• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very good indeed, I've always wondered why did not Emu start an AAR after doing all those long threads before this one.
Now it is here, I'll be following, looks very funny, that's what I like in an AAR.

I had to subscribe to this. Does this mean you are giving up on the Anschluss thread?

My Lord... what... a .... madn... Spa... what an AAR!!!!

Heh, this is funny! I lol'ed at that von Falkenhausen part. :cool:

Nice, very nice!

Myth, Herbert West, White Daimon, Laurwin, theusje, Foxbat, HannibalBarca, Kaiser_Mobius, BoemsieBoemsie, trekaddict, Midge, Michaeru, Gabriel Anthony, wilegfass, jadam, Forster, Kurt_Steiner, SouthCarolinian, Mangudai and CollossusCrusher:

Thanks for the kind words. As I said in my initial post, this is my first try at AAR-ing, and it turns out to be more work than I'd expected. Typing it up isn't so hard... but it's not easy to keep coming up with new twists, and to avoid becoming too repetitious. I may have to fall back on a few "running gags", but if so I'll always try to intersperse them with new material. That's one reason that I haven't gotten too elaborate with the visual presentation and graphics... simply writing and editing the verbal presentation takes up most of my free time.

First, a few comments on the Mod itself... I really like quintelosky's mod, the complex new Tech system in particular. There are over 670 Techs in the tree, many of them cross-linked... with certain "breakthrough" Techs like "Special Materials" which give access to new levels of technology right across the board.

The lack of "Historical Years" for Techs allows a new level of customization to your Armed Forces... more on that topic a bit later... and the idea of having almost every Tech either increase or decrease your Research speed modifier also makes for an interesting new game balance. You can push ahead in applied Industrial Techs (improving your Factory output), but this draws many of your trained scientists out of the academic field and into applied technology... thus slowing down your basic research rate.

In the present game (which I've already played up to summer 1939, by the way), I decided to rush Rocket techs, just for the hell of it, so I'm behind in a few fields (applied Industry in particular) and have a smaller-than-usual Army, but I've got a nasty surprise ready for my 1939 opponents... and of course, its equally possible that they have a nasty surprise or two in store for me.

The country-specific "Unique Units" also give the game a bit of extra flavor... you'll see mine in action before too long.

Laurwin said:
are you still going to feature some kind of visual representation of the overall situation in the game?
I'll certainly have maps and screen-shots once the action starts to heat up.

Laurwin said:
What I personally found to be funny, was the way this Danish guy used speech bubbles for the German generals in the famous cartoon AAR.
I liked that AAR too... was it the one about Italy? It would be a lot of work, though... I might save that format for a few specific cases, to avoid slowing down my update-rate to a crawl.

Laurwin said:
Indeed, an overall update on the techtree would be awesome
I'll try and devote an update to the Tech Tree later on.

Forster said:
Does this mean you are giving up on the Anschluss thread?
Not entirely, no... I'll still be replying to posts in that thread, but that game is on hold at the moment.

This looks like it will be surprisingly good- I didn't find the humor in the first update to be all that great, but there were some bright spots in the banter between Hitler and Avenol, and the second update was much better.

Keep up the good work. I might have to download Mod34 because of this.

dublish said:
This looks like it will be surprisingly good...
Don't jump to conclusions... it might get worse instead.

dublish said:
... I didn't find the humor in the first update to be all that great, but there were some bright spots in the banter between Hitler and Avenol, and the second update was much better.
Yeah, agreed... as I mentioned, I usually have the opportunity to try my stuff out on co-workers, collect their criticisms, re-write, edit, try again, revise... but this AAR has to work as a first draft. Or fail.

One rather awkward point is that the writing for the first few episodes will be a compromise... after all, I'm trying to highlight quintelosky's Mod, which means that I have to sort of stretch the dialogue to fit any screen-shots of Mod-specific events, and also to form a bridge between one screen-shot and the next... to a large extent, the dialogue must serve the needs of the screen-shots, rather than the reverse. The need for this sort of artificial treatment will certainly diminish as we approach the usual "vanilla" game time-frame.

dublish said:
... Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

This is really good emu, haven't enjoyed a new aar like this in a while. And it is much easier for the eyes to read rather than a full block of text. Which is a nice change I amlooking forward to the next update. Keep up the good work!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Great =D

EXCELLENT! I enjoy both the AAR and the info about the mod.

WarDog said:
EXCELLENT! I enjoy both the AAR and the info about the mod.

Good start, I'm definitely subscribing to this one.

definitely, more gamer-slang could be used. Phrases like "all your base are belong to us" (maybe when the soviets send claims on the baltic region :rofl: )

some amount of L337speak seems appropriate but I wouldn't overdo it either. Also some of the "players" could be AFK for some time, or get kicked like de Gaulle when the time comes :D