• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mike6979 said:
I have reworked both the vanilla and your map.

My largest changes have been getting rid of the later years huge pop jumps,
making Asia minor a tad more populous, removing a few people from Mesopotamia, Redistributing the population in Asia minor towards the west and the coasts. Um, i removed a number of people from the Carthaginian provinces, especially Libya/Cyrene. Added some Pop to Egypt.

For example, Italy had about 4m people south of the Po in 474, Carthage as a total probably didn't have 2m in total including Southern Spain in 474.

Syria had about 2m+ people in 474, but Palestine only had maybe 400,000.

At this point lower Mesopotamia only had about 500,000 people total while Assyria et al had about 750,000 people. The entire population of coastal Tripolis and Cyrene was only 300,000 or so with another 100,000 nomads wandering the desert to the south.

On the other hand, Western Persia up through Azerbaijan (today) there were 3m+ people which the game does not really reflect.

Greece, Macedonia, Epirus, had about 2.5m or a hair less. Epirus had no where near the population or culture this game gives it. Aetolia should have fewer people.

Asia minor had 5m or so people, with 2m+ in Bithnia, Pegamum, Lydia, Caria.

Tunisia had a total pop of about 1m+ at this time. 700,000 in Morocco, 1.5m or so in todays Algeria.

One thing this game does wrong is it follows the wacked out capitalist model that everything always increases. That is just not how the world works. In this period population was holding steady or in some cases falling with the only real rise coming in Asia Minor and Italy, and Italy's increase was a mix of more land under cultivation in the north and the huge influx of slaves. But even this only brought the population of Italy south of the Po up to 5m, and north of the Po to 2m.

Mike
It looks like you have done some research, on what do you base these numbers on? If you would like, you could hand over the province.txt files and I will give them to the team so that we can implement them. BTW how many people does one population represent? You will of course be credited properly, perhaps we should continue this by PM.

A flag for Arevaci
AVI.jpg

with a scepter found at Numantia as guideline.

And a flag i made when i had nothing to do
GRE.jpg

guess it could be used for a greco-indian nation or something.

vanin said:
A flag for Arevaci
AVI.jpg

with a scepter found at Numantia as guideline.

And a flag i made when i had nothing to do
GRE.jpg

guess it could be used for a greco-indian nation or something.
Thank you very much vanin. I really appreciate it and of course I will credit you for making these flags. They are quite good, certainly good enough for EU: Rome and the RIMP. I really like them!

Van Diemen said:
It looks like you have done some research, on what do you base these numbers on? If you would like, you could hand over the province.txt files and I will give them to the team so that we can implement them. BTW how many people does one population represent? You will of course be credited properly, perhaps we should continue this by PM.

and in the provinces of dalmate, scodra , taulanti and dardania around 280 bc there were around 450000 ppl( however i thin k taulanti should be splited in two provinces dyrrah and apollonia they were two provinces even historically with two citi states founded since mid seventh century bc. it would be historically realistic to split this part in two provinces and would make the game even more realistic

Agim I Muzaka said:
and in the provinces of dalmate, scodra , taulanti and dardania around 280 bc there were around 450000 ppl( however i thin k taulanti should be splited in two provinces dyrrah and apollonia they were two provinces even historically with two citi states founded since mid seventh century bc. it would be historically realistic to split this part in two provinces and would make the game even more realistic

just to clearify that the province of taulanti had around 242 bc 5 amphiteathers with 9000, 8000, 3500, 3000 and 1200 seats so imagine the population around 160000

Another sneakpeak

Not much happened recently, though the annoucement of paradox that a new expansion pack will be released in Q4 2008 has had some impact on the team. As you may know we work with an other mod group on some gameplay issues for EU: Rome, however a nice faction system, which I was creating will become obsolete when Vae Victis will be released. Thus this (and more things because of Vae Victis) has lead to some new questions whether or not we should continue with the other mod that confuses on gameplay.
Of course for the map modding part of the project (RIMP) everything will stay the same and we shall continue to improve and expand the map when ready. Maybe the RIMP team will even become reinforced by the members of the other team!

Current work on RIMP
Currently I'm working on introducing a new feature for Rome. Maybe feature isn't the best word to choose, but it will influence all strategic decisions you are going to make in the future when the next RIMP version will be released. You are probably thinking right now: "get on with it!" Okay, fair enough. The new system we are going to introduce is a Climate system for the EU: Rome map. This system works more or less identical to the Climate system that is in EUIII. This will mean that every province will have a certain type of climate depending on the actual climate and terrain. Furthermore a dynamic winter system will ensure that during the winter months some provinces could become very dangerous for an army that's trying to cross. At the same time Desert like provinces will also create new problems for armies. We are going to try to make the whole Climate system more dynamical by introducing some temporary bonuses or penalties, such as heavy rain or drought. This could mean that even a Desert climate could have a year with reasonable harvest (and thus tax income and population growth).

climatesbetawl0.jpg

You can see the new climate system in this screenshot. There are the dynamic winter effects and the fixed province modifier that indicates the climate. Of course we may still change the system as well, since we are currently in the start-up phase of this new system.

Please do not ask when the next version will be ready. It will come in time, when we feel that everything is ready and working properly.

Also besides the climate system, we are working on the Gallia and Hispania (Gaul and Iberia) map improvements. They are coming around nice as well, though still some work needs to be done and that could take at least some weeks for the person, who needs to make the province.txt files. Furthermore the work done by Mike (see the earlier posts in this thread) will likely become implemented to make the project even more realistic and better balanced. So, stay tuned on this thread for more info and keep supporting us to speed up the process (still need a lot of new flags)!

Last edited:
I was running through some files and found out that the current download version doesn't have trade goods section in localisation file text.csv :)

That should be correct for now, since version 1.3 still uses the same trade goods as EU: Rome. This will change with the next release however.

Hmm, I installed the mod and couldn't see the trade goods descriptions. I had to copy the trade goods section from the original text.csv to your modified one.

Bakito said:
Hmm, I installed the mod and couldn't see the trade goods descriptions. I had to copy the trade goods section from the original text.csv to your modified one.
You are right. Sorry for that. Will adjust it in the next version, but I believe that everyone can add these goods into the file text.csv as well. So, no need to make a hotfix just for that.

Thanks for this bugreport!

How it's going with this mod? Or is it cancelled?

GustavWasa said:
How it's going with this mod? Or is it cancelled?
It's just a matter of time before I get all the work done by everyone. The project is still alive, it's just on a much slower pace compared to when we started.

Do you have any definitive sources you use for, say, a region like Illyria, or is most of the mods work about adjusting more than entirely redrawing the map? I'm also doing a map project, orientated around 356 BC or so, and am having a heck of a time finding any particularly good sources to reference. But I don't want to just make up crap either.

orwell said:
Do you have any definitive sources you use for, say, a region like Illyria, or is most of the mods work about adjusting more than entirely redrawing the map? I'm also doing a map project, orientated around 356 BC or so, and am having a heck of a time finding any particularly good sources to reference. But I don't want to just make up crap either.

Our cartographic work is essentially (but not only) based on the huge and very accurate Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World (Princeton University Press, 2000), which covers the period between the archaic times and the late Antiquity, from Spain to India and Scandinavia to Arabia/Eritrea.

Here is the website : http://www.unc.edu/awmc/bafaq_whatis.html
And a map extract : http://www.unc.edu/awmc/baUpdate_22.html

Unfortunately, it is very expensive but it may be present in some libraries.

Progress update for the next version

A few weeks have passed without any real progress, though I'm quite happy to annouce that work on the next version is now back on schedule. I have the province.txt files now and we are currently working on improving Italy and Sicily again. Work on Gallia, Hispania and Cisalpina is almost finished now, though the next version will no doubly lack a lot of the new nations, because of flag design problems (please sent us some more flags!) At first things will probably be a little different from vanilla EU: Rome. Not only did we implement new trade goods, a lot of the tribal countries have been removed from the earliest start date as well. The idea is that they will be added later in the game and at a later start date, we have done this to restrict the major powers a little more by letting them expand only on the expense of other civilized powers or colonization of "barbarian" provinces. Though this may still of course change I do think that we are going to do this. For all the people that like to play with uncivilized tribal countries this may be a little disappointing, but ultimately it is the best solution to make EU: Rome as realistic as possible. I hope you will all have enough trust in us when we say that this is the best solution.

Here are some pictures of the next version:
galliapreviewut9.jpg

hispaniapreviewqu5.jpg

cisalpinapreviewtu5.jpg

What happened with India?