• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eber said:
Nice trailer, very dramatic music! ;)

Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks for the compliment on the trailer. I'm really proud of that one!

The next update will come very soon... :D

Fiftypence said:
Good story, very enjoyable so far. The fate of the lost tribes is a fascinating topic.
Thankyou, Fiftypence! It is indeed. It has been a topic that has captured my imagination since I was a child, and now I at last have an outlet for all that wondering. :cool:

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER VII – The Offer

Most of the next day was spent traveling. Again, there was very little conversation. Ahaz was deep in thought, decided what he would say to the Tyrant of Kerkinitis when he arrived. Ezra knew only the most basic words in Greek, enough to communicate when necessary, but not nearly enough to converse with the Greeks. Jehu was busy thinking about everything that he had spoken about with Nikodemos last night.

As they drew closer to the city, they saw more and more farms. At first, the land had been only sparsely populated, but now that they were only half a day’s march from Kerkinitis, the populations began to grow. People felt safer the closer they were to their polis and its mighty walls.

At one point, the road they were following ceased to be a dirt path and suddenly became a paved road of stone. Jehu had never before seen such a thing in his life, and became very excited at the sight. “Do roads like this exist in many places?” he asked Nikodemos.

The Greek laughed pleasantly, and replied, “Indeed, my friend. Many countries build such roads. They are far easier to travel upon, especially wheeled vehicles such as wagons and carts. In some countries, there are even larger roads called ‘highways’, which can support much more traffic. But highways are very expensive to build and maintain, and there are only a handful of them in the entire world. The greatest highway in the world is the ‘Persian Royal Road’, which was built hundreds of years ago by the mighty Persian Empire. Now the Seleukidae control it and use it to support their Empire.”

“Wow…” was all Jehu could say. He was completely in awe at the sights of civilization that were so new to him.

“Just wait until you reach the polis, Jehu,” said Nikodemos. “All the wonders I told you about last night are there, and more. What you see there will make this road seem as nothing.”

Ahaz and Ezra were not as excited as Jehu, because they had seen such sights years before, in the Greek polis of Tanais. For them, the paved roads and other signs of civilization brought back many memories, both joyful and painful.

It was early evening when Kerkinitis at last came into view. Jehu gasped with excitement, “It really is like you said, Nikodemos! Look at those walls! They are so high! I’ve never seen anything like it!”

City1.jpg

Kerkinitis and Its Surroundings​

When they reached the gate, the sun was setting. The sentries at the gate halted the small group of travelers and said, “Stand and declare thyself!”

Nikodemos stepped forward and said, “I am Lochagos Nikodemos. I have with me a special guest for our Tyrant, Iason. He is Chief Ahaz of the Hebrews.”

The guard said, “You are early, Lochagos. We did not expect you back for at least two more days.”

“As I said,” was the reply, “I have with me a special guest for the Tyrant. It would be rude to keep Chief Ahaz waiting.”

“We must search the Chief, and his two companions, before they can enter. If they pass the search, you may bring them into the polis.”

Nikodemos nodded, and turned to Ahaz, “Is this acceptable?”

Ahaz smiled, “Ofcourse. We have nothing to hide.”

The search was conducted, and indeed, all three of the Hebrews passed. The guard saluted Nikodemos and said, “You may bring them into the polis.”

Nikodemos returned the salute and signaled for the group to follow him through the gates.

As they began to move, the guard called back to Nikodemos, “Lochagos! Welcome back!”

Nikodemos nodded to him and continued walking.

Nikodemos brought them into the court of the Tyrant, who was sitting on a throne like a king. Unlike a king, however, Iason did not wear a crown. Rather, only a golden band adorned his head. He wore a white tunic, which was decorated at the ends with the symbols of Kerkinitis. Over his tunic, he wore the Greek military cape, the chlamys. On his feet were leather buskins.

The Tyrant rose from his throne and said, “Nikodemos, my friend! You are early! And you have guests? Who is it you have brought to see me?”

Nikodemos bowed, and motioned for the others to do the same. When they rose again, he said, “My Tyrant, may I present to you Ahaz, Chief of the Hebrews.”

“Ahaz. I know that name. Tell me, chief, have you ever been to Tanais?” asked the Tyrant.

“I have, sir,” replied Ahaz.

Iason smiled, “I thought I remembered your name from a message I received from Tanais years ago. Anyone who is welcomed in Tanais is welcomed in Kerkinitis. Tell me, Chief Ahaz, what can I do for you?”

“My people have wandered the steppes of Sarmatia for the past forty years, and we have at last grown weary of our wanderings. We have decided to seek shelter near Cherson, but in order to reach there, we must pass through your territory. I request permission for my people and I to use your roads to travel to Cherson. We have with us supplies enough to feed ourselves, and we ask not for anything but permission to travel.”

“You may have it,” said Iason. “But I would advise against going to Cherson. I have heard that the Bosporan Kingdom has had its eye on Cherson for many years now. The Chersonesians will probably ask for your military aid against the Bosporans. While we, too, would make such a request, in Cherson you and your people will be used as expendables, and your women and children as bartering tools. I will do no such thing. You are welcome to stay here, if you wish. We are much in need of farmers. If you decide to stay with us, I will grant you and your people enough land to live on. In return I ask for only 30% of your crops, as well as 10% of your income from selling what remains. I also ask that you fight for us if needed, but we will treat you and your people as equals here in Kerkinitis, and will not throw your lives away as I fear they will do in Cherson.”

“Your offer is generous, O Tyrant. But I gave my word to my people that we would go to Cherson. Let me speak with the leader of Cherson first, and hear his offer. Only when I have had an opportunity to weigh both offers will I make a decision,” said Ahaz.

“As you wish,” replied the Tyrant. “But in either case, let there be friendship between the Kerkinitians and the Hebrews. And to celebrate this friendship, let us feast on the day after tomorrow! Nikodemos, you will arrange for a place for our honoured guests to stay. Tomorrow you will show them our beloved polis and the day after we shall feast. Then you will lead them back to their people.”

The six bowed and left the court. As they walked to the place in which the Hebrew guests would be staying, Ahaz asked Nikodemos, “Why would the Chersonesians treat us with such disdain if you here in Kerkinitis do not?”

“It is a matter of culture,” replied Nikodemos. “Here in the Krimea, the colonies remain closely tied to the culture of our parent cities. Cherson and many other colonies were founded by Hellenes from the Hellas proper, and so are very xenophobic, like their ancestors. The people of Hellas look down upon all non-Hellenes as ‘barbarians’. They even look down upon some of their less ‘civilized’ Hellenic brethren, such as the Makedonians and the Epeirotes, as barbarians as well.”

“But you do not?” asked Ahaz.

The Greek answered, “We are descended from the Milesians, the people of Miletus. Miletus is a Hellenic polis in Asia. The Hellenes of Asia have lived with ‘barbarians’ since the beginning, and know them better. Though most Asiatic Hellenes are still not completely welcoming to foreigners, they do not look down on them with as much contempt as ‘proper’ Hellenes. Also, the Asiatic poleis tend to follow the dream of Megas Alexandros, a world where men are not discriminated against because of race or creed. This is especially true amongst the realms of the Diadochi, the Successors to Alexandros’ Empire, the Seleukidae and the Ptolemaioi, chiefly. Here in Kerkinitis, we also believe in the dream of Megas Alexandros. While to the Chersonesians you will be ‘barbarians’, and little better than animals, because you are not Hellenes and because you do not worship our gods, here in Kerkinitis we see that despite your lack of Hellenic blood and despite your worship of one God, you are men just like us. There is no reason to treat you as inferiors on such a basis as that.”

“That is a very reasonable outlook,” replied Ahaz. “You have nearly won me over to settling with Kerkinitis. But I still want to hear what Cherson has to offer before I accept Iason’s offer.”

“That is understandable,” said Nikodemos. “Ah, here we are. This is my home. Now that the sun has set you can’t see much, but tomorrow you will see that it is a nice home. Nothing too fancy, but it is fitting for an officer of the army. I will arrange for my slaves to prepare a hot bath and a room for you.”

“Thankyou,” said Ahaz.

The Hebrews followed their friend into his house and enjoyed quiet relaxation for the first time in their lives…

Kerkinitis seems very peaceful but sounds a little too perfect in my opinion. Something is up the tyrant's sleeve I bet. Cherson is becoming a little dangerous sounding, but hey the Hebrews can take it! Great update!

It does rather start one suspecting something underhand doesn't it?

Awwies... still no kingdom. But let the exodus continue. Maybe soon they shall find peace, if not in Cherson nor in Kerknitis.... :)
Soon settle down?

and I still wonder how they got there...

crusaderknight: ...“Ahaz. I know that name. Tell me, chief, have you ever been to Tanais?” asked the Tyrant. .. “I have, sir,” replied Ahaz.

our Tyrant has a good memory ! ! :)

crusaderknight:
...The Hebrews followed their friend into his house and enjoyed quiet relaxation for the first time in their lives…

this just may decide where Ahaz settles his people (meaning the difference between how each "city" [privately] treats Ahaz and company.) :D

awesome AAR ! !
:cool: i'm in !

Enewald: ...if not in Cherson nor in Kerknitis...

IIRC, the Hebrews end up in Britain.

stnylan: It does rather start one suspecting something underhand doesn't it?

not to mention that the trailer mentions... hmmm. oh, something ! ! ;)

Eber said:
Kerkinitis seems very peaceful but sounds a little too perfect in my opinion. Something is up the tyrant's sleeve I bet. Cherson is becoming a little dangerous sounding, but hey the Hebrews can take it! Great update!
I'm glad you liked the update so much! Yes, the tyrant does seem a little suspicious, doesn't he? But at this point we can't know for sure if he is planning something, or if he really is this altruistic...

stnylan said:
It does rather start one suspecting something underhand doesn't it?
Indeed it does. But suspicions are not always correct... though sometimes they are...

Enewald said:
Awwies... still no kingdom. But let the exodus continue. Maybe soon they shall find peace, if not in Cherson nor in Kerknitis.... :)
Soon settle down?

and I still wonder how they got there...
The Kingdom is still many years away. But don't worry, though it is a long story, I promise you that Book I will explain how they got there. Remember, good things come to those who wait... :)

GhostWriter said:
crusaderknight: ...“Ahaz. I know that name. Tell me, chief, have you ever been to Tanais?” asked the Tyrant. .. “I have, sir,” replied Ahaz.

our Tyrant has a good memory ! ! :)

crusaderknight:
...The Hebrews followed their friend into his house and enjoyed quiet relaxation for the first time in their lives…

this just may decide where Ahaz settles his people (meaning the difference between how each "city" [privately] treats Ahaz and company.) :D

awesome AAR ! !
:cool: i'm in !

Enewald: ...if not in Cherson nor in Kerknitis...

IIRC, the Hebrews end up in Britain.

stnylan: It does rather start one suspecting something underhand doesn't it?

not to mention that the trailer mentions... hmmm. oh, something ! ! ;)
I'm glad you're liking the AAR so far, GhostWriter. :cool:

You are very insightful. The manner in which the cities treat Ahaz and his companions will indeed be a big factor (though not the only one) in determining where he will settle down...

And yes, the trailer does mention treason. But it did not say who the traitor(s) was(were)... :eek:

JakethX said:
Some people have way too much time on thier hands, but its good anyway
Lol. I'm glad you like my story, JakethX. :)

gis said:
Wow! Too bad I don't know Greek, or else I would have done the same thing with these convorastions :p .
That would indeed be interesting, gis.

By the way, you made me think of "The Passion of the Christ" when you said that you translated the earlier conversations into Hebrew. I liked how Mel Gibson had the characters all speak in the actual languages and only used subtitles for us to know what they were saying. It makes the movie so much more authentic. If this AAR had audio (not saying that it ever will, that's a bit beyond my expertise), I would probably do the same thing. You would hear the conversations in the language they're being spoken in, but you could read them in English. :cool:

To all my readAARs. I was hoping to have the next chapter up later tonight, but some things have come up and I'm not sure if I can get it done tonight. But if I don't end up posting it tonight, I will post it tomorrow. :cool:

BOOK I
The Second Exodus
Book1.jpg

CHAPTER VIII – Guests in Kerkinitis

Nikodemos led his Hebrew guests through his house to the bath chambers. The first room they entered was somewhat large. It could easily fit twenty people comfortably. Nikodemos explained that this was where parties were held.

Along the walls were couches, and in the corners were statues of different Greek gods. Though Jehu and Ezra did not recognize them, having never been taught much about the pagan gods, Ahaz knew them well. He had been a mere youth when his father had led the people out of Persia, but he knew all about the Persian god Ahura Mazda, and about the Greek gods. He saw Ares, the god of war in one corner. In another was Apollo, the sun god. In a third corner was Eros, the god of love. Last but not least, Ahaz noticed in the fourth corner a statue of Zeus, king of the gods. He shook his head at these pagan displays. He thought to himself, “Gods made in the image of Man are no gods at all.”

They then entered a small hallway. They passed by some doors, and Nikodemos explained what each door was, “Here is where our slaves sleep. There are four slaves in my household. Not that many, I know, but I am only a Lochagos, and I cannot afford too many.” He did not seem to notice the Hebrews cringe at the use of the word “slave”. Their people had been slaves for enough of their history. They knew well what slavery meant for the slaves.

The Greek continued on, completely oblivious, “This next door leads to the kitchen. Ah, we’re rounding the corner now. To your right, that’s where my wife and I sleep. Best keep quiet, she’s probably sleeping right now. What a pleasant surprise she shall wake up to in the morning,” he said, looking back at his guests and winking.

“Over there is where my son, Petros, sleeps. We don’t want to wake him, either. He’s about your age, Jehu. I think the two of you will get along well. Ah, here is where you’ll be sleeping. I hope the accommodations will be pleasing. But there will be time to look at your room later. See that door at the end of the hall? That’s the bath. Right this way!”

The Hebrews followed their host into the bath house. It was small, being only a private bath. But the pool could comfortably seat six. Nikodemos said that elsewhere in the city were public baths which could seat hundreds at a time. The bath did indeed look pleasant. Warm steam rose up from the water and invited the men in.

A young slave girl entered the room, and Nikodemos held out his arms as she undressed him, taking off the various articles of clothing he was wearing. But she never dared to look upon her master’s body. That was death.

She then went over to Ahaz, and was about to take his clothes as well, when he recoiled from her. She blinked in confusion at him. Didn’t he want to bathe as well?

Nikodemos turned around to his guests, and the three Hebrews turned red with embarrassment as their host stood before them completely naked. “What’s the matter?” he asked.

Ahaz took a moment to regain his composure, cleared his throat, and replied, “Nikodemos, our people have laws which forbid public nudity. This situation is very uncomfortable for us.”

The Greek took a moment to absorb what he had been told, then he said, “I apologize. A host should always make his guests feel welcome, not uncomfortable. We can bathe in loin cloths.” He snapped his fingers and the slave girl put his loin cloth back on. He then looked back to the Hebrews, who no longer looked so distraught, and said, “Shall I have her leave the room?”

“That would be best,” replied Ahaz.

Nikodemos motioned for the girl to leave, and she instantly obeyed. Once she had left, the Hebrews removed their clothes, keeping their loin cloths on, however. The four men then entered the steamy water. Oh how good it felt! Their bodies melted with comfort, and they all breathed a sigh of relaxation.

Ezra said, “I have never felt so at ease in my entire life!”

Their Greek host laughed with joy and said, “This is nothing. Were Larissa, the slave girl, still in here, she would be scooping the water into a cup and running it down our heads and backs. She is also very good with massages. That’s what really makes the baths worth it! But, alas, if your customs forbid such things, we shall simply enjoy the warm steam.”

For a moment, all the men were silent, simply enjoying the pleasant warmth. For the moment, the Hebrews forgot about their people who were two days away, sleeping on hard ground right now with the wind blowing in their tents. All that mattered, all they were aware of, was this comfortable steam bath.

Jehu was the next to speak up, “Tomorrow are we going to see the city?”

“Indeed we are, Jehu,” said Nikodemos. “Remember all the wonders I told you about last night? Tomorrow you shall see them with your own eyes!”

After the bath, the men dried off, put their clothes back on, and bade each other good-night. Nikodemos went to sleep with his wife, and Larissa showed the Hebrews to their room. She showed them their beds, which were already turned down and ready for them to sleep in. Then she bowed, and left.

Ahaz closed the door behind her, and had Jehu go to bed. He told Ezra to sit down, and he sat down with him and whispered, “What do you think so far?”

Ezra replied, equally as soft, “Well, they are very different from us, sir. Did you see how that slave girl undressed him completely, and yet neither he nor she seemed the least bit uncomfortable? That girl could not be older than Jehu. It is disgusting.”

“Most men of the world do not share our people’s sense of modesty, Ezra,” said Ahaz. “For the Greeks, there is nothing shameful about the human body. We do not see shame in it, per se, but it can lead us to disobey the commands of Adonai, which is why our laws forbid such things. But before we judge them, let us remember that they do not worship Adonai as we do, nor do they abide by His Laws as we do. Were they Hebrews like us, this would be an entirely different situation. As it stands, we should be thankful that Nikodemos was understanding enough to bathe in a manner acceptable to us. I am sure it was not what he was used to, nor what was most comfortable for him.”

“You are correct there,” said Ezra. “Nikodemos is a good man. But Iason… he did not strike me as the same type of honest fellow as our host.”

“So you felt it, too?” asked Ahaz. “Good. I was hoping I was not the only one who was made uncomfortable by the Tyrant. I was surprised he knew who I was. Our visit in Tanais all those years ago was brief…” The Chief did not go on. He did not want to relive the painful memories associated with Tanais.

“Plus, his offer seems too good to be true,” Ezra said. “But, he seemed to be honest in his opinion of Cherson. He certainly does not trust the Chersonesians, and I believe we should be wary of them, too.”

“You are right about the Tyrant’s offer, Ezra. There’s a lesson the Trojans learned a thousand years ago: ‘Beware Greeks bearing gifts’. Iason’s offer seems too much like a gift. I don’t trust it.”

“So you suspect something underhanded from Iason?” asked Ezra.

The Chief nodded, “Yes.”

“Do you think Nikodemos has anything to do with it?”

“No,” said Ahaz. “As you said, he is a good, honest fellow. I do not believe he even suspects the Tyrant like we do. Remember what he told us about Alexander’s dream? I do not doubt that Nikodemos believes in it. But I am not so sure the rest of the Kerkinitians are as altruistic as he is.”

“But,” said Ezra, “what do you think of Iason’s evaluation of Cherson?”

“That is difficult,” replied Ahaz, “It could stem merely from some rivalry. His distrust could be prejudice. However, it could be well deserved as well. It sounds like we are choiced with two evils here, Kerkinitis or Cherson. Which is the lesser evil is yet to be determined.”

“So you are intent on settling here in the Krimea, then?”

“I am. There is no other safe place for us.”

“But is it safe here?”

Ahaz nodded grimly, “Safe as we shall ever hope to find, yes. I am aware of the struggles between city-states like Kerkinitis and Cherson. And to the east is the Imperialistic Bosporan Kingdom. That means that the Krimea will not be perfectly safe. But it will be safer than Sarmatia. The Skythians and the Rhoxolani are merciless. To the west are even more barbaric tribes. At least these Greeks will behave in a civilized, albeit pagan, manner.”

“Perhaps we should settle with the Bosporans, then? They are the greatest power in this region. Would we not find the most safety with them?” asked Ezra.

“That is out of the question. They have refused us before, after our first encounter with the Skythians. Long before you were born. That was when my father fell, and the task of leading our people fell to me, a mere teenager then. I asked the help of the Bosporan King and he refused me. We wandered forty years because of his callused refusal of our plight. I will not come crawling back now like some beggar. We will settle with either Kerkinitis or Cherson.”

Ezra nodded. Ahaz had decided, that was the end of the matter. He would trust Ahaz’s wisdom. He always had. Ahaz had led the people for all of Ezra’s life, and never once had he steered them wrong. Where Ahaz stood, Ezra would stand, too.

“Well,” said Ahaz, “we should get some sleep. Nikodemos plans to give us a tour of as much of the city as possible tomorrow. We will need our rest.”

Ezra nodded, “Indeed.”

They said a quick prayer to Adonai, thanking Him for their new friend, Nikodemos, and asking Him to bless the Greek and his household. Then they got in their beds, and tried to sleep. But they were so used to sleeping on the hard ground that a bed did not feel right. At last, they pulled the pillows and blankets from the beds, and lay down on the floors, and slept peacefully…

Last edited:
Well, at least they seem properly distrustful of any largesse.

Great update! I really like the bath scene and the awkwardness of the girl and the Jews. :)

I wonder if they will be impressed with the city in the morning or not...

Enewald said:
Uhuh... baths... so you will settle on Crimea?
Or something goes wrong?

Nice update, as always. :)
You'll have to wait and see which of your guesses comes true. (Perhaps it could be both... or neither)

Thanks for the compliment! I'm really trying to use everything I have learned, both from the novels I have read and from the great narrative AARs I have read. :cool:

stnylan said:
Well, at least they seem properly distrustful of any largesse.
Distrustful indeed. If their suspicions are correct, then it is good they are so distrustful. But if they are wrong, then perhaps they are making a mistake...

etycaj said:
I suspect something very bad is going to happen soon. :(
No comment just yet. :)

Eber said:
Great update! I really like the bath scene and the awkwardness of the girl and the Jews. :)

I wonder if they will be impressed with the city in the morning or not...
Thanks for the compliment, Eber! I'm glad you liked the bath scene. I worked hard to get the awkwardness just right. I wanted that scene (including the earlier part where Ahaz was noticing the statues of the gods) to display the stark contrasts between the ancient Hebrew and Greek societies.

To all my readAARs, I have a question to ask you. It occured to me last night that at this rate, it will take a long time to get to the actual start of the game, as we are still 14 years before game start at this point. Now, at present, my chapters are only about 4 or 5 pages long in Microsoft Word. If you guys want, I could put two chapters worth of story into one chapter from now on. Technically it won't make the story any shorter, but it will decrease the number of chapters required to tell the story, as I'll be telling 8 to 10 pages of story per chapter instead of 4 to 5. I don't know if that would make the chapters too long or not, so I want your opinions. Whatever you decide, I will go with. :cool:

crusaderknight said:
You'll have to wait and see which of your guesses comes true. (Perhaps it could be both... or neither)

Thanks for the compliment! I'm really trying to use everything I have learned, both from the novels I have read and from the great narrative AARs I have read. :cool:

Distrustful indeed. If their suspicions are correct, then it is good they are so distrustful. But if they are wrong, then perhaps they are making a mistake...

No comment just yet. :)

Thanks for the compliment, Eber! I'm glad you liked the bath scene. I worked hard to get the awkwardness just right. I wanted that scene (including the earlier part where Ahaz was noticing the statues of the gods) to display the stark contrasts between the ancient Hebrew and Greek societies.

To all my readAARs, I have a question to ask you. It occured to me last night that at this rate, it will take a long time to get to the actual start of the game, as we are still 14 years before game start at this point. Now, at present, my chapters are only about 4 or 5 pages long in Microsoft Word. If you guys want, I could put two chapters worth of story into one chapter from now on. Technically it won't make the story any shorter, but it will decrease the number of chapters required to tell the story, as I'll be telling 8 to 10 pages of story per chapter instead of 4 to 5. I don't know if that would make the chapters too long or not, so I want your opinions. Whatever you decide, I will go with. :cool:
I'd very much like that, :cool:

I actually like the current length right now. Doubling the length, ultimately will be fine but in my opinion it is rather comfortable read right now. I don't mind waiting for the gameplay to start. Yet, I've always been a sucker for Prologues. ;)

Enewald said:
I like the current length of those chapters.
But if it brings the beginning of the game any closer, fine for me.
etycaj said:
I'd very much like that, :cool:
Eber said:
I actually like the current length right now. Doubling the length, ultimately will be fine but in my opinion it is rather comfortable read right now. I don't mind waiting for the gameplay to start. Yet, I've always been a sucker for Prologues. ;)
Okay, here's the gameplan I've come up with. I will experiment with writing 8 to 10 page chapters. The next three chapters will be 8 to 10 pages long. We'll see what all of you, my wonderful readAARs, think of the longer format, and we'll see if any unforseen factors affect things as well, and after the next three chapters, we'll figure out what to do next. I will get started on the next chapter tomorrow (Monday), and should have it up by Tuesday, or worst case scenario, Wednesday. :cool: