• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Van Diemen said:
Yes, I still need to do these, but don't be afraid I will make them nice or do nothing with them at all if they are far too small (and begin to look messy)

My personal feelings is that provinces so small will create a biais by making this area of the world too important compared to, say, the Anatolian Aegan coast which still has only three provinces. I would suggest not so many small provinces. Or at least balance the other side of the Aegan coast by creating more provinces there too, since at that time both shores equally enjoyed a multiplicity of Greek city-states

Great job with creating Messana. I do have a question, when I start a game, Syracusae is part blue on the terrain map. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Anyway to fix it?

Thanks

Kosoy said:
Great job with creating Messana. I do have a question, when I start a game, Syracusae is part blue on the terrain map. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Anyway to fix it?

Thanks
Have you read the installation instructions? It says that you have to delete the old "prov_texture_100" file. EU: Rome will make a new correct texture for it if it's not there. If you do this your problem will be solved.

Numahr said:
My personal feelings is that provinces so small will create a biais by making this area of the world too important compared to, say, the Anatolian Aegan coast which still has only three provinces. I would suggest not so many small provinces. Or at least balance the other side of the Aegan coast by creating more provinces there too, since at that time both shores equally enjoyed a multiplicity of Greek city-states
I agree with you, however I'm really not the historian here so I trust Eshmunazar suggestions. I have already stated that if the provinces are too small (like a lot of the suggested island provinces) I will not implement them. Also the game needs to remain balanced (you could however ask how balanced it is now with v1.1) and adding a lot of southern Greek provinces without adding in some extra northern provinces will treat Macedonian hegemony over Greece (maybe that good, maybe it isn't).

Van Diemen said:
Have you read the installation instructions? It says that you have to delete the old "prov_texture_100" file. EU: Rome will make a new correct texture for it if it's not there. If you do this your problem will be solved.

Hmm, that is weird. I did delete the "prov_texture_100" file before I wrote my first post, and it was blue. Now, I did it again, and it worked. :D
Once again, great work.

Rome is in Lucania

Me again, I have a question. In my new game I noticed everything moved slightly. Sardinia appeared. The capital of Rome is now in Lucania and the province of Roma is further north. Is that accurate? Thanks

P.S. Come to think of it, all names of all provinces shifted somehow. I have Malta where Syracusae is supposed to be. Mare Superum where Massena is supposed to be. Its weird.

Kosoy said:
Me again, I have a question. In my new game I noticed everything moved slightly. Sardinia appeared. The capital of Rome is now in Lucania and the province of Roma is further north. Is that accurate? Thanks
No, it isn't. Could you post a screenshot please?

I think there is something wrong with your install. I haven't seen those kind of errors.

Well, I checked how things are in my game and they are ok. Rome is still the capital of The Republic of Rome. I don't know what went wrong with you, but I do know that if you follow the instruction everything should work. I have posted this screenshot to show you things are working as the should.

rome13vd6.png

I have to run off to school but I definitely plan to adjust provinces in Asia Minor and Thrace. Tunisia and the rest of North Africa will probably end up getting a big adjustment to reflect the individual Phoenician settlements and Numidian tribes. Mesopotamia will probably get a large adjustment as well to reflect the cities there. But Greece will (and very much should) be the most densely-packed provincial area, both to give greater options to players and to represent the importance of the area.

Eshmunazar said:
I have to run off to school but I definitely plan to adjust provinces in Asia Minor and Thrace. [...] But Greece will (and very much should) be the most densely-packed provincial area, both to give greater options to players and to represent the importance of the area.

OK, this is indeed re-insuring. It actually sounds very exciting... :)

Altered province files completed:
- Apuani (90)
- Rome (93)
- Samnium (94)
- Campania (95)
- Lucania (96)
- Apulia (97)
- Tarentum (98)
- Ager Bruttius (99)
- Syracuse (100)
- Tharros (102)
- Oenotria (272)
- Venusia (273)
- Latium (274)
- Etruria (275)
- Karalis (276)

If anyone notices any glaring errors, let me know. I have for the most part kept the overall population the same size despite more provinces, except where I thought it should be altered a bit, Etruria and Apuania together have a higher population for instance, Syracuse had its population increased as well, alone it was one of the major cities at the time and a 15 population doesn't cut it when you consider it takes up a large part of Sicily as a province. I've altered population increases later, but I'm more worried about an accurate starting point. But overall this should make up, with your Messena province, a brand new Italy and Sardinia which will be a bit more fun.

Last edited:
Van Dieman, Make sure to put a version sequence as you incorporate new stuff into your mod. I noticed that others are making combo mods and I am not sure if they are updated with latest mod changes.

Eshmunazar said:
Altered province files completed:
- Apuani (90)
- Rome (93)
- Samnium (94)
- Campania (95)
- Lucania (96)
- Apulia (97)
- Tarentum (98)
- Ager Bruttius (99)
- Syracuse (100)
- Tharros (102)
- Oenotria (272)
- Venusia (273)
- Latium (274)
- Etruria (275)
- Karalis (276)

If anyone notices any glaring errors, let me know. I have for the most part kept the overall population the same size despite more provinces, except where I thought it should be altered a bit, Etruria and Apuania together have a higher population for instance, Syracuse had its population increased as well, alone it was one of the major cities at the time and a 15 population doesn't cut it when you consider it takes up a large part of Sicily as a province. I've altered population increases later, but I'm more worried about an accurate starting point. But overall this should make up, with your Messena province, a brand new Italy and Sardinia which will be a bit more fun.
ohhh....

just to mention it, your mod inspired me to give the mamertines Messana as a nation of their own(well, atleast for 20 years :p )

I tested the map and there are still some issues. For example the ports do not appear, although I have positioned them in the position.txt file. Maybe they need to be positioned in water only, but I will try that later. Furthermore the border seems to do some strange things. Now a border (red line) runs from South Italy towards Carthage over the seas. However I do think that I can resolve these issues and apart from the issues I think the new provinces are looking great. I will probably upload them after I have finished to solve the problems.

lpremus said:
Van Dieman, Make sure to put a version sequence as you incorporate new stuff into your mod. I noticed that others are making combo mods and I am not sure if they are updated with latest mod changes.
I will, that Messana province was only a pilot.

Last edited:
Van Diemen said:
I tested the map and there are still some issues. For example the ports do not appear, although I have positioned them in the position.txt file. Maybe they need to be positioned in water only, but I will try that later. Furthermore the border seems to do some strange things. Now a border (red line) runs from South Italy towards Carthage over the seas. However I do think that I can resolve these issues and apart from the issues I think the new provinces are looking great. I will probably upload them after I have finished to solve the problems.

Hello Van Diemen nice work there, I would like to point out to you the problems I was having with the Colourmap_hire.bmp see link here.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352269

Now you may be doing everything correctly when generating a cache in a mod folder but I found at least for me the colourmap_hires.bmp caused problems. (could have been my fault)

I did not look at how the game handles the provinces and borders but its possible that the mod is still not generating a proper cache file. Just to be on the safe side I would suggest you back up all the vanilla files that you intend to change also rename your vanilla cache and colourtime_map. Create a new blank cache\ province_textures_ folder and generate a new cache and colourtime_map in the default game and see does this make your changes without any problems.

I am slightly worried that all mods for the map may need to be uploaded with their own cache file that was generated by the modder in their default folders.

Having similar issues. After incorporating Massana into my mod, all the province names were mixed up, and there was a text error in the top right hand side of the screen. I do realise this may have been a result of my combination of mods, but seeing as how others are having the same problem using yours alone, this seems less likely. Tried to delete the cache as suggested, no change (except, of course, a much longer loading period).

I'd really like to reincorporate this mod into mine (Sicily was the primary theatre of the First Punic War, and two provinces is not enough), so any help would be appreciated.

Ok, the next version will be with cache files then. However this will significantly increase the size of the mod (about 178MB extra).