• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Van Diemen said:
Ok, the next version will be with cache files then. However this will significantly increase the size of the mod (about 178MB extra).

Holy crap. I'll need a new file host to post such a mod, as my current one only supports 60mb. Could the cache files be held in a seriously compressed archive? Given there's alot of them, the compression rate should be significant.

The first version (v1.0) of the Rome Improved Map Project is ready for download at Filefront. Check it out on in first post of this thread.

Last edited:
Namm said:
I have a question. Isn't it possible to expand the map north of the Black Sea? It's black nothing (PTI), but at least it's within the map, right?
Yes, it will be possible. However it is required to add new textures to the terrain, topology, rivers, colormap_hires and provinces files to fill in the expanded area's. As you can see that's a lot of work. So, we will now focus on the improvement of the current provinces. After that expanding the map is a logical next step.

Van Diemen said:
Yes, it will be possible. However it is required to add new textures to the terrain, topology, rivers, colormap_hires and provinces files to fill in the expanded area's. As you can see that's a lot of work. So, we will now focus on the improvement of the current provinces. After that expanding the map is a logical next step.
And, to the Indus?

mandead said:
And, to the Indus?
Probably so, however the more help the better and first things first, we have to update the current map.

As has oft been discussed, I think the Indus is the most sensible place for an eastern border. If & when you begin work on moving the map eastwards, let me know, and I'll aid you in any way I can. Know, however, that my map-editing skills are entirely non-existent. My modding skills extend to tampering with .txt files and making GFX for EUIII.

However, my limited skills are at your disposal, because my original dream (for want of a better word) is a map stretching from Finland in the north to the Indus in the south-east. IMO, the western & African borders are fine (for obvious reasons), though by extending south-east towards the Indus, pushing south adjacent to the Nile and thus extending Egypt into Ethiopia and Arabia would be fantastic. :)

Yeah, it would eventually be nice to be able to extend the map into central Asia, western India, northern Ethiopia, and some more barbarous provinces in northern Arabia. But as Van Diemen says, we're concentrating first on improving the existing map to give some more flavor and a larger range of options. That will have the most immediate effect on game play.

This project has a lot of promise. I would offer to help but sadly time is an issue for me right now. I will offer to host the project on my servers and even do a torrent version for it so the community have help support it if you guys are interested.

Are you planning on adding any general fixes or just doing the map work only?

I personally have been working on a large-scale cultural and religious modification to the game to better represent the world at the time. I have been incorporating it with my own game and I imagine we could release two versions of the map, one that is just a blank map that maintains the current base and one with modified cultures/religions. I also plan to do a lot more work on events that will better reflect internal politics of empires as they expand among other things, but the map is my first priority, which is why I'm happy to be helping with this.

Some big changes I've made is the introduction of a truly Mesopotamian cultural/religious makeup, Assyrian and Babylonian cultures belonging to it, with appropriate male/female and family names, a Mesopotamian religion with appropriate omens. Syrians split off as a new culture occupying the northern Levant. Messapic switched to the Illyrian group, more names/families for all cultures, Egyptian split off from north African culture to form its own native culture group, Numidians and Libyans now making up their own unique culture group. I might introduce a new North African religion separate from the Carthaginian/Phoenician religion, though in the same group of semitic religions. Egyptian is now its own separate pantheon outside of the Hellenistic one.

Right now my big question is whether to make a separate Samnite culture. They'd only been conquered by the Romans for a few years at the game's start. Hmm...

Eshmunazar said:
I personally have been working on a large-scale cultural and religious modification to the game to better represent the world at the time. I have been incorporating it with my own game and I imagine we could release two versions of the map, one that is just a blank map that maintains the current base and one with modified cultures/religions. I also plan to do a lot more work on events that will better reflect internal politics of empires as they expand among other things, but the map is my first priority, which is why I'm happy to be helping with this.

Some big changes I've made is the introduction of a truly Mesopotamian cultural/religious makeup, Assyrian and Babylonian cultures belonging to it, with appropriate male/female and family names, a Mesopotamian religion with appropriate omens. Syrians split off as a new culture occupying the northern Levant. Messapic switched to the Illyrian group, more names/families for all cultures, Egyptian split off from north African culture to form its own native culture group, Numidians and Libyans now making up their own unique culture group. I might introduce a new North African religion separate from the Carthaginian/Phoenician religion, though in the same group of semitic religions. Egyptian is now its own separate pantheon outside of the Hellenistic one.

Right now my big question is whether to make a separate Samnite culture. They'd only been conquered by the Romans for a few years at the game's start. Hmm...
this really interests me, i also had something similar in my mind (yes evensamnites), but have already a lot things to do, also it would be a tiny bit ahistorical, as i would seperate spartan from the main greek culture (making it a subculture), but nothing else would be like this, including lycean culture for central asia minor is a must i think, if i am not wrong in this era they were still dominant around there

Hi, Van Diemen, I just got Rome and I downloaded your map mod. However, I only get clear water where the new provinces should be. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Eshmunazar said:

This sounds very interesting indeed. Where can I download your mod?

Praetor said:
Hi, Van Diemen, I just got Rome and I downloaded your map mod. However, I only get clear water where the new provinces should be. What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
I don't know, did you do exactly as was instructed? It sounds like a problem in your default.map file (sea_starts at 276 and max_provinces at 343 should be correct for this mod). It should work. However I have had multiple people complain about getting the provinces to work (a lot of strange problems seem to occur if you use map mods). If more people start complaining I will upload a large version of it that contains all the proper cache files too, but for everyone who doesn't like to wait a long time to download it, the current version should work ok as well. Has anyone downloaded this mod and been able to get it right? Please someone post a success story, otherwise people might think that this mod doesn't work at all.

EDIT: I thought about the problem and maybe I know what it is. Paradox has (how irritating) made every file a read only file. Maybe that is the problem, because I have been editing the files and of course had to switch the read-only option off. I don't know, but it could help if you do the same (especially if you try to overwrite).

Last edited:
I'm starting work on an antiquity modification, and I was wondering whether you'd like to work on this map together? No rush, obviously. As I've said before, eventually I would like to stretch it to Arabia and the Indus. I realise this will take a long time and a lot of hard work, though. ;)

It just makes sense for us to pool our resources as opposed to work on two very similar maps (presumably) at the same time. I'm sure you understand.

What are your thoughts on the matter, Van Diemen?

EDIT: Can someone please help me? How do I edit the map? :D

Last edited:
Van Diemen said:
I don't know, did you do exactly as was instructed? It sounds like a problem in your default.map file (sea_starts at 276 and max_provinces at 343 should be correct for this mod). It should work. However I have had multiple people complain about getting the provinces to work (a lot of strange problems seem to occur if you use map mods). If more people start complaining I will upload a large version of it that contains all the proper cache files too, but for everyone who doesn't like to wait a long time to download it, the current version should work ok as well. Has anyone downloaded this mod and been able to get it right? Please someone post a success story, otherwise people might think that this mod doesn't work at all.

EDIT: I thought about the problem and maybe I know what it is. Paradox has (how irritating) made every file a read only file. Maybe that is the problem, because I have been editing the files and of course had to switch the read-only option off. I don't know, but it could help if you do the same (especially if you try to overwrite).

Hello Van Diemen I followed your instructions to the letter and your mod works perfectly.

I think that people who try to combine your mod with other map mods may face problems because any mod seems to have problems generating its own cache unlike in EU3. This could be a Paradox problem and not yours.

I think you should make sure your mod runs only as a mod without people having to make changes to their vanilla files. This may mean uploading a new cache file with your mod but you could save yourself a lot of heartache.

mandead said:
I'm starting work on an antiquity modification, and I was wondering whether you'd like to work on this map together? No rush, obviously. As I've said before, eventually I would like to stretch it to Arabia and the Indus. I realise this will take a long time and a lot of hard work, though. ;)

It just makes sense for us to pool our resources as opposed to work on two very similar maps (presumably) at the same time. I'm sure you understand.

What are your thoughts on the matter, Van Diemen?

EDIT: Can someone please help me? How do I edit the map? :D
What are your skills or do you have some good historical knowledge about certain areas of the map? Can you do other things except modding the map? Providing good info maybe? If you do want to learn about modding the map this webpage of the EUIIIwiki has taught me everything I need to know. You could try it out yourself if you want to learn how to mod the map. However everyone with some additional expert historical knowledge, that could be of use, is always welcome too! And yes, working together is no problem. However I think it would be a little easier if you would join us instead of starting a whole mod by yourself. I read your thread and will be making something very similar (adding nations would be of course necessary if you add new provinces and extend the map). However having the house divided into two mods (especially because you mod is just trying to get started) will not work in favor of our goal to make these new maps the standard for every EU: Rome gamer and mod.

Modestus said:
Hello Van Diemen I followed your instructions to the letter and your mod works perfectly.

I think that people who try to combine your mod with other map mods may face problems because any mod seems to have problems generating its own cache unlike in EU3. This could be a Paradox problem and not yours.

I think you should make sure your mod runs only as a mod without people having to make changes to their vanilla files. This may mean uploading a new cache file with your mod but you could save yourself a lot of heartache.
I'm glad that some people can get the mod inserted into their game. I already thought about uploading it with cache files, but there is one problem. It makes the mod awfully big instead of just uploading the key files that would give you access to the new provinces too. Maybe I will upload it with a correct cache some day, but that would be by the time that the first stage of this mod is complete (Improving the current map). I believe that it will not take us very long to get there, since we are already making good progress with both Greece (Van Diemen and Eshmunazar) and Egypt (veritas and Eshmunazar).

Last edited:
New province text files have been sent to Van Dieman for Greece. The new provinces of Acarnania, Arcadia, Attica, Boeotia, Chalcidice, the Cyclades, the Dodecanese, Kerkyra, Magnesia and Messene have been added. There will be two new Greek starting states, Athens and Corinth. Both are minor players, and both will be tributary states of Macedonia at the game's start, but it still leaves more options for the player and reflects the fact that these areas were still independent and able to affect politics in the area. Another new nation will be added, Kerkyra, which was an Illyrian corsair nation on the island of Corfu (Kerkyra) which will eventually be taken by the Romans as their stepping stone to Greece.

Here's the new Greece as Van Dieman and I have set it up.

Deep Blue is Macedonia, composed of Macedonia, Chalcidice, Magnesia, Thessaly, Acarnania, Boeotia, Euboea and the Cyclades.

Yellow is Epirus, composed of Epirus and Kerkyra.

Gray-Blue is Aetolian League, composed of Aetolia.

Magenta is the Achaean League, composed of Achaea and Arcadia.

Pea Green is Sparta, composed of Lakonia and Messene.

Orange is Corinth, composed of Argolis.

Sea Green is Athens, composed of Attica.

Purple is Rhodes, composed of Rhodes and the Dodecanese.