• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You God Win Some and you Lose Some: A Family Saga

54.jpg

After the death of my wife, and her failure to produce my a legitimate heir, I've returned to looking through the daughters of Norman lords. Sadly it'll be a few years before any are up for marriage.

Since my conquest of the daughters of my sworn enemies has been put on hold, I've informed my heralds to spread the word. The Duchy of Pom..er.. uh.. We're going to war!

I need to expand my base here in these slavic wastelands, to fuel my later military actions back in England.

Marshall, display the map.

55.jpg

As you fine gentleman can see, the neighboring territory directly to my west as been retaken by dirty pagans. This land was normally part of the Duchy of Knud Knytling seems to have had a problem with that leadership and broken away.

We will use their recent independence to our advantage, the expansion of our Duchy will be realized.

56.jpg

The Marshal and 499 of his best men leave the province of..slus.. Slushpuppy? Who names these places? Er, as he leads our valiant soldiers to conqueror the Pagans it seems all of greater Denmark's armies have also been raised.

I wonder why.

57.jpg

Oh. Well after winning a glorious battle pitted against the pagan menace, all of Denmarkdom showed up annexed the land and gave it back to Knud.

And we get nothing. Great. Frikkn Knytlings, think they own the place.

What's that Courier? An urgent message?! Quickly bring it here.

58.jpg

WHY AM I BEING TOLD THIS?!

*Left hand twitches*

The NORMAN is not my son! I swear Courier, if this is all the news you have..

What?!

59.jpg

William the Usurp, has died. His son Bob now sits in my father's throne. And what a son he is!

Look at those cheeks?! They're huge, they're in his ears..like giant facial puss balls. And that nose! It's like some sort of hideous thumb coming out of his face.

Well Bobby-boy, (who also happens to be sonless?!) Your strange facial handicaps will not slow me down, nor invoke and amount of mercy within.

You...or your descendants, will get theirs!

Er, what's that Courier? Why are you still here?! No, I don't talk to myself often. What?

...WHAT?

..mom?

60.jpg

The Pom..er Something Times - In the month of August of the year 1100 of our Lord Baby Jesus, the venerable Countess Eadgyth Swan-Neck died in her bed. An Anglo-Saxon noble, she was once Queen-Consort to Harold the II of England, before his defeat and death at the hands of William the Conqueror and the Normans. She is survived by her two sons, Harold and Ulf. And various mostly illegitimate grand-children. Her inheritance fell to her favorite child Harold. Her other son, being a known pansy, got nothing. (Continued on page A-3)

funer2.jpg

Page A-3: A State Funeral was held for the late Countess. In attendance were her two sons, as was their Cousin Skuli. Seen as the matriarch of the few remaining Godwinesons, she will be greatly missed.

She was born in 1033, she was 67 years old.

funeral1.jpg

Harold: I don't know why I had to hold your wife's hand during the cerimony.

Ulf: She needed a man to comfort her.

Skuli: What was that?!

Harold: Er nothing Skuli.

Skuli: You guys should really check that girl out over there, she's better looking then that choir girl I got handsy with.

Harold: Skuli, she's like 12.

Skuli: Well who likes to ride a used horse, haha, if you get what I mean? Right? RIGHT?!

Harold: Can we please just focus on the funeral!? MOM just died!

Skuli: What? Sure, whatever. I think someone needs to get laid.

Harold: Skuli?! Who are you talking to!? I CAN HEAR YOU.

Skuli Whatever, I didn't say anything. Stuck-up

Harold: Fine.

Bishop: ..and she will be with her husband, A queen in heaven if not in life...

Harold: Ulf..

Ulf: *Sniff*

Harold: Ulf....

Ulf:*Sniff*

Harold: ULF!!

Ulf: uh, what?

Harold: Ulf, what is around your eyes?

Ulf: Black make up.

Harold: What the Hwæt?! Why?

Ulf: I'm very Emotional.

Harold: ...I hate family reunions.

Bishop: ...her spirit shall sore, and soul shall rest sound. Boundless in joy and happiness within the clouds of heaven, but happy also for her earthly possessions, dreams and aspirations lay soundly and securely in hands of her worthy sons. So that no matter where her soul looks, she'll always smile.

Harold: ...mom.

eadgyth.jpg

---------
Well, Harold failed to secure land from one his neighbors. But his mom gave him some anyways. What will he do with it? And he still needs a wife! His current legacy is unacceptable! Tune in realtivily soon for the next installment of, You God Win Some, and Lose Some: A Family saga

Last edited:
An emo-brother and a promiscuous cousin. And a dead mother, and a king named Bob in England. I'm starting to feel real sorry for this bastard.

You Godwin Son, and you lose some: A Family Saga (that's right I can capitalize different words each time - gotta keep you readers on your toes)

Sorry about last time everyone. Things got a little mushy there towards the end. That's not exactly the Saxon way. I was born in 1066, a month after my dad died. Mom was all I ever knew.

But that's enough of that! For any Saxon may cry; so long as he follows it up with rampant killing.

Marshal! The Map!

61-1.jpg

Previously I had only two counties to call men from. And the "people with a shield with a blue line through it" had two counties as well, which made the odds a bit too even for me. However now that I have added my mom's territory to my own, the balance should be tipped in my favor.

Marshal, ready my horse.

62-1.jpg

Sorry, I'd show you the battles...but Denmark was coming hot on my heels and I had to end things fast before they pulled another 'Knud' on me.

Take my word for it, it was awesome.

63-1.jpg

The new Duchy of Pom..er...of New Angloland!

As you can see, I make a mean 17 shinnies a month. Denmark's plans to yoink me were cut short.

(Don't know if you've ever been yoinked by a man with a Club-Foot, but let me tell you - a few ice bags wont be enough)

64.jpg

Looking over potential brides again, a cursory look tells me she will make an excellent candidate, an only child of a count.

Now I'll just wait a few years...

65.jpg

So a few days ago I found my sso...sooo...

No doubt he's a Norman now.

66.jpg

Courier: Milord, there is someone from the Papacy here to see you.

Harold: Gah, alright send them in.

*Courier bows and leaves*

Harold: Marshal, quickly! Hide the Gold! Chancellor, pull down the nice curtains, and put away the good silverware! Steward get that tapestry off the wall!

*Harold messes up his hair and tears his clothes a little*

Courier: Introducing the most holy ambassador of sacred Rome, Sir Franzibrad.

Harold: Ah it is the honor of my poverty stricken, disease infested, Ethiopian envying court to greet you sir Ambassador!

Franzibrad: Uh..of course your mighty Dukeness. So gracious of you to have me.

Harold: ...

Franzibrad: ...

Harold: ... So uh.. What do you want?

Franzibrad: Most esteemed Lord, I am traveling with over a dozen armies from a dozen different northern kingdoms, Dukedoms and Counties. We are making war on the Holy land, for the holder of the Keys of Rome, the Pope himself as called for a Crusade! I ask now for you to accept your sworn duty to the Lord of all Lords, his most high God. And offer unto us an Army as well.

Harold: Yeah...okay.

Franzibrad: Most excellent, you will surely earn your place in heaven.

Harold: Oh yeah. For sure. Okay Franz, uh you go back to your army and start walking. My army..uh. Well they just need to get their shoes on. Once we get them on and laced, we'll catch up. Okay?

Franzibrad: Ah, you are most wise Duke of Pom...err wherever this is. I will attend to my Army at once and continue heading south, I will await in joyous anticipation of your arrival.

*Ambassador makes his leave*

Marshal: Sir?

Harold: Once he's out of the castle, lock the door.

67.jpg

Guess he figured out I'm not coming.

68.jpg

After waiting 2 years, Valdrade de Bohun was at last ready to marry me. The wedding was set and I traveled to Denmark for the ceremony. As our Bishop began to read the marriage rites, my wife to started yelling for some one to stop.
At first I thought she had decided to call the wedding off, however I then realized she was yelling not at the Bishop but the vacant area to her immediate left.

Apparently a demon who for many years has refused to stop "undressing her with his eyes", had showed up at the wedding to do just that. And she was not going to let him ruin her special day.

I got the hell out of there.

69.jpg

See? That's how a Saxon child grows up.

Hardcore.

70.jpg

I still really have no idea how a Norman and Saxon made a Western Slavic. But either way, her genes are kicking in too.

Don't worry Maria, I'll find a good place for you. That is if you don't off yourself, like a good little Slavic.

71.jpg

Really? That's how you feel?

Because if you do..

72.jpg

I could always use more piety.

-------
Well, after nearly 10 years our hero is still wife-less, still heir-less. Forced to finding comfort in hookers and groupies. At least he made some successful land grabs. ..right!?!

Last edited:
Right! Unfortuntately that land is where the Teutons like to hang out, as you know.

This...

is...

BRILLIANT! I'm in stitches... :rofl: Great dialogue, great images... in short, great!

Saxon, kickass heathen bashing fanatic. Why does this game gotta go and be redundant?

Stumbled on this by accident. I don't follow too many CK AARs, but this is great. Too bad all your base are belong to Teutonic Order...

MechTheDane said:
See? That's how a Saxon child grows up.

Hardcore.

Great line! And I'll agree with Brian, I've never had much interest in the AARs, but this one is fantastic. Excellent pacing and story telling, not to mention, very funny!

You
God
Win
Son
And
You​
Lose
Some
:A Family Saga

(As narrated by Harold Godwineson)

(No you are wrong, there are still MANY notes of hate)

Today as I walked through my Castle, Godwinberg. I noticed something on the wall, most entirely horrifying. Were it not for my strong, vibrant Godwineson constitution, I would have assuredly died on the very spot.

I will now display for you, what I saw. Pregnant women, children, and the weak of heart, please look away for your own safety. What you are about to see would cause the most hardened and dazed crack-harlot, to blow chunks.

73.jpg

Some one painted his portrait.

*Left arm twitches*

74.jpg

It seems Se...Serrr...
...It seems The Norman has flowered into a young women finally.

The matter regarding him is very complicated. For my efforts to secure an heir to a Norman lord did succeed in some regards. The Norman is the heir to the count of Hereford.

When the Count, who is 10 years older than me, dies...I will lose all control of The Norman. And should he breed...well let's just not go there right now.

I do know what will cheer me up though.

75.jpg

Looking at Ulf's Fugly worthless Pansy son! Hahahaha. Ahh, just look at that face.

The worst part is, he looks JUST like his mother.

Ah Ulf, if it weren't for your hair and squinty eye's, I'd be sure we weren't related.

76.jpg

So the other day I found my bastard son Swithelm in his room sharpening his sword. I asked him what he was planning on doing with it...

Swithelm: Father. I have a dream...

Harold: Oh it's fine son, that happens to most young men. I'll just have the maids clean your sheets. Your body is nothing to be ashamed of. Why, I remember when I was your age, one time...

Swithelm: FATHER! That's not what I meant! Just listen for a second.

Harold: Well that's a relief, that was sorta awkward. I usualy have a serf..or a Bishop handy for those kinds of talks..not that I don't like to be hands on it's just..

Swithelm: DAD!!

Harold: Ok. Okay! I'm all ears.

Swithelm: I have a dream. A dream where all Bastard sons are equal. Where non-Bastard sons and Bastard-sons work hand in hand, and inherit hand in hand. Where we can use the same water-fountains, ride in the same places on carriages, not have blue shield stat negative stat things next to our names. Where all bastards and non-bastards are equal. Where a Man's work is all tha...

Harold: Uh Son..

Swithelm: Yes, father? Do you feel moved? Do you see now!?

Harold: Yes, it all sounds very fine and noble. But son, wouldn't you rather just stab and kill See..seer.. The Norman instead? I mean you still likely wont inherit anything, and you'd still have the stigma of being a bastard. But you would get to slice your sword through him, feel his legitimate blood splash across your face, like a refreshing bubbling brook of cold exhilarating mountain water after long hard hike through some dry arid expanse?

Swithelm: You're right dad. Bloody semi-purposeless vengeance is superior to silly notions about man's rights.

Harold: That's my Saxon son!

*rubs his hand through his sons hair*

Harold: Well it was a good talk, I'll see you later.

Swithelm: Yeah dad, thanks for setting me straight.

Days like today, I just feel so proud to be a father.

So proud.

79.jpg

Speaking of being of father, here is the girl I nearly married. Before realizing she was utterly insane.

The problem is, I actually planned on marring her younger sister. Who is almost 16 now.

My Doctors explained to me that 'Temperate', 'Schizophrenic', girls have a fertility rate of -6. I assumed that meant she would never have a child, and die young.

As you can see, that is not true. And in order to protect the inheritance of any children I have with her younger sister...she can never have son.

I'll check up on her later. Talking to my own son...it's made me think of family.

80.jpg

My cousin, Skuli. You might remember him from the funeral. In that Norwegian court he'll never get married.

There must be something I can do for him.
What was it Ghost-Dad told me?

Godwineson's always look after their own.

Hmm. I think I might have exactly what Skuli needs.

81.jpg

My Daughter.

Well, see Maria? I told you I'd find a good purpose for ya, Western Slavic or not! And look, the old lug is lustful! How exciting for you.

Take good care of your Uncle ;)

Ah, doing good deeds always puts things in perspective.

82.jpg

Now, I'll just marry the Crazy lady's younger sister. Despite how ugly she looks.

I'll have to make sure her crazy sister's baby wasn't a fluke...

83.jpg

Nope, she's pregnant again. Oh well, nothing a little 'diplomacy' can't fix.

Hmmm. Well now that they know I tried, no point in stopping.

Godwineson ho!

84.jpg

'Diplomacy' is strangely satisfying, perhaps I should use it more often.

Now to tell the good news to my new wife.

Honey? Honey...?! Where are you dear? Big Wubby bubby bear gots some newws!

Oh there she is...

85.jpg

That's definitely not the condition I left her in.

----------------
With the strange death of Harold's wife only moments after he had her sister murdered, HE STILL LACKS A WIFE. Time is ticking on his biological clock! How much longer can he afford to wait? And seriously, was that girl and her sister life-linked or something? How in the world did she randomly die?

Those questions not answered on the next exciting installment..of this..story.
I really don't have to say the name do I? It's a bit redundant if you have actually read all the way to this point. Glad you understand.

Last edited:
Ah, a nice round of diplomacy indeed... :D

MechTheDane said:
And seriously, was that girl and her sister life-linked or something? How in the world did she randomly die?
As far as I can remember CK, been some time since I really played, the AI assassinates one of your court when you assassinate and are discovered. So the man took revenge by killing your wife. :p

Ah..so thats why she was randomly dead. When I first pulled that up I thought for a moment that somehow I had gotten mixed up and assassinated her instead of her sister.

jordarkelf said:
Another brilliant comedic AAR.

Literally made me LOL.

What?! Nooo! This is not a comedic AAR! This is a Grande Drama, a classical rendering of the life of Harold Godwineson! In the same vein as traditional Revenge Drama's and Icelandic Family Sagas. With only a liberal yet superficial sprinkling of Comedy on top, just to keep the ADD kids satisfied!

Status
Not open for further replies.