• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YAY THE Swiss!!!!! I've never seen a successful Switzerland before.. this will be interesting!!!

Good luck!!!

I think you are doing well at trade so perhaps it is time to return focus to govt or production. Burgundy was an interesting ally, though I might have given France an opportunity to drag you into a few profitable wars at the hands of the Burgundians. As it is, perhaps you can pick up some ground in Italy (Savoy, Milan...)

Keep it up! :D

personnaly I think you shout aim to conquer the entirety of the rhineland and switch to a noble republic in due course

etepetete Lorraine is allied to Burgundy (and me) so it might be hard, but I'll see what I can do. Konstanz should definately be doable.

Enewald I tried but, well, you'll see what happens when I do the writeup.

ProffessorEGADD Thanks, hopefully it will be a successful Switzerland. :wacko:

coz1 Already played the turn but that suggestion will be very relevant for the next session. :)

Calum Cornish If enough people vote for it I'll gvie it a try! :D

dem61s I think it is, another goal I can try for.

Sorry everyone. Ran into time issues, but the next update will be up within the day.

Last edited:
Alright, it is time for another ten year report.

This session we had many goals, among them to keep up the trade, change government focus to improve trade, look for an opportunity to take Konstanz and/or Lothringen, and eventually seek to unify all the German lands. I am forced to report that many difficulties were faced, preventing us from being as successful as we were at fulfilling the goals of the prior Tagsuntzag.

It was decided to institute greater freedom of trade to improve the number of merchants we can hire.. Despite some temporary stability loss this went well. Our merchants continued to fill European centers of trade.

Then in 1467 disaster struck. Leonardo Bischofberger, the man chosen by the Swiss people to be Stadtholder, died in a freak horse and buggy accident. He was replaced by Stefan Amman, a man wise in the ways of war but poor at diplomacy and administration. Stefan tried to follow the orders of the Council, but failed at almost every turn. Slower our traders began to be pushed out of major centers across Europe, while Stefan tried in vain to support them to regain a foothold. All of our money had to be spent to keep any merchants in at all.

Then, any chances of gaining Lothringen were dashed by a personal union between Burgundy and Lorraine, with Lorraine's king ruling over both countries. On the plus side, Lorraine was technically still an ally, and this meant war with Burgundy was no longer a worry. Wurzberg did not provide any Casus Belli for us to invade them, despite our warning them and guaranteeing their neighbors, and the Stadtholder was reluctant to start a war that would worsen our trade without the permission of the Tagsuntzag.

We did receive some interesting news from the east, with an immense war between Austria and Hungary on one side, and Poland and Lithuania on the other. At the moment it is anybody's war.

Our biggest success this session was the increase of our trade technology to level three, with our Land and Naval techs cathing up just towards the end of the ten years. Investing further in trade at this point will mean penalties as we are ahead of our neighbors.

So we come to another meeting of the Tasuntzag, with several new issues. One is the best way to allocate our technology investment. We have already had one suggestion on this issue from Councilmember coz1, recommending we focus on Production or Government a while. Does this sound wise to the other members?

The other is the issue of trade and Wurzburg. Try as hard as he might, as long as Stadtholder Stefan is in office trade will be difficult. We have an army almost the match of Wurzburg's, and are allied to Lorraine and Venice while they only have Alsace as as ally. If we are careful we could beat them and take Konstanz, succeeding in that particular goal as well as the one to unite Germany and the Rhineland, and maybe take Alsace as well. This would mean a short abandoning of trade, and possibly taking a loan or minting temporarily to afford full upkeep on our armies. What say you?

Attack the austrian while thryr attacking the poles and take bresigau.
Focus on land and trade unless you grow me thinks

Since your current ruler isn't good for trading, but has nice military traits, you should try to start a war and take a province or two as well as some ducats.

Yay, finaly a swiss AAR, i whas wondering if anyone ever would start one.

Yeah, and Capibara has right, trade is not the only thing you can do to improve you economy, go and get em Tiger! :D

Yep, government is always a safe bet. I'd also invest on land. And don't be afraid to add a little bit to your revenu with inflation at the begining of the game. That way you will be able to catch a few provinces through war before beeing surrounded by more powerfull nations.
Nb: You might not want to take my advice. I ended up with a 40% inflation in my last game...

Zimfan said:
So we come to another meeting of the Tasuntzag, with several new issues. One is the best way to allocate our technology investment. We have already had one suggestion on this issue from Councilmember coz1, recommending we focus on Production or Government a while. Does this sound wise to the other members?
Yes, but I suggest to focus on Government and Land. As soon as level 1 in Production tech is reached (enabling workshops) I wouldn't focus on this tech.

Zimfan said:
The other is the issue of trade and Wurzburg. Try as hard as he might, as long as Stadtholder Stefan is in office trade will be difficult. We have an army almost the match of Wurzburg's, and are allied to Lorraine and Venice while they only have Alsace as as ally. If we are careful we could beat them and take Konstanz, succeeding in that particular goal as well as the one to unite Germany and the Rhineland, and maybe take Alsace as well. This would mean a short abandoning of trade, and possibly taking a loan or minting temporarily to afford full upkeep on our armies. What say you?
That's good idea - I think that minting is better, because to pay a loan tou would have to mint anyway.
Also do not conquer Alsace - vassalization and taking money would be better.

Then let me be the first to congratulate you to the weekly showcase award, Zimfan! Very well deserved, and I am especially happy to see one of your aars get the award. I have been a great fan of all of your aars, you would have the deserved the award for each and every one! Congratulations again, and don't let the award distract you from your duty to deliver us updates! ;)

Oh, and another vote for Government. Can't do much wrong there!

ProffessorEGADD I won an award? Wow, I always thought of myself as a bit of an aar factory, churning out aars of consisten but questionable quality. :wacko:

I shall endeavor to live up to everybody's expectations. Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)

safferli No rik of that. If anything, now I feel as if I need to do more updates. :p

Ok, if I've counted correctly, it seems that there's a strong majority who agree that a. it is time to invest in a new tech, with government being the most popular and b. it's time to drop trade temporarily and get into a war or two.

There is one question left, war with Wurzburg or Austria? All in all, I have a better chance of beating Wurzburg and Alsace, especially if Venice actually helps. I'd likely go for one of Wurzburg's two territories and vassalize them and Alsace. This is the safe option, and as noted early on, will help prevent eastward expansion by Burgundy (or rather Lorraine, now that they rule both countries).

The more interesting and potentially game ending option is Austria. It even fits well with the aar's theme, with our armies of neutrality teaching the Austrians a lesson for warmongering. With their being distracted by a war with equally blobbish Poland/Lithuania, and my being an ally of Venice, I might even have a chance. The downside is I would have to either take a bit stab hit for attacking (I think they have mil access, or maybe I only gave them access) or wait a long time to attack (I'm getting about 1 diplomat a year) with the Austrian/Polish war possibly winding down before I can strike. Then there's the whole making an enemy of one of the maps most powerful factions thing. :p

So, Austria or Wurzburg?

Tycho Alright we have one vote for Wurzburg so far. :)

Just wanted to make sure I did my individual response before many more comments got in.

Calum Cornish I've got the issue up for vote right now. Whither goest the Taguntzag, there goest Sweden. :)

Capibara Will do!

Z3RuZ One of my friends can be credited with the idea of choosing Switzerland. Then I just had to pick them when I noticed they didn't have any aars. :D Yours is one of many votes for a war. So let it be said, so let it be done.

Enewald Them Wurzburg, or them Austria? :)

dem61s Govt then land it is. I can do badly with inflation as well. By the end of my Venice/Novgorod game, the later had some 30% inflation. :wacko:

ProffessorEGADD, safferli I believe I've already addressed you to. Thanks for the support! :)

comagoosie Indeed, although they might have bitten off more than they can chew with the mighty Lithuania blob. I could be wrong, but I forsee a likely white peace in their future.