• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My main beef with advisors is that it's nigh on impossible to get good advisors after the first 5 seconds of the game. Otherwise they're immediately snatched up by the AI who know they're there.

Your only chance of ever getting good ones is to wait until they spawn in your territory.

Balor said:
Thats the design.

As you get more and more monolithic and a bigger empire, there is supposed to be far less advisors available.
I appreciate the response. I think most people would say it "doesn't make sense" that the amount of advisors across europe would go down. Especially to where once you conquer all of europe you have effectively no advisors. And now that we have double/triple the amount of advisor types, and the same pool size. it will be even more extreme.

Also is the recruitment of advisors still going to be difficult, since the AI can instantly grab them? Or was this mechanism fixed.

Last edited:
But will we now be able to get more than 3 advisors?
A huge empire, getting some advisors yearly, but only three have a place in court? :wacko:

Enewald said:
But will we now be able to get more than 3 advisors?
A huge empire, getting some advisors yearly, but only three have a place in court? :wacko:

It's an balancing issue. Large nations are powerfull enough.... But something must be done with the human players possibilities in getting advisors....

I understand that there are not, but I really wish there were more advisor slots, and therefore more advisors. An increase to 5, atleast, if not 6 or more. 6 is what I would ask for. A full court of 10 or something might get a bit too large. It would allow you to truely define your nation in part by your advisors, taking 4-5 colonial advisors, to match your colonization ideas, and really run out ahead in that area.

I also agreed with the person talking about the lack of advisors when the countries reach low numbers. I understand that it is working as intended, but I wish it was a bit more forgiving. If you are the only country in your tech group there are only 3-4 advisors left. If there were a minimum, say 10 advisors, for each tech group, that would be tremendously helpful.

Nice, another sneakpeak already :D

I've mentioned it before, but I'd much rather it was revised so the current semi-random system only applied to 3-star and better advisors; and you had the ablity to purchase ('recruit') one and two-star advisors of any type you want, at will.

I can't see much benefit in having 20+ types of advisor if the chance of getting any particular one is almost entirely random. You can't shape your nation according to your desired strategy if all you can do is wait 20 years then get a random military advisor of the wrong type spawning in one of your provinces...

StephenT said:
I've mentioned it before, but I'd much rather it was revised so the current semi-random system only applied to 3-star and better advisors; and you had the ablity to purchase ('recruit') one and two-star advisors of any type you want, at will.

I can't see much benefit in having 20+ types of advisor if the chance of getting any particular one is almost entirely random. You can't shape your nation according to your desired strategy if all you can do is wait 20 years then get a random military advisor of the wrong type spawning in one of your provinces...

I like the idea of recruiting an advisor. Maybe a wishlist thing for the next patch. A recruitment call where you pay a certain amount of money per month to attract an advisor. Similar to the way missionaries are going to work in IN.

To carry the idea further, maybe assign percentage chances in each province that a particular kind of advisor might be recruited based on improvements, pop etc and then recruit in that province.

I was hoping they'd just increase the amount of advisors period- that would help the human out.

5 and 6 star advisors should stay rare as hell
4 stars bumped up a bit
2 and 3 stars bumped up a lot
1 stars should be fairly universtal whatever you want

Maybe there should be an event where an advisor becomes more competent, gaining a star, or less competent due to insanity- causing a collapse.

Still hoping temporary insanity of the monarch is back in.

StephenT said:

Advisors are not meant to SHAPE your country, thats what Ideas & Policies are for. Advisors are for short-term benefits that you do not have 100% control over, but still have choice over.

Balor said:
Advisors are not meant to SHAPE your country, thats what Ideas & Policies are for. Advisors are for short-term benefits that you do not have 100% control over, but still have choice over.
The problem is you don't actually have a choice because of the two problems that are apparent to everyone who has played the game.

You can't get advisors you want from the pool b/c the AI grabs them too quickly. (Add a better mechanism or a pause)

If you do conquer your tech group, there are no advisors left in the pool. At the very least make the minimum amount in the pool 10.

Heh, I´m just back home after visiting a pub in a good mood. And what could I see is new sneakpeak. I was scared for a while that another wednesday is here, which would mean big problms with job deadlines.. :eek:

Let me just say, that this new advisor graphics look very good, giving right "period feeling." Good work.

Xesttub said:
The problem is you don't actually have a choice because of the two problems that are apparent to everyone who has played the game.

Stop being condescending.

Xesttub said:
You can't get advisors you want from the pool b/c the AI grabs them too quickly. (Add a better mechanism or a pause)

Which is relevant if you play a small state of up to 5 provinces. When you play for longer time, at an average sized country, you tend to end up with quite alot of advisors constantly appearing in your country.

My caveat; I tend to play countries like England, Burgundy, Milan, Muscowy etc...

Xesttub said:
If you do conquer your tech group, there are no advisors left in the pool. At the very least make the minimum amount in the pool 10.

That is the intent. Conquering the world and removing your opponents is supposed to give drawbacks to your options.

more stuff to mod :D :(

Balor said:
Stop being condescending.
I'm sorry you took it as condescending, it was meant to be a summary of the previous few pages of the thread, and many other threads on this topic.

Balor said:
Which is relevant if you play a small state of up to 5 provinces. When you play for longer time, at an average sized country, you tend to end up with quite alot of advisors constantly appearing in your country.

My caveat; I tend to play countries like England, Burgundy, Milan, Muscowy etc...
There are multiple threads saying to "pause on annexes" to try to get good advisors. Using this and other "workarounds" you can get decent advisors as long as you don't do a conquest game, i agree. But now you're adding 2x/3x more advisor types, so you will have even more unwanted advisors and the same size pool. This will result in worse advisors and further curtailed choices.

Balor said:
That is the intent. Conquering the world and removing your opponents is supposed to give drawbacks to your options.
Honestly I don't think it was intended to be this severe. If 3 +1 Missionary Chance advisors is really the intended Advisor pool, so be it.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an option to pause the game when an advisor is added to the pool. Advisors early are so overpowered and the mechanism for recruiting them is frustrating.

It looks more and more intresting.

One thing; since Sweden has a colony at the start of the game, does it mean they can get colonial govenors from the start, or are they only for colonies in certain parts of the world?

With each new sneak peek IN looks more and more like pure awesomeness wrapped in even more awesomeness.

Would be possible to make advisors pictures vary between tech groups? Or at least have a way for the modders to be able to do so? It could be really great and make the game even more interesting from the purely graphical point.

Anyway, can't way for the release.