• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope for a speedy recovery asd21593! I'll drink to your health and the continuation of this AAR tonight. :p

No seriously, take it easy, chill out and make the best of the situation. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine said:
I hope for a speedy recovery asd21593! I'll drink to your health and the continuation of this AAR tonight. :p

No seriously, take it easy, chill out and make the best of the situation. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Thanks!

It's a little better today, so hopefully I'll be writing updates next week!

Then again, I also will be using next week to prepare (buy supplies, etc.) for the dreaded return to school. Oh God, when that happens, updates are gonna be much slower...

By now, its pretty obvious to me that my goal of finishing Part One and moving into EU3 by the end of the summer is not going to be accomplished...

:) asd

Some type of CK-EU3 conversor perhaps?

800th Post!

800th Post!

Sad way to have an 800th post, but don't expect an update any time soon. I have to return to school soon and the coming week will be very busy. Sorry!

Anyway.....800th Post!

Caught up finally, hadn't read for almost a month. Superb updates, asd, it was really epic and I must say your writing style made me change from the Mongols to the Byzantine side while I read. Excellent work!

Saint Mishgan, Patron of Bears and the Swiss

The Glorification Of Mishgan​

g10qc7.png

Greetings! As we go back to school this month, another saint is being glorified, Mishgan!

1. Congrats! Why don’t you start by telling us a bit about yourself:
Well, I am a Swissman of distant Russian origins. And as all Swissmen, I have an assault rifle lying next to my socks and underpants in my chest of drawers. Three weeks a year I am a tank grenadier with the Batallion de Grenadiers de Chars 18, a French speaking tank grenadier battalion of our glorious Swiss Army.
As of my civilian life, I am a student of law and a person who likes to lead a more or less active life. I go swimming and actively practice kendo. I also try to go out as much as possible, but I prefer bars to clubs.
I love classical music and rock/metal music. But I do not really limit myself to fixed musical choices. I can just as well bang my head to Blind Guardian and then listen to some R’n’B.

2. What is the origin of your username?
The origins are clouded in the mist of times and shadows of the past.

3. How did you discover Paradox games?
A friend of mine told me to try out Europa Universalis II. So I bought it and spent my nights playing it instead of going out and hunting for girlfriends. Then I tried out other games and settled on Vicky as my favourite.

4. How did you discover the forums?
I typed Paradox Entertainment/Interactive/don’t remember what at the time into Goggle.

5. Do you remember your first experience here?
Oh, sure as hell I do! I remember my very first messages of the forums as if it was just a couple minutes ago: “The server is busy, please try again later.” Actually, that did just happen a couple minutes ago.

6. Your Russian AAR is fantastic; do you have any advice on writing a history-book AAR?
I’d suggest most blatantly and without any sort of shame and regrets steal from other history books AARs. “Do not repair what is not broken,” as the saying goes, after all. If you see a good style, pleasant to the eye and to the brain, then use it. Do not commit plagiarism, though, like simply copy-pasting entire posts from an AAR and then just editing the names.
And don’t sigh for every word, ‘cause it’s already been written, composed and told anyway (cookie goes to whoever names the song and the singer).
Also try to balance out text and pictures and to have pictures sort of guide the reader, so that he isn’t overly bored reading those tl;dr posts of yours. Everybody loves pictures.

7. What was your favorite part to write about so far?
My favourite part to write about was surely Chapter 7 : Onwards to Tsargrad! Indeed, for some reason the F11 button just did not work and all my pretty screenshots were never taken. So I had to improvise completely and use my own made map to show the territorial changes, as well as find various pictures to illustrate the progress. And editing the minarets out on the Hagia Sophia allowed me to master a trick or two in Photoshop.
In the end, I think the result is quite nice.
I know that you only asked for one part, but I do have to mention the Intermezzo 5 : Russia’s Austrian Headache. I really enjoyed typing it out because the whole reasoning just goes against the entire gameplay perspective of Victoria. By all means, from a gameplay perspective, I should invade Austria now and grab those Galician provinces with my national POPs.
But from a storyline perspective, from that of the political one as it might have happened had my alternative history been the real one, I decided against. And as I love complicated politics (hey, I’m Swiss) I really enjoyed that intermezzo.

8. You went on a trip to “Tsargrad” (Constantinople, Istanbul) recently, how was that? Do you have any experiences you’d like to share from there?
Huge-City-upon-Bosphorus was just plain awesome. I think I might just as well go there again this autumn. Really, it is one of those cities you just have to see. And you just can’t see it in a week. Not even two.
As of the experiences: always check the taximeter when you get into a cab. The starting fee is 2 liras, not 20 as one driver tried to rip me off. But that’s about it. I shall not speak of anything else as I’d just spoil the fun for those who wish to go there.

9. Who are the influences on your AAR-writing?
Uhm… no idea.

10. Do you have any other advice for other AAR writers?
Yeah. Never, ever, ever do a full scale industrial overview in Victoria if you’re a major industrial power.

11. Do you have any favorite AARs?
Actually, not really. I can’t say that I read every single AAR out there, but those I do read I generally tend to like. However, I do admit that I prefer those with pictures rather than just plain text. And especially maps. I like screenshots with maps showing progress, allows the reader to follow the action.

12. Do you have a favorite experience on the forums?
Nope. But any female Paradox forum members (if there are any) can send me pictures of them in military fatigues and I’ll name that as my favourite experience.

13. What do you like most about AARs, AAR-writing, Paradox games, and the forums?
What I like most about Paradox games is world conquest. I have never yet managed to actually conquer the entire world, but my current Russian game, the one with the BeAARhug is the closest I got to it.
I also like taking a minor and turning it into a world power. Albeit it’s a tad harder in Vicky.

Once again, let us congratulate Saint Mishgan!

Last edited:
Edzako said:
Congratulations, you deserved it, could you post a link to your other AAR ?

Thank you, but... I don't have any other AAR. :confused:

Apart from that, thankies to all and to asd first of all. Albeit yeah, me as saint... interesting.

Dibs on the rivers of milk! I'm gonna turn them into rivers of absinthe :D

sorry for the long wait, i was busy!

Heaven On Earth

Europe 1268: Dawn Of A New Age
(Mood Music)

Jacquerie_meaux.jpg

After the defeat of the Mongols at Constantinople, Mongol incursions into the Orthodox Empire ceased. However, the Orthodox didn’t attack the Mongols either. Soon after the Siege of Constantinople, Emperor Manuel II signed a peace treaty with the Mongol leaders. Signed in 1244, it was to last for 30 years. Manuel II reluctantly signed the treaty, even if it meant that for 30 years, the Orthodox Empire would consist of only Greece, western Anatolia, and Egypt. Even though the Empire would be relatively small until the treaty had expired, it needed the rest. Over one million people had died during the Orthodox-Mongol War. The armies of both the Mongols and the Orthodox were devastated and would need a long time to recover. Cities across the Middle East and Russia were in ruins and some were either completely razed or abandoned. Neither the Mongols nor the Orthodox would be prepared to fight a war for a long time. For this reason, the Mongols did not attack Germany, saving that nation, and probably most of Western Europe, from certain conquest.

Further west, a war raged in Iberia from 1256-1261. The Leonese were led by King Alfonso X “the Wise.” First they fought against Aragon. Alfonso X led his armies across the Castillian plains with amazing speed. Completely surprising the Aragonese in their own land, the Leonese were sure to win the war mere weeks after it began. The Aragonese were taken off guard and were defeated by 1257.

CS010471.jpg

A depiction of the Leonese-Aragonese War

After that, Alfonso X led his armies into Moorish Portugal. It was here that the “Reconquista” really intensified. Leonese and Moorish armies battled back and forth for years, neither army making a significant breakthrough. Portugal was devastated, cities were razed and thousands died. But finally, in 1260, Alfonso X made a breakthrough in central Iberia and laid siege on the Moorish capital of Cordoba. The Moorish leadership panicked as supplies ran low and defeat seemed imminent. So, in 1261, they gave the Kingdom of Leon all of Portugal.

1268xz9.png

A map of Europe in 1268

On May 8th 1268, Emperor Manuel II was overthrown by the rioting populace of Constantinople. The entire populace of the Orthodox Empire was furious at Manuel II for his inaction against the Mongols. While his strategies of hoarding forces in key areas worked and effectively saved the Empire, it did cost the Empire over three quarters of it’s size. And even after peace had been signed, Manuel II had not attacked the Mongols since 1244. This was too much for the ever weakening Empire and its growing poor class and they stormed the Imperial Palace on the morning of May 8th. Even the Varangian Guard didn’t do anything to stop them. The mob stormed into the palace and overthrew Manuel II, killing him in the chaos and installed the leader of the mob, Michael Palaiologos as Emperor Michael VIII Palaiologos. During this time, the isolated province of Egypt had declared its independence in the chaos and bloodlessly installed their own emperor. The Komnenid dynasty had been overthrown. A new age had dawned.

michaelp.jpg

A depiction of Michael VIII Palaiologos

Last edited:
Tell me that the mongols will fall into a civil war (Or two, or three...)

That is the Mother of all Hungaries :eek:

Wow, lookit them Mongols.