• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
488-491

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

Gongs of War, 31 March 488 AUC to 1 January 491 AUC

06-01.jpg

I learned a valuable lesson about under funding the army.

That lesson was: if you under fund the army, you won’t go bankrupt. Also, if you pay them for a couple of months, they will usually be willing to fight again.

06-02.jpg

Our good friends Macedon have gone to war with Illyria. They have also requested our support.

Since having a big, strong country as Macedon as our ally is useful, I will of course agree.

I won’t bother telling their envoy that Sparta’s support is just going to be moral.

06-03.jpg

Stuttering Ephron made the interesting observation that both Pontus and our hated foe, Bithynia, home to a rich supply of delectable, juicy Helots, have gone to war with Armenia. Usually, this would not matter to us, but well, Bithynia and Thracia are far in the West. Bithynia and Pontus’ armies are marching far to the East.

Don’t make me do the math for you.

Hopefully Macedon supports me better in my war than I am supporting them in their war.

Time to pay the troops!

06-04.jpg

I hate marching through the Pass at Thermopylae. I always feel like Leonidas’ statue is glaring at me with disapproval.

06-05.jpg

Child Kings are so easy to fool.

06-06.jpg

So are Bithynian Kings.

06-07.jpg

I had to sell the stockade that was serving as the Royal Palace. Believe me, finding a buyer was insanely hard, but now we can pay for the upcoming war with Bithynia, so I guess there is an upside.

06-08.jpg

As much as I hate to admit it, Stuttering Ephron is a good general. And since I also don’t want to get blamed if we lose, I’m going to let him command my troops and let Eudamidas practice governing things in Thracia.

06-09.jpg

And now that my whole army is across the straits and I am safely at home, it is time to conquer what is rightfully ours!

I wonder if these guys will kill Acrotatus when he reads our declaration of war? I really had higher hopes for Thyatis.

06-10.jpg

Well, Acrotatus was not executed, but it isn't all bad news:

Not only did we crush Pergamom’s army, but we captured their general! This war is off to a super start.

So Archidamus has brilliantly prepared for his latest war and even managed to not piss of the gods too much (in case you were wondering, military access with Bithynia was cancelled as soon as the army setup shop in Pergamom). But enough background, what you have come here for is the exciting teasers! What will become of Sparta’s Army? What will become of the prisoner Eumenes? Will he be killed or ransomed? What do you think? And how pissed off is Stuttering Ephron? The Governor of Thracia one minute, a junior commander under Xanthippus the next. The world of Sparta will never be the same after the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

Who bought your stockade? I really hope they weren't Bihtynians :D
And of course, precious update!

Great start - from humble beginnings, etc. etc...
So the Pergamon and Bythnians gave you military access and then you attacked? And no penalty for that?
Very enjoyable read!

Soulitaire said:
Great start - from humble beginnings, etc. etc...
So the Pergamon and Bythnians gave you military access and then you attacked? And no penalty for that?
Very enjoyable read!

I cancelled the access Bithynia gave me before the DOW...I guess since I didn't DOW Pergamon, I didn't get the penalty...it would have be a -2 Stab hit otherwise.

Alfred Packer said:
I cancelled the access Bithynia gave me before the DOW...I guess since I didn't DOW Pergamon, I didn't get the penalty...it would have be a -2 Stab hit otherwise.
Crafty! See, it's the characters you have to play with that are incompetent. I'm curious to see if your little war will backfire..

Onwards to Glory! And loots and ransoms and ... :D

I can't stop thinking about who actually bought that stockade...

A nice light-hearted AAR.

hjarg: Probably the Achaeans

Berrie: I don;t know, for every crafty plan there are usually two bungled schemes

Murmurandus: Indeed Onwards!

Snugglie: Probably the Achaeans...wait I said that already

491-496

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

A Very Special The Adventures of House Eurpontid, 1 January 491 AUC to 5 March 496 AUC

07-01.jpg

Bithynia has been stormed and conquered! Pontus and Pergamon sign immediate peace treaties with me, which is great…I was really scared they would manage to overrun my new conquest.

07-02.jpg

And now, Bithynia with all her rich, juicy, gold-producing, delicious Helots is all mine!

As a reward for bringing so many slaves into our Kingdom, I have promoted Xanthippus to governor of Bithynia. You conquered them, so now you get the high honor of working them to death!

07-03.jpg

I have decided to, once more, assume personal control over the new army in Sparta. This is for two reasons: 1 – While Acrotatus The Traitor is a better general, well…his name just kind of puts me off. And 2 – I am still trying to rebuild my military reputation after that bungled battle with the Barbarians.

07-04.jpg

I am not even going to tell you what I caught Alcetus and the Priest doing last night. I think I need to just get him away from that dirty old man.

07-05.jpg

I’ll let him command the boat for a while. Since we keep it in Thracia now, he will be far away from the priest, and hopefully life in the military will help toughen up the boy.

07-06.jpg

And Charis pumps out a fine Grandson. I love having little Ikesios running around the place…he is such a delight. Well, except for during his naps. The tyke kind of fights those. Oh, and at feedings – sensitive stomach. And also he cries when his mother isn’t holding him – he’s very attached you see. And I’m not even going to describe his bowl movements.

Okay, scratch that. I love going over and visiting little Ikesios for maybe 20 minutes and then finding excuses to go home.

07-07.jpg

Macedonia is involved in a rather nasty Civil War. Normally, I wouldn’t care, but since there is fighting in Thessaly, the 11,000 soldiers moving back to Sparta are stuck cooling their jets in Macedon.

07-08.jpg

You know what, son? Since we are the Royal family, you are really only stealing from yourself.

07-09.jpg

It is always tragic when a son dies before his father. The fact that the dead child is Telesphoros, rather than my other useful children, eases the pain quite a bit.

07-10.jpg

Macedonia seems to be suffering through some very serious problems…if they continue, I may have to stab my old ally in the back and grab some of their land.

Well, it sure is nice to see Archidamus taking an interest in his allies…unfortunately, it is an opportunistic and greedy interest, but hey, we take what we can get. Join us next time when we find out if Archidamus attacks or if he just sits and waits some more on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

So another nice victory. Asia Minor looks like to be a fertile place for future expansions.

So you sent a weak-willed submissive son and heir away from a priest to a boatload of sailors? Why is that ship is beached in Bithynia?

Between the rebels, barbarians and Spartans, the Macedonians aren't going to be in very good shape. You have got an army in Macedonia. Spartan glory awaits - and the opportunity to take Athens.

And a backstab here and a backstab there
Here a stab, there a stab
Everywhere a backstab
Archidamus had a plan

:D

stnylan: Possibly, but first - the Hated Achaeans must fall!

Chief Ragusa: As for the boat? I don't know - It seems a lot of ships have trouble navigating the straits!

comagoosie: I am here to serve :D

Berrie: I've modelled him on Fred McMurray

Mumurandus: :rofl:

496-502

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

Opportunity Knocks, 5 March 496 AUC to 11 January 502 AUC

08-01.jpg

It appears Macedon is going to survive its Civil War…well shoot. Hopefully we’ll get another shot at them.

As for Achaea: well, their days are numbered, once I’ve raised a large enough army to deal with them and guard against Barbarians.

Hated Achaea, I should say.

I hope they haven’t raised much Heavy Infantry.

08-02.jpg

What’s funny is, I just noticed that giant Barbarian Horde storming down on Thracia. I guess I need to pay the troops again.

08-03.jpg

We’ve been through this before too. I am 100% positive we’ll win out before Thracia falls into enemy hands…as long as it wasn’t the city wall funds Eudamidas embezzled.

08-04.jpg

Huh. Okay then. Now I am confidant that my armies will retake the province! I am also confident that it was the city wall fund Eudamidas was ripping off.

08-05.jpg

Okay. I am considerably less confident now than I was earlier…now I am vaguely hopeful the barbarians will move on before we have to fight them again.

08-06.jpg

You know what? Now I am confident again…Confident that Apollonides is a horse’s ass.

08-07.jpg

See? That wasn’t so hard…all it took was a little Phocas.

Ha! Get it? Phocas…focus?

I kill me.

08-08.jpg

We promise to provide our typical levels of moral support

08-09.jpg

Well, well, Hated Achaeans…it would seem you have loyally sent most of your army off to war, while mine is still right here…hmmmm. What Would Lycurgus Do?

08-10.jpg

This is what he would do!

Archidamus is about to fulfill his dreams and crush the hated Achaeans! And all it took was back-stabbing treachery! Will the Acheans make it home before his sneak attack seizes the city? And what of Macedonia? Whose side will they pick in this clash? Hopefully Sparta’s! Things heat up on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

Very nice backstabbing... now hoping you can avoid battles as euh, it seems that Sparta is lacking somewhat on that area... Sometimes... It seems... ;) :D

haha yes! The old wait till the husbands gone to work ploy!

Murmurandus said:
Very nice backstabbing... now hoping you can avoid battles as euh, it seems that Sparta is lacking somewhat on that area... Sometimes... It seems... ;) :D
It is also lacking something called money... ;)