• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a truly impressive AAR, one of the best I've seen as I've perused the site. I particularly like your events -- there are so many opportunities to create alternate history events in this game, and you've given me some great ideas for what the USCA might do if it were to stay together. Is there any way to convince you to share your code? Cheers!

drew: Welcome to Platinea and thank you very much for the laud. It is not a problem to share my code (if you mean the event files and so forth) but it wouldn't work right on your computer. I have a whole Ricky version installed and solely commited to this AAR. Because my coding is so bad, for example my events are more or less just triggered about the date and so forth, most events would fire in wrong way, wouldn't work at all or cause ctd. It would need a crapload of workhours to correct all my bad coding by a real modder, which is highly improbable. Sorry for that.

I'm back from France. But what the heck? Only drew commented in those two weeks. What have you done while I was doing absolutely nothing in France? Only skimming around the new fancy HOI3 forum, while you were neglecting good old Vicky? ;)
Just kidding. Hope you all had a great time, too.

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXX - 1856

1856header3.jpg

While the war against Peru was still in its opening phase the twenty platinean states and two territories elected their governors for the next six years. While the elections were held without interference in all states and the Matto Grosso territory the Governor of the Esperanza territory couldn't be elected due to Peruvian troops seizing parts of the territory. Instead the current governor was affirmed by a meeting of delegates in Puerto Hearth.
The election went the way like it was predicted by many politicians and journalists in the previous weeks. The more rural and inland states all voted for the candidates of the conservative Partido Federal while the more industrialized states on the eastern seabord and along the great rivers elected the candidates of the Union Liberal. The liberals also won the states of Santiago, La Paz and Cochabamba due to their promise to create more equal living conditions for the minorities.
The Governmental Elections would have gone by barely noticed if it weren't for the fact, that the new Governors appointed new senators according to their political opinion. And thus the vast liberal majority in Senate, on which the two Prime Ministers could always count on, vanished overnight and the conservatives took over control of the Senate by six seats.
The liberal majority in both houses was gone and only time would tell how this would effect politics in the still young nation.

1856elections.jpg

Despite the state of war between Platinea and Peru imigrants were seeking shelter and fortune in the kingdom at the La Plata River. And more and more entrepreneurs took the chance to earn a lot of money organizing emigration to certain areas, encouraged by the Agricultural Colonies Act. And in June, two weeks after the Governmental Elections, several thousand imigrants heading from the port of Hamburg settled down in three agricultural colonies in the state of Santiago del Esterro. In this heavily wooded area they were ordered to reclaim land from the forests around their settlements

1856agriculturalcoloniet.jpg

Migrants from southern germany on the tween deck of a german clipper ship heading to Platinea.

The Army of the Andes, commanded by General Urquiza, reached Puerto Maldonado on July 15th and began occupying the surrounding area. While no additional peruvian forces were reported in the northern theatre the 3rd peruvian Corps, still believed to be a fake by Urquiza, was sighted by Mitré's scouts near the city of Puno, marching towards Arica.
On 26th of August, after more than two months, Urquiza finally managed to occupy the area around Puerto Maldonado. But there was no time to celebrate the capture of the peruvian city as the scouts report two divisions, the peruvian 7th & 8th Corps, in Atalaya which were heading for Puerto Maldonado. Completely baffled that the peruvians fielded two more divisions and commited them for offensive measures General Urquiza ordered his man to dig in on the edge of the forest outside the town. As two days later another scout reports another division, 6th Peruvian Corps, marching towards Maldonado the efforts two fortify their positions was doubled.
Next bad news came on September 6th, another peruvian division, was reported in Cuzco, on the left flank of Urquizas position closing the last gap in the peruvian line.

On September 14th the 7th and 8th Corps finally arrives at Puerto Maldonado and begin their attack on the Army of the Andes. Despite the fact, that Urquiza commanded three divisions he had only roughly 15,000 men under his command, while the two Peruvian division were at full strength. Six days later the situation worsens as the 6th Corps arrives and enforces the attackers. Urquizas forces were now outnumbered two to one and the platinean casualties rose tremendously while the peruvian losses were low. The future didn't look very bright for Urquizas men but the General was willing to hold the conquered city against the peruvian assault.

1856battlemaldonado1.jpg

Soldiers from the Army of the Andes in their makeshift fortifications, ditches and trenches, during a lull.

While the Chief of Army was fighting in a remote wooden region the Chief of Navy Admiral Thorne arrived with the Royal Platinean Navy in peruvian waters. He was welcomed by the peruvian frigates Limena and Monteagudo which engaged the platinean fleet in Pisagua bay. The two frigates were no match for the overwhelming force. The Limena was sunk on September 21st while the Monteagudo reached heavily damaged Arica harbour which she probably wouldn't leave till the end of the war.

1856navalbattle1.jpg

This famous picture of the Battle of Pasagua shows the the sinking of the peruvian frigate Limena on the far right and the heavily damaged peruvian frigate Monteagudo in the moment when she loses her main mast (second from right). On the left are shown the platinean frigates Archilleus, Ajax, Hercules and Hector (from left to right) turning in order to pursue the fleeing Monteagudo.

At the end of September the situation stalemated. Bot sides defended their positions, spreading their troops all across the border, leaving not a single gap for a fast move or a breakthrough. The only engagement which still was undecided was fought in the thick forests of Puerto Maldonado were both sides had concentrated three divisions lead by their respective surpreme commanders to determine the fate of the northern theater of war. While the platinean troops fought for their very lifes rumours made it to General Urquiza that his adversary Dioniso was awaiting further reinforcements through the 5th Corps in the near future. Due to these circumstances General Mitré once again pleaded the Chief of Army to launch a counter offensive along the entire southern front from Urquiza's left (southern) flank to the pacific, in order to threaten the peruvian operations in the north. Mitré predicted that his forces could throw back the enemy, shorten their own lines and directly threaten General Dionisio's right flank thus forcing him to retreat and redeploy his forces. But Urquiza once again denied his permission and Mitré was condemned to sit still in La Paz.

1856atacamawarautumsmal.jpg

This map shows the stiffend situation along the Platinean-Peruvian border at the end of September 1856. The Battle of Puerto Maldonado is still raging.

While autumn slowly died into winter several businessmen developed the idea of organized market structures. These ideas worked like a drop of oil in a creaky and squeaky gearwheel. The platinean economy run smoothier than ever, the idea of organized market structures was seen as a milestone on the way into an industrialized society.​

1856invention.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, you've been busy while I was gone!

So much to comment on, but I'll start with this, of all the things you've done to make this AAR great, I honestly think the in depth back stories you create for every Random event that occurs are just splendid, and the way you make them intertwine to create a larger story is absolutely inspired!

Your update about the deaths of Admiral Brown and San Martin were beautifully written as well.

I also really like how you are setting up Mitre for success here. The Failures of one only server to make the success of another even brighter!

asd21593: He sure is. ;) You'll get to know him in the upcoming update(s). Especially his skills methinks.

Quanto: You were indeed absent for quite a while and I asked myself if you got annoyed of my extended break. But now I see that was not true and I'm glad to see you back.
I really put some efforts in every event (if selfmade or not) to give them some plausibility and to embed them into my story and my alternate 'universe'. Would I only present you my pictures (which I really like to make and to show) it would be only a nice picture about something but without a story it would be platitudinous and unsubstantial. Just imagine the famous picture of the thin red line or any picture about the battle of Trafalgar but without the background of great historical events they just would be pictures, great works of art may be, but nothing special. Nothing that would stick in the minds of the people.
History partially is nothing but written down randomness (please don't tell my professor ;) ) and it's both unlogical and logical at the same time. Unfortunately the vicky engine isn't able to interweave all these events to a good story so it's up to everyone's own mind to come up with some plausible story. And that's what I try to do. And that's how I like to play the game. Play one year, gather all necessary screenshots, events, pictures, informations (ingame statistics, wikipedia ...) think a few days about it, write the update, think about possible feature developments. Then start all over again.

I really gave my best to dignify San Martin and Admiral Brown, but not out of sheer hero worship or nationalsim but to give my dear readers some insight into the emotions, beliefs and motives of platineans. How they think about their nation and nationalism. And so forth

Only time will tell if Mitre will be successfull and it might take more time than you might think.

Last edited:
Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXXI - 1856

1856header4.jpg

After the Battle of Pasagua Admiral Thorne patrolled the peruvian coast in order to find and engage the peruvian main fleet. The search went on only for a few days. In sight of the peruvian city of Huacho the lookout of the Achilleus reported several masts and a smoke trail on the horizon. The lookout of the Hector verified the sighting of three ships sailing south straight into their arms. Half an hour later the ships could be identified as the 'Valedora', a modern raider and the flagship of Admiral Alvarado, and the frigates 'Congreso' and 'Presidente'. The peruvians sighted the platinean fleet as well and the 'Valedora' gathered way, leading the significantly slower frigates into battle. It is supposed that Admiral Alvarado intended to draw the attention away from the accompagnying frigates upon his own modern and superior vessel. But as the 'Valedora' finally reached the platinean fleet and exchanged the first deathly volleys with the Hector it became clear that Admiral Alvarado bet on the wrong horse. Admiral Thorne had ordered his fleet to set full sail and to close the distance between the two fleets as fast as possible. The platinean ships headed for the 'Valedora' but as the 'Hercules' exchanged the first shots and volleys with the raider the other ships veered to the east and headed now for the peruvian frigates. Admiral Alvarado who had planned to wreak havoc among the platinean vessels due to the higher speed and maneuverability of the 'Valedora' was appalled at the change of course and hastily ordered to tack about and pursue the platinean vessels. This maneuver would have been successfull if the platinean vessels would have focussed solely on the peruvian frigates. But instead only the 'Archilleus', 'Hercules' and 'Hector' headed straight for the 'Congreso' and 'Presidente' while the 'Ajax' and the 'Theseus' together with two corvettes exerted pressure on the 'Valedora' and forded her to veer off thrice. Everytime the 'Valedora' tried to get to the 'Congreso' and 'Presidente' the 'Theseus' and 'Ajax' interdicted these attempts. Thus the sailors on the 'Valedora' were damned to watch deedless while the 'Congreso' and the 'Presidente' were blown into pieces. A crewmember of the 'Valedora' later should write that the platinean vessels were circling the peruvian frigates like a pack of sharks slaughtering their prey bite for bite and bit for bit. The 'Valedora' later on escaped its platinean pursuers only lightly damaged and headed for Lima.

1856navalbattle2.jpg

The key to victory against the Peruvian fleet commanded by Almirante Alvarado in the Battle of Huacho was the separation of the modern Raider 'Valedora' from its accompanying frigates 'Congreso' (second from left) and 'Presidente' (third from left).

Meanwhile the battle in the woods around Peurto Maldonado was fought with increased grimness and vileness. Assault after assault surged against the platinean lines which became thinner and thinner. In the periods were the peruvian infantry regrouped and recuperated the numerous peruvian artillery pieces shelled the platinean trenches and ditches. The originally wooden area around the platinean lines was deforested by the artillery bombardement. As a consequence the platinean soldiers moved ever deeper into the forest, fighting an endless retreating battle against the peruvians. Finally the platinean lines collapsed and those soldiers who weren't taken prisoners struggled to get to Ixiamas where the Army of the Andes regrouped now consisting only of roughly seven thosand soldiers. The better half of platinean soldiers who fought in the woods around Puerto Maldonado had been killed, severly wounded or taken prisoner. The news of the defeat and the heavy losses spreaded over night and the morale of the entire army dropped tremendously.

1856battlemaldonado2.jpg

The image above depicts the final attack on the platinean lines. The Battle of Maldonado will be remembered as one of the bloodiest and most gruesome battles of the nineteenth century.

The 'Gauchos' which were protecting Puerto Hearth and Urquizas right flank were attacked on October 26th. Only two days later Urquiza and the Army of the Andes retreated, the last orders from General Urquiza that reached General Diaz was to hold out against the peruvian attack and buy the 'Army of the Andes' enough time to regroup. After one week of endless fighting and facing the serious threat of an encirclement by the peruvian forces under command of General Eusebio Dionisio at Puerto Maldonado General Diaz ordered the retreat. The 'Gauchos' retreated in the cold and wet november weather and headed for Mision Calvinas.

1856battlehearth.jpg

The picture above shows the 'Gauchos' on their retreat from Puerto Hearth to Mission Calvinas. The retreat was ordered to avoid an encirclement by peruvian forces.

Finally arrived at Mision Calvinas it became clear that they were coming from a light rain circumventing a downpour and directly into the shit. General Dionisio in earnest had tried to encircle them and was now on their heels and roughly 30,000 infantrymen were accompanying him. General Diaz decided to go on the offensive so scene and time of the battle woul be up to his choice. And his choice was a decent one. The 'Gauchos' attacked the peruvian troops in hilly terrain which protected the 'Gauchos' from enemy fire till they were only 80 yards afar. The initial attack of the 'Gauchos' upon the peruvian lines succeeded and several artillery pieces could be destroyed. But the peruvian commanders weren't impressed by this daring attack and launched the counterattack almost immediately. With mounted bayonets the infantry advanced slowly in tight formations and shot down countless riders and their horses. Soon the cavalry charge was repelled by the well trained and well equipped peruvian footsoldiers who outnumbered the 'Gauchos' almost four to one. The 'Gauchos' suffered tremendous losses this day and were forced to retreat towards Forte do Principe.

1856battlecalvinas.jpg
This picture shows the most decisive moment of the battle: General Diaz orders his men to retreat in haste as the peruvian infantry fearless launches a counterattack against the initially taken artillery position.

At the end of 1856 the situation of the platinean army was worse than ever. Urquiza's grand campaign to occupy the plain territories east of the andes had failed and the opportunity to cross the andes and take Lima had vanished. Further the campaign led to the destabilzation and almost dissolution of the entire northern theatre. The peruvians were pursuing the retreating platinean troops and were taking more ground every day. All in all the campaign was devastating for the platinean war effort. Countless platinean soldiers had lost their lifes, their health and their freedom but almost all platinean soldiers had lost their faith. At the end of 1856 it seemed that the peruvian forces lead by General Eusebio Dionisio were unstoppable and undefeatable. And even some members of the high command expected Dionisio soon to come knocking on the gates of La Paz.
But to counter Dionisio's recent actions Urquiza ordered Mitre to march his army northwards to consolidate the northern front and to protect the town of Excaltacion while Urquiza marched his battered army to La Paz in order to resupply and recuperate.

1856atacamawarwinter.jpg

The platinean general staff had nothing to celebrate on new year's eve 1856. Urquiza's campaign in the northern theatre was a complete failure. The defeats at Puerto Maldonado, Puerto Hearth and Mision Calvinas led to the destabilization and finally the breakdown of the entire northern front. Yet it seemed equally disastrous that the armies deployed along the southern theater had been hindered by orders of General Urquiza himself to take action against the peruvians in this area.

Wow disastrous indeed! General Urquiza must be the most hated man in all of Platinea right now! Friggin' crap. If I was King Juan I, would have had him Court Martialed for being a moron! For all the good the Platinean navy had done, the Army failed miserably.

Hopefully Mitre will be able to stall the Peruvians long enough for more divisions to be reinforced!

Viden: They really are on a killing spree!

demokratickid: Play dead? Man I'm not able to kill them when they are still alive I wouldn't have a chance against a peruivan zombie army. And there magic potion is 'breech loaded rifles' methinks ;).

asd21593: You hit the nail on the head. Surplus he is commanding what seems to be a stallion batallion.

Quanto: Let's say he has not many friends these days. Didn't thought about a court martial yet. Interesting idea! I'll give it a thought or two. Mitre definately will have a larger part in the next update(s).

AARs are so much more interesting when things go wrong :D

:rofl:perhaps you should update the table of contents, I had no idea that there was a war with Peru:rofl:

th3freakie: Thanks for your charity ;). But your right. Things are much more interesting with one or two throwbacks every now and then.

mad general:Which table of contents do you mean? the one in the first post or the one in my inkwell post? Nevertheless I never wrote in the index what is happening in the updates...

The one in the first post.

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XXXII - 1857

1857header1.jpg

In early 1857 the railroadlines expanded further eastwards and along with them came numerous busisenessmen who begann to establish hotels, railway stations, post offices, shops and haulage companies. Especially in the city of Cordoba many of these entrepreneurs seeked their fortune and the city became the center of the region.

In the Mesopotamia region those fortune hunters who weren't too forunate headed further north again. And many saw the former capital of Paraguay, Asuncion, as the promised land, where a fortune awaits those who were willing to make it.

1857capitalists.jpg

The 'grand railway fair' in Cordoba displayed the achievements and modern comforts of the Platinean Kingdom, it was held to celebrate the opening of the Cordoba railway station.

On January 3rd, General Urquiza arrived at La Paz and after two days of rest and discussions he declared La Paz a fortress that should never be taken by the peruvians. With immediate effect he ordered the enrollment of every man fit for military service. Within a few days 60.000 men were armed and rudimentarily instructed. Most of them were distributed all along the frontier and among all units to even out their losses. Those who stayed in La Paz were appointed the task to fortify the city.

1857conscription.jpg

After Urquiza's declarartion, nearly every man who could walk and hold a gun was drafted. Most of them never had any kind of military training and mostly received outdated firearms. Nevertheless the morale among the citizens who now joined the fight against the peruvian army was very high.

In late January the 4th peruvian Corps, under the command of General Bustamente, launched an attack against the positions of the "Ejercito del Paraguay". General Mora who commanded the platinean defenders performed exceptionally well, the defenders had fortified their position well and just waited for the peruvian attacks. Cutting them down several times. The inflicted losses were tremendous, and the peruvian troops had to withdraw on February 17th. The bloodtoll on the platinean side wasn't negligible but for every killed or wounded platinean soldier four peruvians lost their lives. The Battle of Ixiamas didn't open up an opportunity for a counteroffensive but it restored the moral of the common soldiers.

1857battleixiamas.jpg

Soldiers of the "Ejercito del Paraguay" firing from behind a massive stone ridge during the height of the battle. While General Mora, on horseback, is shouting commands up and down the line.

On the first of March the remaining peruvian ships, the frigate 'Monteaguo' and the commerce raider 'Valedora', supported by the harbour guns broke out of the port of Lima, which was blockaded by Admiral Thorne's Squadron and headed south in order to harass platinean trade. On March 3rd the three frigates under Thorne's command caught up with the blockaderunners and engaged them near the city of Puno. While the 'Valedora' could evade most attacks the 'Monteagudo' was prone to enemy shelling. A shell from the 'Hector' hit the powder chamber of the 'Monteagudo' and the ship went up in flames. Admiral Thorne ordered to cease all hostilities against the 'Valedora' until all sailors of the 'Monteagudo' could be rescued. Meanwhile the Second Squadron commanded by Admiral Blanco Encalada arrived at the battlefield but the 'Valedora' retreated to Puno harbour the very moment the last sailor had been rescued.

1857navalbattle.jpg

The peruvian frigate Monteagudo (right) burns out while the crew seeks shelter upon the peruvian commerce raider Valedora (left). Admiral Thorne ceased all hostilities for the duration of the rescue.

On March 12th the last railway tracks were laid to connect the railway lines along the pacific seabord with the railway lines along the atlantic seabord. Four of the most populous platinean cities, La Plata-Buenos Aires-Santiago-Valparaiso, were directly connected by the new railway line and almost all other cities were connected by the railway junctions in Rosario and San Luis. Especially the cities of Rosario and San Luis hoped for a golden future due to this most important railway line. While in platinea most people were too occupied with the ongoing war against Peru to celebrate this impressive technological achievement the whole civilized world was astonished about this deed. And the daguerreotype showing the railway workers celebrating the connection between the pacific and atlantic tracks was shown on the frontpage of the important newspapers from New York to Moskau.

1857transcontinental.jpg
The connection of the atlantic seabord and the pacific seabord was one of the most impressive technological achievements of the decade.

The only major action during these cold winter months was the desperate attack of the peruvian 4th Corps on Ixiamas. All in all the situation remained quite calm until late march as scouts report a major peruvian forces marching upon La Paz.

1857atacamawarapring.jpg

The map depicts the Battle of Ixiamas and the peruvian retreat after the defeat as well as the anticipated peruvian attack on La Paz

Author's note:
Selfmade event: The Transcontinental Railroad

How many war exhaustion do you have? And Perú?