• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regarding back-stabbing treachery - under the Lycurgan laws Spartan youths were taught to steal, to cheat, and generally employ all the underhanded tricks they could think of to win their battles. A little back-stabbing seems properly traditional. :)

Murmurandus: Thanks! Backstabbing and treachery are quite the cottage-Industry

English Patriot: 2 for 2 as a Grand Strategy in War!

Berrie: No problem: Achaea has a port, which I'm sure Archidamus can find some lucky buyer for!

comagoosie: they don't do it for the money, that's for sure

stnylan: Hmmm...so that makes Archidamus a reactionary conservative! :eek:

502-502...busy year

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

Achaea and Eudamidas Have Bad Days, 11 January 502 AUC to 23 September 502 AUC

09-01.jpg

Fortunately, Epirus has sided with us.

Unfortunately, Macedon picked those brown-nosing Achaeans to back.

09-02.jpg

Fortunately, Acrotatus is a pretty good general – for a lousy traitor.

09-03.jpg

The Aetolians attacked Epirus instead of us, so Acrotatus had plenty of time to storm Achaea…soon those villains – and all of their scrumptious little Helots will be mine!

09-04.jpg

Ha! It is mine! I have achieved my goal. Not only is Sparta a player in the world of international carnage and mayhem once more, but I actually managed to crush my hated foe! Aetolia and Macedon – with the ringleader Achaea destroyed – signed peace treaties.

Well. Now that that’s done, I don’t really know what to do with the rest of my life. I mean, those two goals have pretty well consumed every waking moment.

Maybe I’ll take up shuffle-board…or maybe work on that Epic Poem I’ve always wanted to write…Yes!

That’s it! I know what to do now…I shall write that Epic Poem of Hubert the Silent Titan! I shall start work at…*HURK*

09-05.jpg

Hello. I am King Eudamidas…my father passed away, which was a shame, but, you know, life goes on. Anyway, I have some really big plans for Sparta, I mean real ambitious ones. But, I am getting ahead of myself. First we need to see what father left the other children. Here, let us look through his will togeth…hey! What the? That can't be right. Son of a Bitch! But I’m way older! And I’ve been a Governor, an Admiral. I’ve lead important embassies to our friends and enemies.

This…this is an outrage!

*throws down Will in disgust before storming out of the Royal Hut*

09-06.jpg

----------
Inscription from the Temple of Archidamus, Sparta

Great Archidamus, scion of the Eurpontid line,
Did sharpen Spartan swords, save the stoic Spartan day,
Finding buried Lacedaemeon courage and heroes sublime.
Spartan spears moved proudly through famed Thermopylae.

Achaeans grown prideful were humbled in time,
Thracian women weep wildly and for false freedom whine.
Macedonians and Aetolians coated Spartan swords with grime,
Brave Epirus clove to us, seeing where the dice do lay.

Sparta’s King, called to the gods, to be toasted full with wine,
To the peak of Olympus will Great Archidamus climb,
And with Three Hundred Shades, he will proudly dine,
A modern day Lycurgus, he has shown us the Spartan Way.

And thus passes Archidamus. Somehow, against all odds, his reign was a success! Don’t ask me how, because the author clearly doesn’t know what he is doing! Who will be the new King of Sparta? Apparantly not Eudamidas! Well then, who is left? Well, you’ll have to tune in for the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid to find out!

Alfred Packer said:
*throws down Will in disgust before storming out of the Royal Hut*
:rofl:

How fitting! A royal hut...

Will Eudamidas be backstabbed by his own siblings? That would also be fitting...

Good work, Archidamus... against all odds and such... :D

Now, let's see how his successor will mess things up again... :D

Went to a younger son did it?

70 is a good age for a King. He's been a success, despite everything. Sparta could end up with a weak-willed submissive. I wouldn't give him good odds on reaching 70 or conquering a sheep. You still have to beat Macedonia to become a major power.

That was a nice little war :)

And with Three Hundred Shades, he will proudly dine, is just precious :D

Berrie: forget the siblings...Eudamidas was backstabbed by the master himself - his dear old dad.

comagoosie: Thanks! and yeah, they sold the stockade remember!

Murmurandus: doubtless, he will

stnylan: yep...which is just as well.

Chief Ragusa: yes, Macedonia is a tough nut...will the new King be up to the challange? we shall see

hjarg: thanks!

502-505 Rocking it Alcetus Style

Alcetus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

My Two Wives, 23 September 502 AUC to 12 March 505 AUC

10-01.jpg

Hello. My name is Alcetus, and I am the new King. My old mentor has passed away, sadly, while I was off commanding the Fleet, so I am kind of on my own here.

I mean, Eudamidas could probably give me some tips on ruling, since he was Governor of Thracia for so long…of course he was a thieving scoundrel, so I probably wouldn’t take his advice anyway…probably why daddy passed him over in his will.

In any case, he won’t talk to me.

10-02.jpg

I’m going ahead and taking out a loan to host a Triumph for Acrotatus. This is for two reasons: 1 – he did lead the conquest of Achaea. And 2 – he is Charis’ father-in-law and I know that would make her happy.

10-03.jpg

I’ve married Hypatia of the Proctid Family. She is very much “Old School.” It’s kind of scary. Everywhere I go its like: “Alcetus, come back with your lunch-bucket or on it!” “Alcetus, come back with the dry-cleaning or on it!” “Alcetus, come back with the newspaper or on it.”

10-04.jpg

The Outlying towns in Laconia have rebelled! I would suspect they are Eudamidas Partisans, but no one likes that guy.

10-05.jpg

Well, that was unsettling. I think it is time to check with the gods, so I am headed to Delphi to see if this is a one time revolt, or if there is going to be more trouble.

10-06.jpg

Oh Great Oracle of Delphi! Give me a message! I am King of Sparta and I need to know: am I facing Civil War?

Go and free the Athenians.

Ooohhhkkaayyy. Thanks for the advice. Um. So, how about at home: What’s the deal there…Civil War? Yes? No?

Yeah, okay, thanks. Whatever.

Fricken waste of time.

Alcetus, what the Oracle clearly meant was that the gods favor the bold…not mealy-mouthed half-wits…Apollo clearly wants you to liberate Greece from those Ham-Handed Macedonians! You are disliked because you have done nothing! Now Go, Conquer Athens and return with your shield or on it!

Okay Hypatia…I get it. We will make war on Macedon, if that’s what the gods want, but we still need to recover from the Achaean War before we do anything like that…besides, I want the priests to read over the Oracle and see if they agree with your assessment.

Chicken

I heard that.

10-07.jpg

And, of course, it is only right that Sparta properly thank the gods for all the favor they showed us during daddy’s reign. And, since the priests and I generally agree that father’s showed himself to not just be a king, but to be a Hero, I am dedicating a temple to him on our Acropolis as part of the festivities.

I will sacrifice 100 virgins on the alter – No! just kidding. Dad was right. I do feel pretty stupid for suggesting that. No, it will be 20 white bulls!

10-08.jpg

I have named her after my dear mother. Hopefully, this doesn’t mean she will be insane too.

10-09.jpg

Dear Hypatia, unwilling to rest after giving birth (she thought it was unmanly), has died.

True to form even in death, the house helots drug her back home on her purse. It must have taken them forever.

10-10.jpg

I have remarried. Thorakis maybe cross-eyed and walk with a lurch, but at least she won’t be nagging me about coming home “on stuff,” so I am okay.

Well, if you were expecting the glorious conquests and stabs in the back to continue, well, you might have to wait a bit. Alcetus seems to be resting on his father’s laurels. But with a popularity of 29%, will he be able to rest for long? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

Alfred Packer said:
Oh Great Oracle of Delphi! Give me a message! I am King of Sparta and I need to know: am I facing Civil War?

Ooohhhkkaayyy. Thanks for the advice. Um. So, how about at home: What’s the deal there…Civil War? Yes? No?

Yeah, okay, thanks. Whatever.

Fricken waste of time.

Alcetus, what the Oracle clearly meant was that the gods favor the bold…not mealy-mouthed half-wits…Apollo clearly wants you to liberate Greece from those Ham-Handed Macedonians! You are disliked because you have done nothing! Now Go, Conquer Athens and return with your shield or on it!

Okay Hypatia…I get it. We will make war on Macedon, if that’s what the gods want, but we still need to recover from the Achaean War before we do anything like that…besides, I want the priests to read over the Oracle and see if they agree with your assessment.

Chicken

I heard that.

"True to form even in death, the house helots drug her back home on her purse. "

That was the most hilarious chapter ever!!!

Seriously, does this mean that war with Macedonia is on the horizon?

Nah, it only means he's looking for excuses not to go to war, like having no money, no loyalty, no wife, no heirs, no friends, no luck, and-so-forh-and-so-on... :D

Not quite the ideal of a Spartan King :)

I posted in this AAR yesterday to say how much I was enjoying it but my post seems to have disappered.

*Wonders if it has soething to do with the fact that everytime I click on AAR forums I'm made to log in again*

Anyhow, loving this aar. :cool:

Alfred Packer said:
I’ve married Hypatia of the Proctid Family. She is very much “Old School.” It’s kind of scary. Everywhere I go its like: “Alcetus, come back with your lunch-bucket or on it!” “Alcetus, come back with the dry-cleaning or on it!” “Alcetus, come back with the newspaper or on it.”

You made me spill my milk. Of course, i should now better not to drink milk when reading your AAR, but it's your fault anyway. Now come back with the new episode or on it! :D

Berrie and comagoosie: Thanks for the rolling heads!

comagoosie: weakwilled, yet devout men never shirk the gods' marching orders!

Murmurandus: as much as he'd like to sit home...

stnylan: it's too bad Hypatia died...I'll bet she'd have whupped him into shape...or just whupped him.

Garuda: Thanks! I'm glad you like it so far

hjarg: Milk! MILK! Only Heroic Drinks like Orange Juice may be consumed while reading this AAR!

Chief Ragusa: If I had any money, I could have seen about seducing him (or if I'd even considered that option :p I'm not very good at this)