• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heh, good start... Incompentent Kings FTW... :D

Excellent to see another "Adventures of" AAR, brilliantly funny so far!

comagoosie: they do. So far, I like how they operate...it seems true to the era.

Chief Ragusa: Thanks for the tip - the last thing Sparta needs is to anger the gods! And yes, the royal family cuts a pretty sorry scene at the helm of the armies.

hjarg: I guess it could have been argued either way - I think I remember reading somewhere that Sparta had only 700 Citizens by this time period. And Thanks!

Berrie: I'm glad you like it, hopefully it continues to amuse!

Murmurandus: Hooray! Murmurandus! I am now assured of at least one comment per update!

English Patriot: Thanks! and welcome aboard! Hopefully this is more action packed than Hawaii!

And now, since Tuesday morning will be busy at work, I give you the Tuesday Update 10 hours early!

478 - 481. I have no idea when this is "BC"-wise.

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

Triumphs for Others, 28 November 478 AUC to 27 August 481 AUC

04-01.jpg

Well, the conquest of Thracia is not exactly the financial bonanza I was hoping for. I can’t cut the military budget while those damn Barbarians are still running about and the Spartan Citizens, rather than being all excited that we are finally movers and shakers on the international warfare scene again, just want to whine and complain about me leaving the city defenseless. Also they really got upset that we conquered those Thracians for no reason, claiming that “because we can” doesn’t count. Oh yeah, and it turns out there are even less slaves in Thracia than there are in Sparta, so “because we needed more slaves” isn’t working as an excuse either.

Come on people. Doesn’t anyone remember Platea? What about that time we burned Athens? Or when we burned the whole army of Argos to death inside their Sacred Grove? “Because we can” used to be a perfect rational for Spartan Violence!

I did get some satisfaction from telling the Aeotlian League that Sparta Pays Tribute to No One! I left out the part about how paying tribute would quickly bankrupt us. It’s none of his business. Gods, I hope they don’t attack us.

04-02.jpg

Macedon sure moves quick. The Maedian Barbarians had barely been crushed when all of a sudden Macedonians move into the neighborhood.

I wanted that land. I hope they all die. Of course, I still offered to sell them grain from Thracia.

04-03.jpg

Barbarians have returned to Thracia. I was going to question Apollonides’ decision to place his militia in the center, leaving the heavy infantry on the wings. Then I remembered how well my battle planning panned out and decided to save myself the embarrassment.

04-04.jpg

See. I’m glad I kept my mouth shut.

04-05.jpg

Wait…they can do that? Oh man. Thracia is going to get expensive.

04-06.jpg

On the plus side: Apollonides has massacred a tribe of barbarians, bringing gold and sweet, sweet helots.

On the negative side: Apollonides has won like 10 battles now and is far more liked than I am. It is time for me to leave this place and Apollonides is coming with me.

04-07.jpg

I also had to throw the guy a Triumph. I tried to mumble through the part where he brilliantly converts my ignominious defeat into a thunderous victory, but I doubt anyone was fooled.

04-08.jpg

I think “weak willed” is an excellent trait for the powerful courtiers to have.

04-09.jpg

I am also thinking that Acrotatus The Traitor might not be the best liaison between Sparta and the gods. Seriously, that is his nickname.

04-10.jpg

And Epirus has come seeking an alliance. Of course, I said yes. They will come in handy someday when we get to exact revenge on the hated Achaeans.

That oh so distant day.

Barbarians repelled! Alliances formed! Triumphs given! Kings whined! Action was everywhere and yet precious little happened. Will Archidamus continue to push for Spartan Glory or will he die of old age? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

Sounds like Apollonides is holding well to the old Spartan traditions. Let's just hope the other Greek alliances don't decide to rush in to have Sparta for dinner...

I think it's time Macedonia declares war on the Traitors League so you can backstab them... ;) :D

Ahh the joys of Barbarian invasions :D

Macedonia is not coping very well with those barbarians. Historically, they reached Delphi, sacked it and were a huge horde. They could reach Sparta. Apollonides might have to lead one final glorious battle. Then. Oh for the chance to ally with Epirus, Aetolia, Illyria and Achaea and carve up Macedonia.

Last edited:
Berrie: Alfred Packer you're a genius!

General_BT: So far, so good, but those 19 Regiments in Achaea have me constantly nervous

Murmurandus: Oh, there is always time for Spartan Treachery!

English Patriot: They are persistant buggers

Cheif Ragusa: Macedonia is having serious problems this game with barbarians...having frontier territories can get really expensive

comagoosie: thats fine with me - Since the Romans won't deal with me, I'd rather have little Epirus than another big power in Greece

481-488 Time Flies

Archidamus Eurpontid

King of Sparta

Spinning Wheels and Insulting Children, 27 August 481 AUC to 31 March August 488 AUC

05-01.jpg

We finally have enough gold to make a proper sacrifice to the gods!

05-02.jpg

My devout five year old son Alcetus felt that the proper way to honor the gods would be to sacrifice 100 virgins. Kid, in about 15 years you will feel pretty stupid for suggesting that.

The new Chief Priest Areus, The Not Nearly As Traitorous As His Father Acrotatus, instead insisted on a massive and elaborate ceremony with games, prizes, feasting, tons of public speeches and finally, I had to personally sacrifice 10 White Bulls to appease Zeus. It was disgusting.

Next time, I’ll just throw the money in the ocean. Poseidon will know who it’s for.

05-03.jpg

Our Auxiliaries think a little too highly of themselves. And apparently a little too highly of the Spartan treasury.

They won’t be missed.

05-04.jpg

I was talking to the Chief Priest today and he kept going on and on about what a bright young boy Alcetus is and what an asset he’d make to the priesthood.

This all came as a surprise to me. I’d written him off as a total dunderhead after the whole “let’s sacrifice the pretty young women” thing.

05-05.jpg

I have given myself command of the newest army of Hoplites. This is for two reasons. First – I need to redeem myself over that whole Barbarian War thing. Second – and I kid you not – the only person more qualified than me to lead the new army was Acrotatus The Traitor, the guy I fired as Chief Priest.

05-06.jpg

Stuttering Ephron sent me some interesting information today. He claims that Bithynia used to be part of Thracia and, since we own Thracia, Bithynia should be ours.

Of course, since the current owners of Bithynia are allied with mighty Pontus, nothing will probably come from this. Why couldn’t Achaia have been part of Thracia?

05-07.jpg

As Alcetus shows himself to be a bigger and bigger fool and tool every day, I am starting to worry about the evil Agiad family’s interest in him. Alcetus will have to be sent away as soon as he is old enough. Maybe I’ll let him command the boat for a while.

05-08.jpg

The Thracians are rebelling. I am starting to regret not paying any money to the soldiers for so long.

05-09.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the army ran away. At least Xanthippus got the blame for it all. Hopefully, Stuttering Ephron can hold the city until the soldiers can be bribed back into battle.

05-10.jpg

Well, that actually turned out pretty well.

So Archidamus did not die, but he also did not push for Spartan Glory. He did, however, push for Spartan bankruptcy by actually paying the army. Join us next time when Eudamidas gets a new job and Stuttering Ephron gets the shaft on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of House Eurpontid!

----
Unrelated Note: Next update I will begin editing pictures, rather than using the whole screen shot. My reasoning till now has been that, since Rome is a new game, people might be interested in seeing the whole screen, but really, I think I'm just being lazy.

I'm wondering who is the most incompentent... There are really a lot of contenders... I also think it's time to loot some rich country... ;) :D

Yes, Alfred Packer bringing his customary CK humour and wit to Rome! Very much looking forward to this. And this is a great start:
My son commands our boat.
:rofl:

Alfie! You're supposed to tell your faithful Crovan-readers explicitly when you start a new AAR :D

This also gives a very good insight into how the game mechanics work... Which is of high interest for me, since I might buy the game.

This guy seems normal though, for a Crovan. Or wait... what was I talking about?

"My devout five year old son Alcetus felt that the proper way to honor the gods would be to sacrifice 100 virgins. Kid, in about 15 years you will feel pretty stupid for suggesting that."

Thank god he didn't do that. ... How could anyone do that...? :D

comagoosie: I know...I don't think I could ever forgive the lad!

Nimismies: They didn't retreat: They attacked backwards!

Snugglie: Welcome over! I highly recommend this game - it is awesome...this afternoon when I do the Crovan update, I will add a link over here!

Berrie: It removes the temptation to embezzle

safferli: yeah, that was a good line

Murmurandus: I'm guessing the player!

Chief Ragusa: he is a crafty one...I think I know how to neutralize that though!