• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the end of another session it's time for another report.

This ten years would be a quieter one than the past decade, at least for the Swiss. On the orders of the Tagsuntzag it was time to rebuild Switzerland's trading empire and reputation. Military access was denied to Austria as ordered. Relations with Swiss allies Venice and Lorraine would have to be prepared, and guarantees of the small German states to the north given. Swiss merchants slowly began to fill European markets again, and reforms were made to the military in case of another war.

In June 1486, however,the Hungarian King, apparently having grown weary of life, decided it would be a good idea to attack Venice. The Stadtholder answered the call to arms and joined our Venetian comrades.

While Venice took care of Hungary, the Swiss army moved to attack their ally Mazovia. Sadly, Alfred Bruger was not the general that Statdholder Stefan was, and was defeated by Mazovian forces in the Battle of Wien.

Undeterred, Stadtholder Bruger continued to march his army towards Mazovia's capital, ignoring the loss of Munich and rebellion in Konstanz.

Although he would die of a fever in the middle fo the campaign, Bruger's plan paid off. His successor Heinrich Bischofberger woult take command of the siege of Mazovia and, shortly after it fell, enemy alliance leader Hungary would agree to pay Switzerland a tribute of 50 Ducats. Venice would go on to win large tracts of land from Hungary before accepting a ceasefire.

The next years were spent peacefully. Switzerland came to dominate centers of trade in Burgundy and Venice again, and improved their production and naval tech (despite having no ports and no navies :p ). Even with money pouring in from all of the country's new vassals, trade again overtook taxes as a percentage of the nation's income.

Switzerland again fought a short war to help Venice, this time against Ragusa, but mostly peacefully traded and researched new technology. The war between Poland and Lithuania against the Ottomans ended, with the Turk's losing much land to the two superpowers. An inconclusive war was also fought between Austria and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

In more unpleasant news, France declared war on Burgundy, neatly sidestepping the alliance between Switzerland and Burgundy's Personal Union Leader Lorraine. The war would end with France gaining control of Metz, unimportant in itself but putting them right on the border with the small German states. Something would have to be done about this.

Good news came less than a year later when Wurtemberg agreed to annexation. The mighty nation of Switzerland was again expanding. Ansbach also became an ally, hopefully providing a way to get involved in the politics of the small German states in the north later on.

And so the Republic of Switzerland faces a new decade. Things have constantly improved for the small nation, but there are challenges as well. To the east the mighty Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth swallowed up it's enemies, with only Austria standing in their way. To the west France continued to grow, now encroaching dangerously close to Germany. These may be the issues of most concern to the Tagsuntzag today.

Over the past few sessions we have begun to develop policies from the orders of the Council Members. Here is what we have come up with so far.

Short Term:
-Focus on trade, keep reputation as good as possible.
-keep relations with allies Venice and Lorraine high.
-Guarantee and/or warn nations to the north, to get an opportunity for a casus belli.
-Avoid war with any nations whose allies we can't handle.

Long Term:
-Unite the Rheinlander provinces, and eventually all German provinces.
-Be on the look out for any good chance to make excursions into Northern Italy.
-Keep France and Burgundy from spilling into Germany if possible.
-Never pay tribute to the Saxons again. :p

We bring a couple issues before the Tagsuntzag today. One is whether this policy is a good one to keep as a base for future decades, and whether any additions, changes, or subtractions need be made. Another is what to do about France and Poland-Lithuania's recent expansion, the former's against an ally. Lastly, we wish to know whether any changes to the meetings of the Tagsuntzag are necessary, whether members feel they have a stake in the country's fate, how to give them one if it is lacking, and whether a single decade between sessions is best or whether perhaps they should be extended. I look forwards to hearing your thoughts on the matter. :)

Last edited:
Hopefully, France won't try to expand into Germany. And Burgundy might not have the chance if she ends up at war with France every once in a while (hey, hoping can't hurt). There is probably not much Switzerland can do about it anyway.
But I also fear Poland might become a real issue in the long run too. Let's wait another couple of updates and see how things turn out.
By the way, one meeting every decade seems OK to me.

If you have enough money fabricate claims on alsace or pfalz oh and you could try capture a irrelevant provide to cede to a biiiiig country which declares war in you

dem61s Luckily, Burgundy have been pretty hamstrung by being the junior partern in a union with Lorraine, who seem reluctant to start wars. France is definately a big worry, though, especially if they manage to take Burgundy down eventually. :wacko:

Enewald Tribute as in peace settlement tribute or vassal? Either way, I think between these last couple decades and the one I'm about to post, I've gone a long way towards that goal. :D

Calum Cornish Will try both, although the former is tough (low chances to fabricate claims plus poor census tax make it hard, but as soon as some of these settlements I have start becoming cores I plan on making extensive use of the fabricate claims option).

Time for another report.

The next couple years were spent peacefully trading, while trained diplomats went to the courts of Switzerland's allies to improve relations with them. They had been angry not to profit from the wars they joined and little mollified by the guarantee that the settlements they helped take for Switzerland would be put to good use.

In 1498 the Statdholder noticed that Lithuania was overrunning Austria. This concerned him, as Austria had been the only check on the power of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Perhaps it was time to take that position from them, and take the Rheinlander province of Breisgau? War was declared on Austria.

Lorraine cowardly refused to join the war, even though relations with them had been high. Something about being fine with helping Switzerland take over small HRE states, but not the venerable Kingdom of Austria. They requested a new alliance after the war ended, which was only accepted because they kept Burgundy in check. Oddly, no message at all came from Venice to the Stadtholder. Apparently Venice had broken their alliance with Switzerland before the war, although none of the nations bureaucrats could recall receiving notice. Since their help would be be neccessary in defeating an Austria already brought to her knees by Lithuanian, little note was taken of this odd mixup. Swizz armies marched for Breisgau and Trent, the only nearby Austrian provinces not yet taken by the Lithuanians, and quickly took them.

The Austrians were sent an offer of ceasefire in exchange for those two settlements and they accepted. The war had lasted less than a year an almost no Swiss lives were lost. Initially there was some disappointment upon the discovery that Trent did not have gold like nearby Austrian provinces, but it was quickly ended when the Swiss homeland became inundated with good wine from the region, brought in as war loot. Indeed, a national celebration went on for nearly a week after, until the wine ran out.

Meanwhile the Austro-Lithuanian war continued, even though Lithuania's Union leader Poland seemed not to be involved. Lithuania even ended up at war with Venice, and occupied much of that nation even more quickly than they had Austria. Lithuania would gut both nations, taking many provinces from them. To the west constant rebellion in Metz had caused that province to go back to Lorraine, a fitting lesson for the French who had taken and lost it.

To the south interesting events also occurred. While Castille was fighting Aragon southern Italy had rebelled. The Kingdom of Sicily reemerged but found itself at odds with the other Italian states. Soon Tuscany got involved in the war and took part of the new Sicily, while Ferrara took another. The "heel" of the boot of Italy remained nominally in Aragonian, although rebels ruled in reality.

One nation warned by Switzerland, Brandenburg, started a war in Scandinavia, but unfortunately Switzerland was not yet powerful enough to fight them.

In 1503, a diplomatic insult from Saxony was handled with finesse by Swiss diplomats. Aware that Saxony and their ally Hesse were too strong for Switzerland they opted to smooth things over, improving Switzerland's repuation in the eyes of all of her neighbors.

Later that Spring, it was decided that Baden should no longer stay in the hands of Munster, and war was declared. Although lopsided on paper it would be a challenging war. Over a year would be spent in non decisive battles on Swizz lands. Ally Lorraine's commitment to the war was sporadic at best. They could easily overpower Munster, but made only halfhearted attempts to invade it. They did, however, aid the Swiss greatly in preventing enemy forces from occupying Swiss provinces.

Baden was the first province to fall to Swiss arms. When Munster refused to part with it in a ceasefire, the Stadtholder marched his armies through Burgundian territories to the homelands of Munster and their ally Luneburg. Lorraine apparently recommitted themselves to the war, taking Munster's capital province. Only a few of Munster's provinces in Denmark remained untaken.

2 years after the war began Munster was forced to cede Baden, and both them and Luneburg were made to pay 50 ducats in tribute and become vassals.

Over the past couple decades, ever since the Tagsuntzag took over the country and started meeting every decade, Switzerland has emerged as a major player in southern Germany, and stand poised to take over Austria's place in the region. Aside from territorial gains, they have 5 vassals, including Alsace, the Palatinate, Genoa, Munster, and Lueburg, and during peacetime are skilled traders. Despite recent conquests, their reputation remains fairly good (2.68). Inflation has remained low (bit over 5%, I think, maybe slowly creeping up to 6%). Because of their most recent war the nation has saved up 113 ducats, and national stability is fairly good (+1).

There are still many challenges and decisions to be made, however. Despite a good income for the nation's size, especially during times of heavy trade, technology in Switzerland has not always progressed at the same pace as elsewhere. In particular land tech is rather low at 3 going on 4. Something must be done about this. Government tech on the other hand is one of the highest in Europe, bringing us the decision to embark on a new national policy or "Idea". Perhaps another trading idea would be best? Or a military one to help in conquests? Maybe a national bank to lower inflation would help.

There is another big issue. We have several vassals directly north that could be annexed, although our Stadtholder's lack of diplomatic skill prevents him from convincing them. Should we keep trying or wait?

Lastly, there is the decision of whether to rebuild trade or back to war soon. Switzerland has a strong reserve of ducats that could hire a large army for immediate use. Mantua is allied to Milan and Modena. Mantua would be easy to defeat, while Modena has a more dangerous army. Milan would be the tough one, but they could be ignored, with Lorraine hopefully helping keep them from Switzerland, and Modena and Mantua defeated piecemeal first.

It would also be possible first declare war on Ferrara, allied only to Modena, to knock the former out and so only have to fight a war against Milan and Mantua later.

Venice is also vulnerable with no allies, and betrayed Switzerland's trust long ago, but it would be hard to get military access through Austria and Lithuania to Venice's harder to reach provinces.

Whatever we do, some more expansion before consolidation might be wise, as mighty nations to the west, east, and now in the form of the Tuscans to the south threaten our country.

What say you, members of the Tagsuntzag?

Uh, oh, I had lost some updates, but I've catched up now, very nice work getting those provinces :D , I really like seeing Switzerland being successful, if it's possible, you should get yourself a province with port, so you may start builiding the first glorious Swiss navy!

it could be good for you that austria was smashed by the litunians.
I will only say this one time: Austira is your big target.

Is it true that Tirol, Kärnten, and Krain are gold provinces? i dont know, but one of them should be..
get this 3 provinces at any cost as fast as possible, and poland or litunia will never come to italy again.. and even lose their venice provinces to rebels..
if those two devils get only 1 of this austrian provinces your in trouble..
if your lucky austria wont have military acces to poland(or is this litunia??), and wont defend the southern lands..

I think your right taking National bank as NI to lower your inflation.
normaly thats the first NI i chose.

what else to say?
youve did a great job expanding to the north with many vassals, italy could be a next direction. the plans you made are good, the ferrara plan should work.
important is savoy to get all of northern italy.

Good Game :)

Last edited:
comagoosie I could, although I admit having that extra cash and less than 3 bb points is tempting.

Enewald Savoy is allied with Miland, Modena, and Corsica, any of which would be a handful by themselves. No an impossible feat, but it would be difficult. Still, I'd do it if you guys want me to. :)

Capibara Thanks, it's been getting interesting these past few updates. Defiantely hoping to get a port province soon. One more reason to invade Italy. :D

etepetete Austria would be tough, as they have mill access through Lithuania and an army much bigger than mine, but it might be possible. They still have all three gold provinces, very tempting...

Savoy is definately on the list.

Possibly declare war on the Italian alliance and attempt to vassalize them all, except for corsica. The most dangerous member of the alliance is likely Milan, but you should be able to get the out of the war quickly, as they only have two provinces; as long as you allow them to begin the seige of one of yours first, you should be able to take their capital and vassalize.

After vassalizing the alliance, you could use the might of your many vassals to do most of the fighting in a war versus Austria, while you steal the seiges of all the gold provinces, if you need income, they are essential.

It could be tough, but I can attaack and try to vassalize the northern Italian factions if that's what you guys want me to do. :)

One thing, not sure if it's 2.2 or what, but it's much harder to ally vassals in this game. The hordes of vassal armies strategy is less effective.

Also, Austria is allied to Bohemia, which will have to be considered in attacking them at any time. That said, those three gold provinces are vital.

Zimfan said:
There are still many challenges and decisions to be made, however. Despite a good income for the nation's size, especially during times of heavy trade, technology in Switzerland has not always progressed at the same pace as elsewhere. In particular land tech is rather low at 3 going on 4. Something must be done about this. Government tech on the other hand is one of the highest in Europe, bringing us the decision to embark on a new national policy or "Idea". Perhaps another trading idea would be best? Or a military one to help in conquests? Maybe a national bank to lower inflation would help.
Focus on trade - take Shrewd commerce practise and expand into every COT in Europe. NB should 3 policy - 5% inflation is a not big concern.

Zimfan said:
There is another big issue. We have several vassals directly north that could be annexed, although our Stadtholder's lack of diplomatic skill prevents him from convincing them. Should we keep trying or wait?
Wait - Stadtholders don't leave forever. Hopefullydiplomacy skills of next Stadtholder would be better. Moreover loosing diplomats only to lose prestige is not a good idea.

Zimfan said:
Lastly, there is the decision of whether to rebuild trade or back to war soon. Switzerland has a strong reserve of ducats that could hire a large army for immediate use. Mantua is allied to Milan and Modena. Mantua would be easy to defeat, while Modena has a more dangerous army. Milan would be the tough one, but they could be ignored, with Lorraine hopefully helping keep them from Switzerland, and Modena and Mantua defeated piecemeal first.

It would also be possible first declare war on Ferrara, allied only to Modena, to knock the former out and so only have to fight a war against Milan and Mantua later.

Venice is also vulnerable with no allies, and betrayed Switzerland's trust long ago, but it would be hard to get military access through Austria and Lithuania to Venice's harder to reach provinces.

Whatever we do, some more expansion before consolidation might be wise, as mighty nations to the west, east, and now in the form of the Tuscans to the south threaten our country.

What say you, members of the Tagsuntzag?
Focus on trade - the bigger we are, the cost of technology is bigger. Now we should wait for cores and expand diplomatically (once we get new Stadtholder).
Were are are merchants? Do we still have them in Vlanderen and Venice?

Why before declaring war on Austria claims on Breisgau weren't fabricated? We would have a CB.

Tycho said:
Were are are merchants? Do we still have them in Vlanderen and Venice?

We still have a pretty strong hold on Venice and Vlaanderen, success in other cots varies depending on whether I'm at war, etc.

Why before declaring war on Austria claims on Breisgau weren't fabricated? We would have a CB.

Because none of the settlements I've conquered are cores, I still only make 26 or so ducats in census taxes, and almost all of it goes to sending merchants. I'd have to stop trading for 5 years to get the 100+ ducats needed.

I do happen to have that many ducats now, thanks to that last war. :D If I were planning on fighting I'd been thinking of using them to hire troops, but I could fabriate claims instead.

Hey everyone, sorry for the slowness in updating. Now that IN has come out, do you guys still want me to continue? I'm going on a trip with my wife this weekend (first anniversary) but I could do an update right when I get back.

What do you think?