+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Die Is Cast - Caesar's Civil War (705 AUC)

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3

It does appear that there are other Loyalist Legions in Rome and Umbria. Are they a real threat? Where is the Loyalist fleet(s) - if you know?
    Be a craftsman in speech, thou mayest be strong, the tongue is a sword to a man, and speech is more valorous than any fighting.... Instruction for King Merikare of ancient Egypt

Awarded 2 Bronze Stars by Kanitatlan and 1 Silver Star

i'm in ! !
    B an 0:-), make someone happy, :-) GhostWriter :-)

"Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect, but we never had to put up a wall to keep our people in." . . . - John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Berlin, 1961

"Refusing to forgive is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." - not sure

thanks for the 6.10.10 update Valdemar ! ! : HOI1 *First Resistance* check it out ! !

HOI2 Cat War – Alternate USA AAR, By Amona ; discover this now ! !

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Lead and GoldMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'm excited to see your success so far, cross that Rubicon and destroy the Loyalists!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Keeping yourself busy with AARs I see

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

nice one! will be watching this

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Now that was a very nice first battle, but I fear this might actually be trick. The Senate and Pompeius has sent forward a smaller force to make you believe that they have few forces left and then as you march on Rome confident on victory they will march in behind your lines and encircle your forces… or it might be that the Senate actually are fighting badly and that it will be a quick victory in Italy. As for the rest of the empire I am thinking the war might turn out to last for a long time indeed…
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

There's no way I'm going to miss this, since I like your writing style and I also happen to like Caesar, whose writings are inspiring and written in eloquent Latin.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

Lt. General
    Europa Universalis: Rome

Long live Pompey Magnus! Death to the Upstart general Caesar!

Note that Rome should be kept pretty busy on its eastern flank too (war against Pontus in the message log), so this should indirectly profit Caesar. It seems Caesar's luck is still holding on

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III500k club

In on the relative ground floor. Will Renss sell another game to me? Will he start getting commissions on the sales?

Vann
    "Don't hit if it can be honorably avoided, but never hit softly." --Theodore Roosevelt

200k clubHoI AnthologyEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper Fi

Knowing the author's excellent work on "Sforza", I will surely follow this AAR!

Good luck and conquer them all!
    Nothing to see here...

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Well, I just looked to see how long it's been since I did feedback in this thread, and...

I've never done feedback in this thread!

They say parents forget the names of their children (or cats) when they have more than 2 (we have 7, combined). So, I guess now that I have more than 2 active AARs running...

To avoid absurd repetition, I shall now WELCOME ALL OF YOU!!! Corporately.

Quote Originally Posted by Capibara
    Great to see you start a Rome AAR, specially, as you said, since you're the author of the guide. It's also an interesting period to play in. Good luck!
    Thanks! It is a very interesting period. I did quite a bit of period research for the game, and found it fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by rasmus40
    This is a very exciting scenario, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the rebels.

I'll be following this one for sure.

Be sure to fix the research bug before you play too far in the game.
    Forgot about that research bug. I'll try upgrading to 1.2 tonight, or so... I agree it should be exciting. As I mentioned, Comagoosie has a similar setup, but I was surprised no one seems to have started with the 705 scenario before me (Comagoosie started in 696, I think...)!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshino
    Wow! Roman civil war AAR!
    I can't wait to next update.
    good luck!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Encarta98
    This should be very interesting - was thinking of playing this scenario next myself!

One thing though - some of the starting character stats seem quite strange! 18 year old Salvidienus Rufus is more popular than Caesar? Mark Antony has mediocre martial stat (6) and mediocre charisma (6)? Much like Hannibal not being a particularly good general in the 2nd Punic War scenario. Obviously there could be much debate about the 'real life stats' of historical figures, but it seems a strange decision if only from a game perspective!

Nonetheless, good luck! (though I am a Republican at heart )
    I think there's some randomness in the initial stats, except perhaps for historic characters. Actually, from my research, Mark Antony didn't strike me as that stellar a general. Nor as a very likeable guy, either. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rhynoclemmis
    Got no time to read this right now, but I expect the same Rensslaer quality-work I'm used to. Subscribed!
    Great to have you along! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by English Patriot
    I'm very interested to see how a cavalry centred Rome army will work out!
    I'm very interested to get to really try it out, too. Much of my previous play has been either infantry centered, or in earlier scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey Romanov
    And Caesar is only 50% loyal! Will he switch sides soon?
    Half of me wonders if that was designed, because after all... he DID just switch sides! In fact, he's the archetype for the general getting too big for his britches, and revolting against the civil authority! I trust his loyalty will improve with time...

Quote Originally Posted by stnylan
    It will be good to see what you can do with Caesar.
    Thanks! Great to see you, Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord E
    Nice starts. It shall be interesting to read a Roman AAR from you and the Roman Civil War scenario is very cool and gives you a lot of challenges and I think it will be a hard war. Still I am sure Caesar will do well so this shall be very interesting to follow
    I think it will be a BEAR of a war! And doubtless will provide many of the challenges and cliffhangers I enjoy playing, and you enjoy reading about!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai
    Looking forward to the ride, Rensslaer.
    Nikolai! Great to have you along! If I recall, you used to have a Turkish hat, yes? Wow. Back in the day! lol

Quote Originally Posted by comagoosie
    *blushing* thanks for the recommendation *end blushing*

Great setup with an awesome quote, can't have caesar's civil war without that.

Good luck, I haven't played this scenario, so let's see how things turn out!
    Most welcome! You're doing great work, and I'm hoping to be able to keep up with it! Yes, the quote is as iconic as it is controversial. It sounds like something he would say, though...

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperingDeath
    After recently re-watching some of the Rome miniseries from HBO I am psyched to see this scenario. Hopefully you will have a Lucius Vorenus in the XIII Legion! Subscribed!
    I actually watched the first season (for the 1st time) as part of my research for the game. Quite well done, I thought! I had to fend the librarians off, as it took me a while to find time to watch, and they were scratching at my door... Someone reminded me later I could have just used Netflix...

Quote Originally Posted by stnylan
    You will certainly want to take as much land as quickly as possible to boost your logistics.
    Indeed, though I am quite sure I'll be scrambling from one life-or-death struggle to the next far more often, in these early days, than I have any opportunity to take land...

Quote Originally Posted by The Patrician
    I wonder if you'll end up having to chase the loyalist forces all across the Mediteranian as in real life.
    I just might! Though I think the historical Pompey was nimbler than the AI! Patrician, Welcome! I'm honored!

Quote Originally Posted by English Patriot
    A very auspicious victory indeed! I hope you can exploit it!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by comagoosie
    What a battle. You roll a 9 + 2 = 11 and they get a 0. Things are looking up, let's keep it that way.
    Yeah, that was a nice start, all right! Pray it keeps up!

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOm
    Ah, I learned a lot from Sforza!!! and I'm again making notes of strategies. So here I am hoping that its going to be a long and testing war!
    Thanks, ComradeOm! I'm honored to hear you say that. I shall endeavour to deliver!

Quote Originally Posted by Enewald
    It seems that Pompeius has put some resistance up... it will be funny to see what happens to the young Octavinian.
    The old famous Caesarian alliance...

I shall follow.
    No Veni, vidi, vici coming?
    I'm curious what will happen there, too! I'm not positive, conceptually, that I will play this AAR beyond the end of the civil war, and so I cannot guarantee Octavius will grow up to be featured... That said, this may still be a long war, and you may well see him!

Quote Originally Posted by WhisperingDeath
    It does appear that there are other Loyalist Legions in Rome and Umbria. Are they a real threat? Where is the Loyalist fleet(s) - if you know?
    I'm not ALL that far into the game/story, but to date I've not seen any Roman ships. Not that I'm looking for them. And, yes, there are a startling number of legions out there!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostWriter
    i'm in ! !
    Excellent, GhostWriter! Glad to have you along on any project!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Lake
    I'm excited to see your success so far, cross that Rubicon and destroy the Loyalists!
    Thanks! I'll need your well-wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by spl
    Keeping yourself busy with AARs I see
    Yeah, well... This IS a little crazy! I'll try to keep up with them all, though!

Quote Originally Posted by LOka
    nice one! will be watching this
    Great! Glad to have you along.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord E
    Now that was a very nice first battle, but I fear this might actually be trick. The Senate and Pompeius has sent forward a smaller force to make you believe that they have few forces left and then as you march on Rome confident on victory they will march in behind your lines and encircle your forces… or it might be that the Senate actually are fighting badly and that it will be a quick victory in Italy. As for the rest of the empire I am thinking the war might turn out to last for a long time indeed…
    This is almost what I fear! Yes, this may be a long war.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaus Petrus
    There's no way I'm going to miss this, since I like your writing style and I also happen to like Caesar, whose writings are inspiring and written in eloquent Latin.
    Excellent! So what's your opinion on the accuracy of the "The die is cast" quote, based on your readings? Not that he would necessarily write the same as he spoke. On the other hand, in important situations, it would seem to be his personality to carefully craft what he had to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Robertus
    Long live Pompey Magnus! Death to the Upstart general Caesar!
    Well.... You may get your wish!

Quote Originally Posted by llacheu
    Note that Rome should be kept pretty busy on its eastern flank too (war against Pontus in the message log), so this should indirectly profit Caesar. It seems Caesar's luck is still holding on
    I hadn't actually noticed that. I need to tweak my message settings, clearly. Well, that should help, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vann the Red
    In on the relative ground floor. Will Renss sell another game to me? Will he start getting commissions on the sales? Vann
    Glad to see this, Vann! I think you've missed some great stuff over in Sforza, I think because it was too far along before you saw... Happy to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Berrrie
    Knowing the author's excellent work on "Sforza", I will surely follow this AAR!

Good luck and conquer them all!
    Thank you, Berrie! I appreciate that!

Well... Apologies to all of you for not being around. This was a big week, for me! I've just finished a CE-only tidbit on tactics, which should be available to those who have access there.

I also was gone Monday to northern Kentucky, to visit a magnificent, mindblowing museum about a subject that is not to be discussed on the Forum... I also, Tuesday, was involved in the completion of a major statewide petition drive, on a subject that is not to be discussed on the Forum! But, anyway, I've been busy, but I'm back!

Thanks for reading! I'll have an update in a few hours.

Rensslaer
    Last edited by Rensslaer; 15-05-2008 at 18:58.
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

In victory, Cotta turns, now, to return to Bonoina. Pictor is meaning to land in Umbria, behind the advancing Loyalists. Meanwhile, Caesar is gathering another legion in Liguria, so he can lead the combined force south toward Rome, itself.

Unfortunately for him, Pictor’s army landed before Vinicius’ army had passed, and the clash was bloody for both sides. While Loyalist casualties were higher, Pictor’s landing was untenable… He was forced to retreat up the coast, back toward Bononia.

Thankfully, that would mean that Vinicius has been bloodied even before Cotta’s army (upon reaching Bonoina) has to deal with him.

I arranged to trade stone to Bononia, from the Lycian League! That will bring in .13 gold for our armies, which is welcome, indeed.

Not so welcome was the attack upon Marcus Lepidus' positions north of the Pyrrenes! He is outnumbered 3-1. However, he expected this, and so he intends to weaken the enemy as much as possible before having to retreat.

Meanwhile, in Rome (check the above graphic!), the Senate, deserters, patriots, etc. all gathered to come to the defense of Rome, forming new units to oppose Caesar.

Belladonna's fleet dispersed, at this time, in order to scout along the Adriatic coast, on both sides, and to place several ports under blockade. What the scouts found was stunning -- many legions, and smaller detachments, all moving to the defense of the frontiers with the rebellious provinces! An army of 4 legions was marching, slowly, north from western Macedonia toward the Illyrian hills. Such a force would completely overwhelm Caesar's friends, there.

Sensing need, Publius Servilius Vatia, a friendly general, chose to use his own resources to raise a whole legion in Helvetii! Vatia is a loyal friend to Caesar, and a known rival of Pompey Magnus, which surely prompted this act of good nature. His father, incidentally, is Dux of a province in western Spain which remains loyal to the Senate. I wonder if this family tie might come of some use in the future…

Quintus Licinius Cinna retires from his Civics praetorianship to take command of the 6,000 soldiers, and begins to lead them into northern Italy, where there will be many uses to be made of such a legion, no matter to whom its loyalties lie.

However, there are generous senators in Rome, too. Soon, rumors of two large legions in Etruria reach Caesar’s ears. He will have to face these, on approximately equal terms, before he can threaten Rome...
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    It's going to be a bloody affair.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Hmm, the Caesarian faction is scraping small victories, though I found the same thing, Pompey is powerful in Spain, I wish you good luck on the forthcoming battles!
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3

Quite the build-up in this march(ing) toward war! It is best if you are able to engage the Loyalists in the pre0gathered phase. I fear that you allow them to coalesce then your "puny rebellion" will be destroyed! btw - be watchful for the Legion of excellent troops on the forest moon!
    Be a craftsman in speech, thou mayest be strong, the tongue is a sword to a man, and speech is more valorous than any fighting.... Instruction for King Merikare of ancient Egypt

Awarded 2 Bronze Stars by Kanitatlan and 1 Silver Star

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIMajesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Rome: Vae Victis

[Nice AAR, but...

You are correct that Rome will be building up faster than Caesar, so it seems to me that Caesar must concentrate his two armies as you did and get the initiative before the Romans can put together 40K+ legions (which they will if given the chance).

So it seems to me that the legion in the East planning a holding operation is a waste of resources. Wouldn't they be better used by joining with Caesar to help beat the legions around Rome before the Greek reinforcements arrive? Indeed, a holding operation is hardly possible with this game, since a lost battle drives the loser away and the winner can keep pursuing without any appreciable delay. And make no mistake, these units are no match for what they will be facing coming up the coast. But they will take time to arrive, time which can be used to win the war (getting there "the fastest with the mostest", as whasshisname put it...

I did try this strategy with the SPQR mod, and it was working pretty well , but unfortunately Caesar died within a few months of the start, which made the civil war pointless.

It seems to me that Caesar's only chance is to keep his enemies from concentrating by keeping Rome off balance. Retreating units cannot join up effectively with reinforcements, which is good news if Caesar has the initiative. But if the rebels lose the innitiative as happened in my scenario when Caesar died and I could not replace him nor join up with arriving reinforcements because his 23 units were in an enemy province, the rebels can kiss their ass goodbye.

Henri

PSThis battle is described in the thread "the best laid plans...."

200k clubHoI AnthologyEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper Fi

Are all those Roman legions leaderless or are they just reinforcements for existing legions? If they are indeed leaderless, maybe you can exploit that?
    Nothing to see here...

East India CompanyDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    Can you hire Heavy Infantry in the Gallic provinces? If not you're really going to strike hard at the Italian peninsula before they hire more legions from Rome.

I think your biggest problem will be Greece, all those rich provinces will provide a powerful base for the loyalists even if you do take Italy.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

if you don't have version 1.2 yet, then get it now!
    Otherwise the enemy shall have over 1m soldiers in the end... which has already happened to me...

and it is funny, I didn't remember that you were roman rebels, so I thought something odd when seeing romans fighting romans...

Anyways, if you are playing 1.1 or 1.0 or some other version... you're gonna get beaten...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast