+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaven On Earth: Part One

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Unimaginable horrors? After such a devastating victory? Imperial overreach, perhaps?
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Heaven On Earth

Emperor Alexius I: Horrors Unimaginable
    (Mood Music)

During the Siege of Jerusalem, the city of Alexandria was also being sieged. The city wasn’t very well fortified. Since its founding, it was an academic city, filled with the brightest minds from Archimedes to medieval times. So it’s no surprise that it fell to the Orthodox army quite easily. In fact, the non-Latin residents of Alexandria rioted in the city until the gates were forced open by the populace and in marched the forces of Orthodoxy to crush the weakened Latin army.

The commanders of the Orthodox forces in Egypt made sure to follow Alexius I’s example of benevolence and not slaughter the city. They granted religious freedom onto the inhabitants of the city and only killed the soldiers that fought against them. And again, the Latin residents were allowed safe passage to the port and were allowed to leave. A massive procession of Catholics marched out of the city, celebrated a last mass at the docks, and solemnly boarded the ships back to the Papacy and their respective homes in Western Europe.

Catholic priests celebrating a last mass at the port of Alexandria, just before they boarded the ships back to Rome.

And so, with the anticlimactic and near bloodless capture of Alexandria, the two Orthodox armies converged in Egypt. The leaderless Levantine Empire had already collapsed. And the Latin troops in Nubia were left abandoned. Finally, in the early months of 1105, Alexius and 75,000 Orthodox troops stood poised to enter Nubia and destroy the 20,000 Latin troops there.

But with the news of their entrapment, the Latins in Nubia turned to barbaric and suicidal tactics and started to slaughter the Nubian Copts. When news reached Alexius I, he force marched his army into Nubia at record speed. But it was too late. When they came to the large cities of Nubia like Dongola, they only saw smoldering remains. They discovered that all the people were gone. Going further into Nubia, they finally found the Copts, though not in the form they expected.

The aftermath of a Nubian massacre.

Hundreds of piles of skulls were scattered across the Nubian land. These “skull mountains,” as Alexius I and his men came to call them, were so vile, that some Orthodox troops fell sick at the sight of them. The surviving Copts of Nubia were starving and poor. Alexius I did everything in his power to help Nubia recover, but it wouldn’t be until years after his reign that the region would become what it had once been.

And to add insult to injury, it seemed as if the Latin army had disappeared completely. No one knows where the Latins went, though there are many theories. Some say that they sailed across the Red Sea to Arabia and started a new life there. Others say that they went to Ethiopia and raided cities there. Still others theorize that the 20,000 Latins were abducted by aliens, or that they traveled across the Sahara.

One thing is certain; they were not in Nubia, and Alexius I never found them. The most likely theory is that the Latins realized the futility of staying in Nubia, so they massacred the Nubians and sacked all the cities, and tried to migrate to a new land, most likely dying out in the Sahara. Though recent archeological expeditions show that there may be evidence that the Latins raided cities in Ethiopia before being killed.

By the end of 1105, Alexius I had done all he could to rebuild Nubia. So finally, the Orthodox army returned home. From 1103 to 1105, over 75,000 soldiers had died. And the numbers of killed Nubians are estimated at over 50,000. The unimaginable horrors for Orthodoxy had ended. But the horrors for the Catholics had just begun.
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

A Reader Challenge!

I am commissioning you readers with a narrative writing challenge. I don't want to spoil anything, so if you are interested in it, just PM me!

asd
    My AAR Library

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Ah, the Apotheosis of War, I hadn't expected to see that in this AAR.

The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Blasted Conniving Roman General_BT's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Wow... that would definitely be an unimaginable horror - and I can see how it might cause Latin Christianity to regret ever crossing the Orthodox Empire really soon...
    Awards
    My AARs:
    The Good One - Rome AARisen, a Byzantine AAR (Third map epilogue, 5-02-2012!)
    Table of Contents
    The Funny One (In Theory): Vikan Vojislavljevic is a Fool (Dead)
    The HOI2 One (Dead): Two Alexanders: Greece in the Age of Conflict (HOI2-Doomsday)
    The Teenage Girl One: Dear Diary, by Helene Palialogos (NEW UPDATE 06-10-10!)

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    What's the matter with those Latins??? Fortunately they were defeated, even though the byzantine troops didn't arrive in time to save the Nubians.
    It seems a period of prosperity approaches for the Empire
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

awwies... still not as bad as Timur the Lame.

Or Eshafans skull tower... or how was the name...
    and etc.

Disbanded?
    Aliens?
    Ethiopians?
    To Sahara?
    Arabia?

no one knows...

Nice chapter.
    Challenge?
    I could even do, I am too bored.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition

Horrors for the Catholic world? Count me in!

Cisár všetkých Slovákov demokratickid's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Wow! Scary Nubian Massacre!
    Current AAR: Das Vereinigte Königreich von Mitteleuropa - Last Updated: October 19, 2011
    My illustrious Inkwell is right here for your enjoyment!
    AWARDED: Irish Shamrock Cookie by King_Richard_XI
    I'VE BEEN CANONIZED

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGalactic Assault
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    A rather brutal end to the Levantine Empire.
    LibrAARian of the EU1 LibrAARy and the EU1 LibrAARy updates
    "Et pour ce devez amer, prisier, loer et honorer touz ceux a qui Dieu donne grace d'eulx trouver en pluseurs bonnes journees d'armes pour la guerre..."

Member; Ahistoric Association
    "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"-USA; Victoria (AARland Choice Award X3)
    The Ink Well: Advertise your AAR's Use it, Love it
    --- I've been Glorified! and Canonized!

Heaven On Earth

Emperor Alexius I: Domination
    (Mood Music)

From 1106-1108, Alexius I made his plans. He allied the Orthodox Empire with the Rus and assembled his armies. By the beginning of 1109, he had gathered a total force of 300,000 men, and the Rus had mustered about 100,000. Alexius I made complicated battle plans and sent his armies into their positions. After a meeting, both the Russian Tsar and Orthodox Emperor agreed to enact their plans on February 1st 1109.

That day would be the “blackest of days” for the Catholic world. It was the day when the Orthodox Empire and the Rus would declare war upon Hungary, the Holy Roman Empire, Norman Sicily, and the Papal States. The conflict would become known as the Orthodox-Catholic War. From all corners, the Orthodox and Rus invaded Hungary. A large Orthodox army invaded the Holy Roman Empire from Croatia, while two Orthodox armies invaded the Papal States and central Italy. And another army invaded Norman Sicily from Cyrenacia.

The Orthodox battle plans in the Orthodox-Catholic War.

The first to fall was Norman Sicily. Ever since the Orthodox-Adriatic War, the Normans had lost much of their riches. Their once proud and mighty fortress of Palermo had fallen into disrepair. The Orthodox soldiers that approached the citadel cautiously were shocked to see it falling apart. And with much relief, they simply stormed the castle through its gapping holes and easily captured it.

Orthodox infantry battling the remaining Norman cavalry in Palermo

Up in the north, the Rus also sent a secondary expedition to the pagan Baltic states. Usually considered part of the war, although not Catholic, they were the second to fall to the Orthodox nations. The outdated and outnumbered forces of the Baltic pagans were no match for the Imperially-supported Russian soldiers.

In Italy, Orthodox soldiers moved into central Italy rather quickly. However, Papal Rome was much better defended. Mercenaries and armies from across Europe had come to defend the Papacy from the Empire. Rome would be sieged for a long time considering its defenses. Another city that would be hard to overtake was Venice. The city was mostly on water and therefore, was also well-defended.

However, Venice would be bombarded, while Rome would be left alone. Alexius I demanded that Rome only be surrounded and never bombarded, as a bombardment of the Papacy would put the Empire at war with the entire Catholic world. But the country that would be most devastated by the Orthodox-Catholic War was Hungary. It was invaded on all sides by Russian and Imperial troops. It was in Hungary that the Catholic world would feel the same pain that Orthodoxy felt in Nubia.
    My AAR Library

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

poor magyars...
    bombarded?
    How?
    catapults?
    ballistas?

How can russia be united?
    and even do something in a war?
    something useful?

A nice war you have there.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    Excellent update! It's certainly a black day for the Catholic World. Let's see how far can Byzantium and the Rus can advance
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Blog Entries
    1. Heh, what happened in Russia? Who unified it?

2. Ugh...being cruel to the Hungarians?

3. Bombarded? As in lots of siege weaponry?

4. Not fixing the walls at Palermo, can't be a good idea.

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB
    1. Heh, what happened in Russia? Who unified it?
    That doesn't matter, mongols will crush them when they arrive

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Capibara
    That doesn't matter, mongols will crush them when they arrive
    They so won't!

And Russia will win Euro 2008!

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition

Nice chapter that one. The Hungarians are pretty damn screwed.

Cisár všetkých Slovákov demokratickid's Avatar
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    Well, I can justifiably say... See 'ya Hungary!
    Current AAR: Das Vereinigte Königreich von Mitteleuropa - Last Updated: October 19, 2011
    My illustrious Inkwell is right here for your enjoyment!
    AWARDED: Irish Shamrock Cookie by King_Richard_XI
    I'VE BEEN CANONIZED

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Wow, I guess the Rhomanoi are about to end the schism once and for all by unseating the Pontiff and removing his support. It's nice to see the Fourth Crusade actively pre-empted.
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: The Prince that was Promised - a Game of Thrones mod AAR for CKII

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB
    And Russia will win Euro 2008!
    Yes, of course , go Romania!
    Last edited by Capibara; 12-06-2008 at 17:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast