• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
germanpeon said:
... If you are worried about having nothing interesting to say, fear not. You can give us an update on your force composition, research, industry, etc. so that the story makes sense from a gameplay standpoint.
Gameplay update #2

Map, March 1st, 1940:

Mar1_map.jpg

U-Boat Patrol Lines (72 Boats currently out on Patrol):

Mar1_map2.jpg

The Eastern Front:

Mar1_EF.jpg

The Yugoslav Border (they have recently broken the Pact with me):

Mar1_Yugo.jpg

Army:

Mar1_Army.jpg

Airforce:

Mar1_Airforce.jpg

Navy:

Mar1_Navy.jpg

Sliders:

Mar1_Sliders.jpg

Current Research:

Mar1_Research.jpg

Industrial Research (Circled in red are some key Techs needed for advancement... Army, Airforce, Advanced Pieces, Mass Production, Refined Fuels):

Mar1_Industry.jpg

Infantry Research (The last Cavalry Tech... Semi-Mechanized II... is Air Cav: Helicopters!):

Mar1_Infantry.jpg

Armor Research:

Mar1_Armor.jpg

Naval Research:

Mar1_Naval.jpg

Aircraft Research:

Mar1_Aircraft.jpg

Land Doctrines:

Mar1_LandDocs.jpg

Naval Doctrines:

Mar1_NavalDocs.jpg

Air Doctrines:

Mar1_AirDocs.jpg

Those tech-trees remind me of the HoI1 techtrees in places.

Am I correct in thinking those U-boat positions mean you don't have a complete inner ring? Or are there U-boats off-camera, so to speak?

That is one of the most complicated trees I've ever seen.
What are the clear boxes with white letters in them?

Thanks! :)

Iche_Bins said:
Great AARm I love your style
Thanks for the kind remarks.

Iche_Bins said:
Whats your researchspeed?
Currently down to 148%, because I've been researching a lot of stuff off the Industry page. It peaked earlier at around 180%.

stynlan said:
Those tech-trees remind me of the HoI1 techtrees in places.
They are indeed fiercely complicated.

stynlan said:
Am I correct in thinking those U-boat positions mean you don't have a complete inner ring? Or are there U-boats off-camera, so to speak?
My U-Boats are assigned to Sea-Areas... Convoy Raiding is an Area-based mission... so they shuffle back and forth within the area. The ring keeps opening and closing, and there's no real way to prevent it. Quite effective, though... I must have sunk about 1200 Convoys in six months.

ColossusCrusher said:
That is one of the most complicated trees I've ever seen.
Prerequisites. I need "Refined Fuels" for Motorized Infantry, "Army Planning" for the next level of SMG/MGs, etc.

ColossusCrusher said:
Looks like requirements from other trees for the most part, or requirements that would be too awkward to connect with a line.

There are an awful lot of doctrines in German.

dublish said:
Looks like requirements from other trees for the most part, or requirements that would be too awkward to connect with a line.

There are an awful lot of doctrines in German.

It's one of the things that make mod34 even more fun :)

damn laggy though.

Why are you building both interceptors and figthers? Does the benefits make up for the extra research time?

And why are you researching heavy cruisers? Are you planning on building a cruizerg fleet?

Its AAR's like these that remind me of how crap I am at HOI

Oh dear... with a tech-tree like that, I don't think I can ever even begin to think to try out Mod34! ;)

blue emu said:
Thanks for the kind remarks.

Currently down to 148%, because I've been researching a lot of stuff off the Industry page. It peaked earlier at around 180%.

btw how's your opinion on militia in mod34, they seem awfully bad compared to all the soft attack buffs of regular infantry? The manpower requirement is also higher, at 6.5MP, and they aren't exactly cheap IC-wise either?

So you just built them to obtain ever more elite waffen-ss troops right, a cunning strategy I must admit? :p

btw, how did you get that high of a research bonus? well you seem to have your naval doctrines at least in good condition. The only time I managed to get a percentage that high was when I started as Finland and it simply was such already in the beginning :rofl: Too bad I didn't have the awesome german techteams as well

BTW: doesn't it seem kinda strange that germans in this mod could adapt keynesian economics, I mean john maynard keynes AFAIK was a british economist, after whom the economic theory is also named. I was just wondering how weird it would be if the germans actually invented keynesian economic theory before the brits or something...

he did implement some of his ideas already in wartime i guess. and at the endphases of ww2 he also visited the conference at bretton woods, after which the monetary system is also named....

okay, enough of my ramblings, but it does seem a bit strange eh? :D

Last edited:
That's one complicated research tree. :wacko:

Nice wolf-packs you have going there, seems a bit like the ones in RL actually. :D

blue emu said:

180??? :eek:

As Japan i struggled to get 100 workin... how much you must have in doctrines and all that! *faints*

Laurwin said:
btw how's your opinion on militia in mod34, they seem awfully bad compared to all the soft attack buffs of regular infantry?
The higher Manpower cost and ICd cost of Militia does indeed reduce their usefulness to me, despite the much-improved stats (eg: Soft Attack quadrupled)... after all, I don't build them for their combat stats.

Pwn*Star said:
Why are you building both interceptors and fighters? Does the benefits make up for the extra research time?
In this mod, I would prefer Fighters... but Improved Fighters require "Planning of the Airforce", a very difficult-to-reach Tech, while Improved Interceptors do NOT. Also, I selected "Attack Focus" rather than "Range Focus", so my Interceptors are quite short-ranged. Basically, I amm building Interceptors for western Europe, and Fighters for the East Front.

Pwn*Star said:
And why are you researching heavy cruisers? Are you planning on building a cruizerg fleet?
Yes. Not for a while, though... so I have some time to tech-up.

Note that the more non-Industrial applications I research, the higher I can keep my research modifier and the more Techs, in total, I can research... but the longer it takes to reach each important Industrial "turn-key" prerequisite (such as Special Materials, Advanced Pieces, Mass Production, Refined Fuels, Army Planning, Airforce Planning, Light Alloys, etc.

180% is indeed impressing, I never reached 150% with germany (of course it was my first game and i didn't see that industrietechs reduced the researchspeed, but still nice).

I'm suprised to see helicopters in in the semi mechanized cavalry tech, In the version of mod 34 I have, you have to research jet engines and all cavalry techs (cvalry 36, 38 and 41 I think) to get to helicopters. Are you surte you don't need any jet technologies for it? Not that you end with an unpleasent suprise...

I almost never got anything above 110-120% as Germany. I almost have one industrial tech on research along the path of the keypoint techs I am after. For example, the obvious first target would be materials.

chowbeng said:
I almost never got anything above 110-120% as Germany. I almost have one industrial tech on research along the path of the keypoint techs I am after. For example, the obvious first target would be materials.
I was trying a "Tech Sling-Shot" approach... deliberately falling behind in Industrial Techs in order to boost my Tech modifier as high as possible before switching to Industry just in time for the war. My focus on Rockets helped, because they give about twice to three times as much modifier as a regular Tech. I may have over-done in though... it's 1940 and I have only 9 Armor and still can't build Motorized or Advanced Infantry... and most of my Land forces still need upgrading.

The 180% speed is impressive. In my current SOV game i'm struggling to keep it over 105% - and i'm trying to keep this as the lowest threshold, because after researching industry recklessly i managed to hit 80% efficiency.

I'm almost certain that the strategy of partially neglecting Industry to improve overall research speed will pay dividends in mid-late game once you start churning out modern troops while the rest of the world is busy upgrading their old stuff('43 and on). Let's see what the Bear has to say about that! Looking forward to the updates,

I dont seem to be able to get anywhere near that. I keep my research around 112% to 120%. Do ministers research bonuses work?