+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Die Is Cast - Caesar's Civil War (705 AUC)

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

The Die Is Cast - Caesar's Civil War (705 AUC)

The Die Is Cast
    A Roman Rebels AAR

Welcome! This will be a primarily gameplay AAR with some historybook style, and even perhaps a little narrative (though I really don’t know when I’d have the time to do that!). Take my EU 3 AAR Sforza!!! as a model. If you're looking for a more detailed AAR with a narrative style, I shall recommend Comagoosie's For Rome's Honor!

I am starting with v1.1 in 705, at the Alea Iacta Est bookmark (The Roman Civil War!). I shall be taking command of the Roman Rebels, as Consul Gaius Julius Caesar.

Let me say, first, that the Roman Rebels do not start in an advantageous position! Their economy is barely above subsistence farming (I’m exaggerating… slightly!)… I mean, they have basically three provinces of any importance. The rest are just this side of barbarianism.

The military situation is also not enviable. The Romans have more legions, more resources with which to build more legions, better and richer characters to buy more legions, and control of the lion’s share of the world.

Fortunately, the Roman Rebels do have horses, and plenty of other resources with which to build a great army! Nothing to compare to the Roman Loyalists, but it will do.

I’ll tell you up front – I haven’t played all that much ahead, and so I have no idea how well I’m going to do! I may fall flat on my face, and the Senate will bury Caesar, and will carry on the Republic for another century. Who knows! I’m here to find out, and to provide you the interesting story of this struggle, be it ultimately won or lost.

I’ll also note that, since I authored the Strategy Guide for EU Rome, there will be quite a bit of supplementary material here, in the form of my comments and explanations of what I was thinking, so you can see my strategies in practice.

You also may well see idiocy in practice! I’ve never played a perfect game yet. I sometimes don’t follow my own advice. But when I make foolish moves, there is much to be learned from that, too – I’ll tell you when I’ve done something stupid (or, just as likely, YOU’ll tell me I did something stupid! ), so you can learn from it.

Anyway… On to the setup…

Because I have access to horses, I will use this as the center of my long-term military strategy…

I take a mis-matched (not according to Roman tradition) set of National Ideas, emphasizing cavalry tactics – Horse Lords for +10% Discipline for cavalry, and Cataphracts for +100% cavalry offense!

The last National Idea I take is Loyal Politics, which I hope will serve me well in time of civil war.

And… Speaking of those characters of variable loyalty…

My most loyal subjects…

And my least loyal subjects…

Popularity is also a consideration, especially during a civil war, since it affects their ability to raise support for themselves against you…

My most able administrators…

My most able diplomats….

And, last, but certainly NOT least…

I’m fortunate to have access to some very talented generals. I will need them!

Remember these names! Or refer back here, occasionally. I will mention when some of these characters start to impact the gameplay, and I think you may find it as fascinating as I do to watch and keep track of.

Here is my starting situation in Italy. Decimus Cornelius Cotta will descend upon Etruria to draw first blood, and to hopefully soften up the enemy, while Julius Caesar moves south to pick up a second legion, and then moves into position to threaten Rome.

Meanwhile, in Illyria, Gaius Octavius Pictor will hold down that front. I happen to know (I was recently Consul, don’t you know!) there is at least one legion, and probably two, hanging out in Greece. This will be a hard front to hold. And that’s just what I intend to do – mount a holding action here.

In Spain, Marcus Lepidus will take command of the western legion, and will probably have to hold off an attack by the main enemy force. Meanwhile, Appius Postumius Drusus is going to collect a couple of legions, and prepare to come around the enemy’s flank.

Thanks for reading! Please leave comments – you’re welcome to leave comments even if you’re not caught up (if that’s the case, just tell me what you’ve read most recently, so I can put your comments in context).

More updates to come!
    Last edited by Rensslaer; 09-05-2008 at 06:25.
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Great to see you start a Rome AAR, specially, as you said, since you're the author of the guide. It's also an interesting period to play in. Good luck!
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Crusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

This is a very exciting scenario, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the rebels.

I'll be following this one for sure.

Be sure to fix the research bug before you play too far in the game.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Wow! Roman civil war AAR!
    I can't wait to next update.
    good luck!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

This should be very interesting - was thinking of playing this scenario next myself!

One thing though - some of the starting character stats seem quite strange! 18 year old Salvidienus Rufus is more popular than Caesar? Mark Antony has mediocre martial stat (6) and mediocre charisma (6)? Much like Hannibal not being a particularly good general in the 2nd Punic War scenario. Obviously there could be much debate about the 'real life stats' of historical figures, but it seems a strange decision if only from a game perspective!

Nonetheless, good luck! (though I am a Republican at heart )
    Qui bono?

Europa Universalis 3Victoria 2

Got no time to read this right now, but I expect the same Rensslaer quality-work I'm used to. Subscribed!
    This turtle's AAR: "Saftladen/Italbolt" - An Austrian GC AAR in Vicky:R, weekly AAR showcase Aug. 30th 2007

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I'm very interested to see how a cavalry centred Rome army will work out!
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Quote Originally Posted by Encarta98
    This should be very interesting - was thinking of playing this scenario next myself!

One thing though - some of the starting character stats seem quite strange! 18 year old Salvidienus Rufus is more popular than Caesar? Mark Antony has mediocre martial stat (6) and mediocre charisma (6)? Much like Hannibal not being a particularly good general in the 2nd Punic War scenario. Obviously there could be much debate about the 'real life stats' of historical figures, but it seems a strange decision if only from a game perspective!

Nonetheless, good luck! (though I am a Republican at heart )
    And Caesar is only 50% loyal! Will he switch sides soon?

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    It will be good to see what you can do with Caesar.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubParadoxian Order - 2015

Nice starts. It shall be interesting to read a Roman AAR from you and the Roman Civil War scenario is very cool and gives you a lot of challenges and I think it will be a hard war. Still I am sure Caesar will do well so this shall be very interesting to follow
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to the ride, Rensslaer.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    *blushing* thanks for the recommendation *end blushing*

Great setup with an awesome quote, can't have caesar's civil war without that.

Good luck, I haven't played this scenario, so let's see how things turn out!
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.
    EU4 Stats - because deep down we are all stats junkies

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3

After recently re-watching some of the Rome miniseries from HBO I am psyched to see this scenario. Hopefully you will have a Lucius Vorenus in the XIII Legion! Subscribed!
    Be a craftsman in speech, thou mayest be strong, the tongue is a sword to a man, and speech is more valorous than any fighting.... Instruction for King Merikare of ancient Egypt

Awarded 2 Bronze Stars by Kanitatlan and 1 Silver Star

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Any army is defended and motivated by intelligence, coming in from all sources, across the fronts of battle.

From Spain, Caesar receives word that Marcus Lepidus has raised two cohorts with his own fortune to assist him in the fighting in the Pyrrenes Mountains. These may be raw recruits, and lightly armed, but they may come in handy.

And scouting along the coast by Belladonna’s ships finds Italy more lightly defended than expected… At least that is the impression he gives. In a sudden change of plans, he sails into position to pick up Pictor to shift him to the Italian Peninsula.

The first blood of the civil war came in northern Etruria, where Decimus Cornelius Cotta’s advance force met in battle with – irony of ironies! – his uncle, and the head of his very family, Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus! There would be hell to pay if he finds himself on the losing side of this war.

The early fighting is sporadic and listless, like a practice bout between tired friends. But, as they entered the third week of skirmishing, they grappled in earnest, and much blood flowed into the Roman countryside… Mostly from the Loyalists!

And – Ha! The first victory of the war goes to Caesar’s legions! Not that that was not to be expected.

Gnaeus Lentulus fled, and fell back upon Rome, with less than half his army intact!

What an auspicious start to a campaign! This bodes well for Caesar. Panic has surely started, in Rome. They are already beaten, and Caesar himself has yet to taste blood. Perhaps this will be a quick war!
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    You will certainly want to take as much land as quickly as possible to boost your logistics.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

East India CompanyDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you'll end up having to chase the loyalist forces all across the Mediteranian as in real life.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    A very auspicious victory indeed! I hope you can exploit it!
    'What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel, in apprehension how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Rise of PrussiaEU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

945 (EU3, Michigan) in between palm and ring finger
    Blog Entries
    What a battle. You roll a 9 + 2 = 11 and they get a 0. Things are looking up, let's keep it that way.
    EU3 Save Suite - your one stop shop for everything related to EU3 savegames.
    EU4 Stats - because deep down we are all stats junkies

Think you're the best EU3 player? Check out the EU3 Hall of Fame
    Dealt: A polish colonel deals his last hand
    The Swiss Account: The average documentation of the stereotypical Swiss.
    "Cheese ages better than women but money is forever." - Davout
    EU3 Hurt and Heal Archive

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Ah, I learned a lot from Sforza!!! and I'm again making notes of strategies. So here I am hoping that its going to be a long and testing war!
    Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient Greek republics: freedom for the slave-owners
    VI Lenin

54 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaEUIV: Art of War

It seems that Pompeius has put some resistance up... it will be funny to see what happens to the young Octavinian.
    The old famous Caesarian alliance...

I shall follow.
    No Veni, vidi, vici coming?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast