that you spawned for them.

Balor said:
Stop being condescending.

That is the intent. Conquering the world and removing your opponents is supposed to give drawbacks to your options.

He's got a point. There are problems with the advisor system. Probably unchangeable- which is why I suggested upping the numbers of advisors to where it's possible for the player to have some choice.

As for conquering leading to less quality advisors- that really sounds gamey, and I'm sure there are better ways to handicap the player.

One idea I have as an option- blind advisors- you hire an advisor, but neither the AI nor human knows how many stars they are until they hire them. That would solve the problem entirely. Costs to hire would be flattened, maintenance would be based on level still.

Gigalocus said:
And ABSLOLUTLY stunning pictures fo the advisors. I want one as my avatar ;)

good idea :)

we added these 35 nice little images as new avatars for the In Nomine users.

antracer said:
... Perhaps there could be free agents that could leave at will, and restricted free agents that would be similar to the "yours to hire for the next year" advisers that currently spawn. ...

Lastly... I'm having difficulty with the as you take over the whole world you get less advisers idea. Shouldn't you get more? As the number of people you govern becomes greater... don't the odds of discovering a great thinker or military leader or artist get better? ...

To keep the sports metaphor going maybe you should consider the reduction of countries as a reduction of teams and subsequently a reduction of scouting personnel :)

Xesttub said:
You can't get advisors you want from the pool b/c the AI grabs them too quickly. (Add a better mechanism or a pause)

Perhaps some random modifier slowing down the AI, so that players would have a chance to get the advisors they want? E.g. when advisor becomes available there is a period of 0 to 30 days when AI countries can't hire him?

But really, I thnik this "advisors live in tech groups" thing is even worse. It's quite strange, that when I play Poland or Hungary I can't hire a German advisor, while I can hire a Muslim one. IMHO it would be better if the advisers were migrating from one province to another every e.g. 30 days, they would be available for any country owning or bordering this province. What do you think about this?

Or another suggestion: lets say, there are 25 countries in your tech group. So, every 25th advisor that is to become available to everyone, is offered to human player first. This way, AI and human player would have the same chance.

crapmann said:
To keep the sports metaphor going maybe you should consider the reduction of countries as a reduction of teams and subsequently a reduction of scouting personnel :)

True... but the ones that are scouted are the best of the best, meaning killer advisers... 5 and 6 star professionals.

Also, it means farm teams, minor leagues, collegiate, high school, juniors and pee-wees... Consider the little league world series and the caliber of these kids at 11 and 12 years old, or the junior hockey leagues/NCAA players.

GAMEwise, as I said, I can understand why they would cut the number down to keep the big country in check... but I would still rather see the big country having to deal with all those advisers they spawned performing in their capacities in another nations court. The two edged sword of getting too big, so to speak.

Neblogai said:
Or another suggestion: lets say, there are 25 countries in your tech group. So, every 25th advisor that is to become available to everyone, is offered to human player first. This way, AI and human player would have the same chance.

This is kind of what the "advisor arrives in your province" mechanism did. The problem is the main source of advisors is the AI dumping them into the pool. I think the expansion is locked and the devs don't seem to want to fix this despite the pretty universal desire.

mandead said:
Cool! :D

When will you show off our lovely new portcullis icon, Johan?

(it better be a portcullis!) :mad:

:p

Nope, its a Pope hat :cool:

I always thought a good solution to the advisor problem was for there to be a 1-3 month waiting period between them arriving in the public pool and the AI being able to hire them. You could say that they're in a period of unemployment after their previous job, or traveling between courts. It gives the human player a window to make an offer on them.

The combined woes of choosing the cardinal's hat over my idea of a portcullis and the fact Gamer's Gate won't accept my debit card have all but broken me as a person. From this day forward, I shall ne'er purchase another Paradox game. Indeed, I shall ne'er purchase anything else so long as I live. I intend to live the life of a pirate, sailing the seven seas of illegality, drinking flat coke, eating microwavable burgers and downloading as many Slade records as I can - FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111 :cool:

Mind you, if I can get PayPal working I'll get In Nomine first, just to cement my break from Paradox. Hmm, then there's the possibility of further new releases... :confused:

Sod it, I'm back on board! :D

*cheers all round*

Absolutely awesome stuff!

But where is the "Arch Bishop" or "Master Jesuit" or whatever that increases the ability/success rate (increases possibility of fast success for your permanent missionaries)?

How about this: If a country gets annexed, its advisors "respawn" in some countries being available there exclusively for a while, much like new advisors. The chosen countries could be totally random or follow more advanced logic like a weighting towards neighbors, countries with good relations and religion. Sounds far better to me than either the AI having a free pick or the player with his hand on the pause.

There are some other kniggles with the advisor system. Can't say I'm fond with the number being unrelated to the number of provinces.

Suggestion: Number of advisors is related to but not linearly proportional to number of provinces. You get more advisors with more provinces, but with diminishing returns. It could also be affected by other factors, like DP sliders and ideas. Hey, make it scriptable!

Major Dølje said:
Absolutely awesome stuff!

But where is the "Arch Bishop" or "Master Jesuit" or whatever that increases the ability/success rate (increases possibility of fast success for your permanent missionaries)?

Inquisitor :D :cool: I suppose the existing advisor may have been rebalanced a bit to take the new system into account.

Araanor said:
Suggestion: Number of advisors is related to but not linearly proportional to number of provinces. You get more advisors with more provinces, but with diminishing returns. It could also be affected by other factors, like DP sliders and ideas. Hey, make it scriptable!

For a while I was under the mistaken impression that "Patron of the Arts" increased the chances for Great Artists to appear in your country :p .

Ideas influencing the individuals that appear in your country is a great idea - if your country has National Bank, Shrewd Commerce and Smithian Economics, treasurers should be more likely to show up than, say, theologians.