• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh dear the Empire has been devastated! And Egypt lost! The lose of this incredibly wealthy province in the 7th century signaled the beginning of the rapid decline of Byzantium of the super-power of the Ancient world to a regional power that could barely hold it's borders. Let's hope that Michael VIII is as competent as his historic counterpart and manages to reorganize the empire!

BTW: How did you manage to get such a huge Hungary? Did you edit the save file (if so I am deeply impressed)? I doubt that the Mongols really granted away these lands. :p

~Lord Valentine~

This is the end of the Empire as we know it...

Von Hmaburg bis zum Japanischen Meer. :p

A bit unrealistic. When did you lose that much ground to the hungarians? :D

Ah well, maybe you should flee to mongol court and become the Khan, with a Komnenoi. :p

Then conquer the world as a Komnenoi-khanate. :rofl:

Byzantine empire really is a mere shadow of itself, looks like history is going to repeat itself, albeit ina somewhat different way. I hope things turn out reasonably well after all for you.

Heaven On Earth

Emperor Michael VIII: The Phoenix: I
(Mood Music)

miguel_viii_paleologo_2.jpg

Emperor Michael VIII was a scruffy former general with much skill in the art of war. While Manuel II did have military skill, he wasn’t able to showcase it during the Mongol invasion and instead resorted to a retreating and bottlenecking strategy. While Michael VIII was a military man, he allowed the Empire to stabilize a bit during the early years of his reign. He quelled some minor rebellions in Greece that occurred when Manuel II was overthrown, yet Egypt still remained independent.

So from 1268 to 1271, the Empire was at peace under the reign of a military Emperor. In August of 1271, the 200th anniversary of the great Orthodox victory at Manzikert that would eventually lead the Orthodox rise to power and the proclamation of the Orthodox Empire by Romanos IV, which gave birth to the dream of a Pan-Orthodox state. The bicentennial was celebrated across the Empire with great jubilation and festivities. It helped skyrocket Orthodox pride and morale.

The_Forum_under_the_Caesars.jpg

A modern depiction of the festivities, which soon became notorious for the various nude women that threw themselves onto the Emperor, supposedly in the tradition of Alexios II

After the Mongol invasion and the humiliation of having an Emperor overthrown, the people of the Empire needed it. Speeches were given in each town, recalling the tales of the great battle and the celebrations lasted throughout the night. It is often joked that for all of August 1271, the Orthodox Empire was drunk. If one thing is for sure, the month of celebrations certainly outdid Manuel I’s centennial celebrations for the battle, and they boosted Michael VIII’s popularity. The celebrations in Constantinople are even said to have outdone Alexios II’s lavish festivities.

chess.jpg

The celebrations were so grand, that they were depicted in Islamic Central Asian art, note the inaccurate depictions of the Orthodox

Once the celebrations of 1271 were done with, it was time for business. Michael VIII personally rode throughout what remained of the Empire and formed an army. His rousing speech convinced thousands to join the weak army. By the end of 1272, Emperor Michael VIII had gathered, armed, and trained, about 50,000 men. His target for invasion was Hungary, which was strengthened with Mongol help, but Mongol troops were no longer stationed in the country, therefore significantly reducing the number of enemy troops for Michael VIII to face. On the morning of September 10th 1273, as Orthodox troops crossed into Hungary, Michael VIII was watching. He was determined to rebuild the Empire and reunite the Orthodox once again.

Go on Michael! Let¡s hope that the empire may resurface.

Lols, you shall beat them, unless you modded the game too lot. :p

And why would Hungary own anything south of Danube on the eastern Balkans? :confused:

Ah, more nude women? :rofl:

Time to make the Hungarias pay for all the troubles they have caused!

Enewald said:
Ah, more nude women? :rofl:

Of course! :D

Ah good, the thing every Empire needs after near collapse is a strong and capable ruler. Although in my games I always seem to follow up collapse with a sickly 6 year old monarch.

Heaven On Earth

Emperor Michael VIII: The Phoenix: II
(Mood Music)

harfleur.jpg

The might of 50,000 highly trained and heavily armed Orthodox soldiers struck into Hungary on September 10th 1273, about 30 years after peace was made with the Mongols. The Mongols had abandoned Hungary and effectively cut off their alliance with them. No military aid would be sent to the Hungarians. But even without Mongol backing, the Hungarians were a powerful foe, and Michael VIII made sure that his army was nearly indestructible. He equipped all his men with the finest weapons, had thousands of camp followers, everything an army could ever need or want. The Second Orthodox-Hungarian War would be the first test for the reemerging Orthodox Empire.

So on that September morning, the grand Orthodox army crossed into Hungary. Soon after they came across the first Hungarian outposts, the small garrisons within them didn’t stand a chance, and they fell with ease. Moving into Bulgaria was made much easier by the thousands of Orthodox men joining the army, taking with them whatever makeshift weapons, pitchforks, kitchen knives, they had. Thirty years was too long, and the Orthodox people were eager to rid their land of the often oppressive Hungarians.

Now strengthened to about 70,000, the Orthodox laid siege to Sofia. The Hungarian garrison was trapped and massacred by the Orthodox populace as soon as news reached them that the Imperial army was approaching. All throughout the Balkans, the Orthodox people were rising up against the Hungarians. And the scattered massacres of Orthodox people that Hungary conducted only fueled the fire. So when the Orthodox army arrived at Sofia, the gates were thrown open and Michael VIII was surprised to find not one living Hungarian soldier. Soon after, all of Bulgaria fell to the Orthodox.

100096-004-301BD9B6.jpg

One of the many tapestries that were made to commemorate Michael VIII’s victories

After this, Michael VIII turned his army towards Serbia. By this time, the Kingdom of Hungary was panicking. All their territories south of the Danube were at risk of being retaken by the Orthodox Empire. They had a huge Orthodox army attacking key points, and Orthodox people revolting everywhere. Michael VIII arrived at Belgrade in February of 1274. This time, he had a fight on his hands. Belgrade’s central position meant it had a much larger garrison than Sofia. The winter and the walls took their toll on both sides. The siege was quite long and it wasn’t until things warmed up in May that Michael VIII made his move on the city. Coupled with internal riots, the gates were once again thrown open and the Orthodox army massacred the Hungarian garrison.

By now Michael VIII was the superstar of Europe. In all towns, the populace rioted, killed the Hungarians, and welcomed Michael VIII and his army into their city. By the time he advanced into Croatia, the land was already purged of Hungarians the citizens were just waiting for Michael VIII to come. By the summer of 1274, the war was over. The Hungarian military was destroyed, and all Balkan lands south of the Danube were in Orthodox hands once again. The phoenix had started its rise.

siege6.jpg

Orthodox troops attacking the walls of Belgrade

Superstar :D

I wonder how much the tickets to a Michael VIII gig would cost me.

RGB said:
Superstar :D

I wonder how much the tickets to a Michael VIII gig would cost me.

I heard he's going on a tour of Turkey soon.... :D

Just out of curiosity....how do you listen to the mood music? Do you actually finish the song or end it when your done reading the update?...

:) asd

Indeed the phoenix starts to rise, I can't wait until you give the Mongols their deserved punishment :D But in the mean, let's just kill the Hungarians ;)

I hear the Mongol deathknell tolling...

So because of your prestige the local hungarian counts give you their counties without a fight?

Not surprising from the AI. :D

But you made a nice story behind it! ;)