• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It does appear that there are other Loyalist Legions in Rome and Umbria. Are they a real threat? Where is the Loyalist fleet(s) - if you know?

i'm in ! ! :cool:

Now that was a very nice first battle, but I fear this might actually be trick. The Senate and Pompeius has sent forward a smaller force to make you believe that they have few forces left and then as you march on Rome confident on victory they will march in behind your lines and encircle your forces… or it might be that the Senate actually are fighting badly and that it will be a quick victory in Italy. As for the rest of the empire I am thinking the war might turn out to last for a long time indeed…

There's no way I'm going to miss this, since I like your writing style and I also happen to like Caesar, whose writings are inspiring and written in eloquent Latin.

In on the relative ground floor. Will Renss sell another game to me? Will he start getting commissions on the sales?

Vann

Well, I just looked to see how long it's been since I did feedback in this thread, and...

I've never done feedback in this thread! :eek:

They say parents forget the names of their children (or cats) when they have more than 2 (we have 7, combined). So, I guess now that I have more than 2 active AARs running... :rolleyes:

To avoid absurd repetition, I shall now WELCOME ALL OF YOU!!! Corporately. :D

Capibara said:
Great to see you start a Rome AAR, specially, as you said, since you're the author of the guide. It's also an interesting period to play in. Good luck!
Thanks! It is a very interesting period. I did quite a bit of period research for the game, and found it fascinating.

rasmus40 said:
This is a very exciting scenario, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the rebels.

I'll be following this one for sure.

Be sure to fix the research bug before you play too far in the game.
Forgot about that research bug. I'll try upgrading to 1.2 tonight, or so... I agree it should be exciting. As I mentioned, Comagoosie has a similar setup, but I was surprised no one seems to have started with the 705 scenario before me (Comagoosie started in 696, I think...)!

Yoshino said:
Wow! Roman civil war AAR!
I can't wait to next update.
good luck!
Thanks!

Encarta98 said:
This should be very interesting - was thinking of playing this scenario next myself!

One thing though - some of the starting character stats seem quite strange! 18 year old Salvidienus Rufus is more popular than Caesar? Mark Antony has mediocre martial stat (6) and mediocre charisma (6)? Much like Hannibal not being a particularly good general in the 2nd Punic War scenario. Obviously there could be much debate about the 'real life stats' of historical figures, but it seems a strange decision if only from a game perspective!

Nonetheless, good luck! (though I am a Republican at heart )
I think there's some randomness in the initial stats, except perhaps for historic characters. Actually, from my research, Mark Antony didn't strike me as that stellar a general. Nor as a very likeable guy, either. Thanks!

rhynoclemmis said:
Got no time to read this right now, but I expect the same Rensslaer quality-work I'm used to. Subscribed!
Great to have you along! Thank you!

English Patriot said:
I'm very interested to see how a cavalry centred Rome army will work out!
I'm very interested to get to really try it out, too. Much of my previous play has been either infantry centered, or in earlier scenarios.

Alexey Romanov said:
And Caesar is only 50% loyal! Will he switch sides soon? :eek:
Half of me wonders if that was designed, because after all... he DID just switch sides! In fact, he's the archetype for the general getting too big for his britches, and revolting against the civil authority! I trust his loyalty will improve with time...

stnylan said:
It will be good to see what you can do with Caesar.
Thanks! Great to see you, Lewis!

Lord E said:
Nice starts. It shall be interesting to read a Roman AAR from you and the Roman Civil War scenario is very cool and gives you a lot of challenges and I think it will be a hard war. Still I am sure Caesar will do well so this shall be very interesting to follow
I think it will be a BEAR of a war! And doubtless will provide many of the challenges and cliffhangers I enjoy playing, and you enjoy reading about!

Nikolai said:
Looking forward to the ride, Rensslaer.
Nikolai! Great to have you along! If I recall, you used to have a Turkish hat, yes? Wow. Back in the day! lol

comagoosie said:
*blushing* thanks for the recommendation *end blushing*

Great setup with an awesome quote, can't have caesar's civil war without that.

Good luck, I haven't played this scenario, so let's see how things turn out!
Most welcome! You're doing great work, and I'm hoping to be able to keep up with it! Yes, the quote is as iconic as it is controversial. It sounds like something he would say, though...

WhisperingDeath said:
After recently re-watching some of the Rome miniseries from HBO I am psyched to see this scenario. Hopefully you will have a Lucius Vorenus in the XIII Legion! Subscribed!
I actually watched the first season (for the 1st time) as part of my research for the game. Quite well done, I thought! I had to fend the librarians off, as it took me a while to find time to watch, and they were scratching at my door... Someone reminded me later I could have just used Netflix...

stnylan said:
You will certainly want to take as much land as quickly as possible to boost your logistics.
Indeed, though I am quite sure I'll be scrambling from one life-or-death struggle to the next far more often, in these early days, than I have any opportunity to take land...

The Patrician said:
I wonder if you'll end up having to chase the loyalist forces all across the Mediteranian as in real life. :D
I just might! Though I think the historical Pompey was nimbler than the AI! Patrician, Welcome! I'm honored!

English Patriot said:
A very auspicious victory indeed! I hope you can exploit it!
Me too! :rolleyes:

comagoosie said:
What a battle. You roll a 9 + 2 = 11 and they get a 0. Things are looking up, let's keep it that way.
Yeah, that was a nice start, all right! Pray it keeps up!

ComradeOm said:
Ah, I learned a lot from Sforza!!! and I'm again making notes of strategies. So here I am hoping that its going to be a long and testing war!
Thanks, ComradeOm! I'm honored to hear you say that. I shall endeavour to deliver!

Enewald said:
It seems that Pompeius has put some resistance up... it will be funny to see what happens to the young Octavinian.
The old famous Caesarian alliance...

I shall follow.
No Veni, vidi, vici coming?
I'm curious what will happen there, too! I'm not positive, conceptually, that I will play this AAR beyond the end of the civil war, and so I cannot guarantee Octavius will grow up to be featured... That said, this may still be a long war, and you may well see him!

WhisperingDeath said:
It does appear that there are other Loyalist Legions in Rome and Umbria. Are they a real threat? Where is the Loyalist fleet(s) - if you know?
I'm not ALL that far into the game/story, but to date I've not seen any Roman ships. Not that I'm looking for them. And, yes, there are a startling number of legions out there! :eek:

GhostWriter said:
i'm in ! !
Excellent, GhostWriter! Glad to have you along on any project!

Count Lake said:
I'm excited to see your success so far, cross that Rubicon and destroy the Loyalists!
Thanks! I'll need your well-wishes!

spl said:
Keeping yourself busy with AARs I see ;)
Yeah, well... This IS a little crazy! I'll try to keep up with them all, though!

LOka said:
nice one! will be watching this
Great! Glad to have you along.

Lord E said:
Now that was a very nice first battle, but I fear this might actually be trick. The Senate and Pompeius has sent forward a smaller force to make you believe that they have few forces left and then as you march on Rome confident on victory they will march in behind your lines and encircle your forces… or it might be that the Senate actually are fighting badly and that it will be a quick victory in Italy. As for the rest of the empire I am thinking the war might turn out to last for a long time indeed…
This is almost what I fear! Yes, this may be a long war.

Olaus Petrus said:
There's no way I'm going to miss this, since I like your writing style and I also happen to like Caesar, whose writings are inspiring and written in eloquent Latin.
Excellent! So what's your opinion on the accuracy of the "The die is cast" quote, based on your readings? Not that he would necessarily write the same as he spoke. On the other hand, in important situations, it would seem to be his personality to carefully craft what he had to say...

Lord_Robertus said:
Long live Pompey Magnus! Death to the Upstart general Caesar!
Well.... You may get your wish! :D

llacheu said:
Note that Rome should be kept pretty busy on its eastern flank too (war against Pontus in the message log), so this should indirectly profit Caesar. It seems Caesar's luck is still holding on
I hadn't actually noticed that. I need to tweak my message settings, clearly. Well, that should help, indeed!

Vann the Red said:
In on the relative ground floor. Will Renss sell another game to me? Will he start getting commissions on the sales? Vann
Glad to see this, Vann! I think you've missed some great stuff over in Sforza, I think because it was too far along before you saw... Happy to see you here!

Berrrie said:
Knowing the author's excellent work on "Sforza", I will surely follow this AAR!

Good luck and conquer them all!
Thank you, Berrie! I appreciate that!

Well... Apologies to all of you for not being around. This was a big week, for me! I've just finished a CE-only tidbit on tactics, which should be available to those who have access there.

I also was gone Monday to northern Kentucky, to visit a magnificent, mindblowing museum about a subject that is not to be discussed on the Forum... I also, Tuesday, was involved in the completion of a major statewide petition drive, on a subject that is not to be discussed on the Forum! :D But, anyway, I've been busy, but I'm back!

Thanks for reading! I'll have an update in a few hours.

Rensslaer

Last edited:
In victory, Cotta turns, now, to return to Bonoina. Pictor is meaning to land in Umbria, behind the advancing Loyalists. Meanwhile, Caesar is gathering another legion in Liguria, so he can lead the combined force south toward Rome, itself.

Unfortunately for him, Pictor’s army landed before Vinicius’ army had passed, and the clash was bloody for both sides. While Loyalist casualties were higher, Pictor’s landing was untenable… He was forced to retreat up the coast, back toward Bononia.

LandingLost.jpg

Thankfully, that would mean that Vinicius has been bloodied even before Cotta’s army (upon reaching Bonoina) has to deal with him.

I arranged to trade stone to Bononia, from the Lycian League! That will bring in .13 gold for our armies, which is welcome, indeed.

Not so welcome was the attack upon Marcus Lepidus' positions north of the Pyrrenes! He is outnumbered 3-1. However, he expected this, and so he intends to weaken the enemy as much as possible before having to retreat.

Aquitani.jpg

Meanwhile, in Rome (check the above graphic!), the Senate, deserters, patriots, etc. all gathered to come to the defense of Rome, forming new units to oppose Caesar.

Belladonna's fleet dispersed, at this time, in order to scout along the Adriatic coast, on both sides, and to place several ports under blockade. What the scouts found was stunning -- many legions, and smaller detachments, all moving to the defense of the frontiers with the rebellious provinces! An army of 4 legions was marching, slowly, north from western Macedonia toward the Illyrian hills. Such a force would completely overwhelm Caesar's friends, there.

Illyria25.jpg

Sensing need, Publius Servilius Vatia, a friendly general, chose to use his own resources to raise a whole legion in Helvetii! Vatia is a loyal friend to Caesar, and a known rival of Pompey Magnus, which surely prompted this act of good nature. His father, incidentally, is Dux of a province in western Spain which remains loyal to the Senate. I wonder if this family tie might come of some use in the future…

Quintus Licinius Cinna retires from his Civics praetorianship to take command of the 6,000 soldiers, and begins to lead them into northern Italy, where there will be many uses to be made of such a legion, no matter to whom its loyalties lie.

MenForWar.jpg

However, there are generous senators in Rome, too. Soon, rumors of two large legions in Etruria reach Caesar’s ears. He will have to face these, on approximately equal terms, before he can threaten Rome...

It's going to be a bloody affair.

Hmm, the Caesarian faction is scraping small victories, though I found the same thing, Pompey is powerful in Spain, I wish you good luck on the forthcoming battles!

Quite the build-up in this march(ing) toward war! It is best if you are able to engage the Loyalists in the pre0gathered phase. I fear that you allow them to coalesce then your "puny rebellion" will be destroyed! btw - be watchful for the Legion of excellent troops on the forest moon! ;)

[Nice AAR, but...

You are correct that Rome will be building up faster than Caesar, so it seems to me that Caesar must concentrate his two armies as you did and get the initiative before the Romans can put together 40K+ legions (which they will if given the chance).

So it seems to me that the legion in the East planning a holding operation is a waste of resources. Wouldn't they be better used by joining with Caesar to help beat the legions around Rome before the Greek reinforcements arrive? Indeed, a holding operation is hardly possible with this game, since a lost battle drives the loser away and the winner can keep pursuing without any appreciable delay. And make no mistake, these units are no match for what they will be facing coming up the coast. But they will take time to arrive, time which can be used to win the war (getting there "the fastest with the mostest", as whasshisname put it...

I did try this strategy with the SPQR mod, and it was working pretty well , but unfortunately Caesar died within a few months of the start, which made the civil war pointless.

It seems to me that Caesar's only chance is to keep his enemies from concentrating by keeping Rome off balance. Retreating units cannot join up effectively with reinforcements, which is good news if Caesar has the initiative. But if the rebels lose the innitiative as happened in my scenario when Caesar died and I could not replace him nor join up with arriving reinforcements because his 23 units were in an enemy province, the rebels can kiss their ass goodbye.

Henri

PSThis battle is described in the thread "the best laid plans...."

Are all those Roman legions leaderless or are they just reinforcements for existing legions? If they are indeed leaderless, maybe you can exploit that?

Can you hire Heavy Infantry in the Gallic provinces? If not you're really going to strike hard at the Italian peninsula before they hire more legions from Rome.

I think your biggest problem will be Greece, all those rich provinces will provide a powerful base for the loyalists even if you do take Italy.

if you don't have version 1.2 yet, then get it now!
Otherwise the enemy shall have over 1m soldiers in the end... which has already happened to me...

and it is funny, I didn't remember that you were roman rebels, so I thought something odd when seeing romans fighting romans... :)

Anyways, if you are playing 1.1 or 1.0 or some other version... you're gonna get beaten... ;)